Ult. Spider-Man #67 discussion **SPOILERS**

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Hey all, well, I picked up USM #67 today and I gotta say the wrap up was pretty weak. Apparently Jean Grey had switched Wolverine's mind into Pete's body because he had hit on her or something. Pretty weak huh? Anyway, this (and #66) were the only issues I haven't absolutely loved of the series so far, so I'll grant them this respite in good story telling. Guess Bendis just wanted to have some fun with these issues, as he made clear he was doing in the opening pages of these issues. Anyway, one more thing, USM #66-67 MUST occur after UXM "Tempest" storyline from UXM #45-49, since Storm's sporting her new 'haircut' in the USM issues, which she gave herself in Tempest. Anyway, here's looking forward to USM #68.

Well, reading your post, I actually think that's alright. I know I fussed about this a lot, but I was thinking it just happened or something having to do with magic came into play... I sort of like this one... Spider-Man stories are supposed to be light and the direction it was going after Gwen's death wasn't the right one, so I'll let it slide. Alright, guys? I forgive Bendis!

Guess Bendis just wanted to have some fun with these issues, as he made clear he was doing in the opening pages of these issues.

I'm shocked that no one mentioned that this arc wasn't Bendis's idea! He mentions in the "PREVIOUSLY" page that it was editor Nick Lowe's idea. See, I was right! Like I said in another thread about this arc that it was someone else's idea and not Bendis's. And people were pissing and moaning about Bendis and this arc...

What did Spider-man say to Boomerang? Bendthis.

Oh my god what a bad bad bad joke :oops:

I think we have to allow Bendis to have his fun. If there is someone at Marvel that I trust to not abuse the storylines to much it has to be Bendis, (even though I thought this 2 issue arc was to bring in a younger audience).

This story was very creative and the ending was perfect. As a story I thought it was great - an A+. My only issue is with the timing. This book should have an absolute miserable tone right now.

Yeah, there ain't enough misery in that boy's life.

Everytime a spider builds a cobweb, the phantom feather duster comes out and brings it crashing down.

Well, who would you rather be Ice, the President's advisor or the President. If you're the advisor, Nick Lowe, you can tell what the president what to do and, if it's a bad mistake you won't get grilled for it, the President, Bendis, will and if you're the president, you make the executive decisions regardless of what the advisor says and no matter what decision you make, since you're in the public light, you'll get a critic for everything you say and do. This is a metaphor, of course.

Well, we were just discussing that it was Nick Lowe who wanted it done in the pages of Ultimate Spider-Man. That's what we're talking about.

Bendis made it work, though. The whole idea of body swapping was something I wasn't interested in seeing (even though it was funny as hell), and although the ending may be percieved as somewhat anti-climatic, that just adds to the humour of the story. And from what we've seen of Jean's abilities, as well as stuff that Xavier has done with his telepathy, it made the most sense, too.

Bludd_Rush said:
Bendis made it work, though. The whole idea of body swapping was something I wasn't interested in seeing (even though it was funny as hell), and although the ending may be percieved as somewhat anti-climatic, that just adds to the humour of the story. And from what we've seen of Jean's abilities, as well as stuff that Xavier has done with his telepathy, it made the most sense, too.

Agreed... Although I would say that this could have all been avoided if Spider-Man and Wolverine just went along with what I had suggested, which was Wolverine becoming Spider-Man for a while to cover Peter.

Although I would say that this could have all been avoided if Spider-Man and Wolverine just went along with what I had suggested, which was Wolverine becoming Spider-Man for a while to cover Peter.

Avoided how? There would be no reason for him to cover Peter. Bendis's story is much better - no offense ;)

erm... Logan hasn't really the athletic body to go schoop schoopin around the roof tops of Manhattan so it had to be the mind swap idea.

Yeah, even if he did it while in Peter's body, I don't think he would know what do exactly. It would eb funny to see how he would swing around the city though. :lol:

Well, I got the issue in the mail and, I won't lie, I liked it. It definitely served its purpose of taking away the darker side of Spider-Man and it put the fun back into it. It was cool to see the new members of the X-Men drawn by Bagley and it was cool to have Bendis tie it into Wolverine's character development from his Blockbuster run... Very cool. Jean was being silly, though, but I am going to let it go because she's only a teenager and she has something against killing people... It's probably something I would have thought to do, too.

I especially liked to see Wolverine swinging... Very funny.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Hilarious issue

1. Wolverine web swinging

2. Mary Jane: That thing you tried to do this morning? Can we not wait till we're older?"

3. Spider-man swearing at everyone and colossus asking "Why am i a %#@^%#$^ i was just standing here"

Funniest thing I have read from Bendis. I really liked it.

Not a bad issue, quite funny but definitely out of place.

BUT!!

Did it not seem to anyone else that Jean was just telling them that she swapped their minds. It all seemed that they just had to convince themselves to go back to normal and they did.

Maybe its just me

I think she completely switched their brains... That's a feat she can accomplish because she's supposedly that powerful. Who knows. I don't need any further explanation from what I've already been given. A good issue, not the greatest, but something that I will openly accept.

7.5/10

Latest posts

Back