Top 10 Comic Movies

These lists are always hard. Do I pick movies based on whether they're good adaptations of the comics or good movies in general? I've restricted myself to live-action adaptations of English comics (otherwise Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Oldboy would be on there):

300, The Avengers, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Hellboy, Iron Man, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Sin City, Thor, X-Men 2.

The Dark Knight is #1.

I would replace 300 and Thor with Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 after rewatching them. I hope I can replace Hellboy with The Dark Knight Rises.

Captain Canuck said:
The order isn't concrete, and I'm hoping very much that Amazing Spider-Man ends up toward the top of this list.

1) Avengers
2) Batman Begins
3) Spider-Man 2
4) Iron Man
5) Batman (Adam West)
6) X-Men: First Class
7) Dark Knight
8) Spider-Man
9) Captain America
10) X2

1) Avengers
2) The Amazing Spider-Man
3) Batman Begins
4) Spider-Man 2
5) Iron Man
6) Batman (Adam West)
7) Dark Knight
8) X-Men: First Class
9) Spider-Man
10) Captain America

I fully expect Dark Knight Rises to take first or second place next week, and to be honest, I won't mind The last few getting kicked off the bottom. Once Dark Knight ends up in the 10th slot though, the decisions are going to be a lot harder to make!

Last edited:
I fully expect Dark Knight Rises to take first or second place next week

I'm trying really hard not to have any expectations after being so disappointed by Amazing Spider-Man, but I know Dark Knight Rises is going to be so incredible that it will probably be right at the top of my list too.

Captain Canuck said:
1) Avengers
2) The Amazing Spider-Man
3) Batman Begins
4) Spider-Man 2
5) Iron Man
6) Batman (Adam West)
7) Dark Knight
8) X-Men: First Class
9) Spider-Man
10) Captain America

I fully expect Dark Knight Rises to take first or second place next week, and to be honest, I won't mind The last few getting kicked off the bottom. Once Dark Knight ends up in the 10th slot though, the decisions are going to be a lot harder to make!

1) Avengers
2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) The Amazing Spider-Man
4) Batman Begins
5) Spider-Man 2
6) Iron Man
7) Batman (Adam West)
8) Dark Knight
9) X-Men: First Class
10) Spider-Man

I had a hard time figuring out if I liked TDKR better than the Avengers or not, but I landed on not, just because of how much Marvel had to do to pull off the Avengers. I really loved both films though, and for very different reasons.

I also had a hard time figuring out which movie to kick off the bottom. I like Spider-Man, X-Men: First Class, and Captain America probably about the same. They all have issues, but they're all enjoyable. I'm not sure if knocking Cap off was the right decision or not...

Last edited:
The Avengers, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Sin City, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2. That's more like it.

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Batman Begins
Sin City
V for Vendetta
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor

1) Avengers
2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) The Amazing Spider-Man
4) Batman Begins
5) Spider-Man 2
6) Iron Man
7) Batman (Adam West)
8) Dark Knight
9) X-Men: First Class
10) Spider-Man

I had a hard time figuring out if I liked TDKR better than the Avengers or not, but I landed on not, just because of how much Marvel had to do to pull off the Avengers. I really loved both films though, and for very different reasons.

I also had a hard time figuring out which movie to kick off the bottom. I like Spider-Man, X-Men: First Class, and Captain America probably about the same. They all have issues, but they're all enjoyable. I'm not sure if knocking Cap off was the right decision or not...

Man, this is hard now… And with DoFP coming out next week, who knows. I pushed the 60s Batman movie up the list considerably because I've realized it is, hands down, my favourite interpretation of Batman.

1) Avengers
2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3) Batman (Adam West)
4) The Dark Knight Rises
5) The Amazing Spider-Man
6) Batman Begins
7) Spider-Man 2
8) Iron Man
9) The Dark Knight
10) Spider-Man

Last edited:
What do you think the "replacement" message was?

And I have to say, I disagree that it's okay to change the meaning of a story. The meaning of a story is why the story exists. If you have to change that, you might as well just tell a different story. V wasn't about superheroism. It was about the cold grayscale of political reality, where the fascists in power are abominable but have sympathetic reasoning and the anarchists have sympathetic backgrounds but act like deplorable ****s. If you change that and turn it into a white-washed four-colored good vs. evil thing, it's not the same story. It's not V anymore.

