The Incredible Hulk Discussion Thread--SPOILERS!!

How would you rate Letterier's "The Incredible Hulk"?

• Total voters
The scene that would have been after the credits, was moved to just before the credits

that's my one gripe, I get the point of it, not making people suffer through the credits, but there is a pretty big disconnect between the scene with banner in the woods, and RDJ's cameo, it would have made alot more sense to have it at the end of the credits

plus the end of the Banner part, makes for a perfect to the credits transition

Can we get a poll?

Thing is they wanted people to see it.

I mean lets face, only the comic book fans would have stayed after the credits.

I loved this film. The part I got a huge kick out of was "any last words?" "hulk .... smash" I was thinking "**** yeah he did the hulk smash" and they even added "betty" .

The action was great , There no overly predictable parts like some others , The charracters were great and even the humour "don't make me hungry" :lol: I give this a 4.4 out 5

Question. Is it just me or does Liv Tyler have a weird mouth? One minute it looks like bad botox or something. Then it was fairly normal , Then it was like bad botox or something again. It's like her lips were Hulking up

Question. Is it just me or does Liv Tyler have a weird mouth? One minute it looks like bad botox or something. Then it was fairly normal , Then it was like bad botox or something again. It's like her lips were Hulking up
She inherited it from the lead singer of that band you like so much.

She inherited it from the lead singer of that band you like so much.

I know but at least his are contently weirdly big , Hers seemed to increase and decrease in mass , It's freaky :lol:

I just found out that the kid in the computer room that Bruce gave the other box of pizza was ment to be Amadeus Cho.

Synopsis of cut scene material (SPOILER WARNING)

There's a point when Bruce Banner gives up on his quest for the cure and decide to kill himself. So he travels far north and reaches the Arctic Circle. You might have seen bits of it in some of the promos. The result was a very dark and strong scene, which Marvel, me and everyone else's considered to be too hard to young audiences to take, so we've cut it. Having that said, when Bruce arrives at his destination he meets up with Captain America! At some point this week, we will make it available on the internet – but I cannot tell you where or when – and the material will definitely be on the DVD."
- Whenever Banner tries to go to sleep, he starts getting flashbacks to being the Hulk. He has to force himself to calm down before he can get to sleep.

- Stan Lee's cameo wasn't originally meant to be the guy who drank the poisoned soda. Instead, the scene involves a black kid named Jimmy, whose brother steals his lunch and drinks his soda. The brother then collapses and goes into convulsions. Jimmy is supposed to be the same kid that's there during the Hulk vs. Abomination finale.

- Major Sparr, the female military character, had a ton of scenes cut. Not that anyone cares, even if she is taken from the comics. Prior to the mission, taking place before Blonsky asked about whether Banner is a fighter or not, one of the soldiers asks Sparr about the excitement of getting away from her desk job for this assignment. Sparr talks down at the soldier and points out that she'd rather be back at the desk. Also, from the debriefing and the mention of radiation being involved, one of the soldiers suspects to the others that Banner is smuggling plutonium.

- That scene where Banner comes to the aid of his female coworker at the bottle factory has a notable cut. In the movie, the jerk gets in Banner's face, but the boss calms things down before things can get bad. Originally, he tries to hit Banner and misses. The two have a full fight sequence that's the one guy trying to attack Banner and Banner casually dodging. Then the boss steps in before Banner can get hurt. Probably would have been an awkward bit.

- When the military guys put a camera in Banner's room, Rick the dog doesn't try to eat it, but instead licks it. One soldier looks at it and snickers as Blonsky just rolls his eyes and acts annoyed.

- After Hulk leaves the bottle factory, Ross steps in to chew everyone out. When Major Sparr promises that they'll get Banner next time, Ross gets angry that there shouldn't have to be a next time.

- General Ross and Sparr try to explain away the Hulk incident to Blonsky by talking about a gorilla sighting in the area. Blonsky doesn't buy it and wastes no time in disputing it.

- General Greller (the military guy played by the "This is SPARTA!" victim) chews out General Ross in his office. He refuses to believe Ross's story about the Hulk. Blonsky comes in and explains what he saw, though when describing the color of the monster, he says that due to the darkness he wasn't sure if it was green or gray. It's also mentioned that the only major war medal Blonsky hasn't received is the Medal of Honor. Greller ends up going forward with another strike against Banner, but with better soldiers.

