The Vroom Vroom Thread - Cars, Auto Care and Driving Tips

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
So I did a search for a thread just dealing with cars and other related stuff. No such luck. Plus...in light of several members on the board just recieving their driver's ID and just entering college, etc. I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread for:

  • Cars you want
  • Questions about cars
  • Questions about driving
  • Advice on buying a car
  • Etc Etc Etc...and stuff like that....

For starters....


Holy Jack Balls!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This will be mine. O yes....it will be mine.



Return of the Muscle Car

Dodge Challenger --- This link has a bunch of pics of the exterior and interior

dodgechallenger006.jpg



The only question is do I deck it out like the General Lee (sans Confederate Flag) or not? All signs point to yes.....
 

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Messages
15,570
Location
Mormon Land.
This will be mine or one like it. I want one that a convertiable. Either black or green. It doesn't matter the year.

Mustang.jpg



this is what I drive now.


Mirage.jpg


expect in has a smashed in truck that happened with a mishap with a dumpster.

And it's a lot dirtier. I never clean it. And it's maroon.
 

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
20,134
Location
Houde's Chili Dog Shack
I got a VIbe at the moment, I want a hybrid, and once I can afford it I will.

Yea, I'm a sucky man, think about economics more than horsepower, though I did drive a 383 Oldsmobile Cutlass (1970). A huge steel boat as I called it.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
My dad drives a Vibe. The AC on those things is terrible, that is unless they fixed it.

I drive an Intrepid and it's the 3rd one I've owned. It's just a good safe car that does good on gas. I had a Concorde before this one which is basically a nicer Intrepid.

I really like the Dodge Magnum and the 300 C - wish I could afford one or the other.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Ultimate Houde said:
Yea, I'm a sucky man, think about economics more than horsepower...

It's not so much a choice of economics moreso a choice of happiness. I look at it like this:

Would I rather have a car payment for a car that is good for the enviroment and good on gas, but I don't particularly like? Or would I rather have a car payment on a car that might only get 15mpg, but absolutely love?
 

Ultimate Houde

UC's Resident Genetic Recombinator
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
20,134
Location
Houde's Chili Dog Shack
E said:
My dad drives a Vibe. The AC on those things is terrible, that is unless they fixed it.

I thought it was just my car. The AC worked fine last year, this year it sucks. Not that I use AC anyways, I'm more of a window guy.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
I think, at the high point of car ownership, we had 11 cars between three people (and a nearly $6,000 a year insurance bill). Three of them belong to the then-18/19-year-old and were in various states of repair, two of them were non-street-legal road race cars (open-wheel Formula car and a tube-frame X1/9) I had my BMW M3 and my little summer-time Fiat convertible, the spouse had a full-size pickup for hauling things (and pulling the little tent trailer on vacations) and his daily driver, the older BMW 3.0 CSI. Then we had a couple of "organ-donor" cars for the race cars.

Now we're down to two BMWs (an M3 and a 330i) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'll probably sell the 330i and buy a thrasher high-gas-mileage around-town car (like a Toyota Yaris hatchback or a Scion xA). I looked at the Prius and the Golf TDI (we have biodiesel stations around town), but the price of both of those doesn't justify the switch-over the way the other two do. I'd really love to buy a Mini Cooper S, but the gas mileage just isn't good enough to justify that expense, either.
 
Last edited:

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
10,075
Location
New York, NY
25214.JPG


2001 Black Chevy Blazer.

I loveses it, even though its transmission completely broke at one point...
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
dodgechallenger006.jpg


So I've decided to get this and deck it out General Lee-style. Only instead of the leaving the top blank because I can't put the Dixie flag on top...I've decided to put a huge painting/decal of Cap's shield.

Corny? Yeah....but in my mind it looks sooooo awesome! :rockon:
 

MaxwellSmart

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
3,335
Location
SoCal
Dr.Strangefate said:
2001 Black Chevy Blazer.

I loveses it, even though its transmission completely broke at one point...
First off, I think "loveses" may be the gayest word ever, or a spelling ever.

Second, how do you destroy the transmission of a car in less than five years? My guess would be that no one checked the transmission fluid levels since they bought it, but I like to hope someone wouldn't be that careless.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Ultimate Houde said:
I thought it was just my car. The AC worked fine last year, this year it sucks. Not that I use AC anyways, I'm more of a window guy.

It's a widespread and well-known issue. Sometimes it just doesn't get cool, much less cold, other times it smells like sulfer. As far as I know it was never fixed.
 

MaxwellSmart

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
3,335
Location
SoCal
Victor Von Doom said:
This will be mine. O yes....it will be mine.



Return of the Muscle Car

Dodge Challenger --- This link has a bunch of pics of the exterior and interior

dodgechallenger006.jpg



The only question is do I deck it out like the General Lee (sans Confederate Flag) or not? All signs point to yes.....
What surprises me is that they say it's only going to cost around $28,000. It's a lot of money, but for a 425 horsepower car that's pretty good. It probably gets feet to the gallon, but if I manage to get the money for it I wouldn't care. This is solidly on my list of favorite sports cars.

