Ultimate Avengers discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
OK. After have watched the movie I have to say that the animation was made in as a perfect comic reflection. The movie as whole made a good impression but there was times when it seemed improvised because of shortage in time.

Well here's the rundown (I'm not very good at this so stay with me):

The movie start in 1945 on the plane with the force that Captain America is in. They are on their way to storm the castle that holds a secret weapon that the Nazis have. Cap looks at the picture at Gail that he has brought with him.
The camera switch to group of soldiers on the plane now trying to storm the castle. The group leader asks Bucky where his Super Soldier is now and a plane appears. Cap is flying it and aiming it towards the castle. He jumps out in the last minute and the plane crashes into it.
They storm the castle (No big shouting from cap in the movie by the way) and we meet the REAL enemy for the first time, the Chitauri.
The missile launches and cap jump on it, rips out a hatch and puts a handgranate into it. The thing explodes and Cap falls down.
Now the view switches to present time and in a sub somewhere in the Atlantic is Fury, Betty Ross and some unnamed men trying to find the remains of Captain America. They locate him and bring him back to the Trisk.
Banner is the one in charge of the Super soldier program and he gets really pleased when he hear that they have found Caps body. He rushes to the room where they are defrosting him but before getting there, Cap wakes up and goes karate on the guy defrosting him plus a squad of soldiers that runs to the room trying to stop him. Fury goes into the room with a invisible-suit on him and aims a gun to Cap's head trying to cool him down. Cap pushes him out of the way and escapes out. He sees all the things that is the new America outside the Trisk and when Fury now meets up with him he is calm.
New scene which includes a satellite (named S.H.I.E.L.D 1) that can track Vibranium (that the Chitauri ships are made of) is now playing and Fury is whatching is from a control center. It immediately finds a ship and the Chitauri is not glad. They attack the satellite and blows it, and the space shuttle next to it, up. Fury is not happy.
After this fury gets a hold with Stark (with Natashas help :wink: ) and want him to cantact Iron Man for him. Stark says he will take it under considuration and leaves in a helicopter to meet with the Governor.
After that Fury and Black Widow goes to see Wasp and stumbles unto Hank in the same time. Fury offers Wasp a membership but not Hank. Hank shows Fury his new "grow big" technoligy and Fury changes his mind. In the same time Iron Man has rescued a plane from crashing in the middle of New York and Fury goes to talk to him (with a small squad of Soldiers) and after Iron Man has declared that he works alone, do not want to be a member of the Avengers and tries to fly away he gets smashed into the ground by Giant Man that has been brought by Fury. Iron Man is impressed but still says no.
Next is Thor's turn. We find him on a boat trying to stop whale hunters and is provoked into using Mjolnir and produce a storm that rains ice. Fury and Captain America confronts Thor about a membership in Avengers and altough Thor is impressed with Cap he says no (or belches whatever you prefer). On the travel home Cap is informed about Hulk and the connection to Banner.
When they are back on the Triskelion the new team, Cap, Black Widow, Hank, Wasp and Iron Man (that choosed to accept a membership apparantly), is informed about the Chitauri threat. Also Banner and Ross is present. They also get a display of the Vibranium that the Chitauri uses to make ships and armor off.
In the meantime a Chitauri is infiltrating and kills everybody in a armybase that holds all the SHIELD data. Fury is allertad about it he sends the team to stop him from getting the info. The team fails (and Iron Man is revealed to be Stark) because they don't listen to Cap's orders and the Chitauri gets away. Cap is devestated because he thinks that HE is the one who failed the role as a leader.
Fury yells at the team and Cap walks away with Black Widow following him. On the way back Fury informs Banner that he needs the Super Serum NOW. Black Widow convinses Cap to go back to the team and Ross & Fury discovers that Banner never had any candidates for the Super Serum program. It was all in an attempt for Banner to get control of the Hulk.
Two Chitauri ships are now on their way to attack the Trisk and team (minus Iron Man but with Fury) gets ready to fight them. When Banner hears about it he thinks that this is a good oppertunity to show them that the Hulk can be controlled and transforms himself with the help of the super soldier serum into the Hulk. Ross tries to stop him but can't. After the transformation is complete it's shown that Banner succeded. He is now in control of the Hulk.
The fight with the Chirauri starts and Iron Man AND Thor joins with the other.
The succed into stopping the threat but when Cap goes to congratulate Banner he gets punched back. HUlk is back. Banner is gone. Now the Hulk is the threat.
After a long fight, in which the Hulk tries to lift Mjolnir that Thor dropped and is shown to have BIG problems lifting it even whit both hands (but after he has lift it he can hold it with only one. Strange.), they succed into stopping him.
The team celebrate and Banner is locked in his cell from the Ultimates. The End.