Walking outside the office, Ross and Blonsky get in a heated exchange briefly, which leads to the beginning of the hallway scene in the movie. Ross adds a couple more details to the situation that created the Hulk. Banner wanted to use himself as a test subject because the government – not caring about the individual soldier – cut their funding. Ross gave Banner his blessing.

When talking about the Super Soldier Serum, Ross brings up that the project to recreate it had been shut down due to it getting out that they had been testing it on terrorist prisoners. The sample he had in storage is something he snuck away for a rainy day.

- There's more to Banner's pizza delivery antics, including a comedy scene where he delivers to a *****y sorority girl who doesn't want to pay full price. She opens the box, saying that the pizza is cold, despite all the steam coming out the top. Banner tells her not to make him angry, etc, etc, and she calls him a psycho, flicks an olive at him and slams the door.

A nearby college student with a keg tells Banner that he shouldn't take that.

"You gotta smash that door in and… and tell them…"

"It's clobbering time?"

"Yes! Exactly!"

"I'll keep that in mind."

- That Asian college student from the post-Ferrigno scene is supposed to be Amadeus Cho. You would know this because when Banner offers him the pizza, he says, "Whoever you are, you are my new personal hero. Amadeus Cho, at your service, and you couldn't have come at a better time. Gotta feed the brain."

When Banner is messaging Mr. Blue, he gets an IM from "Stealthwarrior229". Banner cautiously accepts the message and sees a digital animation appear on a chat screen where a monster goes on a rampage, causing Banner to widen his eyes in paranoid panic. Then the monster finds a pizza, eats it and devolves into Amadeus Cho. Banner looks over to see Cho holding a slice of pizza and waving back.

The hell?

- When Banner is hitchhiking to escape Betty, a truck does stop and the driver decides to let him in. That's when Betty drives over and gets out. The truck driver asks if Bruce is in or out, but when he and Betty embrace, the driver wishes them well and drives off.

- Leonard Samson gets a lot more play in the middle part of the story, which is the one major thing other than the suicide attempt that should have remained in the movie. I mean, they don't even mention him by name in the film.

When Banner and Betty enter the house, they find him on the phone – likely with the military – acting like he's speaking with a patient. He gets acquainted with Banner and insists that Banner and Betty sit together and talk as he goes to make dinner.

The discussion between Banner and Betty is longer, including Banner saying that Mr. Blue is Samuel Sterns. Betty recognizes the name. Banner is a bit paranoid that Sterns blew the whistle on him to the government, which is how they knew where to find him. Betty argues against that because Sterns is more of an anarchist and hates the government. In the middle of the conversation, Samson interrupts with dinner.

We see later, towards the end of the meal, where Samson is in the middle of an anecdote about one of his nuttier patients. Everyone has a good laugh and Banner starts joking with him. Having had a good time for the first time in years, Banner's laughter breaks into hysterical crying as the other two get silent.

- Betty and Samson are in bed together, but Betty's trying to hide her crying. Shortly after, Banner, who can't sleep, goes into the living room to find Samson sitting back, drinking. The two have a long conversation about Betty and is where the "go see a shrink" bit from the trailers comes from.

Great bit comes before that, though, from Samson's side of the discussion:

"I'll confess something to you if you'll clear up some things for me. First, I confess, as a man, as Betty's lover… that I have always hoped you were dead. Not because I didn't like you, but because I love Betty and I've known that unless you were really gone, or she believed you were, that there would always be three of us in this relationship. I've dreaded the thought of you walking through the door. But now that you're here… I have to admit that I'm very happy about it. Because I'm also a psychiatrist. And I'm committed to putting light into dark corners, so to speak, and I'm very good at finding my way into the places people hide their secrets."

The big thing is that he admits that Betty never told him anything Hulk-related and it's always made him curious.

- The next morning, the car doesn't work. It seems the battery is dead, but Banner knows that Betty turned the headlights off the night before, making him suspicious. It's decided that Betty will walk him to the bus.

- In the campus battle, the sonic amp trucks are referred to as Discos. Also, when Hulk powers through them, Sparr makes note that the angrier he gets the stronger he gets. Maybe it is for the better that they didn't play into that like they did in the Ang Lee movie. The viewer's ignorance of that does make Hulk seem slightly more beatable.

- When Banner wakes up in the cave, he wonders if he's dreaming. He admits that he's had many dreams involving Betty. Then he starts vomiting. He says that that usually isn't part of the dream, which relieves Betty.

- As Betty moves Banner into the motel, Banner mentions another dream he would have where the world is empty except for himself, the Hulk and insects that devour them on a daily basis, only for the Hulk to regenerate. A random allusion to Hulk: The End. This proceeds to weird out Betty.

