The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (spoilers lie henceforth)

Re: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Out of curiousity, who would all of you think of putting in a league, lets say, during the 1970s-80s?

Here are my thoughts:

- Lestat De Lioncourt - Interview with the Vampire (this, of course, would never happen because Anne Rice is a ***** when it comes to characters being used outside her works)

- Dean Moriarty - On the Road (Moore has stated that this character would be in a modern league, and would be related to Prof. Moriarty)

- Ralph - Lord of the Flies (Now a young man, he would be haunted by what had gone on while he was on the island as a boy)

- Will Graham - Red Dragon (Retired from the FBI, or possibly still an active member... He would be an invaluable addition to the team)

- Eliot Rosewater - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (Eccentric millionaire and Christ Figure)

- James Bond, 007 - The Ian Fleming Novels (British Superspy, and descendent of Campion Bond)

Side Characters -
- Holden Caulfield - Catcher in the Rye (I see him as a messed up guy, in his 30s or 40s, but still not quite grown up. He probably wouldn't be in the league itself, but more of a guide on one leg of their journey, a la Inspecter Dupin in vol. 1)

- Ignatius J. Reily - Confederacy of Dunces (Particularly if Lestat were involved, and the story moved down to New Orleans to meet up with him... I'm sure Ignatius could chat them up something awful)

- Hannibal Lector - Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs (I would love to see the League have to consult the mass murderer to get some information on a villain)

----

I would love the plot to have a great deal to due with Vonnegut's superweapon, The mighty Ice-Nine from the book "Cat's Cradle"

Perhaps it would be taken by some fictional crimelord who alludes me at the moment... or perhaps it would be taken by the Soviets, and this would become a Cold War story complete with Russian characters I am unfamiliar with.

In other news, I hate that we have to wait another year for the Black Dossier. I hope Volume Three starts coming out soon afterwards.

An elderly Indiana Jones should show up sometime as well.

The thing is that Jones is a movie character, and Moore doesn't like or even watch movies all that often.

But I'm not Moore, and we aren't writing the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Two reasons why the Traveller's Almanac that accompanies Vol. 2 is one of the best things ever written...

Quote 1:

...a crewman who had sailed with Robert Owe-Much from the isle of Scoti Moria, discussed in our first chapter, came with Owe-Much to America, eventually to setle near Los Angeles. The crewman, a fellow named Lebowsky, had been formerly a member of the naiad race of Scoti Moria, but it is not know if he continued the traditional Naiad habits of smoking and nine-pins once established in America, or indeed if he produced any subsequent offspring of any note.

Quote 2:

...at sunset yesterday we glimpsed the claw-carved ice caves that comprise the region called Polar Bear Kingdom, where we were intrigued to find the gentle yet ferocious looking ursine natives quite conversant with the English language and entirely unsuprised by our arrival in the frigid coastal waters of their realm.

As they showed us the stores of ice-bound frozen dino-saurians they use as food ( some of them dressed in sealskin and, I fear, come from the North Pole Kingdom further east), they told us how they had been lately visited by representatives of an American who manufactured phosphate drinks and was most anxious in securing the pictorial rights to any suitably appealing bear activity. They also said that the representatives had next struck further north in hope of finding an elusive polar witch-doctor with whom they sought to make a familiar agreement... ...The towering, softly spoken beasts of the Polar Bear Kingdom said that daily they anticipated the arrival of replaement representatives come from the phosphate soda company to deal with them, and had indeed hoped we ourselves might be such persons.

The Big Lebowsky and the Coca Cola Polar bears.

Seriously.

Alan Moore ****ing ROCKS.

The third book of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be a three-issue series. Each issue will be 72 pages long and will tell a stand-alone story that will nevertheless build up into an overarching narrative. The first story takes place in 1910 and a lot of it concerns the events of Bertolt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera. So, we've got Mack the Knife and Pirate Jenny wandering through the narrative, along with other characters from the literature of that period. I'm about third of the way through that first 72-page chapter at the moment. The second story will take place in 1968 during the Summer of Love and will have lots of fictional characters relating to the 1960s involved in it. And the third and final chapter will take place in 2007 or 2008. Whenever the book comes out will be the year it will be set in. It will be dealing, at least in part, with contemporary characters that will probably not be possible for us to refer to directly by name, but because of the nature of our culture everybody already knows all of the trivia surrounding these characters, and if they don't know it, they can google it. So even with the slightest of allusions, you can tip the reader about who you're talking about without risking any sort of problems from copyright lawyers.

The thing is that Jones is a movie character, and Moore doesn't like or even watch movies all that often.
I forget who said this, whether it was here on UC or in a conversation with someone else, but someone once said that an American LXG would have to be made up of movie characters because movies are the pop literature of America. Or something.

The third book of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be a three-issue series. Each issue will be 72 pages long and will tell a stand-alone story that will nevertheless build up into an overarching narrative. The first story takes place in 1910 and a lot of it concerns the events of Bertolt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera. So, we've got Mack the Knife and Pirate Jenny wandering through the narrative, along with other characters from the literature of that period. I'm about third of the way through that first 72-page chapter at the moment. The second story will take place in 1968 during the Summer of Love and will have lots of fictional characters relating to the 1960s involved in it. And the third and final chapter will take place in 2007 or 2008. Whenever the book comes out will be the year it will be set in. It will be dealing, at least in part, with contemporary characters that will probably not be possible for us to refer to directly by name, but because of the nature of our culture everybody already knows all of the trivia surrounding these characters, and if they don't know it, they can google it. So even with the slightest of allusions, you can tip the reader about who you're talking about without risking any sort of problems from copyright lawyers.