That was about it.

Things I REALLY liked about the movie:
That Hulk had problems lifting Mjolnir.
That Iron Man's identity is secret, until he is unmasked, from SHIELD.

Things I didn't like:
That Cap and Fury isn't such big a-holes as they are in Ultimates.
The political undertones is completely gone.
Fury's voice. It should have been the voice that the agent in TMNT 2003 have.
The talk between Banner and Cap in the labratory and the talk between Cap and Black Widow. Seemed forced.
Where was all the innocent normal people? They where never shown.

After all that, is it worth bying? I would say HELL YEAH!!!
Is it worth buying if you already read Ultimates? Ummm........ No.

Last edited:
I was expecting The Ultimates, not this crap.

I have seen the movie in full now and it was pretty freakn' weak if you ask me to start with the voice acting was so dead and dull and it sounded like the same guy did everyones voice the story was pretty lame too thye actauly try to play cap up like he was all insacure about his leadership skills thor was just goofy they cut out ever possilbe thing they could that makes the ultimates such a great story thye didn't even have enough guts to mention smoking in the opening dialog in the plane ... it didn't have to be right from the books but it could have been sooo much more with just alittle more guts i mean justice luege was "kid safe" but it still had soul and eage to it ,this was just sad...

its one redeeming value to me is some 9 year old kids gonna whach it and love it couse kids love anything and get his parents to buy him the comics thinking thier as sad and weak and safe as this movie and the kids little head will expoled from the awesomness of a real comic story , the thought of that gives me alittle smile

i did like iron man sitting at his desk with the bottel but the suit was alittle to 616 for my task the ultimate suit it why i start readign thew comics to start with

Last edited:
Ultimate Warrior said:
With my eyes. :wink:

Well, when you where using your eyes to see this. Did you see the trailer to the second one. And was this screen shoot apart of it?

blackpanther.jpg

Last edited:
Black Panther?! With a panther?!

They're not adapting The Ultimates, they're just getting this stuff out of their ***. I wouldn't be suprised if Hudlin was involved.

the watcher said:
Well, when you where using your eyes to see this. Did you see the trailer to the second one. And was this screen shoot apart of it?

blackpanther.jpg
Looks fake.

Bryan Hitch actually designed the Black Panther and whoever draws this adapted him into the film... Avi Arad said that in the Ultimate Avengers 2 movie they'd be fleshing out Black Panther and Wakanda. Interesting, although not interesting enough to get me into this...

The thing opens with a very nice shot in the belly of the plane.

Then it kinda goes down hill.

There are all kinds of nonsense and inconsistencies throughout the cartoon.

There were some nice touches such as Hulk not lifting Thor's hammer, Thor being a big brute, Kleiser and Cap fighting on the rocket, Hulk bashing in Iron Man, "SHIELD sucks", Iron Man having a secret identity, using Black Widow to lure Tony Stark (though the gun was stupid), and Banner's view that the Hulk could be a boon to mankind and not a monster.

