The Shipping Update Whining Thread

In the case of the delayed trades, E, we're talking about older material. So there is more to it than just copying the book and reshipping it. Marvel, pre-trade boom, had sparce masters for many of there pre-90s materials, so they havew to not only copy it but remaster it based on printed products. We're talking recoloring, redrawing in some cases [based on poor copies], and then making primarily newsprint comics into a digital product to be used as template for the book. It's a pretty time consuming ordeal, considering many of the reconstruction artists are trying to to emulate what the book should have looked like before the crappy newsprint printing messed with linework and coloring.

Having said that, a delay is a delay, so either marvel has had trouble getting the specs or it's taking the artists a longer time than imagined to reconstruct.

If that is the case, you just answered a few questions I had about the reprinting process for older books. Thanks.

I'd actually like to see a Cup o' Joe article or something like that on the whole process.

That said, I still don't buy it. Not for most of the volumes anyway. We're talking about collections of books that have been in reprint for years now, particularly those done in the Masterworks series.

If that is the case, you just answered a few questions I had about the reprinting process for older books. Thanks.

I'd actually like to see a Cup o' Joe article or something like that on the whole process.

That said, I still don't buy it. Not for most of the volumes anyway. We're talking about collections of books that have been in reprint for years now, particularly those done in the Masterworks series.

Most of the delayed books seem to be of material that hasn't been been reprinted before [ie. Goldern Age material, Secret Wars II, and a lot of the Captain Britain stuff],

The Proteus book has been masterworked before [Vol. 4 of Uncanny X-Men masterworks], but in the last few years, the masterworks program has been getting an overhaul. Marvel has been going forward with back to press editions of their books which have been attempting to correct poor reconstruction. Usuaslly this doesn't happen until a book is out of stock and currently that X-men masterworks is still selling its first printing. I would assume that they are taking this reprint to restore the book to the quality to recent masterworks have been in.

As to the Spider-Man Noir book and Halo one, who knows? I have no idea what the hell happened with the Halo book to begin with, and they do have the files for Spidey noir.

Next time David Gabriel is available, I'll see if I can't front your question about a comprehensive look at collections and the differant departments.

The Halo book is being delayed because the mini still hasnt finished and that keeps getting delayed, too. I think #3 Or 4 JUST came out after numerous delays. Or not. I know I saw a Halo issue at my comic shop last week that came with the new batch of comics.

Last edited:
Stupid Marvel Apes: Prime Eights is delayed, possibly indefinitely. It says it is to be included in the trade coming out in September, but who knows.

This hasn't had a post in over 3 years. DC runs like clockwork now and if anything marvel puts out too many issues.

Its weird looking back...

This hasn't had a post in over 3 years. DC runs like clockwork now and if anything marvel puts out too many issues.

Its weird looking back...

Yeah, no reason for this to be stickied any more.

I like that DC has been able to foresee when shipping might be a problem and address it with fill in stories or art before it can become a problem. Too bad the books weren't very good.

Latest posts

Back