• I am against the strike

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • I am still on the fence

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I could not care less

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Re: The strike is on

Still the same **** to me no offence. Imagine if all the doctors and police pulled this crap "Oh well now days there are new drugs and more terrorist attacks and more crime , we are going to strike till we get something out of it" It's stupid.

Actually, for police, it would be more like "I get benefits if I get shot by a regular bullet, but not a hollow point" That's the problem, and that would be a serious problem for the police officers and their families specially in high risk areas.

Actually the purpose of the strike is because writers should be getting benefits from new medias (dvds, internet, etc.) Like they do videos, The industry has taken advantage of the new wave of media. It's not a "we want more money" Its a "Define this as it should be and stop screwing us over."

Technically, they already are getting paid for DVDs. They are asking for more on that.

Technically, they already are getting paid for DVDs. They are asking for more on that.

I must of read wrong, either way I think writers should get what ever they want considering so many potential film gold and and great works of art get **** on by the studios

I must of read wrong, either way I think writers should get what ever they want considering so many potential film gold and and great works of art get **** on by the studios

Eh, I don't agree that they should get anything they want. I do agree that they should get money from internet broadcasts and they should get the extra 4 cents per DVD, but there should be limits.

Eh, I don't agree that they should get anything they want. I do agree that they should get money from internet broadcasts and they should get the extra 4 cents per DVD, but there should be limits.

Well I ****ing hate studios so that opinion is bias

Well I ****ing hate studios so that opinion is bias

Well, I definitely understand that bias, but I'm just showing a more practical viewpoint. We pretty much agree on the strike either way, though.

Last edited:

Okay... People are being so ****ing selfish about it, and that is pissing me off to no end. Writing TV and Movies is a career, people are trying to make a living out of it, and the studios have been ****ting on them for way too long.

I fully 100% support this. It needed to happen, and its been a long time coming.

Plus, maybe we'll get Heinberg to finish that next run of Young Avengers comics.

What he said.

Actually, for police, it would be more like "I get benefits if I get shot by a regular bullet, but not a hollow point" That's the problem, and that would be a serious problem for the police officers and their families specially in high risk areas.

That's exactly it, I think.

Also, Mole, the fault in your line of thinking is that everyone accepts the contracted deal they're offered because they think it's fair. It's not true. You take the contract because it's the only job available.

If you want to work in Hollywood as a writer, you are given the same contract they've been giving for years, and if you say no, you get no job and you're out on your ear. Sometimes you might be able to actually alter the contract through wheeling and dealing, but only in certain situations which are generally, not the norm. So you take the job and hope to get better benefits as your star rises.

Essentially - it's career promotion. You take a job at a low level, work at it, and hope for promotion later to more pay.

Striking, which is essentially not working to force the employers' profit-machine to shut down and stop earning, is generally a last-resort measure used to gain rights that are being denied - not to just get more money (though the two seem to go hand in hand).

In this case, the last time the WGA striked was in '88 which was 20 years ago and this strike is about new technology. When you consider the change in technology over those 20 years, it's no surprise this would come up.

The strike, in this case, isn't about getting a promotion they think they deserve, rather, it's that they should keep the same wage for the same job.

Writers have a system in place for how much money they earn on residuals and what not on videos, films, etc. But when those contracts were made, DVDs did not exist. So now that they do, studio executives are claiming that writers shouldn't get the exact same monetary compensation for DVDs that they've had for video.

Basically, someone went Ctrl+H and replaced "VHS" with "DVD" and they studio executives claimed they don't owe the writers any money.

This is what Random was saying - imagine if a policeman got shot, but received no compensation because he was hit by a hollow point bullet and his contract, which was made in 1901 doesn't give compensation to hollow points because they didn't exist.