Awesome... Where'd you hear that?

Man, the format for the new book sounds soooo cool. I'm gonna love each one of those three books more than I've ever loved anything in my life.

In regards to Dr. Strangefate's assessment of the modern League, I can think of three additions off the top of my stoned head.

Charlie Brown, Willy Wonka, and Patrick Bateman (American Psycho).

EDIT: I'd also put in Jay Gatsby

Last edited:

Awesome... Where'd you hear that?

I was reading random Moore interviews and that was chucked in there.

I have an idea for a modern League, well, two actually - an American League, and a British League. I'll try and get it typed up.

DC has the release date for The Black Dossier as January 10th. Amazon has it being published in October or September. I hope DC is right.

Has anyone read the two annotation books? When I order all of the League TPBs I'm thinking of getting them... but I don't want to spend money on them if it's the same stuff that's on the internet.

I want The Black Dossier. Now.

DC has the release date for The Black Dossier as January 10th. Amazon has it being published in October or September. I hope DC is right.

Has anyone read the two annotation books? When I order all of the League TPBs I'm thinking of getting them... but I don't want to spend money on them if it's the same stuff that's on the internet.

I want The Black Dossier. Now.

I've preordered it.

I meant for it to be a gift for Christmas.

I was robbed.

Now, it will have to be a birthday gift for the same person

[IMGL]http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog/covers/league_3_image_lg.gif[/IMGL]Co-Published By Top Shelf Productions & Knockabout

Beginning In 2008…

The third volume detailing the exploits of Miss Wilhelmina Murray and her extraordinary colleagues is a 216-page epic spanning almost a hundred years and entitled Century. Divided into three 72-page chapters, each a self-contained narrative to avoid frustrating cliff-hanger delays between episodes, this monumental tale takes place in three distinct eras, building to an apocalyptic conclusion occurring in our own current twenty-first century.

Chapter one is set against a backdrop of London, 1910, twelve years after the failed Martian invasion and nine years since England put a man upon the moon. With Halley's Comet passing overhead, the nation prepares for the coronation of King George V, and far away on his South Atlantic Island, the science-pirate Captain Nemo is dying. In the bowels of the British Museum, Carnacki the ghost-finder is plagued by visions of a shadowy occult order who are attempting to create something called a Moonchild, while on London's dockside the most notorious serial murderer of the previous century has returned to carry on his grisly trade. Working for Mycroft Holmes' British Intelligence alongside a rejuvenated Allan Quartermain, the reformed thief Anthony Raffles and the eternal warrior Orlando, Miss Murray is drawn into a brutal opera acted out upon the waterfront by players that include the furiously angry Pirate Jenny and the charismatic butcher known as Mac the Knife.

Chapter two takes place almost sixty years later in the psychedelic daze of Swinging London during 1968, a place where Tadukic Acid Diethylamide 26 is the drug of choice, and where different underworlds are starting to overlap dangerously to an accompaniment of sit-ins and sitars. The vicious gangster bosses of London's East End find themselves brought into contact with a counter-culture underground of mystical and medicated flower-children, or amoral pop-stars on the edge of psychological disintegration and developing a taste for Satanism. Alerted to a threat concerning the same magic order that she and her colleagues were investigating during 1910, a thoroughly modern Mina Murray and her dwindling league of comrades attempt to navigate the perilous rapids of London's hippy and criminal subculture, as well as the twilight world of its occultists. Starting to buckle from the pressures of the twentieth century and the weight of their own endless lives, Mina and her companions must nevertheless prevent the making of a Moonchild that might well turn out to be the antichrist.

In chapter three, the narrative draws to its cataclysmic close in London 2008. The magical child whose ominous coming has been foretold for the past hundred years has now been born and has grown up to claim his dreadful heritage. His promised aeon of unending terror can commence, the world can now be ended starting with North London, and there is no League, extraordinary or otherwise, that now stands in his way. The bitter, intractable war of attrition in Q'umar crawls bloodily to its fifth year, away in Kashmir a Sikh terrorist with a now-nuclear-armed submarine wages a holy war against Islam that might push the whole world into atomic holocaust, and in a London mental institution there's a patient who insists that she has all the answers.

Drawing from the fiction, theatre, film and television culture of the twentieth century as artfully as the preceding volumes drew upon the literature of the nineteenth, this first installment of the League's adventures to be co-published by Top Shelf Productions and Knockabout takes our familiar cast of characters … plus several previously unfamiliar … and propels them into a new age, a new world every bit as strange and savage as the colourful Victorian era they were born to. More than this, with its third volume the League's exploits move into a different realm of format, artistry and story-telling as this remarkable series sets out to explore the full limits of the vast fictional cosmos that it has marked as its territory. A unified field theory of fiction as much as a comic-book story, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Volume III): Century is sure to be like nothing you have ever read, and will be co-published in three lavish, full-color individual volumes by Top Shelf Productions and Knockabout, commencing in 2008.

Published as three deluxe, 72-page, full-color, perfect-bound graphic novellas, written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill.

SHIPPING IN 2008!
ISBN 978-1-60309-000-1

Amazing. I can't wait, especially because Thomas Carnacki and his Electric Pentagrams will be in it!

http://blog.newsarama.com/2007/02/01/alan-moores-going-to-be-busy-in-2008/
http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?type=13

Last edited:

Yes! Moore's finally going to use A.J. Raffles! And a plot based on Aleister Crowley... This is going to kick ***.

Latest posts

Back