But too much of it was stupid. When Kleiser gets cut by Cap's shield and he regrows in an alien fashion - all that was pissed away because we'd just seen Cap fight a bunch of aliens a few seconds ago. Would it not have been better if this was the FIRST shot of an alien? We think Cap's killed Kleiser then... ALIEN! Then there were all kinds of plot holes such as Fury and the entire Super Soldier Project looking for Captain America in the sub (they didn't know Cap would be in ice - at what point did they think Cap's body would remain in a useful state after 60 years of frozen water? Let alone having enough remain so they could pick it up on the scanners?), SHIELD being unable to track down Tony Stark - even though he was in his OWN BUILDING IN HIS OWN BAR, and there's no vibranium, but they can make vibranium bullets which they'll use in machine guns so they can shoot soldiers (who can die by being punched) but not on auto-turrets so they can shoot the ships that are totally invulnerable, that the top-secret blood samples for the Super Soldier Project which are so highly important are protected by - a pad lock, and that they prove vibranium is invulnerable by blasting it with all manner of weapons that are explosive or ricochet - without a blast shield of any kind, in an open room, with everyone 10 feet away - in civilian clothes. Except Iron Man, so he's okay.

It was bollocks, really. Not because it wasn't The Ultimates - but simply because it was childish. Not 'fun for kids', but childish. If this had been live-action, it would've been laughable.

I've refrained from "how it's not the comic" because, frankly, there's enough wrong solely with the movie to not warrant a comparison.

One thing that pisses me off greatly is the Hulk 'fight' at the end - this is the big climactic fight, based on one of the greatest superhero team fights ever - and it feels like the Avengers fighting in someone's back yard. The Chitauri attack was bollocks and even that was more intense. Why was it NOTHING like the trailer?! The trailer actually looked like they just animated "Hulk Does Manhattan" - which is what they should've done.

Seriously - I understand trailers emphasise and exaggerate certain parts of a film, but this is the first time I've seen a film which has nothing to do with the trailer. I thought "no matter how bad it is, at least they'll have that fight at the end" - and they didn't. They essentially, lied.

This thing was bollocks and I'm going to try get my money back.

I love synchronicity.

In this thread, Ourchair mentions how good Justice League Unlimited is.

So, I downloaded half a dozen eps.

I just saw one (picked TOTALLY at random).

It was called Patriot Act.

The premise?

It opens in 1945 as the Nazis create a super soldier serum. Just as they are about to administer it, super hero Spy-Smasher enters, beats them up and takes the serum.

In the present day, General Wade Eiling is worried that there is no super power to stop the Justice League. Superman waltzed into Cadmus (which appears to be a military research programme involving metahuman research) and beat up their 'best men' (I assume, their attempts at metahumans) and he says nothing's to stop him doing it again. It also comes up that the world no longer has nuclear weapons (I assume the Justice League removed them, which is cool). Cadmus has also been shut down, preventing further research in a superhuman defence front. So Eiling takes the Captain Nazi formula and becomes this huge, hulking monstrosity - but retains his intelligence. His goal? Go to Metropolis and beat the **** out of Superman - and thus, save the world.

In Metropolis it's a day where they celebrate heroes - the police, firemen, etc, and Superman. However, Superman is busy saving another universe, so instead Mr Terrific has sent the following heroes in his place - Star, Stripe, Vigilante, Green Arrow, and the Shining Knight. I would like to point out - I've never seen any of these characters before (save Green Arrow) and I think they all rock. A lot. What's important is that none of these heroes has any super powers.

Then Eiling crashes in demanding to fight Superman. Superman doesn't (can't) show, and so he jumps around Metropolis smashing the **** out of all the Justice Leaguers present. They all fall, one by one, completely unable to stop him. Green Arrow finally gets back up - in the form of the Crimson Avenger and Speedy, his ex-sidekick. They get beaten too.

It falls down to the Shining Knight, whose magic sword is the only thing to have actually hurt Eiling.

Eiling bats it away in about two seconds.

And beats the crap out of him.

