The Amazing Spider-Man (Spoilery discussion)

How would you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

• Total voters
DIrishB said:
The movie had it's problems, but again I much preferred it to Raimi's films (and I liked those... well, the first two anyway).

I agree I loved the new movie way better then raimi's movies. Garfield/Peter was not a dick and I never noticed the chip on his shoulder because I only payed attention to the story more then the details. *that was not meant to be an insault* it was a great movie just like it for wat it is. Its not like you could make a better one. *once again not meant as an insault*

Sent from my iPod touch using ComicBoard

I agree I loved the new movie way better then raimi's movies. Garfield/Peter was not a dick and I never noticed the chip on his shoulder because I only payed attention to the story more then the details. *that was not meant to be an insault*

I'd respond that the story is made up of the details... you know, stuff like character arcs, character progression through those arcs, etc. The plot is really secondary to characterization, I'd say, and is just a way to further the characters through their respective journeys. But next time you watch it, in the early parts of the film before he gets his powers (and even for awhile after as he's hunting for Uncle Ben's murderer), pay attention to Peter's attitude. He's kind of withdrawn, angsty, etc. Hence the chip on his shoulder comment.

it was a great movie just like it for wat it is. Its not like you could make a better one. *once again not meant as an insault*

Of course I could. I'd have Spider-Man fight Stilt-Man and win on pure awesomeness, and add a twist by having his powers fueled solely by Cherry flavored Pop Tarts, and of course there'd be a mid-movie Lady Gaga music montage as Spidey fights Big Wheel. And it'd end with Kangaroo showing up and stomping on both Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane until they die, so that Spidey'd have plenty of vengeance to fuel the necessary sequel. :p

For the mid-credits scene, I think I'd have Aunt May get bit by a genetically altered spider and introduce her as The Geriatric Spider Lady. Instead of web shooter's she'd have wrist-mounted chocolate chip cookie shooters that could cut villains' heads off. Sort of like the Ringer, but more wholesome and simultaneously more DEADLY!!!

It'd make like a trillion dollars and make The Dark Knight Returns and The Avengers look like ****.

Genius.

If you had said something about replacing Gwen and Aunt May with lingerie models who can't act, and including lots and lots of explosions in 3D I would have thought you'd been possessed by the spirit of Michael Bay

Last edited:
[/QUOTE="DIrishB"] Of course I could. I'd have Spider-Man fight Stilt-Man and win on pure awesomeness, and add a twist by having his powers fueled solely by Cherry flavored Pop Tarts, and of course there'd be a mid-movie Lady Gaga music montage as Spidey fights Big Wheel. And it'd end with Kangaroo showing up and stomping on both Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane until they die, so that Spidey'd have plenty of vengeance to fuel the necessary sequel. :p

For the mid-credits scene, I think I'd have Aunt May get bit by a genetically altered spider and introduce her as The Geriatric Spider Lady. Instead of web shooter's she'd have wrist-mounted chocolate chip cookie shooters that could cut villains' heads off. Sort of like the Ringer, but more wholesome and simultaneously more DEADLY!!!

It'd make like a trillion dollars and make The Dark Knight Returns and The Avengers look like ****.[/QUOTE]

Okay so maybe you could hahah it definitely woul not be like the comics but no you wouldn't make a trillion dollars you would get more and you should consider putting nyan cat somewhere in there too. I would totally see that movie

Sent from my iPod touch using ComicBoard

Last edited:
SuperHeroHype posted an article about who could be the villain in a sequel. They named 11 villains, gave a description of how they could work in the established story, and named actors they think would do a good job playing the part.

It's pretty interesting. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I HATE those slideshow type articles.

I would really dig Chameleon. He shouldn't call himself that and it should be more of a media moniker. That could be really amazing. Kraven might be OK if they do the reality show angle like in USM but I think it would be harder to pull off.

I DON'T want any 3rd-tier characters like Rhino or Vulture.

And Norman Osbourn MUST have a significant presence. Probably not as Green Goblin but they have to set him up for the 3rd movie.

I'm not sure what the line is on who is 3rd tier, but i agree that Rhino couldn't carry a movie by himself. I would love to have an opening scene with Spidey fighting him as just an intro. I think Bendis got it right in USM using certain villains as throw away villains that could be used to show that Spidey does more than fight just the big bads, that there are other villains out there who aren't much of a threat, but make for cool action scenes.