Maybe I don't get it, but I didn't think the replacement message was all that different. Wasn't it still about fighting fascism or the dangers of fascism? Just because it wasn't Thatcher's particular brand of it, I don't think that means the message was ruined or diluted or anything like that. It was really just a setting change, wasn't it?

This is easy

Spider-Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
Batman (1960s)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Iron Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dredd
American Splendor
Superman vs The Elite
Superman: The Movie

01. Iron Man
02. Avengers
03. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Others of the 10 in no particular order: Wanted, Constantine, Dredd, Batman Begins, V For Vendetta, The Fountain, Spider-Man 2, The Rocketeer.

Man, this is hard now… And with DoFP coming out next week, who knows. I pushed the 60s Batman movie up the list considerably because I've realized it is, hands down, my favourite interpretation of Batman.

1) Avengers
3) Batman (Adam West)
4) The Dark Knight Rises
6) Batman Begins
7) Spider-Man 2
8) Iron Man
9) The Dark Knight
10) Spider-Man

1) Avengers
3) Batman (Adam West)
4) The Dark Knight Rises
6) Batman Begins
7) Spider-Man 2
8) Iron Man
9) X-Men: Days of Future Past
10) The Dark Knight

This is really super hard now. It's really hard to rank movies like this. Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man are both fun super hero movies. Spider-Man 2 has a lot of nostalgia for me, but Iron Man is definitely a better made movie. So which is my favourite? I don't know. I think I'm comfortable with this list, but the order is probably wrong.

Last edited:
Here's my list:

1 ) The Avengers
2 ) Batman Begins
3 ) The Dark Knight
4 ) Captain America: The Winder Soldier
5 ) X-Men: Days of Future Past
6 ) Captain America: The First Avenger
7 ) Iron Man
8 ) 300
9 ) The Dark Knight Rises
10 ) Spider-Man 2

Honorable Mentions: V for Vendetta, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, and the original Spider-Man.

Last edited:
1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Batman Begins
5. X-Men 2
6. Sin City
7. Iron Man 3
8. Hellboy
9. Watchmen
10. Mystery Men

1. X-Men Days of Future Past
2. Watchmen
3. Man of Steel
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. The trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
7. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
8. Men in Black 3
9. Avengers
10. The Incredible Hulk

Honorable Mentions include: Hellboy, Sin City, and The Punisher (1989)

Last edited:
1) Avengers
3) Batman (Adam West)
4) The Dark Knight Rises
6) Batman Begins
7) Spider-Man 2
8) Iron Man
9) X-Men: Days of Future Past
10) The Dark Knight

This is really super hard now. It's really hard to rank movies like this. Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man are both fun super hero movies. Spider-Man 2 has a lot of nostalgia for me, but Iron Man is definitely a better made movie. So which is my favourite? I don't know. I think I'm comfortable with this list, but the order is probably wrong.

It's funny how time changes things. I still think Amazing Spider-Man was a really good Spider-Man movie, but Amazing Spider-Man 2 actually decreases my like for it. Enough for it to no longer be on this list. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is also going to move up to top the list now. Nothing that has come out in the past year makes it into the top ten, although I wish I could put the Daredevil netflix series on here.

1) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2) Avengers
3) Batman (Adam West)
4) Spider-Man 2
5) Iron Man
6) X-Men: Days of Future Past
7) Batman Begins
8) The Dark Knight Rises
9) The Dark Knight
10) Spider-Man

Last edited:
10 - X-men - Days of Future Past
9 - The Dark Knight Rises
8 - Captain America - The First Avenger
7 - Scott Pilgrim vs The World
6 - Captain America - The Winter Soldier
5 - V For Vendetta
4 - Sin City
3 - Batman Begins
2 - Avengers
1 - The Dark Knight

1. V For Vendetta
  2. Sin City
  3. Guardians Of The Galaxy
  4. Avengers 2
  5. The Dark Knight
  6. Batman Begins
  7. Avengers
  8. Winter Soldier
  9. Iron Man
  10. The Dark Knight Rises

I really feel like this could be shuffled around completely on any given day.

Latest posts

Back