Ultimate Captain America Annual Discussion

Re: Ultimate Captain America Annual Discussion (Preview included)

The art looks good, but Loeb's writing it. Cap's always been my favorite character but I'm going to pass on this one. I'm not getting behind anything Loeb's doing right now, except Heroes.

Other than that, I'm not spending my money on any of his books until he learns how to properly portray a character again.

This actually looks really cool. I know Loeb's reputation with the UU now, but this looks like it could be interesting.

I guess there are no villains in this issue, that's a shame, I wouldn't mind seeing more Ultimate versions of some Cap villains, I liked Ultimate Zola. I wouldn't mind seeing an Ultimate version of Zemo.

I guess there are no villains in this issue, that's a shame, I wouldn't mind seeing more Ultimate versions of some Cap villains, I liked Ultimate Zola. I wouldn't mind seeing an Ultimate version of Zemo.

Hey, that preview doesn't mean that there's no villain. It means that we may have a throw-away character in this story and we all now that Loeb is good at throwing away characters.

Hey, that preview doesn't mean that there's no villain. It means that we may have a throw-away character in this story and we all now that Loeb is good at throwing away characters.

I hope Zemo wouldn't be a throwaway character, there are already too many of those in the UU. That's what Batroc is for.

I hope Zemo wouldn't be a throwaway character, there are already too many of those in the UU. That's what Batroc is for.

We can only hope for Batroc...

It's not as bad as Ultimates 3, but it's flat-out pointless. I don't even feel like describing it, because, while it's at least semi-coherent, it brings NO importance to Cap's dressing as Black Panther.

I guess I will, in as short as I can:

Fury has Cap train Black Panther, to be put on the Ultimates.
Fury lies to Cap about Black Panther's origins
Cap finds out
Helps Black Panther return home to Wakanda.
Cap pretends to be Panther. Because he doesn't trust Fury. But if it's just before Ultimates 3, Fury's already gone. So it's a non-issue. But why would it be an issue anyway? It's not like Fury's EVEN IN COMMAND OF THE ULTIMATES AT THE TIME BECAUSE ALL THESE EVENTS HAPPEN AFTER ULTIMATES 2.

Tepid writing (one caption reads: "The Sunday before Monday.")
At one point, Captain America says "I'd like to smack that FACE right off your FACE."

It still reeks of the "COOL SO EXTREME!" stuff.
The recap page:

"HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED IN ULTIMATES 3!
CAP...
...ISN'T CAP!
BLACK PANTHER IS CAP?! (pic from U3 of Cap ripping off the mask)
WHAT THE @#$% IS GOING ON?
(caption from pic of cap) HEY. WATCH THAT LANGUAGE MISTER!
KEEP READING!

Jesus.

In a way, this is a lot of what was probably contained in Ultimates 3 before it was shortened from 6 issues to 5.
Not that this is necessarily a good thing.

well i have read ultimates 3, but obvo this issue takes place before the end of ultimates 2.
They only reasoning i can find for Cap to wear the black panther costume is because he was hiding from ultron. but taht still amkes less sense.

"Less dumb than Ultimates 3"

There.

My review is as vacuous as Ultimates 3.

well i have read ultimates 3, but obvo this issue takes place before the end of ultimates 2.

No it doesn't. It takes place AFTER Ultimates 2. Hence Fury and Cap referencing Cap being thought a traitor in Ultimates 2, and the background events of the Ultimates being set up independant from SHIELD (Tony setting them up in his mansion, Jan/Wasp taking the position as the leader of the team, Hank Pym being released from the Triskelion and being kept under house arrest at the mansion, etc). There's no doubt this tale (the "Training Day" portion) takes place between Ultimates 2 and 3.

well that was about as interesting as a Secret Invasion tie-in

I read it. It did not suck as much as Ultimates 3. Hope might still be alive that Ultimatum will not suck as much as this. But Supreme Power/Ultimates 3 still paints a lot of stinkage of Loeb in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Except Baltroc is capable of being a badass.

....I liked it.
Oh, thank God I'm not the only one. Loeb's best Ultimate book... which is saying nothing at all, but it was actually an okay book.

From a storyline perspective, the lack of a good explination for Cap going incognito was annoying, but my main gripe was Fury yet again being a jackarse for no reason. What purpose did forbidding T'Challa from going to Wakanda serve exactly?

From a presentation perspective, the major flaw was that God awful recap page. "WHAT THE @#$%?" indeed. I'm really hoping the "Hey. Watch the language, mister" line was a tongue-in-cheek in-joke about how terrible that line was. Actually, I'm hoping that entire page was an in-joke about how terrible Ultimates 3 was.

Last edited:
It was completely atrocious. No redeeming factor except for the awesome art in the first part.

I do admit that Black Panther's origin would be better in more capable hands.

....I liked it.

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one. Loeb's best Ultimate book... which is saying nothing at all, but it was actually an okay book.

From a storyline perspective, the lack of a good explination for Cap going incognito was annoying, but my main gripe was Fury yet again being a jackarse for no reason. What purpose did forbidding T'Challa from going to Wakanda serve exactly?

From a presentation perspective, the major flaw was that God awful recap page. "WHAT THE @#$%?" indeed. I'm really hoping the "Hey. Watch the language, mister" line was a tongue-in-cheek in-joke about how terrible that line was. Actually, I'm hoping that entire page was an in-joke about how terrible Ultimates 3 was.

I agree that out of all the Ultimate books Loeb has done this probable was the best. But it could have been better.

It was completely atrocious. No redeeming factor except for the awesome art in the first part.

I do admit that Black Panther's origin would be better in more capable hands.

Agree, both with the art and the more capable hands parts.

Latest posts

Back