The Dark Knight Rises discussion (spoilers!)

How would you rate The Dark Knight Rises?

• Total voters
Ice said:
I don't remember seeing anyone set the bomb to detonate. It was just the lifespan it had before going kaboom.

I think the question is: if Talia's intent all along was to detonate the bomb, why have the 3 or 5 months waiting, telling citizens they are in control of the city, etc. Why not just do it in the first place?

I think the question is: if Talia's intent all along was to detonate the bomb, why have the 3 or 5 months waiting, telling citizens they are in control of the city, etc. Why not just do it in the first place?

Talia and Bane wanted Bruce to watch his city fall apart, hence the TV in his cell.

E, The issue with setting the bomb off immediately was actually my favorote part of the villain's intention. When I first caught wind of Bane's Robin Hoodesque plot of giving Gotham back to the citizens during production I really couldn't see how I could cheer against him. Sure the delay was also a cheap excuse to give Batman time to save the day but when Bane talked about giving hope to Gotham and then wiping them out to Bruce in the cell really gave you an idea of how sinister and cruel the game they were playing was.

TheManWithoutFear said:
E, The issue with setting the bomb off immediately was actually my favorote part of the villain's intention. When I first caught wind of Bane's Robin Hoodesque plot of giving Gotham back to the citizens during production I really couldn't see how I could cheer against him. Sure the delay was also a cheap excuse to give Batman time to save the day but when Bane talked about giving hope to Gotham and then wiping them out to Bruce in the cell really gave you an idea of how sinister and cruel the game they were playing was.

Got it. You're right.

I've been reading Knightfall and one of the tie in issues is Catwoman #1, where Catwoman plans a jewel heist by going in with the caterers to a party. One of her friends makes a comment about how he's surprised she doesn't go to the party herself because she would fit in. Kind of cool...

Yeah. You're opinion's wrong. In fact there obviously is a big connecting between Begins and Rises. If anything The Dark Knight was the one that was "out of place".

No my opinion is just that an opinion. Like i said It's cool if people like it. Just like it's cool that I don't. To me Dark Knight rises felt NOTHING like begins. If i had to say it felt like anything it was batman 1989. Which is not to say batman 1989 is bad. But if inserted into the Dark Knight trilogy it doesn't belong. I get you feel it did. That's okay. But cheesy over the top bad guy , plot holes , cartoonish plot, face palming moments. It was enjoyable hence 3 stars it just didn't feel right to me.

I had the weirdest feeling watching this that Blake's full name was going to be revealed as THOMAS John Blake. How cool would it have been if Catman had taken over for Batman?

SSJmole said:
No my opinion is just that an opinion. Like i said It's cool if people like it. Just like it's cool that I don't. To me Dark Knight rises felt NOTHING like begins. If i had to say it felt like anything it was batman 1989. Which is not to say batman 1989 is bad. But if inserted into the Dark Knight trilogy it doesn't belong. I get you feel it did. That's okay. But cheesy over the top bad guy , plot holes , cartoonish plot, face palming moments. It was enjoyable hence 3 stars it just didn't feel right to me.

But... aren't you the guy who loves Venom?

;)

You're not wrong, mole. I thought this movie was aggressively bad. How Nolan could go from TDK to this amazes me.

Last edited:
But... aren't you the guy who loves Venom?

;)

Yes I am (well one of him) I also like wrestling , power rangers and more stuff that has "cheesy over the top bad guy , plot holes , cartoonish plot, face palming moments"

But I don't want my power rangers to become The dark knight just like i don't want my dark knight to become power rangers :p

Cheesy is good if cheese is it's heart. Dark is good if dark is it's core. But don't make one the other. Simple as

SSJmole said:
Yes I am (well one of him) I also like wrestling , power rangers and more stuff that has "cheesy over the top bad guy , plot holes , cartoonish plot, face palming moments"

But I don't want my power rangers to become The dark knight just like i don't want my dark knight to become power rangers :p

Cheesy is good if cheese is it's heart. Dark is good if dark is it's core. But don't make one the other. Simple as

Fair enough, I was only messing with you. You do make a good point, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing Batman films that don't take themselves so damn seriously. Nolan loves throwing "high themes" at the wall, but doesn't really have much success at making them stick.

