The Beatles discussion thread

Re: Teh Beatles OMG FINALLY LOL!!!!!!1111111

OMG YES. They are releasing the CD version of LOVE, the cirque de soliel show from Las Vegas. It's basically remixed Beatles songs. You can hear some of them at www.thebeatles.com . They sound great. I am so looking forward to this; the new "cut" of Strawberry Fields (my favorite song) sounds awesome- they took different takes and combined them, so it progresses from acoustic to electric to full band to orchestrated. November 21 cannot come soon enough.

I like "Nobody Loves You (When You're Down And Out)" by Lennon... it may not seem like a good song to cheer you up, but the fact that it's basically "get over it," and the fact that you can interpret it as an empathic statement makes it a good song for me.

I'm pretty geeked for LOVE...sounds like a cool idea.

I wanted to avoid the clips and be surprised when the album comes out but I might not be able to wait.

they have 4 full songs on the site: strawberry fields forever, octopus's garden, lady madonna, and while my guitar gently weeps.

GO. LISTEN.

I held off until I bought it (it came out today).

I LOVE it.

"Get Back" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" are brilliant.

The way they segued "Blackbird" into "Yesterday" was also very good.

It ended on kind of a weak note but still excellent.

so i recently acquired Dr. Ebbetts' vinyl needledrop rips of:

A Hard Day's Night (mono)
Help! (mono)
Rubber Soul (mono)
Rubber Soul (stereo)
Revolver (mono)
Revolver (stereo)
Sgt. Pepper's... (mono)
Sgt. Pepper's... (stereo)
Magical Mystery Tour (mono)
Magical Mystery Tour (stereo)
The Beatles (mono)
The Beatles (stereo)
Abbey Road (only made in stereo)
Let It Be (only made in stereo)
and the UK singles collection (all mono)

they are amazing. The differences in some of the songs b/w mono and stereo are astounding, and quality-wise, I feel like throwing out the CD versions, these are so damn good.

Some of the songs, in mono, are ENTIRELY different- like The Inner Light (Lady Madonna's B-side)- it has a completely different intro, and the vocals are reverbed; and Blue Jay Way's mono version doesn't have the backwards vocals in the back of the mix...

but the BEST ones are Tomorrow Never Knows (mono)- the sound effects of which just jump in and out instead of fading, creating a druggier atmosphere (if it's possible)- and Strawberry Fields Forever, which is marvelous in mono.

If anyone's interested, I can help you out.

If anyone's interested, I can help you out.

Definitely. I have a copy of the singles box set which has the mono versions of songs, as well as a vinyl rip of the White Album, but I'd definitely like to have the rest of their albums.

Both sides are still kinda tight lipped, but all obstacles are gone, and Sir Paul has said sometime in the Summer of 08, we'll see Beatles on iTunes.

I love the Beatles. "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "Strawberry Fields" are two of the songs that shall be played at my wedding AND my funeral.

alright, whoever is interested, PM me with your desired e-mail address.

There are a lot of artists who either own their own recordings or have significant say in their distribution (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc.) who aren't on iTunes or any other download service. Not sure why.
And on that note, I firmly believe that Metallica should only be entitled to 1 cent for every track they sell on iTunes.

There are a lot of artists who either own their own recordings or have significant say in their distribution (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc.) who aren't on iTunes or any other download service.

Well, Zepp, and close to everyone else in on iTunes now. The only hold out now a days is Gail Zappa with Frank's stuff, but it has more to do with the constant crap Rykodisc is doing with the Zappa library.

Did some looking, Hendrix's father is still being an *** with Jimi's catalog.

ourchair said:
And on that note, I firmly believe that Metallica should only be entitled to 1 cent for every track they sell on iTunes.

At this point, I think those bastards should be paying people 99¢ a download.

Last edited:

I'm sure marvelman will be excited to hear that now that I'm done with my Blur binge, I've been listening to The Beatles.

It's funny. The Beatles are so ingrained in American culture and so familiar even if you haven't really listened to them that it's really hard to even think of them as a band that actually made music. Actually sitting down and listening to them and looking at the music objectively, I have to say: Dear god, do I get it.

I've started with Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and The White Album and I'm continually blown away with how much I'm loving it, even the songs I've already heard a million times before in various places and thought I'd been kind of 'numbed' to.

Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Fixing A Hole, A Day In The Life, Dear Prudence, Revolution, Hey Jude, Here Comes The Sun, Something, A Hard Day's Night, Twist & Shout, Yesterday, Help!, I Want To Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, From Me To You, Let It Be, Don't Let Me Down, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown), Michelle, For No One, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Mother Nature's Son, Julia, Across The Universe, Come Together, You Never Give Me Your Money, Carry That Weight/Golden Slumbers/The End.

game set and match. all other bands lose.

these are just off the top of my head, without thinking. Seriously.

And you SERIOUSLY have not listened to the Beatles until you've heard them in vinyl form.

also, entropy- get that playlist finished boyo, and PM me when it's done so we can get this show on the road.

Last edited:

And I never even realized how far ahead of their time they really were.

The first time I heard Tomorrow Never Knows, I remember stopping halway through and thinking "This almost sounds...electronic", only to learn that the song is considered to be one of the early forerunners to electronic music...In 1966. It's insane.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back