The Music Thread : It's So Easy To Fly Through A Window

It actually did originate at least in part from that song. And I am very excited to listen to In Utero 20th anniversary. It's definitely one of the greats.

For the past few days I have been trying to nail down my top 15-20 favorite albums ever. It is possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. Here is what I have so far:

The Shins- Chutes Too Narrow
Death Cab For Cutie- Transatlanticism
Sufjan Stevens- Illinoise!
The Postal Service- Give up
Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Modest Mouse- Good News for People Who Love Bad News
Blue Scholars- Blue Scholars
Chapterhouse- Whirlpool
The Streets- Original Pirate Material
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
Asobi Seksu- Citrus
Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Nirvana- MTV Unplugged

There are several other albums that I am still debating though, from Frank Ocean to The Pains of Being Pure At Heart.

Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

These are top 5, for sure.

Mine, in no particular order because it changes all the time:

The Kinks - Arthur
The Beatles - The White Album
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
The Kinks - The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
The Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies
Ween - The Mollusk
TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
Nirvana - In Utero
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
George Harrison - Dark Horse
The Beatles - Abbey Road
Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)
Pearl Jam - Vs.

I'm going to see the Pixies in Detroit in February. Pretty geeked.

Arcade Fire's Reflektor finalyl leaked. I've been having dreams the last 2 nights about it leaking and getting the leak.

It's amazing. I love it.

If you look for it be careful because one of the rips is pretty crappy quality. It's listenable but it's muffled and a little distorted.

Reflektor is the only thing I've been listening to. I really, really love it.

In fact, the only other thing I have listened to is a couple songs off Lulu by Lou Reed and Metallica so I could remember how terrible it is.

RIP Lou Reed I guess.

Going to see Arcade Fire in Detroit in March.

Pixies in February, Arcade Fire in March.

I'm excited.

Daft Punk with Stevie Wonder at the Grammys was phenomenal.

Most of the rest of it wasn't, except for Lindsey Buckingham, Dave Grohl, & Josh Homme with Trent Reznor.

I am glad Macklemore didn't win Album of the Year, though.

As a huge Arcade Fire fan (and a pretty decent fan of LCD Soundsystem), I was actually pretty disappointed in Reflektor.

:( But it breaks my heart that you're seeing the Pixies and I'm not.

I've been listening to Juana Molina's new album all the time. It's so good.

As a huge Arcade Fire fan (and a pretty decent fan of LCD Soundsystem), I was actually pretty disappointed in Reflektor.

I don't love it quite as much as The Suburbs but that's hardly indicative of how good Reflektor is. I really, really love Reflektor.

:( But it breaks my heart that you're seeing the Pixies and I'm not.

I can't believe I get to see them. I wish Kim Deal was still with them but I'll still take it.

I don't love it quite as much as The Suburbs but that's hardly indicative of how good Reflektor is. I really, really love Reflektor.

Really? See, Suburbs is my least favorite of their first three, but it's still really good. I need to give Reflektor a new chance.

The new Avey Tare and Future Islands are both fantastic.

So.... Did anyone get anything good for Record Store Day? I missed it this year, but a friend picked up the Gil Scott-Heron exclusive release for me. I'm so excited.

I didn't get anything on Record Store Day. I'd rather just get something I'm interested in on eBay rather than have to wait in lines going halfway down the block at some ridiculously early hour. Although I kind of wish I had for the Kinks stuff that came out a year or two ago.

I didn't get anything on Record Store Day. I'd rather just get something I'm interested in on eBay rather than have to wait in lines going halfway down the block at some ridiculously early hour. Although I kind of wish I had for the Kinks stuff that came out a year or two ago.

Well, a lot of them are going for ridiculous prices on EBay now, but I'd imagine once the excitement dies down, those listings will mellow out.

One of my all time favorite albums was reissued this week in a 5-disc deluxe edition - Superunknown by Soundgarden. It's got a bunch of rehearsals, demos, and b-sides, and a 5.1 mix that I can't listen to because I don't have a way to (with headphones anyway).

But it also comes with this download code for the album remixed in 11.1 (!!!). The sound is incredible. It lets you flip back and forth between 11.1 and regular stereo and it's like night and day; like mono and stereo.

I've become disgusted with stereo. This is 2014. What are we, cavemen?

One of my all time favorite albums was reissued this week in a 5-disc deluxe edition - Superunknown by Soundgarden. It's got a bunch of rehearsals, demos, and b-sides, and a 5.1 mix that I can't listen to because I don't have a way to (with headphones anyway). But it also comes with this download code for the album remixed in 11.1 (!!!). The sound is incredible. It lets you flip back and forth between 11.1 and regular stereo and it's like night and day; like mono and stereo.

I'll have to look for this. Love Soundgarden.

I've become disgusted with stereo. This is 2014. What are we, cavemen?

Lol

I'll have to look for this. Love Soundgarden.

I think it's around $100 on Amazon. I had it preordered and got it for about $75.

It's bound in this beautiful book with a few essays and notes and lyrics. It has a lenticular cover of the screaming elf and it's really, really nice looking.

I've really been into Tool lately. Lateralus, specifically, which is probably a top 10 favorite for me now. Aenima is also great. I love the wide range or styles on Lateralus but the individual songs on Aenima are incredible, specifically Aenima.

The new Death From Above 1979 album 'The Physical World' leaked and it is GREAT.

I also discovered an EP release by a band called White Reaper that I really love.

Other music I've been into lately:

The Breeders - LSXX
The Cult - Electric
The Afghan Whigs - Do To The Beast
Gallon Drunk - The Soul Of The Hour
Wolfmother - New Crown

Also I just kind of discovered Animal Collective. I can't really get into the older stuff but Strawberry Jam, Merriweather Post Pavilion, and especially Centipede Hz are all great.

I like music.

Latest posts

Back