The End of the Ultimate Universe?

Dancanread

From Ign: a discussion about the relevance of the ultimate universe with the resurgence of popularity and quality of the 616 titles. They argue that since the ultimate universe is now itself steeped in continuity and mediocre quality that it's initial concept of drawing new readers into the (a?) marvel universe is now moot. And they suggest dropping all ultimate titles except for USM as it is still (in their opinion) the flagship and best title of them all.

The End of the Ultimate Universe

From Ign: a discussion about the relevance of the ultimate universe with the resurgence of popularity and quality of the 616 titles. They argue that since the ultimate universe is now itself steeped in continuity and mediocre quality that it's initial concept of drawing new readers into the (a?) marvel universe is now moot. And they suggest dropping all ultimate titles except for USM as it is still (in their opinion) the flagship and best title of them all.

The End of the Ultimate Universe

Well, I agree with the first half of that statement.

I can't agree that Ultimate Spider-Man is the best title. Quite the opposite actually.

I can't agree that Ultimate Spider-Man is the best title. Quite the opposite actually.

Yeah. They'd probably give it to the Ultimates if it came out more than twice a year.

I'll admit it will be a shame if they did end it all except USM but It would not effect me that much as I only read USM mostly and think that is the best marvel series ever.

Their assessment was ultimately pretty stupid, but they did bring up some good points. Rotating Ultimate books with limited lifespans really would make a lot more sense for what the UU is trying to do.

Then again, I don't get why they think having a non-continuity setting for their ace writers to play around is a bad thing. It works for All-Star over at DC (sometimes).

Then again, I don't get why they think having a non-continuity setting for their ace writers to play around is a bad thing. It works for All-Star over at DC (sometimes).

Marvel do it too in their events when someone has altered time. e.g house M from what i read of reviews seemed anyone could read it with out worrying about continuity as everything was changed

so marvel do have something for that it's called 616 :lol:

there points about why UU should end were spot on, but there opinions on the books, and there ideas for the future were sheer crap

Bingo.

After reading thru the article twice---they asked and stated the same stuff that has been repeated here at least 5 times already. But credit where credit is due...they bring up some very valid points.

And stating that USM is the best Ultimate title out there just ruins any real credibility they have. Maybe if they had said that 3 years ago when USM was spitting out gold like the "Venom" arc or "Cats and Kings" stories---then yes....that statement would hold weight.

But the fact remains that the USM title has actually been the weakest for damn near 3 years now.

I only read USM mostly and think that is the best marvel series ever.

I'm not trying to tease you or anything like that, but you have DESPERATELY got to pick up some other Marvel books and fast. To put USM over Punisher MAX, Captain America, Daredevil, Alias, Avengers or hell---even Runaways is just so wrong that it makes Michael Jackson touching little boys seem like the cool thing to do.

I mean OMG---maybe if you had said that USM was the best book from the UU....then ok. Your entitled to your opinion and all. But then I'd still toss my copy of Ultimates at you and tell you that you're not moving from the very spot you stand until you've read the entire Millar/Hitch run and then atoned for the blasphemous statement afore mentioned.

Exactly. It's not. As a matter of fact---I'd be 100% ok if Marvel released a statement saying that the UU was throwing continuity and linear storytelling out the window and that from now on the books would have a stand-alone/mini format. No more continuity. The writers could have 4-5 issue arcs if they'd like. Or they could do single issues.

I think a perfect example of this is Millar's run on UFF. 3-issue arcs that told a fantastic story. And some of them presented the iconoclasm of the F4. I mean Reed building a helmet that can turn his thoughts into solid real things? To me that's the kinda absurd geniusness that Morrison gives us when he makes a key to the Fortress of Solitude made outta sun/star. It's ****ing genius!

For the most part---a solid percentage of the "ultimizations" that have been presented have been pretty good. Shocker, Mojo, Longshot, Thor, etc.

Has the UU outlived it's purpose? Yes and no. Should it die? No. Does it need desperate help? Yes. Like the article posed: How useful is a line designed to retell classic characters and free up boggling continuity.....if you've gotta read thru damn near 100(or +) issues to catch up and fingure what's going on?

I'm not trying to tease you or anything like that, but you have DESPERATELY got to pick up some other Marvel books and fast. To put USM over Punisher MAX, Captain America, Daredevil, Alias, Avengers or hell---even Runaways is just so wrong that it makes Michael Jackson touching little boys seem like the cool thing to do.

Even Runaways? :evil:

But seriously, VVD is right. You should at least try other books or you're going to be missing out.