I'm not sure what the line is on who is 3rd tier, but i agree that Rhino couldn't carry a movie by himself. I would love to have an opening scene with Spidey fighting him as just an intro.

I was thinking a passing mention on a police scanner would be kind of cool, but that could work as well.

Third-tier: Rhino, Vulture, Scorpion, Carnage. Guys who could not carry a movie under any circumstances. Actually Carnage/Cletus Kassaday could work better than Venom but I'd hate to see them try it and I don't think they want to make a Spider-Man movie about a psychopathic serial killer.

I disagree about vulture. But okay.

You think Vulture could carry a movie? What about him makes you think that?

He's completely one-dimensional...There's no way there's a movie's worth of story in him.

Probably true, but the villain almost never carries the story in Spider-Man - Peter Parker and the people around him do - that's why Spidey is different.

Doc Ock is pretty one dimensional but they gave him a connection to Peter and Harry, and killed his wife, which made him a slightly more interesting character. Then the drama between Peter/Harry and Peter/MJ and Peter/Aunt May and Peter/JJJ and Peter/his landlord and Peter/NYC, and Peter/himself carried the main part of the story (as it should have) and they were still able to have cool action sequences between Spidey & Doc Ock and have a fun movie.

I think if they do something similar with vulture he could totally be the main villain

Last edited:
Doc Ock is pretty one dimensional but they gave him a connection to Peter and Harry, and killed his wife, which made him a slightly more interesting character.

I dunno...they also gave him a piece of the plot which was related to his character and what he did. He's more than just a one dimensional character. Vulture just isn't. I can't see anything in the character that could justify making him a larger part of the movie like they did with Doc Ock or Lizard.

So make Adrian Toomes a disgruntled Oscorp employee with a vendetta against Osborn for stealing his flight tech. That way Osborn is the true villain and Vulture provides the aerial action scenes.

(although, this s exactly what they did with him in the Spectacular Spider-Man show, so they might not want to go that route again).

Last edited:
So make Adrian Toomes a disgruntled Oscorp employee with a vendetta against Osborn for stealing his flight tech. That way Osborn is the true villain and Vulture provides the aerial action scenes.

(although, this s exactly what they did with him in the Spectacular Spider-Man show, so they might not wan to go hat route again).

But just providing aerial action scenes isn't enough. He's still just a guy that flies. He doesn't really do much else.

In a monthly comic that has to constantly turn out stories it doesn't make a huge difference, but to have him in a movie...there's just nothing there.

I look at how he was used in 1602 as a good indicator of what there is to work with. He was barely used, and only really served as a weapon of Otto Von Doom.

I never read 1602, but I'll take your word for it.

When you say "he doesn't really do much else" do you mean as far as being a threat to Spider-Man physically, or as far as the depth of the the character and his motivations, or both?

Either way, I feel like his character can be fleshed out and beefed up a bit to make him work.

When you say "he doesn't really do much else" do you mean as far as being a threat to Spider-Man physically, or as far as the depth of the the character and his motivations, or both?

I guess more in the way of the depth of his character and motivations. Compare him to Lizard/Curt Connors who has the element of tragedy to his character and has that established relationship with Peter. Toomes has none of that. It's just a guy with wings. There's nothing to him.

I guess more in the way of the depth of his character and motivations. Compare him to Lizard/Curt Connors who has the element of tragedy to his character and has that established relationship with Peter. Toomes has none of that. It's just a guy with wings. There's nothing to him.

Vulture is a scrawny old bald guy who dresses up as a carrion earing bird and whose only power is to fly around (which is usually a pretty awesome power, but by virtue of his other traits its insanely lame based on virtues versus ridiculous factors). He has razor sharp wings that shoot blades and super-human strength based on his flight harness, but his over-powering lameness both in appearance and animal costume/totem choice over-ride any "coolness" those factors might have. I'd classify that as tragic. Plus his appearance (even without the costume) just screams pedophile. I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable Spider-Man/Chris Hansen team-up comic "To Catch a Non-Threatening 'Predator'--with Wings!".

Last edited:
MJ - eh. I wish they wouldn't bother, unless we got a character that was more in line with what MJ was in the 70s and caused some kind of friction between Pete and Gwen. I guess. Kirsten Dunst MJ was lame-o to the max.

Electro would be cool. If he had the classic Electro costume it would probably keep me from watching the movie, though. Electro shouldn't have a costume at all. Make him like the Ultimate version.

Latest posts

Back