- Betty gets confused at Banner's facial scar, when all his wounds as the Hulk healed up. Banner points out that any scars he gets in his puny form are permanent. This conversation leads to Betty ducking her head and brushing her hair to a certain spot to show a scar of hers from the initial Hulk incident. Once Banner realizes what it is, he tries to look away, but she insists he see it and assures him that it's okay and stopped hurting a long time ago.

- You know that news footage of the two college students describing Hulk? Notice how they only have like two seconds of them talking, just long enough for them to describe him as being a "hulk"? Yeah, there's a reason for that. The full dialogue the two of them had was unbearable. What the hell, here it is:

"Dude, it was like a huge and green… huge… I mean, like, the way Steve Nash looks standing next to Shaq? Shaq would look like that standing next to this."

"Dude, it was so big. It was like this huge… hulk. And home was stompin', yo."

- General Greller yells at General Ross for the Hulk information getting out to the public and for Blonsky getting demolished. He also makes a cryptic mention of another Super Soldier Serum failed experiment that Ross was involved in. Sounded like a reference to something for the Captain America movie. Shortly after, when Ross sees that Blonsky is fully healed up, Blonsky is actually showed in good spirits, joking with the nurses. This just shows more contrast in Ross' disturbed seriousness in what's happening.

- While driving around, Banner asks Betty about how long he's known Samson and whether or not she trusts him. He doesn't say that he believes Samson ratted on him, but it's implied. Once they drop the subject, that's where the discussion about what it feels like when he becomes the Hulk occurs.

- Major Sparr speaks with General Ross, suggesting that they up the terror alert so that they can inspect car passengers and have a better chance at finding Banner and Betty. She then questions Ross over Banner's quest to cure himself. Considering what the Hulk's done to them, who are they to keep him from stopping it? Ross then goes into a speech about his side of things. He feels that the technology involved with the Hulk is like fire. You can be afraid of it and run, or you could be the one to tame it, use it and bring the world to a new age. He chooses to be that man. Ross offers to allow Sparr to stay at her desk position, but out of loyalty, she asks to remain a field soldier for him.

- Don't know if this was filmed or note, but there's a montage of Banner and Betty enjoying songs on the radio as they drive. Though Banner sits one out when Aerosmith plays and Betty gets way into it.

- From the descriptions, the boat captain that Banner and Betty hire was supposed to be Stan Lee originally. His ship is even called the S.S. Excelsior.

- Okay. Now here's the part that I'm really glad they cut. Do you remember the SHIELD scene where they're able to figure out who Mr. Blue is and where to catch Banner just because of one sent email? That was WAAAAY better than what they originally had in mind.

Major Sparr is running into dead ends trying to figure out who Mr. Blue is through government technology, so she decides to type "Mr. Blue cellular biology" into Google. She finds a crapload of search results but after a couple pages, she finds a link to a YouTube video. Yes, a YouTube video. That video shows Samuel Sterns doing a presentation where he turns his unfortunate subject's skin blue. As everyone laughs at the proceedings, Sterns refers to his subject as "Mr. Blue". Sparr then puts "Samuel Sterns cellular biology" into Google and figures it all out.

She solved the huge national security mystery with Google and YouTube. It's like that 24 parody on South Park, only not meant to be funny.

- Sterns' lab is described as being more disturbing. His test subjects, as he mentioned to Banner, are revealed to be fetuses in jars.

- When Banner is shot with the tranquilizer dart, he hears a high-pitched scream. He then realizes that it's not Betty, but Sterns.

- Up on the helicopter, prior to jumping to his possible death, Banner admits to Betty that because he thought he killed her when he first became the Hulk, he tried to kill himself. The Hulk wouldn't let him, which is why he thinks the Hulk will save him from the fall. Also, someone suggests using the Disco amps on Abomination, but Ross refuses. There's not enough open space and it'll do more damage to the city.

- There's supposed to be a ton of fight footage from Hulk vs. Abomination on the cutting room floor. As far as I can remember, it was pretty much the same as in the book. The way I figure it, test audiences probably wanted more fighting, so they worked on adding more to it. Only they couldn't finish the effects in time, so they'll leave that for the director's cut. Just my guess.

- Hulk gets a few lines in the movie. Namely, "Leave me alone!", "HULK SMASH!" and "Betty…"

The novelization only has the third. So glad they changed that. I get that they wanted it to sound important that his first word was "Betty", but we want the money lines. I still can't believe Ang Lee's Hulk only had him grumble, "Puny human," in a dream sequence.

