The Amazing Spider-Man (Spoilery discussion)

How would you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

• Total voters

Bass

Nexus of the World
Just got back from seeing this and my twitter feed is me singing it's praises. Bloody wonderful, the best Marvel movie to date, and finally: a good Spidey film. Great fun.

Wow. So good! The crane scene was hokey, the rest was amazing (no pun intended).

It's hard to compare this to the Avengers because it's such a different movie (as it should be). The story wasn't Spider-Man vs the Lizard, it was Peter and Gwen. And Webb, Garfield, and Stone NAILED it.

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) pre-release news & discussion

I'm a fan of any movie where C. Thomas Howell saves Spidey, and without blackface.

But it was fantastic. Webb and the actors did a much better job with the love story than the Raimi films, and I enjoyed the slightly darker, brooding take on Peter (as opposed to the comics, 616 or Ultimate, and Maguire's take in the previous movies).

And I enjoyed the awkward moments between Gwen and Peter, there was a resonant genuineness to them that sorely lacked in Maguire's and Dunst's respective portrayals. I thought the reveal of Pete as Spidey to Gwen was pretty slick and less cliched than most superhero pics.

I also enjoyed the Lizard as a villain, as physically he was a very close match for Spidey's wall-crawling and agility and the fight scenes were a lot of fun. The Stan Lee cameo was a good laugh. Dennis Leary as Capt Stacy was great also.

One question: who do you think the guy in the shadows in Connors cell was in the mid credits scene? I'm going with Osborn, for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved the discussion into its own spoiler thread.

I watched the movie last night and loved every bit of it. I definitely like it better than all three previous combined (but I still like the first two). One of the key factors that made this better, as least Garfield portraying a better Peter Parker than MacGuire's take was that Garfield was more believeable as Peter, especially when it came to being scared and surprised than later excited about his powers.

And of course I wasn't surprised that Norman's face wasn't shown on that giant digital poster or whatever it was at Oscorp since no one's been cast as him yet. The guy in the cell is very likely Norman seeing that once again, a face is blacked out and since Peter's dad worked for Oscorp this time (and his death was no accident), it'd make sense for Norman to have been behind it all.

I really hope Norman (along with MJ and Harry) are introduced in the next film, and that Norman is shown to be the "big bad" in the background (and probably the guy in the shadows at the end of the first film). There needs to be a secondary story arc in number 2 about Norman being sick and trying to cure himself which leads to him becoming the Green Goblin at the end of the film.

The bad guy that Peter fights should be someone we haven't seen before. Vulture would be cool and it could tie into the Norman story like in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

Then number three is Green Goblin done right. Harry gets into drugs b/c of his dad and b/c MJ has been stringing him along, GG kills Gwen then dies himself. Movie ends with MJ trying to be there for Peter like the scene in ASM #122.

Potentially there could be an after credits scene involving Harry finding out Peter is Spider-Man. I know a lot of this has been done. But I really want to see it done right!

Guy at the end that appears and disappears in Connor's; I'm going to go with Mysterio or, even more obscured, The Spot

Poll added because I want to see what you guys think without reading spoilers.

DIrishB said:
Well according to Avi Arad and one of the producers, the guy in Connors cell at the end actually isn't Osborn... Hmmmm....

I'm not strongly arguing for it being Norman, but basing anything on what Avi Arad said is a mistake.

I gave it five stars. Honestly, I wanted to give it 4.5 but that's not an option. 4 stars - 80% - is too low though.

Last edited:
The action scenes really captured what it would be like to be Spidey!! For that alone I think this version was better than the originals

Agreed. The action choreography was brilliant. Even the awesome bit where lizard makes a concoction in the school lab.

Captain Canuck said:
I'm not strongly arguing for it being Norman, but basing anything on what Avi Arad said is a mistake.

I gave it five stars. Honestly, I wanted to give it 4.5 but that's not an option. 4 stars - 80% - is too low though.

Same rating for me. I also rate movies I see on Mubi, who also doesn't do the half star thing either, unfortunately.

Bass said:
Agreed. The action choreography was brilliant. Even the awesome bit where lizard makes a concoction in the school lab.

Yes that was awesome!

I loved the part where Spidey crawled all over the lizard and webbed him up like a Spider would do to a fly. I've never seen that concept used before. It was sort of creepy, but brilliant!

Last edited:
Captain Canuck said:
I lived the part where Spidey crawled all over the lizard and webbed him up like a Spider would do to a fly. I've never seen that concept used before. It was sort of creepy, but brilliant!

Totally agree!! That part was sweet!

Still havn't seen this yet. Couldn't go see the midnight showing on tuesday cause I was to tired lifting tree limbs. I got in line to see it on tuesday durning the day and my father call with an food emergency. (My dad's a diabetic, and I guess my mom was in a hurry and under cooked some hard boild eggs. also he hurt his back and he can't get up to feed himself.) So I had to rush home to feed him. And havn't had the time to see it. I hope I can see it Sunday.

Last edited:
the watcher said:
Still havn't seen this yet. Couldn't go see the midnight showing on tuesday cause I was to tired lifting tree limbs. I got in line to see it on tuesday durning the day and my father call with an food emergency. (My dad's a diabetic, and I guess my mom was in a hurry and under cooked some hard boild eggs. also he hurt his back and he can't get up to feed himself.) So I had to rush home to feed him. And havn't had the time to see it. I hope I can see it Sunday.

Is your dad okay?

Excellent movie!!! I was incredibly surprised by this "unnecessary relaunch" (or at least, too soon) but it totally blew me away!!! As a spider-fan since age 3 (1973) with the cartoons and Conway/Andru comics, i was so happy to see a more faithful to the comics (Lee/Ditko) with a nice mix of Ultimate...

...Visually strong, emotionally deep, funny as hell but only when necessary...I felt this timevwhat it would REALLY be like to BE spiderman, costume very nice, CGI and stunts cool (i agree on the crane scene being a little corny),..

...Loved the scene with the car robber (hilarious!), the chemistry between Peter and Gwen (taken to real life), loved the Captain Stacy/Parker interactions...and finally i get to know the REAL Ben Parker (the last one was more of a grandpa, not?)

...wasn't too crazy about...Curt Connors, the final scene after credits (well, you cant get Thanos every time), Sally Field (not too relevant)....

...really liked...the transition with Flash (they are becoming friends), the skateboard, seeing the lab coat on the Lizard, Spidey using a backpack and a cell phone (Ultimate Peter all the way), and overall, the whole mystery regarding his parents...Great!!!

I will give it 4,5 stars out of 5 (90%), up there with Superman 2, Avengers, Iron Man 1, Spidey 1, Dark Knight....

I would love to see the Norman Osborn subplot to unravel over the next two movies, slowly introducing Mary Jane and Harry once in college (where the heck is JJJ?!?!)

As for villains, I recognize I would love to see an EVIL doc ock (anyone notice the octopus contraption near the spiders scene?), or the Vulture (john Malcovich?)...Mysterio...(not Sandman or Venom...still tired of SPM3)....could you imagine a Spider-Man 3 with the "Sinister Six"?!?' Green Goblin, Sandman, Doc Ock, Lizard, Mysterio and Vulture?!?! A guy can dream, can't he!?!?!!?

Latest posts

Back