I agree - striking is a sucky method with which to try and resolve these disputes; but honestly imagine you were a writer in this situation. You wrote MOLE'S WONDER PARK, a huge bestseller in the 15-25 year-old male audience. And you've been getting your residuals off it for 20 years. But now, no money is coming to you, yet the movie just came out in a new 3-disc DVD box set. You ask why you're not getting money and someone says, "Oh, your contract only stipulates video" and you realise your contract was made in 1981 and predates DVD by more than 10 years. It's a case of letter of the law defeating the spirit of the law - and what options do you have? No legal recourse, only a moral one. At the moment, that's striking, but honestly, if you can think of a better way to do it (and there should be one) best tell the WGA because I bet ****loads of people making TV still want to work.

Or something. I honestly am so burned out right now, I'm not sure I made any sense or am even accurate. What the hell "submit reply"

Also, Mole, the fault in your line of thinking is that everyone accepts the contracted deal they're offered because they think it's fair. It's not true. You take the contract because it's the only job available.

If you want to work in Hollywood as a writer, you are given the same contract they've been giving for years, and if you say no, you get no job and you're out on your ear. Sometimes you might be able to actually alter the contract through wheeling and dealing, but only in certain situations which are generally, not the norm. So you take the job and hope to get better benefits as your star rises.

Essentially - it's career promotion. You take a job at a low level, work at it, and hope for promotion later to more pay.

Striking, which is essentially not working to force the employers' profit-machine to shut down and stop earning, is generally a last-resort measure used to gain rights that are being denied - not to just get more money (though the two seem to go hand in hand).

In this case, the last time the WGA striked was in '88 which was 20 years ago and this strike is about new technology. When you consider the change in technology over those 20 years, it's no surprise this would come up.

The strike, in this case, isn't about getting a promotion they think they deserve, rather, it's that they should keep the same wage for the same job.

Writers have a system in place for how much money they earn on residuals and what not on videos, films, etc. But when those contracts were made, DVDs did not exist. So now that they do, studio executives are claiming that writers shouldn't get the exact same monetary compensation for DVDs that they've had for video.

Basically, someone went Ctrl+H and replaced "VHS" with "DVD" and they studio executives claimed they don't owe the writers any money.

This is what Random was saying - imagine if a policeman got shot, but received no compensation because he was hit by a hollow point bullet and his contract, which was made in 1901 doesn't give compensation to hollow points because they didn't exist.

I agree - striking is a sucky method with which to try and resolve these disputes; but honestly imagine you were a writer in this situation. You wrote MOLE'S WONDER PARK, a huge bestseller in the 15-25 year-old male audience. And you've been getting your residuals off it for 20 years. But now, no money is coming to you, yet the movie just came out in a new 3-disc DVD box set. You ask why you're not getting money and someone says, "Oh, your contract only stipulates video" and you realise your contract was made in 1981 and predates DVD by more than 10 years. It's a case of letter of the law defeating the spirit of the law - and what options do you have? No legal recourse, only a moral one. At the moment, that's striking, but honestly, if you can think of a better way to do it (and there should be one) best tell the WGA because I bet ****loads of people making TV still want to work.

Or something. I honestly am so burned out right now, I'm not sure I made any sense or am even accurate. What the hell "submit reply"
Excellent reply Bass. Excellent.

Also, here are other views, coming from comic writers including Marc Guggenheim, who claims that for some, this is a positive thing.

Now this is getting into a whole other thing. I don't think that's a very good argument at all. If Joe Blow can't find other work, he should be grateful for ANY job he gets. It's how the market works; if there are more people than there are jobs, the jobs will pay less.

And besides that, if Joe Blow can't find a job that pays what he needs, he needs to look for a different type of job.

But that's really besides the point, because that's a poor argument to support the strike with. And for the record I do support the writers.

I also have a jaded view of unions and striking. Living in Michigan, I've seen what unions and incredible shortsightedness and greed have done to the auto industry. They have destroyed it.

Now this is getting into a whole other thing. I don't think that's a very good argument at all. If Joe Blow can't find other work, he should be grateful for ANY job he gets. It's how the market works; if there are more people than there are jobs, the jobs will pay less.

And besides that, if Joe Blow can't find a job that pays what he needs, he needs to look for a different type of job.