- When authorities and New York citizens step in to watch the end of the final battle, someone asks which one is the Hulk. General Ross yells, "It's the one that's winning! The one that's here to save your asses!"

- Hulk stops killing Abomination in the movie just because Betty screams, "Stop!" In the book, she screams his name a couple times and goes into one of those speeches about how if he kills Abomination, he's just as much a monster as he is. Once he lets Abomination go, the crowd starts chanting, "Hulk!"

- At the end of the movie, we see Leonard Samson trying to call Betty over and over again. Finally, she picks up. They talk for a little and she asks him if he ratted out Banner. Samson admits it and apologies profusely. Betty says she accepts the apology, but in a disingenuous manner. She isn't sure where she's going now, but promises to tell him when she figures it out. After the call ends, Samson starts crying into his hands.

Once the call is ended, Betty gets the letter sent by Bruce with her mother's necklace in it. She remarks, "Incredible."

There is alot of really neat stuff in there, and alot of stuff that I'm gld they cut out because it would have slowed the movie down too much

I also loved the score from the Hulk show when Banner walks away, when it was used with Bruce in the movie walking down the street at the beginning. I was like, "Sweet!"

This was AWESOME.

Everything's been said in the thread already, so I'll just say what a pleasant surprise this was. I knew it would be good but it was like ten times better than I thought it would be. Every actor was perfectly cast and really delivered. I recognized the name "Samuel Sterns" but I didn't even put it together with The Leader until in the car ride home my dad said "oh yeah, so what's going to happen with that Sterns guy? His head started to swell up.... is he going to be another Abomination" and it clicked and that was awesome.

My only real gripes are that with all the references and homages to the TV series, I wanted to see a classic hulk-out scene with the clothes ripping and all, and that the Stark scene DEFINITELY should've been after the credits. No question about it. Everybody in the theater waited it out anyway, just incase.

Anyway, this was the loudest, violentest, fightinest movie I've seen in ages. My ears were almost hurting in the theatre, but with something like this that's just the way I like it.

Stan Lee, Lou Ferrigno, and BILL BIXBY all got cameos?!

Raiting it similar to how Gemini did, I'll give it 8.5/10 as a movie, 9.5/10 as an action movie, and 10/10 as a Hulk movie.

Now this was a Hulk movie.

Most of the performance were excellent, though Liv Tyler's performance was unintentionally hilarious at points. But Edward Norton and Tim Roth were perfect. The CGI was far better than I expected and the Hulk looked excellent. (Although the fight scene with the Abomination suffered from Transformers syndrome: after a while, watching two CGI characters fight just starts to feel like watching a video game cut scene.)

All the big fight/rampage scenes were explo-tastically awesome. I also loved the bit where Hulk and Betty are in the cave. The way the Hulk acted around her and the two of them sitting together just felt like such a classic Hulk moment. All the references were fun, especially the "sad walking away" music from the show. I can't wait to see how they do the Leader.

It's great how they're introducing the Super Soldier program and everything. It works just like the Ultimate Universe: the super soldier program is the precursor to everything, and it's pretty logical existence makes a world with a bunch of superheroes in it seem so much more believable.

And Stark at the end.

WE'RE GETTING A ****ING AVENGERS MOVIE!!

The whole way Marvel is doing this is just like giving comic book fans a giant collective blowjob.

(Which would actually be a great in-theater promotion for their next movie. "BRING THE LATEST ISSUE OF NEW AVENGERS TO THE THEATER WHEN YOU GO TO SEE ANT-MAN AND THE FAT GUY WHO TAKES YOUR TICKET WILL GO IN THE BACK ROOM WITH YOU FOR FIVE MINUTES AFTER THE FILM!!")

Last edited:
Some sort of The-Ultimates-minus-irresponsible-psycho-Banner-plus-some-sort-of-equally-thrilling-and-appealing-adversary is what I'm generally hoping for right now, but I hope they "kick it up a notch" and "take it to the next level" too, of course.

Marvel is definitely doing things better already with just Hulk and Iron Man. I was telling ProjectX2 the other day that if you could imagine how different all the previous Marvel comic movies would have been if Marvel had done them themselves?

Saw this yesterday....

It was pretty decent. But I only say "decent" because I love Lee's Hulk so much.

ACTING
Almost everyone was spot on for their roles. As great as Bana was for bringing such intensity to the role...Norton was leaps and bounds better. While Bana genuinely made you feel sorry for him, Norton brought heart to the character and made him a likeable guy. You actually cared what happened to him.

