Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I am still on the fence

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I could not care less

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Re: The strike is on

I agree with him.

In fact, it's what ALL of us do if you think about it.

I am a graphic designer. I get paid a wage, and my employer marks it up 400% and resells it. All of us do it. It's a fact of life. It doesn't matter if you're writing a TV show or flipping burgers.

And the writers can argue that there is more creative process than flipping burgers, but that really doesn't have anything to do with it. And is it that much more than me creating a web page? No.

Thank you , I'm glad someone got what I was on about dude an the way you put it is 100% right

That's not at all beside the point. In fact it brings up another excellent point. How many camera operators, costume designers, etc are going to be out of work - perhaps many of them unpaid - because of this?

Like I said - greed and shortsightedness. Only caring about themselves.

Another point , I had not even thought of costume designers and stuff and that is another reason this is just stupid.

I think it would be. It would be PAN'S LABYRINTH + WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

:lol: :lol:

I think it would be. It would be PAN'S LABYRINTH + WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.
*puts cigar in mouth and proceeds to do J.K. Simmons impersonation*

I love it! You get the kids and the sickos in the same theater!

Bass and Mole, talk to my secretary and you'll have a contract to sign first thing in the morning!

Let's do lunch!

Last edited:

Actually, South Park could be fairly safe since Trey and Matt do the majority of the work, but I don't know the details of their contract. In any case this season is probably already done.

Also, I believe that the fastest they ever did an episode was in 3 days.
I betting they are, because if they weren't they could possibly not get any benefits from writing, cause the studio would not have to.

I like how the anti-striking people keep seeing the writers as greedy, when really the studios that are the greedy ones taking advantage of new media and not budging on it. And I agree with Bass that Striking is a last resort and I'm would bet they exhausted all their resources before deciding this. They've definitely been negotiating the new contract for over a year and this is the only issue there's an argument over. Its really ridiculous that the studios won't budge on this. And all the money and jobs lost I would blame on them for being uncompromising *****es.

I like how the anti-striking people keep seeing the writers as greedy,

I didn't , I said they were stupid for do it , I said that they can't be very important if they can strike and I said the strike was for a dumb assed reason

I didn't mention greedy

I didn't , I said they were stupid for do it , I said that they can't be very important if they can strike and I said the strike was for a dumb assed reason

I didn't mention greedy

I had a long angry reply to this, but I've decided against it...

I didn't mention greedy
I don't think of it as a stupid reason at all, they are trying to defend benefits they rightfully should have. The last contract both parties agreed that writers should get so much money in post theater releases, but simply because the format of those post-releases changed in a way no one could have anticipated over 17 years ago, they are not getting the money they rightfully deserve. You kept saying "they get paid for the job the signed to do so they should shut the **** up" but they haven't been paid this percentage of money like they should. Image for a moment you made an agreement that you would writer a movie, get this much for the initial writing, this much for theater tickets, and this much for video cassettes. Now how many people by video cassettes any more? Now all that money they were making from that is gone. So now you are making less money, their income has been cut. essentially the studios took that percentage of videos for themselves. That is really unfair, and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are being complete douches taking advantage over writers because entertainment technology took a wrong turn. Trust me this is not a stupid reason, if something similar happened to you in a permanent career, I guarantee you would stand up to it (not nessecarily striking)

I don't think of it as a stupid reason at all, they are trying to defend benefits they rightfully should have. The last contract both parties agreed that writers should get so much money in post theater releases, but simply because the format of those post-releases changed in a way no one could have anticipated over 17 years ago, they are not getting the money they rightfully deserve. You kept saying "they get paid for the job the signed to do so they should shut the **** up" but they haven't been paid this percentage of money like they should. Image for a moment you made an agreement that you would writer a movie, get this much for the initial writing, this much for theater tickets, and this much for video cassettes. Now how many people by video cassettes any more? Now all that money they were making from that is gone. So now you are making less money, their income has been cut. essentially the studios took that percentage of videos for themselves. That is really unfair, and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are being complete douches taking advantage over writers because entertainment technology took a wrong turn. Trust me this is not a stupid reason, if something similar happened to you in a permanent career, I guarantee you would stand up to it (not nessecarily striking)

Zactly

I didn't mention greedy

That needs to be qualified, though. The greed isn't from wanting more of what they perceive to be their fair share. Everybody should always strive to do better and make more money.

However, the reason it is greed is because they are doing it at the expense of others. And you can tell me all you want that other unions are behind them - of course that's what they unions are going to say! Of course they are going to say they are united...if they weren't, they wouldn't be much of a union, would they?

Nobody should have to have their income, livelihood, etc. be affected by someone else in this way.

That needs to be qualified, though. The greed isn't from wanting more of what they perceive to be their fair share. Everybody should always strive to do better and make more money.

However, the reason it is greed is because they are doing it at the expense of others. And you can tell me all you want that other unions are behind them - of course that's what they unions are going to say! Of course they are going to say they are united...if they weren't, they wouldn't be much of a union, would they?

Nobody should have to have their income, livelihood, etc. be affected by someone else in this way.

That is true , Like I mentioned before I hadn't thought of the other peoples jobs been effected until you mentioned it but you are 100% right. It's selfish.

and from Ice's post does that mean it's over now?

Well, it's not like their own jobs aren't being affected. You gotta think of all the writers who just joined, maybe had just got attached to a new pilot and now it's all being sent to the back burner and they stand to lose the most out of this. Yet they still approve of the strike. Eventually it has to happen so it's either now or later.

It is a shame that others will not have a job for however long. But then, I'm still with the writers.

If they had a better way, I'm sure they'd have done it that way. It's not like their purposely doing this to screw everyone else.

It is a shame that others will not have a job for however long. But then, I'm still with the writers.

If they had a better way, I'm sure they'd have done it that way. It's not like their purposely doing this to screw everyone else.

That's the thing too. i was reading that there was a vote that if no other reasonable resolution could be agreed on, that the guild was allowed to call a strike which like 85 - 90% agreed that would be the case. I believe this was held months ago. So they were planning for it giving anyone that would be affected plenty of time to prepare.

And you can tell me all you want that other unions are behind them - of course that's what they unions are going to say! Of course they are going to say they are united...if they weren't, they wouldn't be much of a union, would they?

I don't mean the union representatives, i mean the members. The actual costume designers, and technicians, and teamsters you're talking about, who are members of other unions, are in support of the writers even if they are currently out of work as a result.

News in for people who think that the WGA is just being greedy and manipulative:

They've dropped the whole DVD issue, and now are focusing on permanent internet downloads...When you buy things off of iTunes or Amazon's UnBox, the writers don't get jack ****. That was the core idea of this entire fight.

Writers not getting paid for people buying stuff they've written. How dare they complain... I mean, they should just be happy for some reason that their contracts refuse to pay them for internet downloads. It's not like this is the money they're going to retire on or anything.

:roll:

ALSO:

Reality television isn't ending, they're going to be fast tracking a lot of shows with the costume designers, set designers, etc.

Last edited:

Writers not getting paid for people buying stuff they've written.

You mean they aren't getting paid more when people buy their work in a new format. They are most certainly getting paid for their work.

Latest posts

Back