Spider-Man The state of 616 Spider-Man (Spoilers)

skotti-chan said:
Okay, I gotta ask, why is Spidey getting new more spiderlike powers bad, especially, organic webbing/spinnerettes?

What species of spider has "stingers" in their legs? Since when does spider webbing give off any kind of vibratory signal?

skotti-chan said:
No offence, but seriously, I find the mechanical web shooters LESS believable.

He doesn't have mechanical web shooters anymore.

skotti-chan said:
It also kills me that people are hating the Iron Spider costume, but love the Scarlet Spider costume, c'mon guys, you can't tell me that the Iron Spider isn't similar in design than a sweatshirtless Scarlet Spider.

I don't like the Scarlet Spider costume, but at least it's not an Iron Man suit. Huge difference.

Yeah, it's not fair to bash the costume in certain ways. It's not 50 years old, like the red and blues. It's the new kid.

I'm not a fan of the three legs, but I don't mind the costume.

In fact, the only costume I never liked was Homeless Ben Reilly's costume with the 'half-boot'.

You know, I've been thinking about Peter having everything in his forearms for awhile now, so I completely agreed when they said "Like Spidey doesn't have enough junk in his forearms." Seriously, he's got spinnerets, web-producing glands, AND those foot long Wolverines. Does he have a can opener in there, too?

I think he took the news of stingers coming out of his forearms pretty damn well.

"Hmm, the dubious nature of these stingers notwithstanding, I do feel as if they may double as both a suitable metaphor for my evolution and subsequently as a new keen way to give my foes a proper thrashing. Spider-Man, HO!"

skotti-chan said:
Okay, I gotta ask, why is Spidey getting new more spiderlike powers bad, especially, organic webbing/spinnerettes? No offence, but seriously, I find the mechanical web shooters LESS believable. Though I agree, the claw/spike/thigies aren't that cool, I mean honestly, I've yet to find a spider with them in nature.

It also kills me that people are hating the Iron Spider costume, but love the Scarlet Spider costume, c'mon guys, you can't tell me that the Iron Spider isn't similar in design than a sweatshirtless Scarlet Spider.
The thing about the web shooters was there is no need to change it. You pic one idea and stay with it. For example if Ultimate Spidey had organic webs to begin with, I'd and most peope would be fine, but to suddenly change it is just dumb.

And at least nthe Ben Reilly kept the same color scheme and didn't have abunch of features Spidey has needed and are just pointless, though I agree we should give it a chance. Its starting to grow on me.

UltimateE said:
What species of spider has "stingers" in their legs? Since when does spider webbing give off any kind of vibratory signal?
Actually Spiders can sense vibrations in the web so they know that some prey was captured.

But these upgrades are completely and utterly pointless and dumb. Spidey got his powers by an irradiated spider end of story. And that's worked for the last 40+ years, there's ABSOLUTELY no need to add more crap. nIts all just stupid and I really hoped they just forget about it at some point.

I really wished House of M would take care of crap like this that the fans hate. Like has the backlash of Wanda's powers create some reversals? Taking away Spidey's organic webs, Beast cat like form, and other crappy ideas. Like Crisis on Infinite Earth Style.

UltimateE said:

He doesn't have mechanical web shooters anymore.

I don't like the Scarlet Spider costume, but at least it's not an Iron Man suit. Huge difference.

Y'know....if you had used ALL of what I'd said, you would have noticed I SAID THE SAME DAMN THING.

skotti-chan said:
Okay, I gotta ask, why is Spidey getting new more spiderlike powers bad, especially, organic webbing/spinnerettes? No offence, but seriously, I find the mechanical web shooters LESS believable.
I agree with Random here, it wasn't bad, but unnecesary. It worked for forty years and there was no need to change it now.