As good as Hurt was as Ross....Elliott OWNS the ****ing role. There is no competition. One of the biggest problems I had with the movie and Hurt's role as Ross was the outdated look of the military. Now granted, I know that not everyone knows the same stuff I do when it comes to accuracy w/ military roles in film, but the Army did away with the old BDU green outfits almost 3 or more years ago. To have Iron Man be on the cutting edge and incorporate the Air Force grey ABU's (which have only became available to actual USAF personnel LATE last year) and have Hulk utilize old BDUs was just too much for me and kept taking me outta the film. It's a small quibble...but still big enough for me to note.

Liv Tyler is gorgeous. There is no arguement there. But I thought Jennifer Connelly was better. She gave Betty a strength that Tyler just seemed to lack. But you can't really blame her for doing her best with what she was given.....which wasn't a lot.

Roth was another thing about the film that kept taking me out the experience. Tim Roth is awesome. Tim Roth is the only reason anyone should ever watch The Musketeer. But placing him as a US Army Captain with a british accent and full beard was just too much. Especially when they said he was on loan from the British Royal Marine/Guard. If he was a British agent, then why was he in full US Army attire w/ a beard?!?!?!?! He should've been in his respective national uniform!!!! I realize that this complaint about attire in a film that has a giant green main character is so petty and retarded that this comes off as inconsequential as Twilight's rant about Seinfeld's Bee Movie being completely inaccurate. But ugh. But despite all my complaints---he did ok. I would've rather seen someone else in the role rather than have Roth waste his talent on something like this.

CGI/Special Effects
All the special effects were awesome............except for the 2 main CGI characters. While Abonimation wasn't that bad, Hulk suffered from the Leifeld Syndrome. Try tried to add too much detail into Hulk and the end result came off as so fake rather than Lee's Hulk. I defy anyone to say that Lee's Hulk wasn't so realistic and natural that it was scary (except for that one scene where he was caught in the giant wall of sticky foam and his eyeball began growing).

But with that said---the CGI for this was good enough for me to not laugh at. The final fight, like someone said before, did suffer from the Transformer problem but whatever.

NODS AND GEEK STUFF
This felt more like a continuation or big screen representation of the old TV show (just look at teh opening credits). There were so many nods to the TV show that it almost became a game to me and my dad to find all the nods. He beat me by one nod...at the end when Banner is sending mail to Betty, the package is labeled "David Banner". Which was Bixby's name in the show because they changed it since Bruce sounded too gay.

And all the comic nods just gave me goosebumps. Especially Stark. The only problem with that was that the surprise was ruined for me early on because I was watching some TV show and a Hulk commercial came on with the RDJ scene and the cut into the action scenes of the movie. So my RDJ nod was completely expected. They even mentioned the scene on some TV Guide red carpet premiere special. Ugh.

Overall, this was a good action movie and a worthy sucessor to the old TV show. But as a soft-reboot/sequel to Lee's film...I was disappointed. I give it a solid 7.5 outta 10.

I would say keep it up Marvel.....but I just saw the preview to Punisher War Zone. :cry:

It was pretty decent. But I only say "decent" because I love Lee's Hulk so much.
I don't care for it much, so after seeing this, I wouldn't mind if Lee's Hulk was erased from existence. :D

I would say keep it up Marvel.....but I just saw the preview to Punisher War Zone. :cry:
Did the rights go back to Marvel? I thought they were still with whoever did the first movie?

Totally agree that Sam Elliott was the better General Ross...

As for Tim Roth's accent, you do know he is in fact british, right?

Totally agree that Sam Elliott was the better General Ross...

As for Tim Roth's accent, you do know he is in fact british, right?
I like Hurt better than Elliot.

Also, I liked that since they didn't want to get a Russian language coach, they still made Blonsky from Russia, but was raised in England, which of course would obviously explain the British accent.

I was telling ProjectX2 the other day that if you could imagine how different all the previous Marvel comic movies would have been if Marvel had done them themselves?

We could have had a secret wars to give spidey black suit :D

Galactus wouldn't have been a cloud :D

Wolverine could have worn the yellow costume (maybe just made it darker, but still):D

Webshooters :D

I wish it had been so.

We could have had a secret wars to give spidey black suit :D

Galactus wouldn't have been a cloud :D

Wolverine could have worn the yellow costume (maybe just made it darker, but still):D

Webshooters :D

I wish it had been so.
Not what I meant, but hey. :lol:

Latest posts

Back