The Music Thread : It's So Easy To Fly Through A Window

You do realize that Michael Jackson gave himself that name in the same point in his career that Kayne West is?

Yeah. He made it up. No one ever argued with him, it's just the title he made up and no one can really take it away from him.

I strongly disagree with this

I didn't name him the King of Rock N' Roll. It's just a title that's always stuck with him. The general public will tell you that he's the King. I don't even like his music, but I still acknowledge him as the King of Rock N' Roll, because that's his title. Same with Michael Jackson (even though I like Michael Jackson's music). So maybe the "King of Rock N' Roll" or "King of Pop" aren't official titles, but they belong to Elvis and Michael Jackson (respectively) and they weren't made for someone to just claim as their own later on. It's just even more disrespectful now that Michael Jackson is dead. Kanye can call himself King of Hip Hop or King of **** for all I care, but if he had any respect for the music business whatsoever, he wouldn't touch the Pop title. It's just not cool.

Will.i.am should beat the **** out of Kanye.

Last edited:
Oh, who gives a ****. There are people who've contributed far more to pop music or rock 'n' roll then Elvis or Michael Jackson, they were just self-centered enough to make up silly titles for themselves to promote their own legend. Kanye West calling himself the new king of pop is douchetastic and self-centered, but so was Michael Jackson calling himself that in the first place.

(And apparently, Kanye claims he never said that.)

You do realize that Michael Jackson gave himself that name in the same point in his career that Kayne West is?
Still he wasn't as much as a douche as west, he's also was able to back the title up
Yeah. He made it up. No one ever argued with him, it's just the title he made up and no one can really take it away from him.
Oh, who gives a ****. There are people who've contributed far more to pop music or rock 'n' roll then Elvis or Michael Jackson, they were just self-centered enough to make up silly titles for themselves to promote their own legend. Kanye West calling himself the new king of pop is douchetastic and self-centered, but so was Michael Jackson calling himself that in the first place.

(And apparently, Kanye claims he never said that.)

Michael Jackson didn't make up the name "King of Pop", claim he was, popularize it, etc. Elizabeth Taylor coined it in a speech when she was presenting him the BMA's Artist of the Decade award in 1989. The name caught on in the public from that and it was several years before his record label or publicists ever used it.

It's still a term that he fully embraced and wanted the media to use to describe him. It's not very unreasonable to assume that he wasn't the most humble guy...

[youtube]Ko-4n2bH3u8[/youtube]

And as I said, it's all unbelievably silly. Who cares who decides that they're the 'king of pop', what does it even matter.

I wasn't trying to start some debate of opinions on the size of Michael Jackson's ego. A bunch of you said "Michael Jackson made up/gave himself the name The King Of Pop", which was false so I posted the facts of where it actually came from.

If you want to get into this....

It's still a term that he fully embraced and wanted the media to use to describe him.

Yeah, after somebody else came up with it and millions and millions of people called him it in every different level of media for years. At which point he integrated it into the marketing for one of his new albums.

This is how showbiz works. The public felt name fit, so it caught on. The prestige was barely relevant. If Liz Taylor had called him "The Silver-Shoed Spectre" and it caught on, he(or actually, his publicists) would've done the same thing.

It's not very unreasonable to assume that he wasn't the most humble guy....

[youtube]Ko-4n2bH3u8[/youtube]

Your evidence for someone being is not-humble is an acceptance speech almost entirely consisting of the performer thanking other people and praising other musicians?

Nevermind that nobody ever said he was the most humble guy. It's just not the same thing as being a "douchetastic" egomaniac who "made up" his own title and demanded people call him it.

And is it really that bad for him to have mistakingly called it the "Artist of the Millenium" award after decades of receiving awards with names just like that every time he turned around?

And as I said, it's all unbelievably silly. Who cares who decides that they're the 'king of pop', what does it even matter.

Personally, the part that matters isn't some popular opinion title, it's the idea of an artist stealing somebody's very well-known moniker for themself a month after the owner died. Imagine how pissed you'd be if David Bowie died and Justin Timberlake decided he was now "The Thin White Duke". Dick move.

I suppose my original point was just that people were talking in this thread like "king of pop" is some type of official title that's given out through a worldwide election or some kind of magical ray of light from god to mark the chosen one. It's not as if Kanye West (if any of this had actually happened) defecated on Micheal Jackson's corpse. It was a funny story as far as I'm concerned, because it was a dick move, but it's not like it's anything to get intensely outraged about. I'd like to think I'd be able to react that way over a month after Bowie died in your hypothetical situation, since Justin Timberlake calling himself The Thin White Duke would be undoubtedly hilarious.

Last edited:
I suppose my original point was just that people were talking in this thread like "king of pop" is some type of official title that's given out through a worldwide election or some kind of magical ray of light from god to mark the chosen one. It's not as if Kanye West (if any of this had actually happened) defecated on Micheal Jackson's corpse. It was a funny story as far as I'm concerned, because it was a dick move, but it's not like it's anything to get intensely outraged about. I'd like to think I'd be able to react that way over a month after Bowie died in your hypothetical situation, since Justin Timberlake calling himself The Thin White Duke would be undoubtedly hilarious.

It wasn't given out by an official election, but it was something that was embraced by tens of millions, so I can definitely see why one guy just taking it on himself would be so damn disgusting.

And heck, if it was the late-80s/early-90s, and the title had never been given out or associated with anyone before, and the U.N., just for fun, decided to create the token title of "King of Pop" and held a worldwide public vote..... honestly, who would've won? Who would have more votes than any other five nominees? It might as well have been his official title.:)

Last edited:
It wasn't given out by an official election, but it was something that was embraced by tens of millions, so I can definitely see why one guy just taking it on himself would be so damn disgusting.

And heck, if it was the late-80s/early-90s, and the title had never been given out or associated with anyone before, and the U.N., just for fun, decided to create the token title of "King of Pop" and held a worldwide public vote..... honestly, who would've won? Who would have more votes than any other five nominees?
[youtube]lgqY5F67ja0[/youtube]

Well, technically, they'd be the kings.

Last edited:
Dan Deacon + Deerhunter + No Age = No Deachunter:

[youtube]To2KaIB3gps[/youtube]

[youtube]-mgGKUWTC_w[/youtube]

[youtube]4K2M1aJp1Io[/youtube]

I was thinking about going to their Chicago show this Sunday but I waited too long to decide and the tickets sold out. :( These videos will have to comfort me.

It should be noted that Dan Deacon and Bradford Cox from Deerhunter look like they'd be an excellent comedy duo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back