And as he does, Shining Knight refuses to yield, standing saying how he'll defend every last person in Metropolis before he falls.

Then, the people of Metropolis, moved by the Shining Knight, stand in front of Eiling. Eiling explains he has no problem with the civilians; his problem is with the metahumans, those with super powers.

They point out he's the only one with super powers around here.

Eiling realises that he's lost the moral high ground and says, "You need me to protect you from them. You'll thank me one day." And leaps away.

Now, I know Green Arrow (and Speedy), I know Shining Knight from the Seven Soldiers series (but that Shining Knight is COMPLETELY different), I didn't even know Vigilante's name until the very end, and I know Eiling from Morrison's JLA run (and although he looks the same - his origin and motiviations are completely different).

So that's about nine new characters.

And I like them all.

But look at this for a minute.

20 minute cartoon. Starts in 1945 involving a super soldier serum. The story involves the proliferation and political power of superpowered beings. It involves a team of superheroes (one of whom is a man in a big suit of armour), in a very large, public city, fighting a giant hulking monster with enormous invulnerability and super strength.

You see how "Patriot Act" is actually "The Ultimates" don't you? And you see how it shows up "Ultimate Avengers"?

I love synchronicity.

Last edited:
Bass said:
The thing opens with a very nice shot in the belly of the plane.

Then it kinda goes down hill.

There are all kinds of nonsense and inconsistencies throughout the cartoon.

There were some nice touches such as Hulk not lifting Thor's hammer, Thor being a big brute, Kleiser and Cap fighting on the rocket, Hulk bashing in Iron Man, "SHIELD sucks", Iron Man having a secret identity, using Black Widow to lure Tony Stark (though the gun was stupid), and Banner's view that the Hulk could be a boon to mankind and not a monster.

But too much of it was stupid. When Kleiser gets cut by Cap's shield and he regrows in an alien fashion - all that was pissed away because we'd just seen Cap fight a bunch of aliens a few seconds ago. Would it not have been better if this was the FIRST shot of an alien? We think Cap's killed Kleiser then... ALIEN! Then there were all kinds of plot holes such as Fury and the entire Super Soldier Project looking for Captain America in the sub (they didn't know Cap would be in ice - at what point did they think Cap's body would remain in a useful state after 60 years of frozen water? Let alone having enough remain so they could pick it up on the scanners?), SHIELD being unable to track down Tony Stark - even though he was in his OWN BUILDING IN HIS OWN BAR, and there's no vibranium, but they can make vibranium bullets which they'll use in machine guns so they can shoot soldiers (who can die by being punched) but not on auto-turrets so they can shoot the ships that are totally invulnerable, that the top-secret blood samples for the Super Soldier Project which are so highly important are protected by - a pad lock, and that they prove vibranium is invulnerable by blasting it with all manner of weapons that are explosive or ricochet - without a blast shield of any kind, in an open room, with everyone 10 feet away - in civilian clothes. Except Iron Man, so he's okay.

It was bollocks, really. Not because it wasn't The Ultimates - but simply because it was childish. Not 'fun for kids', but childish. If this had been live-action, it would've been laughable.

I've refrained from "how it's not the comic" because, frankly, there's enough wrong solely with the movie to not warrant a comparison.

One thing that pisses me off greatly is the Hulk 'fight' at the end - this is the big climactic fight, based on one of the greatest superhero team fights ever - and it feels like the Avengers fighting in someone's back yard. The Chitauri attack was bollocks and even that was more intense. Why was it NOTHING like the trailer?! The trailer actually looked like they just animated "Hulk Does Manhattan" - which is what they should've done.

Seriously - I understand trailers emphasise and exaggerate certain parts of a film, but this is the first time I've seen a film which has nothing to do with the trailer. I thought "no matter how bad it is, at least they'll have that fight at the end" - and they didn't. They essentially, lied.

This thing was bollocks and I'm going to try get my money back.
Sounds fun!

Latest posts

Back