The Descent.

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
Saw this today, strangely enough with my grandma. She wanted to see it after hearing it compared to older horror movies. The only reason why I agreed to go (I wanted to see the movie, just not with my grandma) was because my sister decided to come too. My grandma is regularly scared by "LOST" and she "didn't think the movie would be that violent", so I was worried about seeing it with her. Surprisingly, it was my sister who was freaked out by the violence and was covering her eyes throughout the whole thing.

The movie itself: Terrifying. It completely lives up to all the "scariest horror movie in years" hype. The movie starts off nicely, but quickly gets dark (one of the character's husband and daughter are killed horribly in a car accident) and just creepier and creepier from there. For me the worst part was when they first start to get into the cave. The cinematography, the sound effects, the music, it all equals to some of the most claustrophobic scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

The suspense is built for a long time. I'd say that the "creatures" don't show up until around 50 minutes into the movie. When they do, things really get into motion and the rest of the movie is just tense and terrifying. There's one scene where two of the girls are trying to stay perfectly still while a Crawler stands right next to them (They're blind, but they hunt by sound). The accompanying music is the scariest swell I've ever heard in a movie's score. They use a lot of the stock moments where things jump out at you, but they really do pack a punch. The gore is much more intense than I thought it would be, particularly the climactic fight with the Crawlers (The best eye-gouging scene since the end of "28 Days Later").

4.5/5

Scary, bloody fun. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Re: The Descent

I was told how the original British ending was and the American version. The British one is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Ice said:
I was told how the original British ending was and the American version. The British one is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.
I forgot to mention it, but yeah it is. The ending is the only low point of the movie, but it's not so bad since I know what was supposed to happen.

I'm definitely gonna see this film SOMEday.... just not for a long-o time. (Still pretty scared by horror films.)

Moonie, could you please pm me both what the British ending was and what the US ending is? Don't worry, it wont ruin the film for me. :D

ultimatedjf said:
Moonie, could you please pm me both what the British ending was and what the US ending is? Don't worry, it wont ruin the film for me. :D
Same with me, just got intrigue as to how it ends, I'm never gonna see anyway. I dont enjoy being scared.

I just can't get past the premise of the movie. Why do they always make the scary killers the end result of some weird off shoot of humanity? Can't we just have good old psychopaths anymore?

MaxwellSmart said:
I just can't get past the premise of the movie. Why do they always make the scary killers the end result of some weird off shoot of humanity? Can't we just have good old psychopaths anymore?

Hell no. Mutants are this century's evil, besides terrorists. Hmm... mutant terrorists.

My grandma hasn't been to a movie theatre in like 20 years.

ProjectX2 said:
He went with his grandma to a movie.
I'm not sure why you're using the pronoun "He" when you're talking about yourself. Also, are you saying you took your grandmother to see The Descent? If you did, you must be very convincing.

MaxwellSmart said:
I'm not sure why you're using the pronoun "He" when you're talking about yourself. Also, are you saying you took your grandmother to see The Descent? If you did, you must be very convincing.

... Moonmaster took his grandma to the movie. I was saying my grandma hasn't been anywhere near a movie in many years.

Can someone spoil the british ending for me. I love scary movies which is more than i can say for my counterpart (hates them). And that computer with ghost in them movie looks incredibly gay. So I want him to take me to see a scary movie but he says it has to be extremely scary so he'll get his moneys worth. The last scary movie we saw was saw 2 and he enjoyed the plot more than the scary moments themselves. He liked how it all came together so I know that's the only way I can really get him to go and sit down to a scary movie. So my wuestion besides spoiling the british ending for me is, Is it worth seeing because it sounds exciting.

I saw this movie the other night. I know I was pretty bored, the rest of the audience seemed to be as well. Didn't hear a peep.

My thumbs are down.

I was underwhelmed.

The claustrophobic mood was good and the acting was fine but several things chipped seriously at my enjoyment.

The blood was overstepping the line from Gore to Anime. The way it sprayed everywhere detracted from the horror and made the situation more amusing than gruesome. It started well with Holly's leg broken open. But everything after that was just silly blood spray.

The mutants were wuss! Most were skinny, borderline midget, and they were blind. The only thing they had going for them was number. They weren't very scary.

