Ultimate Avengers discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!

There's only one major problem I had with this. The voices. EVERY voice sucked except two.

Tony (as Tony) was ok. And Fury wasn't bad. The ones I hated the most was Banner, Tony as Iron Man (The WORST one) and Banner as Hulk. BAH! BAH I SAY!!

The animation was pretty good. Since I was watching a bootleg copy, it had "pop up info" bubbles which friggin' got annoying as hell. Most of the stuff was "No really Captain Obvious." kind of things.

Ultimate Avengers: The Movie review (Spoilers)

Ok, have seen the movie. Wow.

For newbies, Ultimate Avengers is based off of The Ultimates, arguably the best Ultimate Marvel book out right now. This movie does a good job of adapting the comic to movie form. The transition isn't perfect, but it's still a solid film.

The movie starts just like the comic did, in 1945 when Captain America assaulted a Nazi installation where they intended to fire a missle at Washington. Captain America succeeds in destroying the missle, but is flung into the sea, where he lay for decades in suspended animation. He is found present day, and thawed out to lead a team of superheroes against an alien threat dating back to the war.

The movie has taken liberties with the comic story in order to suit it into movie form. Most people, like myself, won't mind, but a few diehard Ultimates readers will be irked. In the movie, many of the characters are influenced more by their 616 versions than their Ultimate counterparts. The Hulk for example was the result of Gamma rays, not a failed super soldier serum. Late in the movie, he uses Cap's blood to bring the Hulk under control, which didn't last very long. The greatest liberty was taken with Iron Man. In the Ultimates, he willingly joined the Ultimates and his identity is public knowledge. In Ultimate Avengers, he is much more like 616 Iron Man, as until the middle of the movie, everyone thought Tony Stark and Iron Man were two seperate people. Plus, in the comic, it took an entire team of engineers to keep Iron Man operating. In the movie, Stark operates his armor entirely on his own, just like 616 Iron Man. Not really a big deal, and I think it works better in the context of this movie, but many readers of the comic will be turned off again.

Other 616 influences include the absense of a beard for Thor, (a change I personally prefer) as well as the obviousness of his godhood. In the comic, Mark Millar did a good job of keeping us wondering if Thor was really a god. In the movie, there's no doubt about it, Thor is the Norse God of thunder. Also, his powers are 616 based, as it's his hammer that gives him his powers. This is proven when Hulk tried to lift the hammer, but couldn't. 'Only those worthy can lift the hammer of Thor'. I actually liked this change the most. Other changes are a little more laxed, such as the movie's Hulk doesn't have an insane sex drive or commit acts of cannabilism. This is obviously to make the movie suitable for younger audiences, so this can be forgiven.

The relationship between Hank and Janet Pym is widely different from the comic. Hank is still an ***hole, but he's not the same wife beating lowlife he is in the comic. In this movie, Hank and Janet seem to get along rather well, if not for the occasional spat or two. I dare say that the movie's version of Giant Man is likeable, unlike the comic version.

Other characters, such as Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Captain America however, are the most similar to their comic versions. However, Black Widow seems to be very loyal and trustworthy, unlike her comic version. Plus, in the comic, Steve Rogers and Janet Pym become a couple after she breaks up with Hank. In the movie, it's hinted in the middle and at the end of the movie that there might be a developing relationship between Captain America and Black Widow. And seeing as how I don't see Hank and Janet seperating in a future sequel, this seems like a likely pairing.

Story wise, this movie combines the first and second arcs of the comic. The main villains of the movie are the main villains of arc 2, the Chitauri, an alien race based on The Skrulls from 616. And near the end of the movie, the Avengers faceoff with The Hulk, just like at the end of the first arc.

As far as voice acting goes, it's top-notch. All the characters sound as they should, although I still would've liked Sam Jackson to have voiced Fury. The best voice by far is Black Widow. She sounds excellent and is probably the best voiced of all the characters.

Overall, this movie does a great job of blending two major comic arcs into one story. The story will throw off people that were expecting a perfect comic-to-film transition, but people with an open mind will enjoy and appretiate the changes. Animation wise, this movie is like a cross between anime, and cartoon. I can honestly say that the animation looks as close as Brian Hitch's work as you're gonna get, which is a very good thing.