Has the UU outlived it's purpose? Yes and no. Should it die? No. Does it need desperate help? Yes. Like the article posed: How useful is a line designed to retell classic characters and free up boggling continuity.....if you've gotta read thru damn near 100(or +) issues to catch up and fingure what's going on?

I agree, just because its original intention was to give new comers a jumping point (which it kinda did for me) does not mean that's all its good for. Like the Ninja Turtles for example, originally they were just suppose to be a parody or X-men and Ronin. And it took on a life of its own. All I think the UU needs is someone in charge of the whole line who isnt a retard. Some who will say "Hey bendis that idea is retarded" or "Listen, Ultimate Power will **** up the continuity" or Even "Bendis your arc for UP sucks, go away" That's all

I mean OMG---maybe if you had said that USM was the best book from the UU....then ok. Your entitled to your opinion and all. But then I'd still toss my copy of Ultimates at you and tell you that you're not moving from the very spot you stand until you've read the entire Millar/Hitch run and then atoned for the blasphemous statement afore mentioned.

Even Runaways? :evil:

But seriously, VVD is right. You should at least try other books or you're going to be missing out.

I have tried other series I got ultimates v1 , ultimate x-men 1+2.

as for Punisher MAX, Captain America, Daredevil, not insulting those books but I'm not a fan of Punisher , Daredevil or Captain America (in ultimates and civil war he was pretty cool thou).

Punisher and Daredevil I regard the same I do with blade. I have read a few of their stand alone books and do not like them. the movies of them I like. When they pop up in other peoples books I like it but their own comic bores me.

I like spider-man books and honestly as far as superheroes go I find him most interesting. use to collect comics of him at one point had over £2000 worth (even payed £50 to get the foil cover black suit comic on qvc. it came with other comics they through in but that's why I bought it)

Then I got robbed and alot of my comics stolen. I thought ok it's not that bad I still have a load I kept under m bed in a box. then their was a flood and my last ones were lost forever.

then I discovered Ultimate spider-man I could collect the series from start again and was so happy. I found the writing in the series making his personal life stretch out more ect... to be great even better than 616 in almost everything. (yes I have my own beef with 616 e.g venom not been an alien suit or using webbing)

this may sound bad but most comics i read through I think. That was pretty good. or very cool. When read ultimate spider-man it's hard to explain I laugh out loud at a lot of things e.g when jean read his mind and said to stop seeing her naked .... stop it ... stop :lol:. The action scenes e.g green goblin fight. Actually gets me exited more than most films.

Now I know you guys were not putting me down. and I know alot of people here don't like USM that much anymore but I enjoy every arc even silver sable and hobgoblin (well except ultimate 6 i hate it) and to me it is very very well done and in away no other comic can compare with

I do read other comics here is a list of a few i enjoy

• spider-girl
  • judge dredd 2000ad
  • buffy/angel universe comics
  • star wars comics
  • Viz (not sure if you have our viz in usa with stuff like the fat slags :lol: )
  • vs comics e.g batman vs aliens
  • the dragonball mangas (still)

that's just a few but none of them touch USM in terms of quality and story telling to me.

They should get Grant Morrison and JH Williams III to end the Ultimate Universe.

I'm not trying to tease you or anything like that, but you have DESPERATELY got to pick up some other Marvel books and fast. To put USM over Punisher MAX, Captain America, Daredevil, Alias, Avengers or hell---even Runaways is just so wrong

Dude, Runaways dwarfs all those books.

Vic said:
that it makes Michael Jackson touching little boys seem like the cool thing to do.

:D :D :D

SSJMole said:
this may sound bad but most comics i read through I think. That was pretty good. or very cool. When read ultimate spider-man it's hard to explain I laugh out loud at a lot of things e.g when jean read his mind and said to stop seeing her naked .... stop it ... stop . The action scenes e.g green goblin fight. Actually gets me exited more than most films.

You're the reason Bendis still exists, goddammit!

ProjectX2 said:
They should get Grant Morrison and JH Williams III to end the Ultimate Universe.

They should get Grant Morrison and JH Williams III to end all of their books, and spin a new, great Marvel Universe that will stand the test of the ages!

I been sarcastic. I know most people on here hate him or what ever. I don't but I know most seem too

I don't hate Bendis. Honestly, he's written more great stories than most ever will. However, I think he needs to write LESS because he's running out of ideas. He also needs to be pulled out of the UU and put back into the world of indie comics, where he belongs.

Latest posts

Back