The Walking Dead (TV series)

T_Montalbano

The Walking Dead is an American monthly black and white comic published by Image Comics beginning in 2003. The comic was created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore, whom was replaced by Charlie Adlard from issue seven onward. Moore continued to do the covers until issue twenty four. It chronicles the travels of a group of people trying to survive in a world stricken by a zombie apocalypse.

As of August 12, 2009, it has been confirmed that AMC will air a Walking Dead TV series. Currently, Frank Darabont has been tied to the project as writer, director and executive producer. He previously attempted to develop this project while working with NBC. Gale Anne Hurd has also been attached to the project. According to IMDb, the series will start in 2010.

Last edited:
The Walking Dead is an American monthly black and white comic published by Image Comics beginning in 2003. The comic was created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore, whom was replaced by Charlie Adlard from issue seven onward. Moore continued to do the covers until issue twenty four. It chronicles the travels of a group of people trying to survive in a world stricken by a zombie apocalypse.

As of August 12, 2009, it has been confirmed that AMC will air a Walking Dead TV series. Currently, Frank Darabont has been tied to the project as writer, director and executive producer. He previously attempted to develop this project while working with NBC. Gale Anne Hurd has also been attached to the project. According to IMDb, the series will start in 2010.

I read in an interview with Kirkman that they were told the only thing that was off the table was the F Bomb. Otherwise do what you need to.

I am very excited.

I like The Walking Dead. I like Robert Kirkman. I like Frank Darabont. AMC has some good TV shows. I'll watch it.

no. i was thinkin' more of the violence aspect. how much violence can they actually show on AMC shows? i'm not sayin' i'm all 'bout violence, but i would like realism in my shows. i don't wanna see somebody get stabbed and they pull the knife out and there's no blood, y'know?

Examples: The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, etc.

no. i was thinkin' more of the violence aspect. how much violence can they actually show on AMC shows? i'm not sayin' i'm all 'bout violence, but i would like realism in my shows. i don't wanna see somebody get stabbed and they pull the knife out and there's no blood, y'know?

I found the whole quote and Robert addresses the violence too.

Robert Kirkman said:
I had no concerns about that whatsoever, because one of the concerns I have about zombie fiction is when they rely too much on the shocking gore aspects. That's not really the point of "Walking Dead," so to a certain extant, I think it will work better at AMC—because it forces people not to rely on that stuff. As far as "Walking Dead" not having teeth on AMC, if you've ever seen [certain episodes of] "Mad Men" or "Breaking Bad," they push a lot of boundaries as far as content goes.

In fact, I just had a meeting with a bunch of the executives at AMC, and Darabont, and Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert at Circle of Confusion, and the executives were talking to Darabont about his script and they said, "You can't use the F-word." That was the only limitation they gave him. We were all stunned.
Sounds pretty good to me.

Well it is in black and white which, according to Kill Bill, cuts down on the violence rating.

Also, I'm glad it's on AMC since I actually get that channel.

I'm setting up for grave dissapointment.

And you should too!

Interesting...I stopped reading the comic around issue #30 or so. Still, I enjoyed it, and the idea of it being adapted to a TV show is awesome. I wonder if it will be faithful to the comic, or instead go off in its own direction (the latter is more likely for a number of reasons).

Interesting...I stopped reading the comic around issue #30 or so. Still, I enjoyed it, and the idea of it being adapted to a TV show is awesome. I wonder if it will be faithful to the comic, or instead go off in its own direction (the latter is more likely for a number of reasons).

I hope it goes in it's own direction, 'cause I love readin' the comics. I like to be surprised, as well. Not knowin' what will happen. Keeps me interested

Should it be filmed in black and white?

Hmmmmm.....

I don't know. On one hand it would help with retaining an element of faithfulness to the source material...but on the other hand I think it would hinder the show's appeal to the masses.

Hmmmmm.....

I don't know. On one hand it would help with retaining an element of faithfulness to the source material...but on the other hand I think it would hinder the show's appeal to the masses.

I dont know. This is an argument that has been around since the coming of color to the screen. What's never taken into account is that television and movie adiences have matured. Watching television has become second nature to us and we can take watching something that is different from what we are used to. At any rate, the succes of movies Schindlers list and clerks prove that audiences can overcome the lack of color in movies.

On the subject of Walking dead however, I agree that it probably wouldn't work. It would call back images of 50s monster movies and although those have a pretty large underground fanbase they are mostly ignored by the general public. They dont appeal to the general public anymore.

Should it be filmed in black and white?

Hmmmmm.....

I dont know. This is an argument that has been around since the coming of color to the screen. What's never taken into account is that television and movie adiences have matured. Watching television has become second nature to us and we can take watching something that is different from what we are used to. At any rate, the succes of movies Schindlers list and clerks prove that audiences can overcome the lack of color in movies.

On the subject of Walking dead however, I agree that it probably wouldn't work. It would call back images of 50s monster movies and although those have a pretty large underground fanbase they are mostly ignored by the general public. They dont appeal to the general public anymore.

I was just thinking about this discussion and then came across this....

Fan-made Walking Dead scene

I'm still on the fence. I, personally, like it. But I'm not sure if the public will.

Where does it say he has been cast as Rick? It just says a lead role.

I read that he has been cast as Shane.

Latest posts

Back