Final Verdict: I'm just gonna say it, this is a very good animated movie. It does the comic justice without straying too far from the source material. Fans and non-fans alike will find something to love with this movie. The animation is spot on, and readers of the comic will find many scenes to be almost ripped from the comic. All the characters are likeable, and the voice acting is excellent. Unfortunately, fans of the comic will be unhappy with the more 616 than Ultimate aspects of the film. I would be scoring this film higher if they had stuck with the Ultimate variations instead of the 616 ones. Nevertheless, it's a solid film and a very good sign of things to come by Marvel.

Score: 8/10

Last edited:
just saw the movie

ahhh

didn't really like it. It was kinda slow, and took a while for it too pick up. And when it did, it wasn't really worth it.

Maybe I'm a little biased because lately I have been watching a herald of DCAU cartoons (eg JLU) and they blow this movie out off the water. If you don't believe me just watch a couple episodes of JLU (reccommended Cat and Canary, Double Date, Clash)...they speak for themselves. (well most of em)

Just looking at the movie itself (without comparssion) I still didn't really like it. The end fight wasn't as good as it should of been. Didn't really feel the the threat of the Chitari. They probaly should of stuck closer too the Ultimates Vol 1 arc (which I love). I could probaly pick it apart pretty good, but I'm sure other people have already done that.

I guess at the end of the day.....

I really did wanna see that Manhatten fight animated.

dangit

6.5/10

My biggest complaint was with the liberties they took deviating from the comic. Being that this was animated there was no reason it shouldn't follow the comic exactly, and why mess with success? I totally do not get the point of having Betty Ross as a scientist; her role as head of PR was great in the comic. And there were lots of other comic book moments that were sorely missed. Cap's first public unveiling, for one.

Secondly was the voice acting...meh. It wasn't terrible, but Cap's voice just did not fit. WAY too soft. The guy is the ultimate hard-*** soldier, he should sound like it. They should've put Banner's voice on Pym. Fury sounded a little corny.

The animation was very good. Sound effects were great. I had the pleasure of listening to it with my new Bose Triport headphones so that helped. But it really was good.

Overall above average. I did like it and would watch it again.

I really don't get the PG-13 rating; it seemed PG to me, but what do I know.

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Here is the review I wrote on yahoo . . .

What can I say other than I went into this one prejudging and biased to the whole thing. I make my own personal hype for something that I become interested in. The Ultimates comic book, an modern re-telling of the Avengers comic, changed my outlook on comics and dragged me back into collecting. Done in much the same style as Ron Moore has re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, artist Bryan Hitch and writer Mark Millar brought the Avengers into the world of post 9/11 with their gritty, photo-realstic art and writing with drama filled with enough twists and turns to make Kaizer Sozey's (sp!!!) head spin like Linda Blair. The animated movie, called Ultimate Avengers so it had recognition appeal to fans of both books, is the first in a series of direct to DVD animated films from Marvel, adapting material from some of their franchises that haven't made it to the big screen like the Avengers, Iron Man and Doctor Strange. The characters are pretty close to their Ultimates counterparts in appearance, as Hitch's art was used for development. The animation is something better than the 90's X-men and Spider-man cartoons. I regret I was a little dissapointed with the animation at times, but I could forgive the nuances as the story drove the tale anyhow. Screenwriter Greg Johnson made plausible changes to Mark Millar's original story for it to flow better. It could have been longer, yes, but I think it served it's purpose which was to satisfy all of us that want a live action film. The voice acting was fair and as on the level as the art. Hank Pym was the perfect dink and I can picture Skeet Ulrich playing him in a live action version. Again, I digress to mentioning live action in this review of an animated film. Which is what I thought of the whole time I watched it.

Why did they bother with the animated version? This would be a GREAT live action film or - even better - a regular TV series on something like HBO where they could get deep into the characters and their back grounds. Shoot it gritty with hand held cameras and low lighting, like the Shield or Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers. Yes, there are special effects involved that could have a great cost, but take advantage of the low end guys trying to make a name for themselves like the director of Night Watch did. As far as all these people having rights to this and that, fix it. Pay off whomever and do a live action Ultimates. Pull it off in the next 3 years and you'll have great competition with George Lucas and his forthcoming Star Wars TV series . . .

