Spider-Man The state of 616 Spider-Man (Spoilers)

skotti-chan said:
Okay, my question is this, people complain that characters evolve and change, and others complain about the continual rehashing of ideas and stories, what'll make you people happy? Reboots every 10 years, so we can retell the same stories but more "edgy" or "contemporary". I mean seriously, I've been through lean times, I've been reading comics longer than ALOT of you people have been alive. Things change, and we're FINALLY getting people who're willing to make the changes, and people say that something has "worked for 40 years", yes, the status quo HAS worked, to a point. As much as it pains me, I have to admit there are times I whine about changes, but then I realize that if handled right, they can add much to the stories or characters involved. I honestly admit, I'm not a fan of Spidey, but I kinda grooved to The Others, because it was nice to see Peter face some challenges outside his usual angst. I know this isn't the first time they've messed with his powers, but for god's sake, most of these changes (BUT NOT THE STINGERS, make sure you read that this time E) are really cool. It's nice to see him become more of the spider he should be. I mean for god's sake, his ONLY real spider powers for the last 40 years were, strength, agility and his magical static cling!!!

If change bothers you so much, then vote with your wallet. I'm not attempting to stop the whining and *****ing, that's what makes us geeks. That and the sanctimonious "OH I could write/draw something better" thoughts that have passed through our heads at least 50 times. I'm just saying, let's give this a little bit of a chance.

Oh and PS: These changes have been explained ALOT better than I'd expected anyway. I mean seriously, I could understand Peter's fear of being a monster and doing his damnedest to supress his powers to something "normal and acceptable", I sure would.

I feel the same way. I don't want to read the same crap over and over. It's like the movies. Every complains it wasn't like that in the comic. It is a cool costume. But to change the origin is pointless. It's like saying Captain America didn't get his powers though the serum but that he was a mutant and the serum activated his x-gene.

Bass said:
Good stories.

Change a status quo, retell it, play within it - they can all produce stories of excellence.

The Other is not a good story. Therefore, the fruit its borne in the Spider-Man mythos (powers, costume) will all be tainted, and the new 'direction' of Spider-Man would be one people want to avoid.

If the story of Spider-Man's new costume was as powerful as his origin story, people would be applauding it.

All an audience wants is a good story.

Exactly. But if you make the changes stay with them. People are going to ***** about it just cause they can. People still ***** about the New Avengers. People ***** about Morrison's X-men. That he changed them too much. But both are one of the best comics out there. I mean if internet messages boards excisted decaded ago, we would have people ***** about Daredevil switching from yellow to red. Or that two brotherhood of evil mutants join the Avengers. I want changes that make sense and stick, but not at the expense of a great story.

Last edited:
thee great one said:
Exactly. But if you make the changes stay with them. People are going to ***** about it just cause they can. People still ***** about the New Avengers. People ***** about Morrison's X-men. That he changed them too much. But both are one of the best comics out there. I mean if internet messages boards excisted decaded ago, we would have people ***** about Daredevil switching from yellow to red. Or that two brotherhood of evil mutants join the Avengers. I want changes that make sense and stick, but not at the expense of a great story.
I don't mind a change in rosters or a change in personality (with reasonable cause). But changing powers just seems dumb. Like Superman getting electrical powers. Its just completely pointless and dumb

moonmaster said:
I don't know if they're was a point in changing it, but I thought is was much better than his old look. His look matched his personality a bit better. Sophistacated Lion. I liked it.
I thought the point was that he looked the opposite of his personality.

Now I just realized I dont mind the change of Beast when he became furry in the first place. That's because with that change came good character developements. What good stories are we getting with a suddenly cat like appears or organic webs and stingers?

thee great one said:
It's like saying Captain America didn't get his powers though the serum but that he was a mutant and the serum activated his x-gene.

They did that in Earth X.

It's better than it sounds.

No, REALLY.

Bass said:

They did that in Earth X.

It's better than it sounds.

No, REALLY.

It's better than that, it's genius.

icemastertron said:
In all honesty, that doesn't really bother me much.
I agree.
skotti-chan said:
Okay, my question is this, people complain that characters evolve and change, and others complain about the continual rehashing of ideas and stories, what'll make you people happy?
Bass said:
Good stories.
I agree with Bass. Any parts of a story can work, as long as the overall story is written well. "The Other" wasn't.

UltimateE said:
I don't like the Scarlet Spider costume, but at least it's not an Iron Man suit. Huge difference.

To me it seems like a logical direction to go in, he lives with Stark so why wouldn't he get upgrades to his costume? Also, I like the look and the new color scheme, and I want to see what thos legs can do.

I have officially decided that I would have much less of a problem if the Gold in the costume was white...

But what i'm guessing will happen is that Spidey is going to use this suit for big cosmic stuff, and Avengers missions, but not for your everyday swing around town....

Either that or he'll break it, and have tony design a suit closer to his original (as in, similar to the movie costume, or red and blue without black webbing)

Anyone have a website with all of the Spiderman costume variations??

Oh, and I had another thought...

THIS is why they let bendis kill Carnage.

:p They didn't want people to be able to think that this was Spider-Carnage rearing his butt ugly face again.

By the way... Why not just Iron-Manize the old Spider Pheonix outfit from Excalibur way back when?

CostumeSpiderPhoenix.gif

Last edited:
Dr.Strangefate said:
Anyone have a website with all of the Spiderman costume variations??

Oh, and I had another thought...

THIS is why they let bendis kill Carnage.

:p They didn't want people to be able to think that this was Spider-Carnage rearing his butt ugly face again.

By the way... Why not just Iron-Manize the old Spider Pheonix outfit from Excalibur way back when?

CostumeSpiderPhoenix.gif

The watcher posted all the costumes in the costume thread.

I'm generally okay with how the logo and colors are set up on the costume. Its the absurdity of those gold-plated boots and wristbands that bother me. It gives me nightmares of Spider-Prime: http://pages.topnotchcomics.com/528/PictPage/1922408290.html

skotti-chan said:
Okay, I gotta ask, why is Spidey getting new more spiderlike powers bad, especially, organic webbing/spinnerettes? No offence, but seriously, I find the mechanical web shooters LESS believable. Though I agree, the claw/spike/thigies aren't that cool, I mean honestly, I've yet to find a spider with them in nature.
Granted, I agree with you that the mechanical shooters aren't as believable (and I have my reasons for why Peter's 'inventive smarts' are not as essential to his character as most die-hard Spider-fans make it out to be).

For me the bigger issue is not whether or not this combination of armor and mutations is believable but rather the conceptual insanity of it all. It's like between the bone claws, the armor and the sensing of vibrations you can't figure out exactly which character they want Spider-Man to be, what kind of definable essence they're trying to represent.

Its like editorial is trying to shoe-horn in Wolverine's trauma-inducing appendages, Daredevil's sensory capabilities and Tony Stark's dependence on cybernetics to walk upright and stave off a heart injury all into one freaking character.

I agree with Bass as well, different can be good, but that doesn't make it a foregone conclusion. In that sense, CHANGING the status quo CAN be a good thing but it's not necessarily inherent in the change itself.

Latest posts

Back