• I am against the strike

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I am still on the fence

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I could not care less

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Re: The strike is on. The S is O!!

I'm just done here... I don't feel like arguing pointlessly.

I most certainly am not joking and have to say I take some offense to the notion that I'm being ridiculous.

I'm the same , I'm not joking about this at all.

You want to know what they are supposed to do? They shut up and do their job like they are supposed to. If your pay is unacceptable, you find another job. It's the same reason that people stop working at fast food restaurants and grocery stores in high school. If it doesn't support you, your family, and your lifestyle, you either leave or you position yourself to make more money. And again, stepping on other people to do so is not the answer.
So let me get this straight, if you spend so much time pursuing career in writing, you spend a lot of time and money getting good at it so you can make a career out of it. Then suddenly the AMPTP decides to cut your pay. Are you suppose to give up writing, the thing you spent you life working for? Because here's the thing, there's not another type of organization like the AMPTP they can go to. So according to your philosophy, It's either work dirt cheap for AMPTP, work dirt cheap an independent company, or start training for a completely different career. Because screen writing is not the same a book/magazine/newspaper writing. And guess what, if those 90% or writers in favor of the strike do just quit their jobs and find something else, it would have the same exact effect on all the other jobs of camera men, directors, stage crew with all the same not have work, except in a more permanent basis. Also anything threat would be produced would completely be crap. You think movies suck now, wait until all the good writers decided to quit to get another job.

That illustrated perfectly why I support the writers.

That's exactly how I feel. You people make no sense.

Do you think that these people, who are members of unions and have people elected to be their spokespeople are going to come out and say something? Of course not! Unions are loyal to a fault. The preservation of the union and it's basic ideals is more important than the people in the union, and that's why they are terrible. Nobody is going to risk their place in the union by coming out against them.

I most certainly am not joking and have to say I take some offense to the notion that I'm being ridiculous.

Maybe none of you know what it's like to have to support a family and not have a job. I do, and it was because of something a lot worse than a bunch of greedy people grubbing for just a little bit more.

You want to know what they are supposed to do? They shut up and do their job like they are supposed to. If your pay is unacceptable, you find another job. It's the same reason that people stop working at fast food restaurants and grocery stores in high school. If it doesn't support you, your family, and your lifestyle, you either leave or you position yourself to make more money. And again, stepping on other people to do so is not the answer.

Do the studio heads not bear just as much ire for not negotiating quickly? Or do you think what the writer's are asking for is unfair?

So let me get this straight, if you spend so much time pursuing career in writing, you spend a lot of time and money getting good at it so you can make a career out of it. Then suddenly the AMPTP decides to cut your pay. Are you suppose to give up writing, the thing you spent you life working for? Because here's the thing, there's not another type of organization like the AMPTP they can go to. So according to your philosophy, It's either work dirt cheap for AMPTP, work dirt cheap an independent company, or start training for a completely different career. Because screen writing is not the same a book/magazine/newspaper writing. And guess what, if those 90% or writers in favor of the strike do just quit their jobs and find something else, it would have the same exact effect on all the other jobs of camera men, directors, stage crew with all the same not have work, except in a more permanent basis. Also anything threat would be produced would completely be crap. You think movies suck now, wait until all the good writers decided to quit to get another job.

Some good points there. God...imagine all the reality TV.

*shudders*

Does anyone really want Garth Ennis (if he was only a tv writer) flipping your burgers?

no, because he gets ideas, the bad kind. An no one likes band aids in their ultimate cheeseburger.

Last edited:

Does anyone really want Garth Ennis (if he was only a tv writer) flipping your burgers?

no, because he gets ideas, the bad kind. An no one likes band aids in their ultimate cheeseburger.

I could see Ennis including something in a hamburger that wasn't easily pulled off like a band-aid. "Special sauce" for Ennis is a loaded term, you know?

I could see Ennis including something in a hamburger that wasn't easily pulled off like a band-aid. "Special sauce" for Ennis is a loaded term, you know?

Special Sauce? Man, I see Ennis bringing Special Patties in from home. The man wouldn't **** around with sauce.

So let me get this straight, if you spend so much time pursuing career in writing, you spend a lot of time and money getting good at it so you can make a career out of it. Then suddenly the AMPTP decides to cut your pay. Are you suppose to give up writing, the thing you spent you life working for?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

If you dedicate your life to something and people aren't willing to pay you what you think you're worth, then it should seem pretty clear that maybe that's not your calling in life. And if you insist it is, you toil until people recognize your greatness. I'm sure there are numerous writers that could name their price as far as royalties go.

Look at it in terms of sports. How many people dedicate their lives to playing football or baseball and never make it to play in college? How many get cut on the high school level.

The argument is kind of silly; what you're saying is that the studios are basically a bunch of *******s for not letting people pursue their dreams. Since when is it the studios' responsibility to fund people's dreams?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

If you dedicate your life to something and people aren't willing to pay you what you think you're worth, then it should seem pretty clear that maybe that's not your calling in life. And if you insist it is, you toil until people recognize your greatness. I'm sure there are numerous writers that could name their price as far as royalties go.

Look at it in terms of sports. How many people dedicate their lives to playing football or baseball and never make it to play in college? How many get cut on the high school level.

