The All About Manga Thread

McCheese

Well I recently found myself with some extra free time....

Anywho, I spent some of it getting caught up on some manga and anime. So now I want to see if anyone else is reading what I'm reading. But instead of starting a new thread for all of them I decided to just make a general manga discussion thread. Here's what I'm reading:

One Piece - The American anime sucks noodles. The voice acting is awful, the plots been simplified, the opening rap song is atrocious, the dialogue has been ruined by attempting to make it acceptable to kids, and the animations been altered to be non-threatening (the marines carry water guns instead of rifles and no one ever bleeds). So needless to say I was not that into this, but this series is huge in Japan and I figured what the hell. Thanks to Wikipedia I figured out which anime arcs were canon from the manga and which were filler, so I watched the Japanese version of the anime up till the last episode. Then read the manga from there on. And this series is actually pretty good. It's also good to see an action oriented manga that has no chi, or chi-like powers for a change. Thumbs up to One Piece.

Bleach - Been reading this for a while, this new arc is ok. But I'm actually starting to lose interest.

Naruto - This has it's own thread where I've already professed my love of this series. Currently enjoying Tobi and Deidara vs Sasuke.

Highschool of the Dead - Just what it sounds like. Read this out of sheer boredom. Not highly recommended.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Loved the anime, but heard that the manga took a very different road. I heard right. Aside from the basics, the story is quite different from the anime. And I really like what they're doing with it. The way I'm reading this is sort of a "What if..." version of Fullmetal Alchemist. I am really enjoying this series. HUGE thumbs up for this.

I dislike One Piece. I've read up to the arc with the sand guy with the hook hand in the manga, and I got pretty bored with it.

I read Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist, but I've never heard of High School of the Dead. It's on MangaRun, though, so I'll probably check it out. I've been reading Gantz lately, and it's kind of contrived, but has good art and is still pretty cool.

I dislike One Piece. I've read up to the arc with the sand guy with the hook hand in the manga, and I got pretty bored with it.
The Ennis Lobby Arc is really good.
I read Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist, but I've never heard of High School of the Dead. It's on MangaRun, though, so I'll probably check it out. I've been reading Gantz lately, and it's kind of contrived, but has good art and is still pretty cool.
How do you like the FMA manga? I just started reading it and got completely hooked. I read all 72 chapters in the last few days.

The Ennis Lobby Arc is really good.

How do you like the FMA manga? I just started reading it and got completely hooked. I read all 72 chapters in the last few days.

The FMA manga is fantastic. As good as the anime is, the manga is definitely better. It's had more time to flesh out though; the anime ended too soon.

One Piece - The American anime sucks noodles. The voice acting is awful, the plots been simplified, the opening rap song is atrocious, the dialogue has been ruined by attempting to make it acceptable to kids, and the animations been altered to be non-threatening (the marines carry water guns instead of rifles and no one ever bleeds). So needless to say I was not that into this, but this series is huge in Japan and I figured what the hell. Thanks to Wikipedia I figured out which anime arcs were canon from the manga and which were filler, so I watched the Japanese version of the anime up till the last episode. Then read the manga from there on. And this series is actually pretty good. It's also good to see an action oriented manga that has no chi, or chi-like powers for a change. Thumbs up to One Piece.

:rockon:

:noway:

The FMA manga is fantastic. As good as the anime is, the manga is definitely better. It's had more time to flesh out though; the anime ended too soon.

Wade knows what he's talking about. Plus, with the anime you don't get the little bonus strips in the back of the volume and the characters who died in the volume flying off to heaven or dropping into hell. That's a tragedy.

Last edited:
Wade knows what he's talking about. Plus, with the anime you don't get the little bonus strips in the background and the characters who died in the volume flying off to heaven or dropping into hell. That's a tragedy.
Yes, this is one of those rare 'Wade was right' moments. Savor it Mr. Wilson.

I'm ordering this new manga trade called "Variante Vol. 1" (Pg 111 of the big Diamond Previews book). It's about this girl whose family gets slaughtered and she wakes up with a deformed armed attached to her instead of her own arm and the arm is controlled by someone else. Sounded intresting enough for me so now it's'a comin'!

And it's for Mature readers and in B&W.

I'm ordering this new manga trade called "Variante Vol. 1" (Pg 111 of the big Diamond Previews book). It's about this girl whose family gets slaughtered and she wakes up with a deformed armed attached to her instead of her own arm and the arm is controlled by someone else. Sounded intresting enough for me so now it's'a comin'!

And it's for Mature readers and in B&W.

Manga is in Black and White 90% of the time anyway. I've never heard of "Variante" though.

I agree, I've unfortunately soiled my eyes with the anime. However I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the manga. Where do you guys download new chapters?

Bleach - Been reading this for a while, this new arc is ok. But I'm actually starting to lose interest.

There are a few things about this arc that I would really change, that being said I like the way Grimmjow is being handled, and I'm still interested to see how it ends

Highschool of the Dead - Just what it sounds like. Read this out of sheer boredom. Not highly recommended.

