The Dark Knight Rises discussion (spoilers!)

How would you rate The Dark Knight Rises?

• Total voters
Even better links. Thanks for the find Project.

I don't know if this sounds far fetched or baseless but there were two parts in the movie that had me think of The Joker and how he might have been in someway comnected with the league. First was when they talked about Bane having no background or fingerprints.
Either Nolan uses the same trick twice explaining two random villains or they're both associated with an organization that covers up their members existences. The second, which actually gave me chills and I could almost hear Ledger's laugh while she said it, was when Talia started talking about the slow knife. I almost thought that was dome on purpose to remind you The Joker.

Wow.

I haven't seen the movie. From the sounds of it, it sounds good, but man, these people who write these articles on the net are hilarious.

The first one, MWoF had linked too, that was so full of idiocy it was great.

I agree that the romantic relationships weren't developed very well, and that Miranda's reveal sort of made Bane a little less cool, but overall those are rather minor complaints (in my opinion) compared to how great the movie was.

So after seeing this I must wholeheartedly say this may be the best ending to a movie series I've ever seen. I'm not going to get into which one of the Dark Knight Saga was the best cause I'm still less than 24 hours out of this one.

I will say that I thank Nolan (who notoriously chooses story elements over comic shout outs) may have made the most comic book enriched movie yet.

If you had said before Begins came out that the finale to this series would involve a story based on the Dark Knight Returns & Knightfall while featuring Bane, Catwoman, Scarecrow & both Al Ghuls as villains (cameo or otherwise) it would have sounded like the biggest mess to ever be on screen. Instead it's the most quintessential DC Comics movie ever like Avengers was the most quintessential MARVEL movie yet.

Bane is great as a mustache twirling Bond villain because he gives Batman a much more thematic enemy to face. I kept questioning the entire movie why Bane would have such a vendetta against Batman until the Talia revelation. The fact that they almost made you think Bane was Ra's son totally made the Talia revelation genuine despite it being obvious to fanboys. My only quibbles with Bane and Talia were that Bane's death was slightly anticlimactic and Marion absolutely would have stolen the show if given more time.

I'll have more on this later, and I personally loved the ending, but who else would have loved to see Brice being reveled to have lived by showing him in the Batcave with Selina, Blake, Alfred, some of the rogue cops and the orphans saying "This'll be a good life. Good enough."

DARKKNIGHT said:
Did anyone else think that the "Clean Slate" macguffin which Catwoman was after was a bit too ridiculous?

Not really. If you assume it's a computer program which operates like a virus, searching out, infiltrating secured networks, and deleting or altering said data, I'd say the Clean Slate idea wasn't ridiculous at all. It'd take a ridiculous amount of technological know how to create, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility (especially considering hackers in their teens and twenties even in the modern day can successfully hack secured government and banking sites).

It also served as a decent examination of how in today's world of computers and their records about just about everyone's past, past mistakes can forever haunt you. It wasn't masterfully handled, but done well enough to get the point across and, in my opinion, was much less of a strain on the notions of believability than a story of a man dressing in a rubber suit and fighting crime and capping that off by somehow escaping a nuclear bomb with a six mile blast radius with only seconds to spare.

In other words, while the film had it's shortcomings, that one doesn't really rank.

Something like the clean slate was used in the show Burn Notice (running like a virus, as D!B explains it) to delete someone's information and all completely from the CIA's network. And in this day and age, it's not really farfetched of an idea, honestly.

Last edited:
I voted 3 stars. Did not really enjoy this I found so average. Every twist was predictable, Bane was either a) impossible to understand or B) when you could sounded like a bad Sean Connery. The part at the end
with his real name been robin
made me face palm. Everything in this movie was very cartoonish, Which would work if 1+2 had been cartoonish. Overall this is the worst comic movie I've seen this year. I feel very disappointed by it. 1+2 = great character studies that are well thought out. This one ...... seemed so rushed.

SSJmole said:
I voted 3 stars. Did not really enjoy this I found so average. Every twist was predictable, Bane was either a) impossible to understand or B) when you could sounded like a bad Sean Connery. The part at the end * SPOILER * made me face palm. Everything in this movie was very cartoonish, Which would work if 1+2 had been cartoonish. Overall this is the worst comic movie I've seen this year. I feel very disappointed by it. 1+2 = great character studies that are well thought out. This one ...... seemed so rushed.

Worst you've seen this year? Did you miss the Ghost Rider sequel? That was the cinema version of a severe brain hemorrage.

Worst you've seen this year? Did you miss the Ghost Rider sequel? That was the cinema version of a severe brain hemorrage.