Leather's rating: A- This is a deffinate plus to your collection and all comic book fans should own this.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not listening to any of these reviews. I feel like half of these reviews are actually trying to make this out to be a "serious" movie and trying to tell us how "kewl" it is.

I can't wait to see it, say it was mediocre and good enough as a popcorn flick but definitely not A material. Don't get me wrong I'll like it but there's no chance it's as amazing as you guys are saying.

Me being negative, I could be wrong, but probably not.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm gonna be honest, I'm not listening to any of these reviews. I feel like half of these reviews are actually trying to make this out to be a "serious" movie and trying to tell us how "kewl" it is.

I can't wait to see it, say it was mediocre and good enough as a popcorn flick but definitely not A material. Don't get me wrong I'll like it but there's no chance it's as amazing as you guys are saying.

I'd give it A on animation, but overall? Nah. Maybe like C.

icemastertron said:
I'd give it A on animation, but overall? Nah. Maybe like C.

Same here, though maybe a B- or B overall. Solid stuff. Nothing spectacular.

Yeah, I just watched this. And wow! A lot of movies have pissed me off in my time, but this one takes the cake. This was just utter childish bull****, and not the Ultimates. They took everything that made the Ults great and flushed it down the toilet. I wasn't expecting Hank & Janet's fight but damn...I wasn't expecting this Saturday Morning cartoon crap either. The aliens were crap, Thor was hella crap, the dialogue & voice acting were god aweful crap. I can't wait to see what they do w/ Cat-man err Black Panther & his umm Black Panther(?). O wait! I won't! Cuz this sucked and I'm going to forget that it and its sequel ever ****ing existed.

Last edited:
A:s and B:s for animation?

I don't know what you've been watching up to this point, but it can't have been that nice-looking.

Seriously, the animation is like anything action on the Cartoon Network(not counting anime), except maybe the Powerpuff Girls which runs smoother and looks better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I bought the movie yesterday afternoon, and watched it right when I got back home.

Overall, I was disappointed. I wasn't expecting it to be The Ultimates in animated form, but I was hoping for it to at least feel like The Ultimates.

I'm not regreting the purchase, because I did enjoy the film. However, after seeing the trailer for part 2 that came with the DVD, it makes me think that it was called Ultimate Avengers: The Movie and not The Ultimates: The Movie for a reason....

3 out of 5

Last edited:
Well, it was better than I thought it would be, but thats only because I wasn't very optimistic about it. The animation seemed to get better as the movie went along, the voice acting wasn't impressive at all, the story was lacking, but the music was decent.

And after seeing the preview to the sequel, I'm not very optimistic about that either, after seeing the Black Panther and Wakanda introduced. Looks like this one will stray very far from the comics.

This one gets a 3/5.

TheManWithoutFear said:

Personally....I think you'll "dislike" it. I don't really know you're tastes when it comes to animation....but as far as comics go, I'd have to say you're not gonna like it.

There are some nice nods to both versions (616 and Ultimate)....but to be honest---this was subpar even for straight to DVD.

While I know this wasn't supposed to be "great"...I was still expecting something more from Marvel. Clocking in at 71 minutes this feels more like a Saturday morning ABCFamily series launch than an actual feature. The animation is C grade at best...the voice acting is weak...and while I get the whole appealing to 616 and UU fans it would've been better to just follow the UU book all together. I'm not looking forward to the sequel at all.

I mean even the Superman:TAS premiere was 90 minutes!!!

Seriously......5 outta 10

Last edited:
Greenian said:
didn't really like it. It was kinda slow, and took a while for it too pick up. And when it did, it wasn't really worth it.

Exactly.

Greenian said:
Maybe I'm a little biased because lately I have been watching a herald of DCAU cartoons (eg JLU) and they blow this movie out off the water. If you don't believe me just watch a couple episodes of JLU (reccommended Cat and Canary, Double Date, Clash)...they speak for themselves. (well most of em)

I have just started watching JLU (I've only seen Patriot Act and I Am Legion) and they are amazing. Patriot Act is EXACTLY what Ultimate Avengers should've been.

Greenian said:
I really did wanna see that Manhatten fight animated.

Me too because THAT WAS THE TRAILER.

The trailer is the Manhattan fight.

It isn't the movie.

The trailer is a big, ****ing lie.

The film is a load of crap.

I tried to get my money back and couldn't. :(

Latest posts

Back