I really can't see this book having a satisfying ending, and the main characters are a little inconsistent.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to check out FMA since everyone highly recommends it.

I agree, I've unfortunately soiled my eyes with the anime. However I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the manga. Where do you guys download new chapters?
I got One Piece from a variety of places, but I just found onemanga.com which is a really cool site with tons of free manga downloads.
There are a few things about this arc that I would really change, that being said I like the way Grimmjow is being handled, and I'm still interested to see how it ends
Grimmjow = Kenpachi

It's actually one of the reasons I'm losing interest.
I really can't see this book having a satisfying ending, and the main characters are a little inconsistent.
Yeah, it's not too good.
Hmm, I guess I'll have to check out FMA since everyone highly recommends it.
Do it.

I got One Piece from a variety of places, but I just found onemanga.com which is a really cool site with tons of free manga downloads.

Cool I'll check it out.

Grimmjow = Kenpachi

It's actually one of the reasons I'm losing interest.

That's true, but I was really thinking about his interactions with Orihime. It would have been really disappointing if he'd just been all "I savs you becuz you heals me LOLZ", I'm glad that he is still a bad guy, and is just using her for his own ends. Also, I like the way that Ishida and Renji's fight is being handled.

Fine!

Cool I'll check it out.

That's true, but I was really thinking about his interactions with Orihime. It would have been really disappointing if he'd just been all "I savs you becuz you heals me LOLZ", I'm glad that he is still a bad guy, and is just using her for his own ends. Also, I like the way that Ishida and Renji's fight is being handled.
Now I really want Grimmjow to talk in internet speak.

"I kilz u Ichigo! ROFLMAO!!!"
Good.

After a delay, last week's jump mangas are finally starting to roll in.

Bleach was extra special boring. The last three chapters have been Ichigo and Grimmjow taking turns blasting each other and now I no longer care. Call me when it stops sucking.

One Piece was a set up issue, but at least the set-up was entertaining. Usopp is going to have his first 1-on-1 fight with a real enemy in a long time. Robin and Chopper also find themselves with a fight on their hands. An especially interesting fight if those approaching zombies are who I think they are. Also, Nami gets married? Good stuff.

Naruto also had a good issue about the fight between Deidara and Sasuke with and interesting cliffhanger moment at the end.

So the jump review for last week. OP and Naruto good. Bleach teh suxxors.

After a delay, last week's jump mangas are finally starting to roll in.

Bleach was extra special boring. The last three chapters have been Ichigo and Grimmjow taking turns blasting each other and now I no longer care. Call me when it stops sucking.

As much as I hate to admit it, your right with this chapter. I think it would help the pace a lot if there was some more efficient use of space (i.e. enough with the full page panels).

One Piece was a set up issue, but at least the set-up was entertaining. Usopp is going to have his first 1-on-1 fight with a real enemy in a long time. Robin and Chopper also find themselves with a fight on their hands. An especially interesting fight if those approaching zombies are who I think they are. Also, Nami gets married? Good stuff.

I love how Perona's ghosts turn people into emos, and Usopp's way to counter that.

As much as I hate to admit it, your right with this chapter.
I know that was hard for you, but of course I'm right.
I think it would help the pace a lot if there was some more efficient use of space (i.e. enough with the full page panels).
Agreed.
I love how Perona's ghosts turn people into emos, and Usopp's way to counter that.
That was great.

I just got caught up with Fullmetal Alchemist, and I like it way better than the the anime version. The revelation on who was Pride was a big surprise.

I just got caught up with Fullmetal Alchemist, and I like it way better than the the anime version. The revelation on who was Pride was a big surprise.
It really is very good. The manga version of Pride would have caught me off guard if I hadn't accidentally spoiled myself. Stupid Wikipedia.

I don't mean that. I love Wikipedia.

Anywho, this weeks Jump mangas are out.

Bleach. Wow, they just can't seem to right this ship. Plummeting ever further into extreme suckitude. About 14 or 15 pages of this are Ichigo fighting Grimmjow and there were like six lines exchanged between the two throughout the whole thing. And they weren't even good lines. And don't get me started with the splash pages. Reading this felt like a chore.

.25/5 Stupid Looking Released Form Grimmjows.

One Piece. Another set up issue. This time the set up is for Sanji and Zoro. Two fights which promise to be quite entertaining and probably only 1 issue long each (take notes Bleach). The subplots for these fights are Zoro possibly having found a new third sword to replace the one destroyed at the end of Enies Lobby and Sanji showing up just in time to prevent Nami's "Wedding". Also, the giant Luffy Zombie is funny and badass. And Usopp shows us the true power of negative thinking.

4/5 Emo Usopps.

Naruto. Whoopee. The Deidara fight is drawing to an end and once again this fight actually manages to be entertaining. Sorry, Bleach is really ticking me off. Back on topic, Deidara almost got Sasuke. Seriously, I had no idea how Sasuke was gonna squirm out of this, but being the ubermensch he found a way. Next week is the end of this fight and probably the end of one of these characters. Gee, I wonder who.

3.75/5 Doomed Deidaras

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back