Okay, my question is this, people complain that characters evolve and change, and others complain about the continual rehashing of ideas and stories, what'll make you people happy? Reboots every 10 years, so we can retell the same stories but more "edgy" or "contemporary". I mean seriously, I've been through lean times, I've been reading comics longer than ALOT of you people have been alive. Things change, and we're FINALLY getting people who're willing to make the changes, and people say that something has "worked for 40 years", yes, the status quo HAS worked, to a point. As much as it pains me, I have to admit there are times I whine about changes, but then I realize that if handled right, they can add much to the stories or characters involved. I honestly admit, I'm not a fan of Spidey, but I kinda grooved to The Others, because it was nice to see Peter face some challenges outside his usual angst. I know this isn't the first time they've messed with his powers, but for god's sake, most of these changes (BUT NOT THE STINGERS, make sure you read that this time E) are really cool. It's nice to see him become more of the spider he should be. I mean for god's sake, his ONLY real spider powers for the last 40 years were, strength, agility and his magical static cling!!!

If change bothers you so much, then vote with your wallet. I'm not attempting to stop the whining and *****ing, that's what makes us geeks. That and the sanctimonious "OH I could write/draw something better" thoughts that have passed through our heads at least 50 times. I'm just saying, let's give this a little bit of a chance.

Oh and PS: These changes have been explained ALOT better than I'd expected anyway. I mean seriously, I could understand Peter's fear of being a monster and doing his damnedest to supress his powers to something "normal and acceptable", I sure would.

Last edited:
Doc-

One more time with your JQP comments, and not only will you be saying about him being banned, you'll join him too.

Korithian, just ignore him.

Beast being cat-like was awesome. One of the better things of Morrison's work.

Random said:
Actually Spiders can sense vibrations in the web so they know that some prey was captured.

But the web doesn't give off any kind of signal. The spider senses the vibrations on the surface because the thing touching it is moving. Just like if you are standing by a train track when a train is going by you can feel it in the ground - but not because the ground is creating vibrations. The vibrations are created by the moving object and travel through the surface.

They are saying that Spidey's webs are giving off signals - spider webs don't do that. STUPID.

UltimateE said:
But the web doesn't give off any kind of signal. The spider senses the vibrations on the surface because the thing touching it is moving. Just like if you are standing by a train track when a train is going by you can feel it in the ground - but not because the ground is creating vibrations. The vibrations are created by the moving object and travel through the surface.

They are saying that Spidey's webs are giving off signals - spider webs don't do that. STUPID.
Yes that is stupid.

I don't mind what they were trying to do with the Other story, I like the idea of having Spidey face death like that, but I think they really dropped the ball. But the after effects were jsut dumb, He doesn't need a strength increase or any new powers. What he needs is good stories, everything else was fine. and its like to suddenly get organic webs that worked just like his mechanical one, is just lame.

No one complained about his powers or limitations. They were just fine as is, they should of left that alone.

And what I really hate about the Beast cat thing, is that it makes no sense, first he had more of a gorrilla type of body, then out of nowhere this cat thing came. Beast's mutantion was just fine and there's no point in changing that.

skotti-chan said:
Okay, my question is this, people complain that characters evolve and change, and others complain about the continual rehashing of ideas and stories, what'll make you people happy?

Good stories.

Change a status quo, retell it, play within it - they can all produce stories of excellence.

The Other is not a good story. Therefore, the fruit its borne in the Spider-Man mythos (powers, costume) will all be tainted, and the new 'direction' of Spider-Man would be one people want to avoid.

If the story of Spider-Man's new costume was as powerful as his origin story, people would be applauding it.

All an audience wants is a good story.

theegreatone said:
It is growing on me.
Ew.
Doc Comic said:
God, you're hot.
Bad Doc Comic! Get off of skotti-chan's leg.
Random said:
And what I really hate about the Beast cat thing, is that it makes no sense, first he had more of a gorrilla type of body, then out of nowhere this cat thing came. Beast's mutantion was just fine and there's no point in changing that.
I don't know if they're was a point in changing it, but I thought is was much better than his old look. His look matched his personality a bit better. Sophistacated Lion. I liked it.

Latest posts

Back