The great manga debate!

Badly. But it's cool.

Not even that much usually. FullMetal Alchemist is a good example of big changes, but it was great so there's no problem. A lot of others stay very close to the manga.

FMA is the greatest thing ever! But yeah their main problems is they stick to close to the manga and they catch up and are force to have filler, look at Ruroni Kenshin, the cartoon caught up to the manga and they added a bunch of fillers to give the manga a chance to catch up and they were cancelled cause those fillers suck.

I think FMA took the right direction, use all that you have and continue in your own direction. One of the thing I love about anime (I assume its true about manga) is that there's usually an ending that their heading towards. There is an ultimate end, not like in america where a series is milked until its cancelled due to poor quality. I like it better when the writers choose to end it cause they can write a better overall story with a great closure to it. I would like more cartoons to take that idea.

Better watch 'em quick. Youtube has taken some down, because it borders on plagerism (Bah! I say!).
People put them up quicker than they can take them down. At any time there are at least three different versions of every episode of shows like Bleach and Naruto on youtube.

Meh it was ok, until they went to space, then the **** hit the fan.
So you liked the first 1/10th of the show. That crap dragged on forever.

Thank God for multi-quotes.
They are awesome

Last edited:
I think FMA took the right direction, use all that you have and continue in your own direction. One of the thing I love about anime (I assume its true about manga) is that there's usually an ending that their heading towards. There is an ultimate end, not like in america where a series is milked until its cancelled due to poor quality. I like it better when the writers choose to end it cause they can write a better overall story with a great closure to it. I would like more cartoons to take that idea.

* coughs *

* points at Vertigo *

* Coughs *

* coughs *

* points at Vertigo *

* Coughs *

That's the main reason why I like Vertigo. The stories actually end, and don't drag on into nothingness.

That's the main reason why I like Vertigo. The stories actually end, and don't drag on into nothingness.

Except for Hellblazer and Swamp Thing! They never should have brought SW back after Millars end. It was the perfect close.

I frickin' said...

Yeah, but I was already writing the post before you posted that, and I didn't see it until after I posted. D'oh!

People put them up quicker than they can take them down. At any time there are at least three different versions of every episode of shows like Bleach and Naruto on youtube.

I got a better place than youtube for those two. But yeah youtube is how I've seen several anime, and JLU.

McCheese said:
So you liked the first 1/10th of the show. That crap dragged on forever.

"Now I will show you my true power!"

"................Again!? ****!"

Last edited:
Yeah, but I was already writing the post before you posted that, and I didn't see it until after I posted. D'oh!
Oh alright.

"You're the strongest fighter in the universe!"
*new baddie shows up*
"Now you're not!"
*Goku trains*
"Now you are again!"
REPEAT FOR 600 EPISODES.

Here in Brazil, people read much more manga then comic books. We have like 5 conventions per year of anime/manga and just one for comic book (a really ****ty one).
We have like 6 different comic books (They put together all Ultimate books in one, and then the others like DC and Marvel, besides those two companies, we get just Spawn.) And bajillions of mangas. It sucks I feel like beating people up.
But there is one manga really cool, the only one I buy, it's the story of Miyamoto Musashi, it's called "Vagabond" here. The others just suck.

Is it taking over american comics? Is it too easy to get? Is it just plain creepy most of the time?
This has, I think, been a trend for many years now. I read ElfQuest back in the 1980s, and there were some notable similarities between Wendy Pini's style of art, and manga/anime art. And this was almost 30 years ago.

I don't read much manga myself, but I don't think it's "taking over". It is certainly having an influence, and it's quite popular for various reasons, but American and, to a lesser extent, European comics are still readily available. One reason it might seem to be overwhelming is the large number of volumes in any given series. My library carries one DragonballZ and one Yu-Gi-Oh! title, and both series have close to 30 volumes at this point. They take up a lot of space, but each volume seems to be a fairly short read.

One of the nice features of manga is the vast array of genres. There are series written strictly for boys, others just for girls, some for both genders, and offering many different subjects, from school stories to sports stories to romances to science fiction and fantasy. I see American comics moving in that direction, but I think manga has already been there for a while.

The flip thing does bother me. I hate having to reprogram myself to read a book.
This is part of my problem as well, although after a few pages I've relearned the process. The "purists" are pretty big on having the comic reprinted in as close to the original layout as possible, as I understand it.

The other problem I have is that most of the characters in any given manga series look alike to me, so it doesn't take much for me to become confused about who's doing what. Perhaps that's a cultural thing. I know that many librarians (and more than a few parents) have issues with the depictions of nudity in various manga comics. That's a cultural thing also, but still a factor in whether to invest in a particular series or not.

as for the style story telling ect....

I think the story telling in manga can be better than usual comics and i like how they keep same artest and story teller it helps you see it evolve more as they get better or just get in to it more.
This is a serious plus. One of the reasons some American superhero comics have such convoluted continuities and so many loose ends is the change in writers. If Writer B doesn't want to deal with Writer A's set-up or team roster or storyline, Writer B just goes out and does his/her own thing.

I think one of the other factors in this is the open-ended serial nature of many American comics -- there's no set direction for the plot, so writers sometimes either dash off something in order to meet the deadlines, or the story meanders its way along until someone comes up a specific direction for a story. (This seems to be the same problem with a lot of television shows, too.)

