The Indiana Jones Complete Timeline / Chronology

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
My First Adventure 1908 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
Passion For Life 1908 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
The Perils of Cupid 1908 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
Travels with Father 1909 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
Journey of Radiance 1910 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
Young Indiana Jones and the Titanic Adventure 1912 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Pirates' Loot 1912 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Lost Gold of Durango 1912 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure 1913 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Terror 1913 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Princess of Peril 1913 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Ghostly Riders 1913 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Circle of Death 1913 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Journey to the Underworld 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Ruby Cross 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Gypsy Revenge 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Secret City 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountain of Fire 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Face of the Dragon 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Young Indiana Jones and the Eye of the Tiger 1914 (Young Adult Novel)
Spring Break Adventure 1916 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
Love's Sweet Song 1916 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 1 DVD)
Trenches of Hell 1916 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Demons of Deception 1916 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Phantom Train of Doom 1916 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life 1916 - 1917 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Attack of the Hawkmen 1917 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Adventures in the Secret Service 1917 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Espionage Escapades 1917 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Daredevils of the Desert 1917 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 2 DVD)
Instruments of Chaos Starring Young Indiana Jones 1918 (Video Game - Sega Genesis)
Tales of Innocence 1918 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Masks of Evil 1918 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye 1919 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Winds of Change 1919 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Mystery of the Blues 1920 (1950) (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Scandal of 1920 1920 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Hollywood Follies 1920 (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Vol. 3 DVD)
Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi 1920 - 1922 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants 1925 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils 1926 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge (1917) 1927 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy (1924) 1928 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Interior World 1928 - 1929 (Novel)
Indiana Jones Adventures - Vol. 1 1930 (Graphic Novel) **
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates 1930 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the White Witch 1930 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone 1933 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs 1933 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth 1934 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx 1934 (Novel)
Indiana Jones and the Shrine of the Sea Devil #1 1935 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2)
Indiana Jones in the Lost Kindgom 1935 (Video Game - Commodore 64)
Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures 1935 (Video Game - Windows)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb 1935 (Video Game - Windows / Xbox / PS2)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1935 (Feature Film - DVD)
Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods #1-4 1936 (Comic Book Mini-Series) **
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark 1936 (Feature Film - DVD)
Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients 1936 (Video Game - DOS)
The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #1-34 1936 - 1937 (Comic Book Ongoing Series)
Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold #1-4 1937 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 1)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1912) 1938 (Feature Film - DVD)
Indiana Jones 1939 (Video Game - Xbox 360 / PS3) **
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis 1939 (Video Game - DOS)
Indiana Jones and the Thunder in the Orient #1-6 1939 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 1)
Indiana Jones and the Sargasso Pirates #1-4 1939 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2)
Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece #1-2 1941 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2)
Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny #1-4 1945 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2)
Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix #1-4 1946 (The Indiana Jones Omnibus Vol. 2)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine 1947 (Video Game - Windows / N64)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 1957 (Feature Film - DVD)

Last edited:
In honor of the upcoming fourth Indy movie (and the merchandising juggernaut thats accompanying it), I posted my Indy timeline. I originally had put this together about 4 or 5 years ago, but have made adjustments and updated it for any new Indy-related releases since then. Some unreleased items are tentatively placed.

The movies are bolded and underlined, the Young Indy TV show is bolded, comic books/graphic novels are italicized and underlined, novels are italicized, and the various Indy videogames are in regular text.

The years the stories take place in are underlined, and the form its available in is in parentheses.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
i know one or more episodes of the young indiana jones series featured an older, bearded Indy, and an older still, eyepatched Indy... may wanna look into that (i think its on wikipedia)

i know one or more episodes of the young indiana jones series featured an older, bearded Indy, and an older still, eyepatched Indy... may wanna look into that (i think its on wikipedia)

Maybe also fit the scenes from Last crusade of a yooung Inday somewhere

Mystery of the Blues featured a late 40s/early 50s Jones, in which he was sporting a beard. Harrison Ford played him in a special guest appearance. He had the beard because he was filming The Fugitive at the time.