Yeah, if only he was successful.

Fair enough, I was only messing with you. You do make a good point, though.

I'm aware you were :) I just wanted to make a point :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing Batman films that don't take themselves so damn seriously.

I wouldn't mind the next to be a hybrid from the get go. Realistic yes but not afraid to go scifi or mystical. I want villains like Ivy (my favourite dc character) Mr freeze , killer croc ect.... It'd be great.

Yeah, if only he was successful.

Successful at making a blockbuster movie? Sure.

Successful at shooting truly breathtaking action sequences? Almost always.

Successful at making a great movie? More often than not.

Successful at following through on the suggested themes of class warfare, the responsibility of self vs. society, and the nature of heroism? Nah. Not really.

I wouldn't mind the next to be a hybrid from the get go. Realistic yes but not afraid to go scifi or mystical. I want villains like Ivy (my favourite dc character) Mr freeze , killer croc ect.... It'd be great.

I'm not sure I'd go sci-fi or mystical but I'd like to see something with more of a horror or mystery bent. Every story doesn't need to be about lunatics threatening to blow up the city.

I'm not sure I'd go sci-fi or mystical but I'd like to see something with more of a horror or mystery bent. Every story doesn't need to be about lunatics threatening to blow up the city.

I didn't mean full on mystical or full on scifi just enough that we feel ANY batman story can be told.

I 100% agree with the end. Why not just do a story like the Hush ark. Personal to Batman , A mystery but you never think the city is in danger you think Batman is danger.

Though if Michael Bay takes over EVERY villain will use explosions. Batman will most likely be an alien who takes a back seat to a slutty batgirl there for eye candy ....... dear god the horror!

I didn't mean full on mystical or full on scifi just enough that we feel ANY batman story can be told.

I 100% agree with the end. Why not just do a story like the Hush ark. Personal to Batman , A mystery but you never think the city is in danger you think Batman is danger.

Though if Michael Bay takes over EVERY villain will use explosions. Batman will most likely be an alien who takes a back seat to a slutty batgirl there for eye candy ....... dear god the horror!

Except not Hush, because Hush sucked.

I just watched this movie again last night with my brothers and brother-in-law. It's still my favourite of the trilogy.

But I caught another "that doesn't really make sense" moment that bothered me more than any of the other ones: how did Bane and his men get motorcycles INSIDE the Gotham City stock exchange? They didn't have them when they came in, but they rode out of the building on them. Where did they come from?

So, know what would have made this story way more interesting, a more relevant follow-up to Dark Knight, and less cartoonish?

Bane walks out on the field and he's all "Sup brobros? This is a bomb, and that sound in the distance is every bridge in the city blowing up. Try to run and the city gets vaporized. Try to defuse the bomb and the city gets vaporized. The city belongs to you now. In a few days time the state of affairs will revert to the stone age. But wait, there's more! The bomb's got a shelf life, see. In three weeks (or was it months? I can't remember) it's going to decay and go off on its own. So there's your timeline. Three weeks (or months, I can't remember) to build a civil society out of the wreckage. The bankers and aristocrats don't have any power any more. The cops that turned this city into a fascist police state by making a martyr out of an attempted kiddy killer are all locked down in the sewers. It's your obligation to make a civilization that's worth living in. Fail, and we'll just call it a noble experiment and wipe the city off the face of the map. Succeed and we reholster this little bomb fella and you guys get free clean energy out of it all. Get to work, buckos!"

I just wish Nolan had made a sequel to Dark Knight instead of making a sequel to Batman Begins.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back