Yes :p the ones I saw this year = Avengers assemble , Amazing spider-man and dark knight rises

Last edited:
And you thought Spider-Man was better than this?

Yes. Because this one been a sequel means it should feel like the same universe. I didn't sadly it seemed the opposite of the previous two. Meaning spider-man been a reboot starts a series and doesn't change what the series was. But you said you enjoyed this which is cool we are all different

Yes. Because this one been a sequel means it should feel like the same universe. I didn't sadly it seemed the opposite of the previous two. Meaning spider-man been a reboot starts a series and doesn't change what the series was. But you said you enjoyed this which is cool we are all different
Yeah. You're opinion's wrong. In fact there obviously is a big connecting between Begins and Rises. If anything The Dark Knight was the one that was "out of place". Which is one of the things that bothered me about this trilogy. Besides having a definitive ending to Bruce Wayne/Batman the legend of it was simply R'as, Joker, Bane and that's it. This is completely acceptable as far as a realistic heroic timeline but I'm completely torn with wanting more out of Nolan's Batman-verse mythology with the Rogues and such that aren't included.

FINALLY got to see it today (we went last week and apparently getting there 1/2 hr before it begins wasn't enough to get a good seat, so we left). I am so glad I got to see it. It sounds kind of cheesy but I feel so lucky that we got these movies. What an amazing movie and experience. Most definitely 5 stars, and the problems I had with it were minor enough to not detract from the movie. I'm a total sucker for referencing previous points in movie series like this, so I loved the flashbacks (particularly when Gordon realizes who Batman is). I had such chills when Bruce climbed out of the prison that I thought my spine was going to jump out of my back.

To begin with, there are too many minor characters that are either not needed or are not explained enough.

I didn't think so at all. There certainly seemed like there were fewer than in either of the two previous movies.

but why set the bomb to detonate 5 months into the future? What's the point of all the stuff about giving the citizenry of Gotham their freedom?

Completely, totally agreed. It was well done and interesting but that part of it didn't seem to make much sense.

Also, Bane's voice is an issue. There's nothing wrong with the accent that Hardy and Nolan chose to use for the character. The issue is that he IS fairly hard to understand at times, which is quite distracting.

Absolutely. It wasn't just Bane, either. Even Gordon and Batman had moments where I just could not understand them. I was trying to determine if it's that Nolan mixes the music too high or something but I can't put my finger on it. Bass and Proj were talking on Twitter about how this is a common problem with Nolan films...I don't remember if I had this problem with The Dark Knight and it's the only other Nolan film I've seen in a theatre, but I definitely noticed it here.

Alfred disappears for 4/5 of the movie after an awkward argument with Bruce, Bruce seemingly falls in love with Talia (oops I mean Miranda Tate) after hooking up with her once.

Both good points. I do wish that the relationship with Tate was defined a little better; maybe something close to Jezebel Jet in the comics?

I didn't quite understand the point of all of corporate espionage stuff toward the beginning of the movie...it seemed pointless and convoluted.

Ooooh - not at all! It was very important to wipe out Bruce Wayne's finances.

I mean I understand the point about him fixing the autopilot, but I also thought it showed him in the cockpit with only seconds left on the timer. What I'm saying is that he still would have been within the blast radius of the nuclear bomb.

Another excellent point.

I love that John Blake was Tim Drake (with a little Jason Todd), but he wasn't really either. He was his own character. I wish his full name had been Grayson or Drake at the end instead of Robin though, that was a bit of a letdown.

He totally should have been Tim Drake. Totally. Naming him Robin was corny, especially because it is obvious he is supposed to be becoming Batman. It would've made more sense and been a great homage to the comics.

I love that this movie was Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns, No Mans Land, and Daughter of the Demon among others, but isn't really any of those stories. It's it's own tale.

YES!

Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was purrrfect. She's the best Catwoman in any adaptation of Batman I've seen. She played the part wonderfully, and was written well as a character. She's also beautiful, which didn't hurt.

Totally agreed again, especially about how she was well-written. I told my wife after we left that I'm so glad they didn't throw in the corny stuff with cats all over the place like in Batman Returns.

I agree that the romantic relationships weren't developed very well, and that Miranda's reveal sort of made Bane a little less cool, but overall those are rather minor complaints (in my opinion) compared to how great the movie was.

Yep.

Yeah. You're opinion's wrong. In fact there obviously is a big connecting between Begins and Rises. If anything The Dark Knight was the one that was "out of place".

Totally agreed, and that is taking nothing away from TDK.

Did anyone post this yet?

[video=youtube_share;1NRsPDhyHrc]http://youtu.be/1NRsPDhyHrc[/video]

Latest posts

Back