Ultimate Captains

Bass said:
You're completely right. Hitllar have been responsible for every issue of the Ultimates to date, and had the story mapped out two years in advance, but when they say where the Union got their powers, they're wrong. You're right, they're wrong.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that we care about your snotty remarks. Comic writers have been lying and misleading the readership probably since the beginning of time. Interestingly enough, running a search of Millarworld posts by Mark Millar with the word 'Union' in them brings up a whopping one post, explaining where the names of the foreign captains came from. And a whopping one post from Bryan Hitch as well, confirming that the group is called The Union. Also interesting is that the Millar or Hitch confirmation you claim you have is not present in any interview linked to from this site's news page, nor have I been able to find it on Google.

EDIT: While searching Millarworld for any proof of what you said, I thought it was interesting that Millar points out Issue #4 of Ultimates Vol. 1. When Banner and Fury are trying to recruit Thor, and Banner is gesturing with the folder, you can see Loki in the background. o_O

jtg3885 said:
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that we care about your snotty remarks.

Are you sure this isn't a copy and paste from someone responding to one of your posts?

jtg3885 said:
Interestingly enough, running a search of Millarworld posts by Mark Millar with the word 'Union' in them brings up a whopping one post, explaining where the names of the foreign captains came from. And a whopping one post from Bryan Hitch as well, confirming that the group is called The Union. Also interesting is that the Millar or Hitch confirmation you claim you have is not present in any interview linked to from this site's news page, nor have I been able to find it on Google.

Interestingly enough, you didn't look hard enough.

Mark Millar said:
Cap is really the only one with something close to INNATE powers. Black Widow has some enhancements, but nothing close to Cap. Iron Man and the EU guys, etc, are all based around their costumes.

It's right here.

Seriously, I'd rather their powers come from outside sources. I mean the world opinion on mutants isn't exactly on the up and up and if it doesn't come from their suits then you're going to have to tell a whole damn story that is way too time consuming and as much as you guys love The Union, they're not that important. So either they're powers come from their suits or other technological advancements and we know that or they have powers that come from within themselves and it will NEVER be explored and we'll never know about it anyway.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Seriously, I'd rather their powers come from outside sources. I mean the world opinion on mutants isn't exactly on the up and up and if it doesn't come from their suits then you're going to have to tell a whole damn story that is way too time consuming and as much as you guys love The Union, they're not that important. So either they're powers come from their suits or other technological advancements and we know that or they have powers that come from within themselves and it will NEVER be explored and we'll never know about it anyway.
I'm just thinking of it from the tactical standpoint. Look at 616, where Pym's Ant Man and Yellowjacket tech were stolen by other users. Especially after the Thor Incident, would you really want your super-soldiers' powers to be based in something that could be taken off and stolen?

Bass said:
An IUGM would be...?
Illegal, Unnatural Genetic Mutation. Spider-Man, Green Goblin, Electro, Kraven, etc. Although the Illegal status is debatable, I think. I'll need to check UIM #1 when it gets here. Or maybe we'll have to wait until later in the series.

Last edited:
jtg3885 said:
Illegal, Unnatural Genetic Mutation. Spider-Man, Green Goblin, Electro, Kraven, etc. Although the Illegal status is debatable, I think. I'll need to check UIM #1 when it gets here. Or maybe we'll have to wait until later in the series.

Ah, of course. But unlike Card who is coming along and adding to an existing character (UIM), this is the creators of a set of characters (The Union) telling us information about them that is currently not revealed in the comic. UIM is not Card's character. The Union is Hitllars'. I don't see how this goes against what I was saying in regards to Millar's comments.

Bass said:
Ah, of course. But unlike Card who is coming along and adding to an existing character (UIM), this is the creators of a set of characters (The Union) telling us information about them that is currently not revealed in the comic. UIM is not Card's character. The Union is Hitllars'. I don't see how this goes against what I was saying in regards to Millar's comments.
Because Millar specifically states that Stark draws his abilities from the costume, but we now know that what he said is not the truth. Ergo, anything not SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the comics is fair game for reinterpretation or elimination as the other writers see fit.

As I've previously stated, until the suits are specifically mentioned IN the comics as being the source of the powers, I won't count it as being the canon reason behind the powers.

