Ultimate... 616.. WHAT????? (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

How many times have we gone over this...? :arrgh:

*Waits for E to answer while eating popcorn and watching Kangaroo Jack*

I refuse to believe it.

Hopefully the "alternate" universe will be that mess that was Ultimate Team-Up #9... and one of the reasons I don't believe it is because it says nothing in the 616 solicitations about it. So... anyone who actually wants this to happen can take it and shove it....

Here's a quick question. Where does the number 616 for the regular marvel universe come from? I mean is it stated in some comic or what? :?
Yes, this is a real question because I really don't know.

Ultimate Warrior said:
Here's a quick question. Where does the number 616 for the regular marvel universe come from? I mean is it stated in some comic or what? :?
Yes, Alan Moore had this stated in the comics sometime ago. It is "cannon", as its also mentioned in a recent issue of MK: 4.

616 is the number Alan Moore assigned to "this" earth while writing stories involving Captain Britain and the Captain Britain corps.

icemastertron said:
Yes, Alan Moore had this stated in the comics sometime ago. It is "cannon", as its also mentioned in a recent issue of MK: 4.
Oh, I know that it's cannon, I just wanted to know where it came from. If the regular universe is number 616 then atleast 615 others exist. I thought it might have come from the What if...? comics (as those are in other parallel universes).

Screw the Richards meeting. I want Nick Fury and Samuel L. Nick Fury to meet. And duke it out. And throw racial jokes at each other.

I'm a mean spirited person.

Ultimate Warrior said:

According to some, the number 616 comes from the fact that Fantastic Four #1 was released June, 1961 - 61/6.

iceman said:
Screw the Richards meeting. I want Nick Fury and Samuel L. Nick Fury to meet. And duke it out. And throw racial jokes at each other.

This would be perhaps, the greatest boon to mankind for quite some time...

The non-official companies need to stop treating Ultimate like it's Heroes Reborn.

And it damn well better not be.

Seriously at first I was so pysched about this and then the more I think about it's gonna be people saying lame jokes about one another. But then again if Spider-Man did it.. I think it would be more interesting.

It is possible that Moore's choice was inspired by the release date of Fantastic Four #1, which is considered by most to be the date the modern Marvel Universe was launched. Although the cover date of the comic book is given as November 1961, there are claims that the comic book was released as early as June 1961, hence, "61/6". Other Alternate Earths.

It is also possible that "616" is a reference to the Number of the Beast in the final chapter of the Christian Bible, the Book of Revelation (or the Apocalypse of John). While most early manuscripts give the Number of the Beast as "666", the earliest existing fragment of the Greek text of this book gives it as "616". Irenaeus argued against the "616" number in his neverending battle against early heresies. Moore, a student of mystic esoterica from a very early age, could well have known about this alternate rendering. Quite why the Marvel Universe should even be named after the Number of the Beast may be an indirect reference to set it apart from the DC Universe. For many years, the headquarters of DC Comics was located at 666 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Thus, the name could be a subtle joke that the DC Universe was Earth-666 while the Marvel Universe was Earth-616; both numbers, of course, are renderings of the Number of the Beast.

eroz said:
It is possible that Moore's choice was inspired by the release date of Fantastic Four #1, which is considered by most to be the date the modern Marvel Universe was launched. Although the cover date of the comic book is given as November 1961, there are claims that the comic book was released as early as June 1961, hence, "61/6". Other Alternate Earths.

It is also possible that "616" is a reference to the Number of the Beast in the final chapter of the Christian Bible, the Book of Revelation (or the Apocalypse of John). While most early manuscripts give the Number of the Beast as "666", the earliest existing fragment of the Greek text of this book gives it as "616". Irenaeus argued against the "616" number in his neverending battle against early heresies. Moore, a student of mystic esoterica from a very early age, could well have known about this alternate rendering. Quite why the Marvel Universe should even be named after the Number of the Beast may be an indirect reference to set it apart from the DC Universe. For many years, the headquarters of DC Comics was located at 666 Fifth Avenue in New York City. Thus, the name could be a subtle joke that the DC Universe was Earth-666 while the Marvel Universe was Earth-616; both numbers, of course, are renderings of the Number of the Beast.
This is why this guy's the comic guru! :wink:

If they will go so far as to have John Cassaday draw fake pages of Astonishing to trick us into thinking it was Jean coming back, they would cook something up with Diamond to get people talking about this series.

Relax people, it ain't gonna happen.

Samuel L. Fury and Nick Fury suddenly meet, look at each other up and down, real slow:

Samuel L. Fury: "Aw, hell no!"

That would make this worth it.

Latest posts

Back