The Marvel Movie Reporting Thread.

Why is he so highly paid? He didn't do anything! I didn't even know who he was before Iron Man.
Remember that Howard was in at least 13 films since 2004's Crash, which makes him at least B-list in terms of star power, and he was the first minor name they could contract in a project that had been pretty much in development hell before.

In any case, I don't think the producers deliberately paid him more than the other actors, so much as the producers did really bad negotiating and a poor job in figuring out how to measure the part of the budget allocated to contracts. If anything, I suspect the reason Paltrow, Downey and Bridges got paid less was because they ran out of contract money to spend.

However, don't forget that Downey, for all his fame and critical acclaim and magazine cover good looks is by no means a star brand. Everybody remembers him because he's a good actor, yes, but he doesn't exactly have a history of huge box office receipts. So when negotiating a contract, Downey can't command all that large a salary, because he's not a guaranteed box office asset.

CBR:

Actor Robert Downey, Jr. has finally chimed in on the casting changes for the sequel. "I had nothing to do with that decision," Downey Jr. said. "I love Terrence very very much. That's all I'll say because I haven't talked to him yet. I've always admired Don. It's one of those situations where I still don't quite know what happened or why. Here's what happens too: things happen and you wind up commenting on them before you've actually talked to the people and it's in poor taste."

However, don't forget that Downey, for all his fame and critical acclaim and magazine cover good looks is by no means a star brand. Everybody remembers him because he's a good actor, yes, but he doesn't exactly have a history of huge box office receipts. So when negotiating a contract, Downey can't command all that large a salary, because he's not a guaranteed box office asset.

Where you during the Boreanaz GL debacle?

That must why they are doing X-men first class. It'll keep them the rights

That must why they are doing X-men first class. It'll keep them the rights

The X-Men: First Class movie will never happen.

The general movie going audience isn't going to give two ****s about kiddie mutant characters they've never heard of before.

Just saying. It was a dumb idea to begin with in anything outside of comics themselves.

Just think of the movie poster reading "X-Men: First Class". It just sounds stupid, and will most assuredly result in a stupid film.

The X-Men: First Class movie will never happen.

The general movie going audience isn't going to give two ****s about kiddie mutant characters they've never heard of before.

Just saying. It was a dumb idea to begin with in anything outside of comics themselves.

Just think of the movie poster reading "X-Men: First Class". It just sounds stupid, and will most assuredly result in a stupid film.

But they have heard of them as logically it'll be the mutants in X-men 1 (minus Wolverine and Rouge) just younger and one or two new ones they can introduce like they did others in 2 and 3.

Yeah, it'll be with the mutants they've seen. How would it be that they've never "heard of before?"

It's Iceman, a younger Cyclops and Jean, Angel, and a non-hairy Beast.

But they have heard of them as logically it'll be the mutants in X-men 1 (minus Wolverine and Rouge) just younger and one or two new ones they can introduce like they did others in 2 and 3.

Yeah, it'll be with the mutants they've seen. How would it be that they've never "heard of before?"

It's Iceman, a younger Cyclops and Jean, Angel, and a non-hairy Beast.

Oh, my mistake. I assumed it would occur after the existing X-Men trilogy and focus on new mutants. Basically a movie version of New Mutants. ;)

In that case, I'd actually like to check that out. But I hate the title. First Class is just dumb. Keep it simple and streamlined with the Wolverine: Origins movie, and just call it X-Men Origins or something less stupid. I just don't like "First Class" for the title.

Last edited:
Hopefully Marvel gets the rights back, and launches a whole new franchise based on Mutants....

They could do a classic X-Men movie, reinventing everything...

Then you've got the noirish X-Factor, the more hardcore action based X-Force, and the more Teen Friendly New Mutants (keeping the X-Men characters in supporting roles, of course). Then it'd probably be X-Men 2, and that could lead up to a big crossover event movie.

They should apply the Avengers principle to every corner of the Marvel Universe. Approach from every corner, then release a big crossover film.

That'd be amazing.

They should apply the Avengers principle to every corner of the Marvel Universe. Approach from every corner, then release a big crossover film.

That'd be amazing.

Like if they get the Spider-man rights back we could get the Secret Wars black costume origin live action :D

But If Marvel get X-men rights back I want one thing live action, Hulk vs Wolverine!

I believe that's what FOX wanted at first.

Ok. I knew I'd read somewhere that was the intention. I didn't realize some sense had been talked into the FOX execs.

I want a noirish X-Factor movie with Layla Miller and a New X-Men movie with Surge, Hellion, Dust, and all them.

See, thats what I'm saying wouldn't be a good idea. The average movie-going audience has at least heard of or recognizes Wolverine, Cyclops, etc.

They're not going to recognize those names. Hell, I read comics and only know of a few of them, and not that well at all. While it might be cool for hardcore X-fans, it'd probably be an abysmal failure in terms of box office.

From MTV News, comes word that screenwriter Justin Theroux did not scale back Rhodey's character for Iron Man 2:

"All that stuff that was in the 'EW' article," Theroux started before a brief pause. "I don't know. I can only tell you what I know which is that from a writing standpoint we didn't do anything differently [with the character]. It's not like we were sitting there going, we need less of this or that. We just approached the characters and the story on their own terms."

But the average fan of the X-men movies might go see it, cause they enjoyed the originals.

"Might go see it" isn't what studio execs want to hear people say concerning high-budget, franchise movies.

You're absolutely right that some people will go see it merely because such a movie features the X-Men name, and even some of those because they're excited to see those 2nd or 3rd tier mutants onscreen. But your average movie-goer isn't going to know who most of them are, and most of those probably wouldn't be that excited to see it, therefore equalling not very big box office returns.

Its still all about the Benjamins.

Latest posts

Back