See I think the biggest problem with the Manga fans is that lots of them concider themselves JUST manga fans. Not sequential art fans and are fairly unwilling to try out american works that they'd more than likely enjoy.

That is so true.

Some people dont see how I have a few shelves of manga then shelves of normal comics like ultimate spider-man. they always say to me "how can you like both they are so diffrent" and I always say if a story is good to me and the art is good i'll read it.
I'm also aware of people who have exactly the opposite bias -- they'll only read American stuff, and won't touch manga.

Story is probably the single most important fact in choosing what to read. So I agree that either manga or American-style comics are acceptable in that regard.

One of the thing I love about anime (I assume its true about manga) is that there's usually an ending that their heading towards. There is an ultimate end, not like in america where a series is milked until its cancelled due to poor quality. I like it better when the writers choose to end it cause they can write a better overall story with a great closure to it. I would like more cartoons to take that idea.
Which is one reason I like the arc and graphic novel format American comics have gravitated toward in the last few years. Also, once you get outside the superhero genre, many graphic novels really are novels, in that they have a beginning, middle and end; all of the character development is done within the story, and you don't need to have read anything else to understand what's going on or follow the plot.

* coughs *

* points at Vertigo *

* Coughs *

I was refering more towards television, because though series end much sooner than comics they might as well plan the ending. But I'd like it if more companys plan all their comics out way in advance so they have some direction where its going.

Manga can be very good, but I honestly don't think its reached the same level as American comics. I haven't heard of any manga that can match something like Watchmen. I think there's an annoyingly vapid quality to a lot of popular manga. A lot of it seems...derivative. I think that comes from the way it's produced. Something about manga just seems fast and cheap.

And I suppose that's why people like it. A lot of why I don't like manga comes from jealousy. It annoys me that people are reading some of the dumber manga when there are so many profound and smart American comics out there. To me, it's like how people prefer cheap sitcoms over shows like Arrested Developement. They like it because its easy to digest and it doesn't force them to think as much.

That having been said, I agree with a lot of people that if Marvel and DC hope to catch up, they're going to start producing manga-style collections of their books. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is kind of up in the air.

"You're the strongest fighter in the universe!"
*new baddie shows up*
"Now you're not!"
*Goku trains*
"Now you are again!"
REPEAT FOR 600 EPISODES.
"Now that I have transformed into my 13th and penultimate form, you will never stop me GOKU!!!"
"I've come back from the dead for the fifth and last time during this battle to defeat you once and for all, Gleezo!!! SUPER SAIYAN 87!!!"

Last edited:
That having been said, I agree with a lot of people that if Marvel and DC hope to catch up, they're going to start producing manga-style collections of their books. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is kind of up in the air.

Well, Marvel has been doing Digest trades of some of thier books, but I think part of the problem there is that they're too narrow in the releases of it. The Digest line seems to consist of Spider-Girl (and some M2 stuff), Runnaways, and Marvel Age books. What they should do is release EVERYTHING in digest instead of the standard TPB. the digests seem to sell very well, and have a lower price point wich is better for bringing new readers in. For more serious collectors they should ramp up the oversized hardcover line, slanting it twords the more serious comic fan. I think DC should move in that direction too. Digests, HCs of stories that were well recived, and ABSOLUTEs of the truely amazing work.

Am I wrong?

The problem with manga is they dumb down the American versions. I only read Dragonball, One Piece and Naruto (I know, kid stuff, but I enjoy 'em), but they really dumbed down DBZ, OP and Naruto, which is suprising because the first few volumes of OP and the entire series of Dragonball kept most of the adult things from the original manga.

Now. . .I mean, they even replace things like damn and hell with darn and heck. It really is terrible.

But, when I read manga, I'm looking for silly entertainment, as opposed to Marvel comics for the action and deeper tone, or Vertigo for the truly adult themes. That's the appeal, I guess.

Last edited:
Sgt. Frog is a cool manga. and the anime is even better!! one of the funniest cartoons ive ever seen although its called keroro gunsou over in japan if you want to check it out. its absolutely huge over there right now and the movie came out earlier this year. damn i need to check that out!

Sgt. Frog is a cool manga. and the anime is even better!! one of the funniest cartoons ive ever seen although its called keroro gunsou over in japan if you want to check it out. its absolutely huge over there right now and the movie came out earlier this year. damn i need to check that out!

Never heard of it.

... and Fullmetal Alchemist kicks ***, it just needed to be said again

What's it about?

Last edited:
an army of frogs from outer space tried to take over the earth, they failed and a group of them got stuck on earth so they are trying to regroup and give it another go. its really funny stuff and while i was in japan it was just everywhere!
top_spr04.gif

That is the best thing I have EVER seen.

cromartie high school is another manga i liked but thought the anime was better. it got turned into a live-action movie earlier this year which was just great!

cromartie high school is another manga i liked but thought the anime was better. it got turned into a live-action movie earlier this year which was just great!

YES!! I just watched a few episodes on youtube, and I was laughing out loud most of the time. A show centered around a high school full of greaser punks, a robot, a gorilla, aliens, and Freddie (Mercury)...its the good kind of crazy!

Here's a fan made trailer which gives you a good taste of whats going on (you have to scroll down a little to watch it): http://tw.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=14

Latest posts

Back