Ultimate Avengers discussion !!!SPOILERS!!!

Yeaa.... watched it last night.... was disappointed to say the least. I felt SOOO many ample opportunities, and all of them FAILED. If I could, I would return it. it just sucked to be honest. the animation, the voice acting, all of it, i was so dissapointed...

I find it unbelievable Marvel has yet to do a cartoon series that rivals the worst of the Dini/Timm animated DCU.

There isn't one since the several 60s-70s Spider-Man cartoon series that, in my opinion, is even remotely rewatchable. :(

Ultimate Avengers DVD - neither fish nor fowl, Avengers nor Ultimates. Completely lacking in the political and sociological themes in Ultimates and featuring very watered-down versions of Ultimates characters - hence missing my favorite part of Ultimates and the things that make it unique. On the other hand, it's certainly not an Avengers cartoon, either. It has characters that have been in the Avengers, but none of the feel, tone or history of the Avengers.

The real question is - how does it stand on its own? It's very much an action cartoon, aimed at viewers who have an idea of who the characters are already, with almost zip character development. Nick Fury, Black Widow, The Wasp get almost nothing - well, the Widow gets a bad Russian accent and the Wasp gets a strange little mechanical whizzing sound when she shrinks and flies - that's pretty much the extent of their "characterization." Thor is definitely closer to the 616 version in character history, though he smiteth not and has a thing for Greenpeace. And mead. Tony Stark is very much the 616 version - millionaire playboy who is secretly the Man in the Iron Mask. Cap seems the least like his Ultimates or 616 version, a bit on the youngish side and somewhat unsure of himself. Hank Pym somehow got 616 Hawkeye's personality. Banner/Hulk looks and sounds a younger Lou Reed to me, which was just distracting. I kept wanting him to sing.

The animation is okay, but then I'm probably comparing it to animated big-screen-release movies, which isn't really fair. During the voice actor credits they show the Hitch-drawn versions of the characters, rather than the ones from the cartoon itself, and it makes you longingly wonder "what if..."

The best parts? The "extra bits" interviews with excitable George Perez and calm, dead-pan Kurt Busiek. It's really too bad they couldn't have been in the same room to play off of each other. It made me go read "Morgan Conquest" again... and I'd never noticed before that Perez's Hawkeye is a younger, purpler Kurt Busiek. How wonderful.

comic_geek21 said:
Any particular reason?:???:
A lot of it felt very forced. Like they rushed to get to things because it was only 71 minutes long. The voices were terrible for the characters, save 2, but that didn't help. There was NO reason for this to be PG-13. For God's sake, Star Wars II had someone shown getting their head sliced off and that was PG!!

Rhyo - I totally felt the same way when I saw Hitch's art at the end.

I just thought, "I should've read the comic again, shouldn't I?"

It's a stupid move.

But then - it was a stupid movie.

It has no value at all, in my opinion.

Rhyo said:
The Wasp get almost nothing - well, the Widow gets a bad Russian accent and the Wasp gets a strange little mechanical whizzing sound when she shrinks and flies

She sounded like a snitch from Harry Potter movies.

Animation C+
Story C+
Voice acting C- (Fury was OK, Widow was ok, everyone else? not good)

Best part? Thor clocking the Hulk with Mjolnir and sending him flying through a wall.

I love the Ultimates and the Avengers (My 2 favorite characters *ever* are Cap and Thor) , but an average episode of JLU beats this all to hell, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
Bass said:
There isn't one since the several 60s-70s Spider-Man cartoon series that, in my opinion, is even remotely rewatchable. :(

What about the X-Men cartoon from the early 90s? Easily one of the best.

Dr_Draco said:
What about the X-Men cartoon from the early 90s? Easily one of the best.

Far from it. It was cool when I was younger and got to see all my favorite characters on TV......but even then I knew the show was bollocks.

Have you tried watching it recently? An entire episode consists of Jean moaning "O Scott" like some third rate Scarlet o'Hara......Scott being over dramatic and pausing his words like he's Capt Kirk.......and Wolverine moaning and pining over Jean like he's got bad heroin surging thru his veins. And let us not forget Jubilee spouting every teenage catchphrase short of "Like, gag me with a spoon!".

It sucks so bad now......

Yeah that X-Men cartoon was crap. They replay it on one of the cartoon channels and my son won't watch it, and he loves "X-Mans".

Victor Von Doom said:
Have you tried watching it recently?

Actually, yeah, I have. I watched it when they were running it on Toon Disney. Still enjoyed it. Maybe I just like crap, but if that were the case I probably would've been extremely amazed with Ultimate Avengers :p .

I dunno, but I still think it's good, even after all these years.

Off topic but I've recently watched it on Toon Disney too. And it's a kids cartoon which means for a kids cartoon.... wait.... it's actually good... same thing with Ultimate Avengers. Move to Japan if you want good adult action cartoons.

Last edited:
The only time I ever watched the X-Men toon was just yesterday during THE JUGGERNAUT!

B****.

Oh, and just to steer this thread back on topic, in the new Entertainment Weekly, the Ultimate Avengers DVD got a B. :?

Bass said:
I have just started watching JLU (I've only seen Patriot Act and I Am Legion) and they are amazing. Patriot Act is EXACTLY what Ultimate Avengers should've been.

just wait till you get too the good episodes. Those episodes are actually the ones that suck. hehehehe (well in DCAU standards)

Bass said:
Me too because THAT WAS THE TRAILER.

The trailer is the Manhattan fight.

It isn't the movie.

The trailer is a big, ****ing lie.

The film is a load of crap.

I tried to get my money back and couldn't. :(

Does anyone know where I could download this trailer. I watched the Ultimate Avengers movie at a friends place (thank God I didn't buy it)

and the first teaser trailer was probaly the highlight of the dvd. I mean...if thats the closest I'm gonna get too see the Manhatten fight animated....I want it.

anyone know where I could download it
I'd appreciate it

Thanks

Last edited:
Greenian said:
just wait till you get too the good episodes. Those episodes are actually the ones that suck. hehehehe (well in DCAU standards)

I've seen a few. I didn't care for the two parter of season 5; Alive/Destroyer, but I loved "Flash and Substance" and "The Great Brain Robbery". I think the show rocks.

Can't wait to see the Booster Gold episode or the Warren Ellis one. :D

Ultimate Houde said:
Booster Gold was excellent in that episode.

The Dark Heart (Warren Ellis) was good for the reason that Johnny C. did the voice of atom.

Don't you mean Green Lantern? :wink:

Victor Von Doom said:
Far from it. It was cool when I was younger and got to see all my favorite characters on TV......but even then I knew the show was bollocks.

Have you tried watching it recently? An entire episode consists of Jean moaning "O Scott" like some third rate Scarlet o'Hara......Scott being over dramatic and pausing his words like he's Capt Kirk.......and Wolverine moaning and pining over Jean like he's got bad heroin surging thru his veins. And let us not forget Jubilee spouting every teenage catchphrase short of "Like, gag me with a spoon!".

It sucks so bad now......

The 90's Marvel cartoons have the characters sound like soap opera actors with superpowers. It was also way too wholesome for its own good and lacked originality, with barely no attempt to change the characters. They just got all the popular stories and combined them in succession. It's not horrible, but if you compare it to the Batman and Superman series, they feel severely dated.

cmdrjanjalani said:
The 90's Marvel cartoons have the characters sound like soap opera actors with superpowers. It was also way too wholesome for its own good and lacked originality, with barely no attempt to change the characters. They just got all the popular stories and combined them in succession. It's not horrible, but if you compare it to the Batman and Superman series, they feel severely dated.

Amen brother.

Latest posts

Back