I prefer quality over quantity even when the concept calls for more than a single super dangerous antagonist. The Hills have eyes is basically the same movie as The Descent and its mutants were far more fun. They had personality and getting rid of anyone of them was a bigger event than popping the skull open of one of the albino apelike midget of The Descent.

When watching the girls fight them I couldn't help but think I'd exploit their blindness on first engagement by slamming my pick away from my body against a wall and then slide in the opposite direction. The midget moves toward the big resonating sound into perfect reach for my pick. Bam. Dead midget. I'm disapointed none of the protagonist did anything of the sort to exploit their opponent's weakness. Their use of their blindness never went beyond occasionnaly remaining still to hide.

Finally, the ending was counter climatic for me. The only interesting character gets killed by the least interesting who had turned from a sheep to killer in a bad imitation of Jim in 28 days later. Some of the poses Sarah did when covered in blood were so plastic you'd think she knew there was a photograph in the room taking a few shot for a gruesome edition of Vanity Fair. Ugh. And what she did to Juno at the end destroyed any sympathy I had for her and satisfaction I could have taken at her survival.

Juno was the best developped character ; She made grievous mistake of judgement by deciding to explore that new cave and not fully apraising the others of the risk. She kept them alive and lead them effectively after the Cave in. She killed Beth by accident and couldn't own up to it. She was the first to fight back against the creature. She abandoned Beth, wrecked with guilt. She didn't want to abandon Sarah, thinking she could redeem herself. She let down Sarah after the accident that killed her family. She dragged her friends into that cave hoping to bond again with Sarah again. Contrary to Sarah, I don't doubt this.

She was brave and she was a coward at the same time. She was a leader who could think fast but not far. She was a woman who fought her selfish instinct ; She kept letting her friends down and then trying to make it up to them.

She was the only character of interest and she got killed by the least interesting. And in so doing, Sarah become the only villainous character amongst the protagonists because what she did was beyond the pale in comparison to the faults of Juno. Very disapointing and robbed me of any possible satisfaction at the end.

Last edited:
Original UK ending

Apprently, it's exactly the same until the very end.

US :

In the last scene, Sarah falls through a hole, is stunned, wakes up, sees the light, runs outside gets into the truck, drive away and then pull over to cry. The big ten wheeler drive right next to her, startling her then she sees a ghostly Juno sitting next to her in the passenger seat. She screams.

The End.

UK :

Right after she sees the ghostly juno, she wakes up. She is still in the hole she fell through after abandoning Juno. She has a vision of her dead daughter with her birthday cake. Then we hear the mutant closing in as the camera pulls away and the torch fades.

The End.

So in the british ending, no one gets away.

I prefer it that way. Sarah lost my sympathy earlier and if Juno doesn't make it, they might as well all die.

It also explains the ghost appartition of Juno in the car nicely.

The American version left it open for a sequel, as is the American way.

Juno killed the Crawler Mother (correct?) - and Juno isn't shown being killed by the Crawlers . . . so . . . we have despondant Sarah being hunted down by the new Crawler Queen (an insane Juno) and her brood for revenge. Call it "The Ascent" is you will. The Descent II - NEVER! I hate unimaginative movie producers. At least the sequel to "Batman Begins" is being called "The Dark Knight."

Don't blame the screen writer for Sarah's lack of character. Blame the actress for not palying her correctly. Juno was her nemesis from the beginning. Juno was a cheating, deceptive ***** who deserved what she got.

The exterior shots looked like I was watching "Dog Soldiers" again. Mebbe cos it was filmed in Scotland.

I liked the film. It wasn't the scariest movie I've seen in years but it was up there. Hit your head in on a rock in the dark scary. Gave it a B- on my blog.

leather_w0lf said:
Don't blame the screen writer for Sarah's lack of character. Blame the actress for not palying her correctly. Juno was her nemesis from the beginning. Juno was a cheating, deceptive ***** who deserved what she got.

No! I'll always defend Juno as the most worthwhile, three-dimensional character of this cast!

She was the only one with genuine flaws and who tried as best as she could to fight against her nature, only to come short time and time again.

The other where just standard stereotypes, Juno was human.

Last edited:
ill start my review with........ Juno was so hot!

i finally got round to watching this on dvd as i missed the theatrical release over here. was a cool fim, not as cool as dog soldiers cos `soldiers rocked too hard!
all the caharacters sucked except for that one that broke her leg and also Juno
i think the film should have been called "Juno" and had more Juno in it, anyone agree?
281x211.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back