Ult. Spider-Man #67 discussion **SPOILERS**

OH MY GOD, I know I appear to be pushing this "I wonder if Pete's father is really Pete's father" but how old is Wolverine and where was he about 17 years ago?

"LSJL drums his fingers against his temple"

Wolverine is not his father! Seriously, think about this... If he were his father, do you really think that Peter would have been vulnerable enough to react to a spider bite? If Wolverine were his father, he would have had a healing factor at that point where the spider bite wouldn't have mattered regardless of the sort of spider.

Please change the subject! :)

Goodwill said:
Wolverine is not his father! Seriously, think about this... If he were his father, do you really think that Peter would have been vulnerable enough to react to a spider bite? If Wolverine were his father, he would have had a healing factor at that point where the spider bite wouldn't have mattered regardless of the sort of spider.

Please change the subject! :)

Well, it would be cool if peter did have a super hero as a relative...like Captain America as his great great uncle.

erm... I think the mutant gene is passed on via female mutants, not male. it is does not neccessarily follow that because Wolverine had sex with a human female that there would be mutant child. Also, Cable is not capable of optic blasts and has more in common with jean than scott. I still maintain that there is every possibility that Peter could have been a mutant and it was the trauma of the spider bite that ignited the gene. I mean I can imagine that Logan has had sex with hundreds of women in his 150 years of life, as in the return of the native storyline in his own comic - no condom was used and 130 odd years ago I can't imagine he would spend an hour standing outside the local apothocary trying to get up the nerve to buy a pack of three!!!!!!!!!!

Peter could have been a mutant and it was the trauma of the spider bite that ignited the gene

That's a very Earth X idea.

That idea actually popped up in a fan fic that I had written a while ago. I think that the whole origin of Spider-Man has been taken care of in the Ultimate Universe. If any more is added to it, I will be extremely sceptical.

that's the scene I was on about ice, on my limited edition variant copy of the film pyro says it's the female gene... honest :wink:

Male/female genes aside, I'm not saying I hated the issue. Both #66 and #67 had some genuinely funny and cool moments, a trait that has served this title well in the past. But, (which I guess I didn't reiterate clearly in this post, and bing reminded by UltimateE's and other's posts), its the timing that just gets to me about this issue. Gwen died like 3 or 4 issues ago (a good friend and also the girl living with him at his Aunt's house for the past several months--so almost like a sister) and I don't think there's any feeling of closure to this aspect of the story. Now, this may have been done on purpose to leave open future story possibilities involving Gwen somehow (God, hopefully no Gwen clones in the Ultimate U), and most definitly for the impending return of both Venom and Carnage, but as it stands its almost like Gwen's death is being swept under the rug and forgotten after #65. Shouldn't Peter be haunted by his close friend's violent death at the hands of his own clone/Venom hybrid just a little, despite how good the talk he had with Aunt May was (mentioned at beginning of #66). I'm just saying, the story was good, but the characterization during it was so unrealistic and unexplainable that it made it seem a down point in the USM run. Had this story been placed maybe right before "Hobgoblin", it might make more sense. At least we know in the upcoming meeting with Dr. Strange that Peter's been having nightmares, so maybe thats in reference to Gwen's death and the issues surrounding it. Then again, the Ultimates show up, so I can't even begin to fathom where that storyline is headed. Dialogue in #66-67 was good as always, like I said very humorous, and the whole Jean causing it explanation made some sense, but I still think it was weak. Its just the timing that makes this story not make sense. Anyway, obviously big things are gonna be happening with Ult. Spidey in 2005, so I can't really hold this against Bendis, or Nick Lowe, or whoever the hell actually wrote this story. Can't wait for #68, Ult. Torch meets Spider-Man.

A Gwen clone? In the Ultimate Universe? No chance! Bendis would never let that happen. What, you think just because he had the deformed clone of Peter's father absorb her being, and hence part of her DNA, that he would use that as an excuse to have her cloned...

Uh-oh :shock:

Well, who said Bendis was finished with Gwen? There does seem to be some things floating around that Bendis will not forget... Trust him, I've learned to for the past eight issues.

Irish, I couldn't agree more.

You know what could have been done (and this is just my dumb idea), is to make this a "6 moths ago" kind of thing, so that you can still do a Wolverine story for Wolverine month and not disrupt the current storyline. Irish said it perfectly - there is NO closure to Gwen's death. The Doc Strange arc may very well address that, but to have a goofy story like this in the middle is extremely awkward.

Right, I was the one that first brought that up, remember, UltimateE? I couldn't agree with all of you more... It seemed that Peter was more concerned with getting his body back than pissing and moaning about Gwen while he was in Wolverine's body ("First Gwen, now I'm trapped in someone else body?!") that kinda thing.

Gwen's death wasn't swept under the rug this storyline. In issue 66 Aunt may says something along the lines of "we will get through this", and as traumatic as a move is it doesn't warrant a chin up attitude. We don't even know what the move is about. And I doubt it's over money as other than in the initial issues nothing has been said a bout the perenial money problems that bogged Aunt May and Peter in 616. My guess is that it was motivated by Gwen's death. Heck if two murders occured on my property within a year of each other I'd be moving out.

The loss of Gwen is there in the subtext.

Peter, Aunt May and MJ aren't going to be in extensive outward mourning all the time. If anything given how horrible Gwen's death was and Peter's connection to it, Peter likely doesn't want to be thinking about it or be reminded of it. And it's not like Peter and Aunt May have a lot of heart to hearts, they tend to keep to their own worlds and only actually talk about things when they are about to fall apart. Besides constantly grieving someone and bringing it up all the time isn't healthy. It'll be there in the background for quite some time but we can't have the next year's worth of USM having Gwen's death being mentioned in every issue.

Any money it comes up in the next two issues in some way.

It just seems inappropriate that Gwen's death wasn't really dealt with in this arc. Its like they're just avoiding the fallout. Its cheapening the comic

Well, in defense of Bendis, this arc was by no means anything that tarnished the title. In fairness, the title was heading down a dark path, something that isn't common in a Spider-Man title. We don't need to see Peter slashing his wrists so we have something that makes light of the situation, more or less, and we get back on track with the goodness of the title... Now, minus Gwen, of course.

icemastertron said:
Hey LSJL, the mutant gene is passed via the male gene. Check out X2 and see. Pyro says it himself in Bobby's house.

No man... Pyro was just messing with them. A mutation cannot be controlled. AT ALL. Or at least all everybody in the Ultimate Universe would be a mutant by now!

Latest posts

Back