The Most Dangerous Game

Bass

Nexus of the World
I really enjoyed Millar's Ultimate X-Men run, but since then, I've not enjoyed UXM. Bendis' run was piss-poor, and Vaughn's run hasn't been exciting really.

I mean, the Sinister arc was actually okay (though, I'm upset he lost the giant cloak... ah, well), and Fenris wasn't too bad at all. They weren't great, but they certainly weren't bad. Just a bit better than lukewarm.

But the current arc? I LOVE it. Really, really exciting, and I think Vaughn has a real talent for ultimatising characters.

Vaughn must have just gone into the Mojo file and just deleted the word alien. It's so true to the characters - Longshot, Mojo, Arcade, Spiral, everyone is so well-handled, they fit perfectly into the book. This is true even for Apocalypse, Sinister, and Fenris.

Unless Vaughn is picking up from unused threads from Millar or Bendis' desk, part of me is upset that he wasn't responsible for a lot of the Ultimatising of characters - simply because these ones are so effortlessly done.

(I'm finding it to be a hard wait for Ultimate Apocalypse.)

But yeah, UXM is really kicking it at the moment, don't you think? I hope Immonen stays on for a while too, he's terrific.

EH?

Vaughan has been doing an EXCELLENT job since his first issue on the series. He's doing better writing the characters than Millar and Bendis, because Vaughan has doen a great job giving them the right "screen time". His ultimizations are really good.

Immonen- he's good, but he's not terrific. Honestly, I know I can keep saying this over and over, but he DOES draw Bobby like a girl, a bit.

I woundn't say Vaughn has been excellent, but he is good. Yeah, I didn't mean to sound so lack luster towards Vaughn as I do above. He was doing a fine job, I just think compared to his current run, well, it's trite. I mean - THAT is how much I love "The Most Dangerous Game". :D

My opinion of Vaughn is fairly well known here. He's great. Immonen I'm really not a fan of. His art is too cartoony.

While I totally agree with you about Immonen, his cartoony style is not entirely his fault, which is prevelant in the May issue's cover. He's fine for now... I'm getting used to his interpretations of the characters.

Also, at times I feel Vaughan is holding back... Like, I really like his writing and all, however, I feel the plots that he's using are elementary compared to what both Millar and Bendis did. What I think he needs to do is give this title more of an edge, you know?

I agree as well. Immomens not as good as the previous artists but hey, it could be worse. A lot worse, like, Ramos worse! *shudders*

Yeah, or Chris Bachalo worse... Do you remember how hideous his stuff was in Ultimate War? Now, I can't even tell what's going on in his Age of Apocolypse issue... Sheesh.

Goodwill said:
Yeah, or Chris Bachalo worse... Do you remember how hideous his stuff was in Ultimate War? Now, I can't even tell what's going on in his Age of Apocolypse issue... Sheesh.
Maybe it's your eyes, cuz I sure as hell can.

:lol: In the preview pages, Wolverine in that robe looks like his head was hit with a pancake iron, which is why I had a difficult time of seeing what was what. ;)

I like Chris Bachalo's work a lot. I think he's got real talent.

That said, if you don't like it, that's fair enough. It is messy, and very cluttered. But it is extremely well done, but I can certainly understand why some people don't like it.

Especially in the Ultimate line. Hairsine and Bachalo are, in my opinion, kind of not appropriate for the Ultimate line, simply because their work is very... grungey. I love both of them, but the Ultimate line a very clear, easy-to-see, decompressed style of story telling. Hitch, and Immonen are perfect for it, Hairsine and Bachalo are not (except Hairsine's Ultimate Nightmare where style and content really were well-matched).

But then, each to their own, I guess.

Here's something about Immonen: the guy is very fast at drawing, which infuriated Warren Ellis no end during their Doom arc. Y'see, Immonen is doing a style of drawing where you draw just the fewest, most basic lines to convey the image. The irony is, this method is usually slower, since the artist draws a full image, then removes each unnecessary line (Adam Hughes does this, for example) - but for some reason, Immonen is even faster. So fast, that Ellis would send him a few pages, and they'd be fully drawn before Ellis had finished the next batch of pages - so Ellis told people to go to Immonen's site so that the bandwidth would crash and that would give him something else to do.

So hey, if Immomen's on the title, it's unlikely that it'll ship late.

Interesting - that further supports my theory from WAAAAAAAAY back that the delay in Ultimate X-Men was an editorial decision to keep the arc flowing regularly when they added the extra issue, not due to slow art.

What is Immonen's site, by the way? I'll add it to the links here.

The site is http://www.immonen.ca

He did a cute little 50-part comic strip on the site called "50 Reasons to stop doing [convention] sketches" which were very funny.

They might not be on the site, and I have all 50, which I can happily upload to you UltimateE and you can post them here or whatever.

icemastertron said:
EH?

Vaughan has been doing an EXCELLENT job since his first issue on the series. He's doing better writing the characters than Millar and Bendis, because Vaughan has doen a great job giving them the right "screen time". His ultimizations are really good.
I agree with you on that, Ice. His Ultimatizations are really his strength even though it doesn't necessarily guarantee a completely mind blowing plot. And he seems to really inject a lot of nuance into his ideas. It's kind of the same thing I have with his work on Ex Machina and Runaways, the plots aren't really anything big but it's the little details that really draw you in.

ourchair said:
I agree with you on that, Ice. His Ultimatizations are really his strength even though it doesn't necessarily guarantee a completely mind blowing plot. And he seems to really inject a lot of nuance into his ideas. It's kind of the same thing I have with his work on Ex Machina and Runaways, the plots aren't really anything big but it's the little details that really draw you in.
Agreed.

Latest posts

Back