Most of the original aired episodes featured a 93 year old Indy with an eyepatch taking place in the early 90s, played by George Hall, as narrator to the events of the episode. However, for whatever reason, they were not included in the Young Indiana Jones boxsets, so they are no longer considered canon.

Actually. . .I don't think anything except the three Young Indy boxsets and the four movies are considered canon.

Mystery of the Blues featured a late 40s/early 50s Jones, in which he was sporting a beard. Harrison Ford played him in a special guest appearance. He had the beard because he was filming The Fugitive at the time.

Most of the original aired episodes featured a 93 year old Indy with an eyepatch taking place in the early 90s, played by George Hall, as narrator to the events of the episode. However, for whatever reason, they were not included in the Young Indiana Jones boxsets, so they are no longer considered canon.

Actually. . .I don't think anything except the three Young Indy boxsets and the four movies are considered canon.

So....maybe Indy doesn't live long enough to tell the stories now?

Another excellent job, DB. I had no idea that there were even original video games or novels to the series, I've really only ever seen the movies and I've been warned against seeing Young Indy.

I should be seeing Indy 4 opening day; not too much of an Indy guy but one of my better friends is goo-gaa over him and they are fun either way.

Originally, when the Young Indiana Jones episodes aired on TV, they were hour long "flashback" type stories, with bookend of a 93 year old Indy recounting his adventures as a young kid of teenager to his grandkids or daughter.

When George Lucas rereleased the series on video in the late 90's, he'd put the "flashback" portions all in chronological order, and cut and dropped the 93 year old Indy bookends. Thus, the bookends are no longer canonical and aren't included.

This was done supposedly because Lucas changed his mind on having Indy survive to live as an old man, living with his daughter and grandkids and being kind of a pathetic old man always hounding people to tell his stories to. It worked for the weekly TV show, but in the overall Indy mythos, it just didn't seem like Indy, so Lucas got rid of them.

Maybe also fit the scenes from Last crusade of a yooung Inday somewhere

Eh, I just treat that as a flashback. I included them in parentheses under the regular IJ&TLC listing. Anytime a date is listed in parentheses, a portion of the story takes place at that point, but the majority of the story takes place in the date outside of parentheses. There is even a case of a flashforward in the Young Indy Chronicles episode: "Mystery of the Blues". The majority of the story takes place in 1920, but the one and only bookend not to be cut by Lucas was of Indy circa 1950 (played by Harrison Ford in his one and only TV appearance as Indy). Same formula as the 93 year old Indy bookends, just done with 50 year old Indy played by Ford. This bookend was retained because it helped tie the show to the movies better.

Lynx said:

I'm not sure if Lucas includes the comics, novels, etc as canon like he does with the Star Wars properties. However, there's no reason not to consider them canonical (for the most part, there are a few exceptions like the French only novels or the Choose Your Own Adventure books Indy appeared in), as most Indy adventures are self-contained and don't depend heavily on his other adventures. Also, many contain specific dates to help flesh out the historical tone of Indy's adventures, so placing and ordering them is quite easy.

I see no reason not to consider the comics, video games, and novels as canon.

Foolsfolly said:
So....maybe Indy doesn't live long enough to tell the stories now?

Exactly. I think Lucas wanted to leave Indy's ending to more of a blaze of glory type ending. Who knows? Maybe Indy will die at the end of KotCS?

Ultxon said:
Another excellent job, DB. I had no idea that there were even original video games or novels to the series, I've really only ever seen the movies and I've been warned against seeing Young Indy.