But that's really besides the point, because that's a poor argument to support the strike with. And for the record I do support the writers.

I also have a jaded view of unions and striking. Living in Michigan, I've seen what unions and incredible shortsightedness and greed have done to the auto industry. They have destroyed it.
I have the perfect job for Joe Blow.

Construction%20Worker2.jpg

*Presses play on stereo*

Bom Chicka wah wah.

Unions are the devil. The people who run the unions tend to forget about who they represent, and instead, invest everything into making their jobs comfortable.

I am so against unions it's ridiculous. A union tried to come into our job, and I managed to fight them off. I mean, back in the day they were needed, now, they are nothing more than money grabbers.

The fact the BKV wants a comic book writer union disgusts me

I didn't think it was because it was fair , Just they agreed it so they need to shut the **** up and just do it. No strikes.

And I understand that but it is a part of life. Is it unfair? Yes. I'm just 100% against the strike. They earned their money , They got more than enough for what they did.

Again I mention doctors and cops. Can a Doctor say "hey I cured that man's cancer , It's not come back now for 5 years I think I should get paid for every year he is alive and if he has kids then I want money for each year they are alive as I saved their father and with out him they wouldn't be borne. I'm not getting it , let's strike"

come on. If you can strike from your job then it's not that important in the first place. I used doctors and cops an example because imagine say for 2 weeks you couldn't get arrested or cured/healed no matter what if they strike. Yeah never going to happen as it's too important.

Also "MOLE'S WONDER PARK" would be the best movie ever :p

Last edited:

I wish I could strike.

The last time I went on strike I spent 2 weeks in brig. I sat in a room all by myself and memorized half a deck of Trivial Pursuit cards.

I applaud the writers for standing up for their rights and not taking this abuse lying down. But as a consumer----I'm pissed. As usual they'll come to a compromise.

SNL had a really funny skit about this on Saturday. It summed up why they're striking pretty accrately. I'd search for it....but YouTube is blocked at work.

Stupid sexy firewall.

You mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-FZK5K8J-s

Even burnt out Bass shows why he's the nexus.

Unions are the devil. The people who run the unions tend to forget about who they represent, and instead, invest everything into making their jobs comfortable.

I am so against unions it's ridiculous. A union tried to come into our job, and I managed to fight them off. I mean, back in the day they were needed, now, they are nothing more than money grabbers.

The fact the BKV wants a comic book writer union disgusts me
I agree, they are still needed but only on a very simple and basic level to ensure rights and all that.

I didn't think it was because it was fair , Just they agreed it so they need to shut the **** up and just do it. No strikes.

Something else you should know, the original contract expired on October 31, so this strike stems from a break down in negotiates for a new contract, new media being the key issue. They did shut the **** up and did the job they signed up to do since 1985, I believe, but now the contract is in for an update (which is why they have them expire in the first place).

I have to support the writers in this situation, but damn does it suck.

Heroes wrapping up early, new shows probably getting canceled entirely.

One thing I'd like to know is if the new season of South Park is going to continue. Unlike traditional animated shows, the complete process behind an episode of South Park is about 1-2 weeks. Meaning that, unless they've got a few scripts written, they're gonna run out of episodes very fast.
Jon Stewart kicks a**.

Here's why.
I wish Jon Stewart was my boss.
What is HIMYM?
Let me show you...

*puts on lip gloss, pulls hair back*

One thing I'd like to know is if the new season of South Park is going to continue. Unlike traditional animated shows, the complete process behind an episode of South Park is about 1-2 weeks. Meaning that, unless they've got a few scripts written, they're gonna run out of episodes very fast.
Well, in the link I provided last page I think said that animated shows were safe because scripts are done way ahead of time. Maybe this is true to South Park, too?

Why I support the strike

Well, in the link I provided last page I think said that animated shows were safe because scripts are done way ahead of time. Maybe this is true to South Park, too?
Well South Park only premiere about 8 episodes a time and so far they've had 5. Also I bet they have enough scripts done and will put one off if something current they could do a show about comes up. I be its safe

Latest posts

Back