The new TPB/HC thread

The Ultimates and Watchmen are must buys. Get them before you get anymore USM.

I am so glad to see TOG has the Avengers Disassembled HC, because how I feel much less douche-y.

I am so glad to see TOG has the Avengers Disassembled HC, because how I feel much less douche-y.

There's not much he doesn't have.

Especially if you ever were to have children running around the house.

Perfect choice for a coffee table book, really.

That is the biggest book of pr0n I've ever seen.

Totally. I didn't even read it. I just flipped through it to see how outrageous it was. And actually I didn't even flip through the whole thing, because I was afraid I'd get arrested.

Those British magicians and their high-concept erotica.

Totally. I didn't even read it. I just flipped through it to see how outrageous it was. And actually I didn't even flip through the whole thing, because I was afraid I'd get arrested.

One of the funniest scenes is a girl bending out a window waving goodbye to her husband, while she's getting done from behind by a guy, who is getting screwed by another guy, who is getting screwed by a woman with a strap on.

Last edited:
MARVEL:

Wolverine: Origin
Wolverine: Weapon X
X-Men: Movie Adaptation
Spider-Man 1&2: Movie Adaptations
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2: Learning Curve
The Ultimates Vol. 1: Super-Human

DC:

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. I
Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. II
World Without a Superman
The Return of Superman
Superman: Birthright
Superman: Red Son
Superman for all seasons
Superman in the Fifties
Superman: Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?
Superman-Vs-Lex Luthor
Superman: SHOWCASE Vol. 2
Justice League of America: SHOWCASE Vol. 1

Batman: Year One
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Strange Apparitions
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: A Death in The Family
Robin: A Hero Reborn
The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
Batman Begins: The Movie Adaptation and Other Tales of the Dark Knight

IMAGE:

INVINCIBLE Vol. 1: Family Matters
INVINCIBLE Vol. 2: Eight Is Enough
INVINCIBLE Vol. 3: Perfect Strangers
INVINCIBLE Vol. 4: Head of the Class
INVINCIBLE Vol. 5: The Facts of Life
INVINCIBLE Vol. 6: A Different World
INVINCIBLE Vol. 7: Three's Company

Basically, from reading The Ultimates, I've concluded that Captain America is one of the coolest, most kickass superheroes ever and essentially everything I've ever liked about the Golden Age Superman, minus the embarassing fluctuations of superhuman strength (one minute Superman would be clocking mobsters with powerful right hooks, the next minute he'd be stopping trains with great ease). I can't believe how long I've been neglecting him. I guess I always thought him to be a bit of a lame hero, especially when his powers are pretty tame compared to everyone else's.
But everything in the first couple of pages, from "He thinks parachutes are for girls," to the almighty battle cry of "What are you waiting for, ladies? CHRISTMAS?!" I realised the error of my ways (I actually laughed in disbelief at how cool he was for a solid minute when he said that last one).

The rest of the book was quite good. Nick Fury was Sam Jackson (ergo=predictably ****cool), Tony was enjoyable as a pompous *** with a heart of gold, Thor was an interesting hippy, and Giant Man and Wasp brought hostility and a feeling of unease to the story, that served to further distance it from the general consensus that comic book superheroes are black and white. Did I have problems with it? Well, yeah. After all is said and done, the story is riddled with puns, throughout and eventually it starts getting hampered by them. I also just plain didn't like Bruce Banner in the story. Didn't find him interesting, was confused by how and why he turned into the Hulk and wasn't too bothered with him when he did. Oh well.

I give the story 8/10. I'd give it 7, only that Captain America was really that cool.

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 was definitely a cut above the first volume, even though once again, it just seemed more like a modern intrepretation (with Peter and friends saying and doing the things that kids would say and do today rather than the things they would say and do in the sixties) rather than an interesting new approach
(the web-designer thing was the only major change)
. That said,
Spidey's final battle with Kingpin was one of the coolest Spidey battles I've ever seen and EXACTLY what I would have done in that situation. That's the kind of thing that Tobey Maguire couldn't pull off.

I also bought JLA: SHOWCASE Vol. 1 for the fun of it. It really doesn't have the same kick as the Silver Age Superman stories, because it's basically all action with more emphasis on problem solving through intelligent use of powers and environment than the zany dialogue and weird imagination that you'd expect to find in a silver age story. Also, it's really weird, but Batman and Superman barely ever seem to appear in the stories. Maybe the writers were worried that they'd be overexposed or something, I don't know, but they're barely in it. Martian Manhunter almost acts as a replacement Superman, as he pretty much has all of Superman's powers (Flight, Martian Strength and Speed, Martian Vision, Martian Super-Breath). Weird or what?

The Return of Superman is awesome. I never really liked the concept of four different Supermen, all claiming to be the original and all that, but the story's really turned me around and it actually got me thinking that that's probably what would happen if someone that famous and iconic died (look at Elvis). So in a weird, roundabout way, it's actually quite a realistic story in terms of the reactions people would have in such a situation. But John Igdanove's art in some of the issues in the trade is just plain woeful. A lot of the time when I'm reading a comic with lacklustre art, I think "Well, it's pretty bad, but I can't say much. I'd still love to be as good as that,". In this case, I just look at it and think, "Blech. I hope I'm never that bad."

Last edited:
I just bought the first edition of the Invincible library. 24 issues in one sitting. This book kicks ***. The way the plotlines are introduced, developed and tie into one another... brilliant.

I just bought the first edition of the Invincible library. 24 issues in one sitting. This book kicks ***. The way the plotlines are introduced, developed and tie into one another... brilliant.

I wish I'd bought that one instead of the trades. You're pretty much stuck with the format you start with unless you want your issues to overlap. The only problem with the library is that the next one isn't out yet. But yeah, as the tagline says, Invincible is quite probably the best superhero comic in the universe.

Last edited:
Wimp.

At least your son can read it and it won't be considered pedophilia.

I just ordered:

Planetary Vol. 2
Fables Vol. 1
Fables Vol. 2
Y: The Last Man Vol. 3
Y: The Last Man Vol. 4
Green Lantern: Rebirth
Fantastic Four: Franklin Richards - Lab Brat
X-Men: First Class (First mini)

And with my Amazon.com Visa Card, instead of costing me $86.02, it will cost $56.02 instead. w00t!

Latest posts

Back