I could do without the orange and black, though.
 

nigma

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
3,257
Location
Vancouver, Wa
Rhyo said:
I think, at the high point of car ownership, we had 11 cars between three people (and a nearly $6,000 a year insurance bill). Three of them belong to the then-18/19-year-old and were in various states of repair, two of them were non-street-legal road race cars (open-wheel Formula car and a tube-frame X1/9) I had my BMW M3 and my little summer-time Fiat convertible, the spouse had a full-size pickup for hauling things (and pulling the little tent trailer on vacations) and his daily driver, the older BMW 3.0 CSI. Then we had a couple of "organ-donor" cars for the race cars.

Now we're down to two BMWs (an M3 and a 330i) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'll probably sell the 330i and buy a thrasher high-gas-mileage around-town car (like a Toyota Yaris hatchback or a Scion xA). I looked at the Prius and the Golf TDI (we have biodiesel stations around town), but the price of both of those doesn't justify the switch-over the way the other two do. I'd really love to buy a Mini Cooper S, but the gas mileage just isn't good enough to justify that expense, either.


if i may ask, what year were the formula cars, and what what did you guys end up doing? with them>?

and the new dodge charger and mustange are WEAK, cuz every REAL man drive a CAMAROS!!!!!!!, This is the one i'll be getting when it comes out.
camaro.jpg


what i drive right now is a my 1st baby a '92 Teal Camaro with a v6 3.1L, its small but it'll blow your crap cars out of water. exact car:
92CamaroRS.jpg


and then i also drive my new bike, its a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50, pushing out about 800 CC....theres a reason i havn't been on this site...and she the reason.
2006_4_Boul-M50-gray.jpg
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
MaxwellSmart said:
What surprises me is that they say it's only going to cost around $28,000. It's a lot of money, but for a 425 horsepower car that's pretty good. It probably gets feet to the gallon, but if I manage to get the money for it I wouldn't care. This is solidly on my list of favorite sports cars.

I could do without the orange and black, though.


They'll have it in different colors....but for the concept model being displayed they modeled it after the General Lee. Probably to stir up that nostalgic feeling inside most people.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
nigma said:
if i may ask, what year were the formula cars, and what what did you guys end up doing with them?

We used to be heavily involved with the local SCCA racing group, but our interest in that tapered off after about 10 or 12 strong years in it. Both cars (and all the parts) were sold - the Caldwell Formula Vee went to a guy in Denver who still races it and the tube-frame X went to a hill-climb-racer in California. We raced on the west-coast, never really had "nationals" wishes (or budget). It's an expensive enough hobby on the regional level, nevermind nation-wide.

The Vee was a lot of fun - it wasn't a really powerful car (based on an air-cooled VW engine) but then it didn't have to be, as it weighed 1,000 pounds (with driver) and ran on huge slicks. It had more power than you could hook up to the ground a lot of the time. Taught a lot of good lessons about lift throttle oversteer and the need to be very smooth in input. It was very easy to snap-spin.
 

nigma

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
3,257
Location
Vancouver, Wa
Rhyo said:
We used to be heavily involved with the local SCCA racing group, but our interest in that tapered off after about 10 or 12 strong years in it. Both cars (and all the parts) were sold - the Caldwell Formula Vee went to a guy in Denver who still races it and the tube-frame X went to a hill-climb-racer in California. We raced on the west-coast, never really had "nationals" wishes (or budget). It's an expensive enough hobby on the regional level, nevermind nation-wide.

The Vee was a lot of fun - it wasn't a really powerful car (based on an air-cooled VW engine) but then it didn't have to be, as it weighed 1,000 pounds (with driver) and ran on huge slicks. It had more power than you could hook up to the ground a lot of the time. Taught a lot of good lessons about lift throttle oversteer and the need to be very smooth in input. It was very easy to snap-spin.

if only you could see the huge grin on my face right now.:D, im guessing that most of the work for the cars you guys did yourselves?

forget regional, its an expensive habit on just the local level, i got a few guys that trying to get cars up to par to be legal for racing.
 

MoS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2005
Messages
1,034
Location
Portland, OR
nigma said:
if only you could see the huge grin on my face right now.:D, im guessing that most of the work for the cars you guys did yourselves?

forget regional, its an expensive habit on just the local level, i got a few guys that trying to get cars up to par to be legal for racing.

Yes, all the work - the spouse (an engineer) is also a very accomplished fabricator and builder and all-around tinkerer.

And I worked as "scrutineer" at the races (along with about 5 other "official hats" which is one of the reasons I got tired of doing it at all) and one of the biggest problems we had was in explaining to someone that a) safety regs are fast and firm and not negotiable - either you meet them or you don't race and b) car classification regulations aren't negotiable, either, if it says your fuel injection may not be modified to race in that class, then it means exactly that, and you might have to race in a different class.

It's difficult to tell a man his car is not legal for class - it's as though you've told him both his dog and his baby are ugly, and things tend to get personal very quickly.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
Today I saw a PT Cruiser with the wood panelling. A woody!

I must have one.
 

Latest posts

Top