Thanks, Ultxon. Yeah, Indy's been a licensing juggernaut in his own right since the early 80's. After Raiders was released, Marvel started publishing the ongoing comic book "The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones", which took place very soon after Raiders. A fair amount of video games were released on various systems:

Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Ancients (PC - DOS)
Indiana Jones and the Lost Kingdom (Commodore 64)
Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures (PC - Windows)
Young Indiana Jones and the Instruments of Chaos (Sega Genesis)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (N64 / PC - Windows)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Xbox / PS2 / PC - Windows)
Indiana Jones (Xbox 360 / PS3) * This game is still in production *

There are several more games available, but those only adapt the movies. The games listed above are all original adventures in the Indy timeline.

The Young Indiana Jones TV Show began airing in the early 90's. I just started rewatching them on DVD. The first volume was pretty lame (it mostly feature 10 year old Indy, and his adventures were just boring). The second volume of the DVD sets was much better (this one features 17 year olf Indy in WWI). I haven't seen the third volume yet (its not out until April 29).

Once the series started, many novels based on both Young Indy and the adult Indy were released. Any novels which are original adventures are included...any that are just adaptations of episodes are not included.

Then Dark Horse started publishing differenty Indy mini-series throughout the early to mid 90's (a lot adapting the YIJC TV show, so those aren't included on the timeline).

And now, with the fourth Indy movie coming out next month, Dark Horse is gearing up the Indy license again by releasing a new four issue mini series (and original adventure) called "Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods", as well as graphic novel digests featuring original stories called "Indiana Jones Adventures" (much like the "Star Wars - Clone Wars Adventures" GN).

Also nice is that DH just released two Omnibus volumes for all their Indiana Jones comic minis. These make it easy to collect the entire Indy run from DH. I'm just hoping Marvel will release something similar for their Further Adventures of Indiana Jones comic from the early-mid 80's. There were 34 issues total, so two or three Omnibus type volumes would do it.

I should be seeing Indy 4 opening day; not too much of an Indy guy but one of my better friends is goo-gaa over him and they are fun either way.

I'll be seeing it. I used to really be into the movies as a kid, and got into the show also. It was better as a kid, but it still helped build a fondness for the character. I'll surely be seeing the new movie on opening day also.

I'm not sure if Lucas includes the comics, novels, etc as canon like he does with the Star Wars properties. However, there's no reason not to consider them canonical (for the most part, there are a few exceptions like the French only novels or the Choose Your Own Adventure books Indy appeared in), as most Indy adventures are self-contained and don't depend heavily on his other adventures. Also, many contain specific dates to help flesh out the historical tone of Indy's adventures, so placing and ordering them is quite easy.

I see no reason not to consider the comics, video games, and novels as canon.

I just don't consider them canon because they've never been established as such by either Lucas or Spielberg. I'm not disputing your timeline, but it's just something I'm picky about.

Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Ancients (PC - DOS)
Indiana Jones and the Lost Kingdom (Commodore 64)
Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures (PC - Windows)
Young Indiana Jones and the Instruments of Chaos (Sega Genesis)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (N64 / PC - Windows)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Xbox / PS2 / PC - Windows)
Indiana Jones (Xbox 360 / PS3) * This game is still in production *

You forgot Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It's notable since it ties into the Infernal Machine.

I just don't consider them canon because they've never been established as such by either Lucas or Spielberg. I'm not disputing your timeline, but it's just something I'm picky about.

Fair enough.

You forgot Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It's notable since it ties into the Infernal Machine.

Yeah, I did. I included the comic book adaptation on the timeline, instead of the game though. I chose the comic book over the game (its the same story) since the comic is easier to come by (in the new IJ Omnibus), but the comic expands the storyline a bit, therefore in my mind the comic is the definitive edition since it includes all the material the game does, plus some the game doesn't.

Weren't there some episodes of the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones that took place after 1957? I seem to remember an extremely old Indy, still alive in the 1990s, reflecting on his past adventures.

Weren't there some episodes of the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones that took place after 1957? I seem to remember an extremely old Indy, still alive in the 1990s, reflecting on his past adventures.

Those are retconned because he dies at the end of Crystal Skull.

Latest posts

Back