Also, in Ultimates 2 #4, Brian Braddock specifically states that he designed his 'exo-suit'. He doesn't particularly strike me as the scientific type...

jtg3885 said:
Because Millar specifically states that Stark draws his abilities from the costume, but we now know that what he said is not the truth.

He has two distinct and unrelated "abilities" - vast knowledge/intelligence, and those performed by the suit.

jtg3885 said:
Because Millar specifically states that Stark draws his abilities from the costume, but we now know that what he said is not the truth. Ergo, anything not SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the comics is fair game for reinterpretation or elimination as the other writers see fit.

As I've previously stated, until the suits are specifically mentioned IN the comics as being the source of the powers, I won't count it as being the canon reason behind the powers.

Ah, that is a fair point, except Millar is not 'another' writer, he is the creator of these guys; This is why I've always said Hitllar should reveal Thor's origin. Better they do it than some other guy comes along and says he's a mutant.

But now I realise this discussion is about "what constitues as canon", which is a different matter and that is a remarkably silly thing to discuss (since it's completely down to whoever's in charge at the moment), thus rendering this moot.

Regarding Brian, when he says he designed the suit, he is joking by claiming his father didn't, just that he's ugly enough to look like he did.

Bass said:
Regarding Brian, when he says he designed the suit, he is joking by claiming his father didn't, just that he's ugly enough to look like he did.
Take it however you want, but for once in this conversation, we're actually discussing the comic. Brian says HE designed his own exo-suit. Take it however you want.

jtg3885 said:
Take it however you want, but for once in this conversation, we're actually discussing the comic. Brian says HE designed his own exo-suit. Take it however you want.

I took that as meaning Brian designed the look, and hs dad handled the functionality.

so is everyone saying that they get there powers from the suits or outside sources. i don't understand

fantomex said:
so is everyone saying that they get there powers from the suits or outside sources. i don't understand
Supposedly from the suits, according to Millar. I don't buy it for a number of reasons, and nobody seems to remember that Marvel's workers don't sign a contract promising to always tell the truth when fans ask for info.

Nick Fury said:
"...he's as big a name in bio-engineering as Bruce Banner was back home"
Another thing to think of... Sir James Braddock is compared to Bruce Banner. Yes, Bruce did a little work on Ultron, I believe it was, but he was primarily known for his work on the super-soldier serum. If the suits were the source of the powers, and Braddock was still behind them, wouldn't have been compared to say, Hank Pym? Maybe even Otto Octavius? The arms or the Ant-Man helmet are closer to bio-mechanical suits than Bruce's Hulk compound or the American Super-Soldier Serum.

jtg3885 said:
Supposedly from the suits, according to Millar. I don't buy it for a number of reasons, and nobody seems to remember that Marvel's workers don't sign a contract promising to always tell the truth when fans ask for info.
thank you. for once there is someone willing to think outside the norm.
cause i think that it all has to do with cap's blood. they could be taking some and putting it in the other captains to power them. what do you think jtg3885

fantomex said:
thank you. for once there is someone willing to think outside the norm.
cause i think that it all has to do with cap's blood. they could be taking some and putting it in the other captains to power them. what do you think jtg3885
I doubt it's that simple, or else S.H.I.E.L.D. would have done it. I still think that the Europeans developed not a single Super-Soldier Serum, but a number of compounds. Flight serum, strength serum, etc. Segmenting things like that would have made it a lot easier to research and produce than trying to make one giant compound. I'm really surprised nobody in the writing department of Marvel has thought of that, and passed that thought on into the comics. Hell, even the Soviets managed super-soldiers like Natasha and the freaks in Ult. Nightmare. Hell, the Soviets had five programs that we know about working on supers.

jtg3885 said:
I doubt it's that simple, or else S.H.I.E.L.D. would have done it. I still think that the Europeans developed not a single Super-Soldier Serum, but a number of compounds. Flight serum, strength serum, etc. Segmenting things like that would have made it a lot easier to research and produce than trying to make one giant compound. I'm really surprised nobody in the writing department of Marvel has thought of that, and passed that thought on into the comics.

You know what's even crazier about that. It was my theory as to how Ultimate Daredevil got his powers... but that never came to light because my fanfic was cancelled. Damn consumers...

Oh well, to the baseless speculations and ideas I go...

Latest posts

Back