Tropic Thunder, or, that movie where Robert Downey Jr. is black.

Seth Rogan, Evan Goldberg, Michael Cera, Ellen Page, Katherine Heigel, and now Jay Baruchel.

It's official: Canada has taken over comedy.

Edit: This movie has the potential to be the most fall-on-the-floor, throw-up hilarious movie in quite a while. Hope it delivers.

Last edited:
Seth Rogan, Evan Goldberg, Michael Cera, Ellen Page, Katherine Heigel, and now Jay Baruchel.

It's official: Canada has taken over comedy.

Edit: This movie has the potential to be the most fall-on-the-floor, throw-up hilarious movie in quite a while. Hope it delivers.

Dan Akroyd, John Candy, Jim Carrey, Dave Foley, Michael J Fox, Phil Hartman, Eugene Levey, Norm MacDonald, Rick Moranis, Mike Myers, Martin Short, Dave Thomas, Canada has had a stranglehold on comedy since the 70s.

I was going to make a thread entitled "Robert Downey Jr is Black!" but was just too lazy

I think the subtitle for this movie should be: "That Movie Where Robert Downey Jr. Is Black". I'd see it just for that.

In August?

I know I won't be able to do WWC.....but I'd actually be down for a road trip just to hang with Houde and see this film.

Robert Downey Jr. isn't playing black or playing blackface.

He's playing a guy who plays black by putting on blackface.

Which is infinitely more awesome.

Robert Downey Jr. isn't playing black or playing blackface.

He's playing a guy who plays black by putting on blackface.

Which is infinitely more awesome.

Actually judging by the trailer, he's playing a guy who gets reconstructive surgery to become permanently black.

Awesomeness abounds.

Actually judging by the trailer, he's playing a guy who gets reconstructive surgery to become permanently black.
Um... no.

Downey's character is basically one of those 'crazy Method actors' who decides to play a black character. He's Kirk Lazarus, critically acclaimed Australian thesp playing Sergeant Osiris.
Entertainment Weekly said:
If you don't recognize that African-American actor, there's a good reason: He's white. In Tropic Thunder, Robert Downey Jr. plays Kirk Lazarus, a very serious Oscar-winning actor cast in the most expensive Vietnam War film ever. Problem is, Lazarus's character, Sgt. Osiris, was originally written as black. So Lazarus decides to dye his skin and play Osiris, um, authentically. Funny? Sure. Dangerous? That's an understatement. ''If it's done right, it could be the type of role you called Peter Sellers to do 35 years ago,'' Downey says. ''If you don't do it right, we're going to hell.''
THAT'S why it's awesome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back