The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (spoilers lie henceforth)

Re: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I reread the two volumes not long ago and I think they're both amazingly well done.

The characters are very well done; what separates LoEG from other team titles is that not only is the main team cast incredibly polarized, but each arc is completely self-contained and very well orchestrated and paced, with a real sense of gravity to the story whilst somehow, and for me this is the crazy part, still being able to be rollicking good fun. I don't get how he did it.

It's a bit like Hellboy in that regard.

I reread the two volumes not long ago and I think they're both amazingly well done.

The characters are very well done; what separates LoEG from other team titles is that not only is the main team cast incredibly polarized, but each arc is completely self-contained and very well orchestrated and paced, with a real sense of gravity to the story whilst somehow, and for me this is the crazy part, still being able to be rollicking good fun. I don't get how he did it.

It's a bit like Hellboy in that regard.

I think it's a brilliant idea and I'm glad he's using it to explore the entirety of fiction. Like Planetary, in a way, and Planetary is great.

Also, I've read about the end of the Black Dossier, and...
Promethea fans should love it.

I just picked up Black Dossier today. I'm planning on reading it later on tonight. It was so hard to find - I looked at Borders, Borders Express, Comic City, and finally Barnes & Noble. My regular comic store - Comic Relief - was way out of the way.

I can't wait to read this.

I just got done reading the whole thing. I love how Moore had
James Bond, the legendary James Bond, as such a womanizing prick. I mean, it goes beyond Bond's usual antics and portrays him as such an inexperienced, sex-crazed lunatic. And I loved the little bit where Allan/Mina were like "Oodles O'Quim? He must meet women with names like that all the time." LoEG has definitely evolved from being not just a source book for literature, but into being its own universe of sorts. I still haven't read through all the extras that Moore added in, since there's so much. And that's some of the best stuff.

Last edited:

This book scares me. The 3d section is amazing.

And the beatnik novel is insane. I don't think I can read that.

James Bond, the legendary James Bond, as such a womanizing prick. I mean, it goes beyond Bond's usual antics and portrays him as such an inexperienced, sex-crazed lunatic. And I loved the little bit where Allan/Mina were like "Oodles O'Quim? He must meet women with names like that all the time." LoEG has definitely evolved from being not just a source book for literature, but into being its own universe of sorts. I still haven't read through all the extras that Moore added in, since there's so much. And that's some of the best stuff.

I thought Moore couldn't use Bond because he was copyrighted? Hence the existence of Campion Bond.

I thought Moore couldn't use Bond because he was copyrighted? Hence the existence of Campion Bond.

He's not called James Bond in the book. He's only referred to as "Jimmy".

My copy is sitting on the porch under the Christmas tree right now.

Gar! December 25th can't come fast enough.

Yes, our porch is indoors. It's the room between the front door and the living room. We've always put our tree out there. You can see it through the windows and from the living room.

And my mom just generally puts wrapped and unwrapped gifts under the tree until Christmas (unless it's a surprise or something). It's not like I'm going to be wondering why Santa came early or anything.

The identity of the Black Balloonist was a bit... different.

Just read THE BLACK DOSSIER.

Loved the Orlando story. Didn't get the ending with the 3D section. Didn't read every extra (or much of any of them). Still enjoyed the hell out of it. Loved Bond most of all. :D

Didn't get the ending with the 3D section.
What's there to get? Mina and Allan go to the Blazing World and give Prospero the Black Dossier. Okay, maybe it's a bit confusingly portrayed, but the gist of it is pretty simple.

I think he means the purpose of The Blazing World, which is a bit bizarre to me too... I am thinking its just sort of like Promethea's premise.

I think he means the purpose of The Blazing World, which is a bit bizarre to me too... I am thinking its just sort of like Promethea's premise.

I don't follow why it's bizarre. It's the place where the world's most bizarre fantasies live, and it's a Utopia Prospero's Men searched for since their formation.

Latest posts

Back