The argument is kind of silly; what you're saying is that the studios are basically a bunch of *******s for not letting people pursue their dreams. Since when is it the studios' responsibility to fund people's dreams?

The flaw in your argument is these people are already writers. Its completely different than someone who just doesn't make it.

The flaw in your argument is these people are already writers. Its completely different than someone who just doesn't make it.

The scale is different, but how is any different than someone who plays football all through grade school, makes it to the college level, and doesn't get drafted? Are they not already football players? In high school and college you can't just be a football player because you want to - you have to be good enough to make the team. Same idea.

The scale is different, but how is any different than someone who plays football all through grade school, makes it to the college level, and doesn't get drafted? Are they not already football players? In high school and college you can't just be a football player because you want to - you have to be good enough to make the team. Same idea.

If I may, I believe Lynx's point is that while certainly not all, but many of these writers are all already at the top of their game. They're already professional. They're already in the analogous equivalent of the Yankees or the Lakers, or what have you. And now, the MLB and the NBA are trying to decree that even the cream of the crop athletes on down will now be paid 10 dollars per game. Oh, but the sportscasters are still gonna get $2,000 per game. Same for the hot dog guy. And every time the athlete steps on a field in uniform the designer gets $100 per player.

And now, the MLB and the NBA are trying to decree that even the cream of the crop athletes on down will now be paid 10 dollars per game.

That's not quite what they are saying, but if you want to compare it that way...aren't the studios basically saying that ALL of the writers will be paid the same - even the ones that aren't that good or, more accurately, are turning in scripts that get poor ratings?

I don't think that's quite the argument though....negotiating royalty rates and actual salary are two different things, but I do see where you were going with that. It goes both ways though.

Just another way to prove that unions do not have the best interests of the union members at heart.

but they still get money and the video DSF said they still get 4 cents from a dvd. which may not seem like a lot when they say it like that.

But look a dvd sales for say Spider-man 3 , It sold over 130000 copies in one week. 130000 x $19.99 = $2598700 now lets get 4% and it's $103948 that is just the first week!

How the hell can you say $103948 is no money or pennies worth? seriously.

Last edited:

That's not quite what they are saying, but if you want to compare it that way...aren't the studios basically saying that ALL of the writers will be paid the same - even the ones that aren't that good or, more accurately, are turning in scripts that get poor ratings?

I don't think that's quite the argument though....negotiating royalty rates and actual salary are two different things, but I do see where you were going with that. It goes both ways though.

Just another way to prove that unions do not have the best interests of the union members at heart.

I think we're getting away from the main point.

A novelist will get royalties for an eBook, correct? They get royalties from both their hardcovers, their softcovers, and their ebooks. What makes television any different? If the TV shows appear online, why shouldn't they be payed for it? The actors are, the studios are. . .why not the writers?

but they still get money and the video DSF said they still get 4 cents from a dvd. which may not seem like a lot when they say it like that.

But look a dvd sales for say Spider-man 3 , It sold over 130000 copies in one week. 130000 x $19.99 = $2598700 now lets get 4% and it's $103948 that is just the first week!

4%? Where are you getting 4% from? It's 4 CENTS. They get $5200.

Last edited:

But look a dvd sales for say Spider-man 3 , It sold over 130000 copies in one day. 130000 x $19.99 = $2598700 now lets get 4% and it's $103948 that is just the first week!

I don't think we have any business saying that's enough or they should be happy with what they get, and if my argument is coming off that way maybe I'm not explaining it right. It's not my call what is "enough" for anyone. I've always said, and I will keep saying, that everyone has the right to pursue more money and a better way of life....BUT...

NOBODY has the right to step on someone else to better themselves. And that's exactly what they are doing by creating a situation where thousands of people are being put out of work.

You know what really bothers me is that knowing what unions were created for in the first place - to improve poor and dangerous work conditions and prevent slimy factory owners from taking advantage of people with families and forcing people to work 20 hour days (I'm exaggerating there but you get the point)...when it's a question of putting people in danger then that's totally different - you do what you have to do and if anyone else is caught in the crosshairs it becomes unfortunate...but COMPLETELY necessary. But this is a far, far cry from that.

NOBODY has the right to step on someone else to better themselves. And that's exactly what they are doing by creating a situation where thousands of people are being put out of work.

Well, then shouldn't you be mad at the studios for firing these people instead of just taking it from their own pockets? Producers and the studio executives are the ones driving around in the Porches and Ferraris. And, instead of giving a little of that up, they fire other people to make the writer's demands.

I think we're getting away from the main point.

A novelist will get royalties for an eBook, correct? They get royalties from both their hardcovers, their softcovers, and their ebooks. What makes television any different? If the TV shows appear online, why shouldn't they be payed for it? The actors are, the studios are. . .why not the writers?

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying they don't deserve the money. I'm not saying that they don't have the right to ask for it. What I'm saying is that they are stepping on people in order to do so, and they are directly putting thousands of people out of work completely.

Do you not see the hypocrisy there? Complaining that they are being treated unfairly by not being given a little bit bigger slice of the pie...but in turn creating a condition where thousands of other people are COMPLETELY put out of work and aren't earning ANYTHING?!

Latest posts

Back