The Most Dangerous Game

I'd like to see him, in this last arc, have an epic battle between good and bad, so that, when it comes down to it, he can proove his range plot-wise.

Vaughan ... well

He's doing tremendously great characterizations. His main plots are a lot to conventional and straightforward for me, however. I'd like to see something original happen, for a chance.
What generally pisses me of withhis run is the constant names-dropping, however. Everytime I read one of his issues recently, I feel like all the good lines and scenes are second-hand-already-done-616-namesdropping.
Why the hell does he have to use 616-material practically exclusively? Where's the new stuff that's making Ultimates and Supreme Pwer so great?

I also hate Immonem's art. It started out okay on uFF, got worse during his run and it feels way wrong on uX-Men. That's my opinion, at least.

Ricky

Really? I think Immonen's exceptionally talented.

Plus, I think Vaughn's ultimisations are terrific because they get straight to the essence of the characters while making them appear new. Think about that: they seem familiar and brand new. Very difficult to acheive - but to do it repeatedly? I am impressed.

But then, Ricky, you agree with me on Bendis, so you can't be all bad. :wink:

Well, I do think that Vaughan is a very strong writer, however, there's no edge to him. I find him to be the epitome of "all ages" writing. Both Millar and Bendis could write a more dark tale while Vaughan has failed to do anything more than a slew of murders that really didn't strike any chords. I do love his writing, don't get me wrong, I just think he needs to step it up!

Goodwill said:
Well, I do think that Vaughan is a very strong writer, however, there's no edge to him. I find him to be the epitome of "all ages" writing. Both Millar and Bendis could write a more dark tale while Vaughan has failed to do anything more than a slew of murders that really didn't strike any chords. I do love his writing, don't get me wrong, I just think he needs to step it up!

I don't think either Bendis or Millar has really demonstrated their ability at writing dark stories in the Ultimate Universe yet. Ultimates has had none, UXM has had none and USM hasn't had any either. I wouldn't nearly give most of Vaughn's work on UXM all ages. There have been a number of things addressed in his run but they have been addressed as themes rather than through the use of personalization as a way to deal with a theme.

Goodwill said:
Well, I do think that Vaughan is a very strong writer, however, there's no edge to him. I find him to be the epitome of "all ages" writing.
Don't see a problem since this is an ALL AGES book. :roll:

Vaughn's good,but i never saw the hype surrounding him.I think this book was at its peak during Millars run and just hasn't acheived the same level since.And I generally like Bachalo,but AOA#1 was dreadful.

Well, I thought that, since Millar took the president on the lawn in his tighty whities, that there was more of an edge to it... It was more darker than the bright and vibrant setting of Krakoa that we have now, put it that way. Throughout Millar and Bendis' run, you expected the color schemes to be a little less attractive because everything that was happening was painted into a surreal canvas where it COULD be reality (It's not, you guys). That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying that Vaughan isn't realistic, but he put comic book back into UXM.

It's not a bad thing, I just think it's a very different approach the changing genre. I think people are more interested in the less hoaky stories. He doesn't have hoaky storylines, but, yeah... You know.

Nah I prefer the dark edgy take,especially the "Is Chuck controlling our minds" subplot.I don't think its that though,The Tempest and Cry Wolf had the same colour scheme as the earlier stuff.

I'm with you, MwoF. I really think it's a dead end on any writer's part. There are more ways to indirectly hint that Charles is an evil man than to have him control his students into having conversations about their own actions. They can totally help themselves, here, they can decide not to do it if they have enough free will to think that Xavier's controlling them.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I hate the subplot. I really hope the students learn to trust Charles soon.

See I wouldn't mind it going either way. It could be Charles is good but there were some hints during Millar's run that he flat out wasn't. I'd be equally interested to see how that turned out just because it would be new and interesting.

I like it, as it's a great little twist on Charle's charatcer, that really doesn't hurt him. But I DON'T want this to go on forever.

It's hard to place, but Vaughan is loosing the edge, I think. His plots are to locked up in X-Men history. There's tons of references to old 616-x-books, but hardly any references to anything else. His stories lack a certain connection to the world outside comic-books.
Take Krakoa for example. It's a small island named after ... a place from a sixties X-Men book. It's located next to Genosha, a place from ... a ninties X-book. Why?

We wouldn't even know where these countries were, if he hadn't mentioned in a by-the-way way, that Genosha was off the African coast. I sometimes doubt, Vaughan himself has put much thought into this. I've reread 54-56 with a special notion of the setting, and the story doesn't feel even remotely like its set in any real modern African country.
So, in a nut-shell, Vaughan has taken the real-world out and put the comic-book back into the Ultimate X-Men, and I personally don't enjoy that approach.

Ricky said:
It's hard to place, but Vaughan is loosing the edge, I think. His plots are to locked up in X-Men history. There's tons of references to old 616-x-books, but hardly any references to anything else. His stories lack a certain connection to the world outside comic-books.

So what your saying is that you don't want any of the Ultimate books to have so many 616 references? Personally, I find the way Vaughn acknowledges continuity interesting because it goes hand in hand with his fantastic skill in ultimizations. He's recreated characters in a way that both acknowledges their 616 history but also gets rid of a lot of the baggage. (Eg. Mojo).

Ricky said:
Take Krakoa for example. It's a small island named after ... a place from a sixties X-Men book. It's located next to Genosha, a place from ... a ninties X-book. Why?

And Krakoa coincidentally is named after a volcano in Indonesia called Krakatoa. Isn't life just full of these little coincidences....

Ricky said:
and the story doesn't feel even remotely like its set in any real modern African country.

Its not meant to. Its set in a fictional place Marvel has created somewhere out of the way so that massive events and their "realism" isn't detracted from by the lack of pages detailing its affects on the rest of the world. Its hard to try and set a developed country just off the side of the united states and have it not directly affect the united states and thus lack when, in reality, the united states isn't doing anything because its not real. If you just dump it off the coast of Africa, its a lot more convenient but also allows people to grasp a frame of reference.

icemastertron said:
I like it, as it's a great little twist on Charle's charatcer, that really doesn't hurt him. But I DON'T want this to go on forever.

Well, I thought it was supposed to have been taken care of at the end of Millar's run, however, Millar merely said that he was in an interview; there was no indication in the title, anyway. I mean, Beast and Storm got back together and that whole thing should have sent lights flashing saying he wasn't doing anything to their heads... Who knows. This is showing how dumb it is because, unless Xavier says something about it, it will go on and on.

Goodwill said:
Well, I thought it was supposed to have been taken care of at the end of Millar's run, however, Millar merely said that he was in an interview; there was no indication in the title, anyway. I mean, Beast and Storm got back together and that whole thing should have sent lights flashing saying he wasn't doing anything to their heads... Who knows. This is showing how dumb it is because, unless Xavier says something about it, it will go on and on.

No, that shows how annoying and infuriating it is of writers to leave plot danglers that will never get cleared up.

Latest posts

Back