Ultimate Casting

Well, I hate to sound corny, but a lot of people will tell you that Peter Parker breathed human life into a comic character... He's a character that a lot of people can relate to and the struggles that he faces are very real. I may not be swinging around fighting goblins, however, I have faced stuff with girlfriends, etc. that he's going through in the pages of USM. That's what I am saying when I say that I put myself into the comics.

There aren't many child stars out there that could fit a role like this, you know? I'm drawing a lot of blanks, here.

Ultimate Spiderman Vol. 1 (I don't have my issues with me right now. My cousin took them to philly with him :evil: . Anyway if I'm missing anyone important let me know.)
Spiderman/Peter Parker
Aunt May
Uncle Ben
Mary Jane Watson
Flash Thompson
Kong
Liz Allen
Norman Osborne
Harry Osborne
Shaw
Norman's Assistant
Doctor Octavius

Steve Rogers/Captain America = Neal McDonough (the perfect Cap, in my opinion)
Thor = Brad Pitt (I mean, the similarities are almost as remarkable as Fury / Jackson in some parts)
Tony Stark/Iron Man = James Caviezel
Hank Pym/Giant Man = Val Kilmer (again, striking similarites)
Janet Pym/Wasp = Bah, drawing a blank... I'll have to think about it.
Bruce Banner/Hulk = Steve Buscemi (only because of that conversation in the first arc... still would be good I think)
Natasha Romanov/Black Widow = Uma Thurman
Clint Barton/Hawkeye = Guy Pearce
Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver = Me? (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1686283/). Alright, alright, I know, wishful thinking. How about...damn... drawing a blank on this one too.
Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch = Jena Malone
Nick Fury = Samuel L. Jackson (Of course)
Betty Ross = Tea Leoni

Ok yeah, that's who I'd go with. Man... I should just forget this acting thing and become a casting director...I mean... if I could just figure out those last two. Still, I mean, this is just... you know... a dream. Totally. Would never happen. You'd spend more money on the casting than you would on the entire film.

Still would rock though. You might be able to grab a few big names (Sam Jackson, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer and James Caviezel MAYBE) and have to go with unkowns for the rest... except Neal McDonough, you HAVE to have him as Captain America, he's just too perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a lot of other member's suggestions, but here's my list:

Captain America - Brad Pitt
Tony Stark/Iron Man - Johnny Depp
Thor - Viggo Mortensen
Hank Pym/Giant Man - Val Kilmer
Janet Pym/Wasp - Lucy Liu
Bruce Banner/Hulk - Steve Buscemi
Natasha Romanov/Black Widow - Angelina Jolie
Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Jason Statham
Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Ethan Hawke
Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Erica Durance
Nick Fury - Samuel L. Jackson
Betty Ross - Jennifer Connelly

:roll: I know I got a lot of punishment coming from the Comic Gods for the choices I'm about to make but........

Captain America - Brad Pitt (he's got the build and the chin...plus since his character is so one-dimensional, you don't need a whole lot of range)

Tony Stark/Iron Man - Colin Ferrell (not exactly the obvious choice....but anyone can put on a suit and do the role....but think of his character in Phone Booth....only lighter and mixed with a drunk)

Thor - Viggo Mortensen (I know a lot of people wanted Brad Pitt...but I've been thinking the same thing DIrishB said---Viggo has the part down)

Hank Pym/Giant Man - Val Kilmer (he's old and neurotic enough to play the part)

Janet Pym/Wasp - Lucy Liu (duh.......)

Bruce Banner/Hulk - Eric Bana (screw the rest of the world----Hulk was awesome. It captured the feeling of the comic so well...plus Bana's a great actor anyways so.....)

Natasha Romanov/Black Widow - Rebecca Romain (only because I despise Jolie......)

Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Jason Statham

Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Ryan Reynolds (his pompusness makes him perfect....)

Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch- Uma (when I see Wanda...I see a tall semi-lanky woman I wouldn't even think of as cute....so naturally I thought of Uma........as a brunnette of course...)

Nick Fury - Samuel L. Jackson (any other choice is treason)

Betty Ross - Jennifer Aniston

Boondock Jew said:
Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver = Me? (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1686283/). Alright, alright, I know, wishful thinking. How about...damn... drawing a blank on this one too.

YOU WERE IN A MOVIE WITH CHRISTIAN BALE?!

Why the **** didn't anybody point this out before...

Or why haven't -you- brought it up?

Or why wasn't I paying attention?

I picked a relatively low-key cast, in terms of 'star factor'. For once, I won't bother explaining or justifying my choices. I'd post comparison pics but i'm lazy. Just look at the IMDB Profiles linked, if they're not immediately familiar to you.

THE ULTIMATES

Captain America - Billy Crudup

Tony Stark/Iron Man - Justin Theroux

Thor - Jared Leto

Hank Pym/Giant Man - Vincent D'Onofrio

Janet Pym/Wasp - Shannyn Sossamon or Sydney Penny

Bruce Banner/Hulk - Marc Ruffalo

Natasha Romanov/Black Widow - Monica Bellucci

Clint Barton/Hawkeye - Tate Donovan

Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Michael Pitt

Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch - Asia Argento

Nick Fury - Djimon Hounsou

Betty Ross - Charisma Carpenter

Jarvis - Jim Broadbent

THE VILLAINS

"Red Skull" - Naveen Andrews

Kleiser - Gary Oldman

Dr.Strangefate said:
Delete the ) at the end of the link...

Gotcha!!

Cool beans Boondock! I just saw a report on this movie a few days ago on TV. The girl who playes Pocahontas is only like 15, which had to be kind of creepy with the love scenes (I'm sure there are some) with 30-something year old Colin Farrell. Tell me, were you the one who got him addicted to prescription pain-killers on-set? Would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
compound said:
I picked a relatively low-key cast, in terms of 'star factor'. For once, I won't bother explaining or justifying my choices. I'd post comparison pics but i'm lazy. Just look at the IMDB Profiles linked, if they're not immediately familiar to you.

THE ULTIMATES

Captain America - Billy Crudup

Tony Stark/Iron Man - Justin Theroux

Thor - Jared Leto

Hank Pym/Giant Man - Vincent D'Onofrio

Janet Pym/Wasp - Shannyn Sossamon or Sydney Penny

Bruce Banner/Hulk - Marc Ruffalo

Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver - Michael Pitt

Nick Fury - Djimon Hounsou

Betty Ross - Charisma Carpenter

Jarvis - Jim Broadbent

THE VILLAINS

"Red Skull" - Naveen Andrews

Kleiser - Gary Oldman
Wow... just wow... (not meant in a good way.) I'll give you Janet and a somewhat interesting Betty but :sick: I would have to disagree with a lot of those.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wow... just wow... (not meant in a good way.) I'll give you Janet and a somewhat interesting Betty but :sick: I would have to disagree with a lot of those.
You know, you could try explaining your disgust.

compound said:
I picked a relatively low-key cast, in terms of 'star factor'. For once, I won't bother explaining or justifying my choices. I'd
Allow me. I can't say I agree with all your choices, but I can see some of the logic.

THE ULTIMATES

compound said:
I find that nothing Leto has done fits Thor to a tee, but when you add up the different components of his roles, he seems capable enough.

As a vacantly bored teen hottie from My So-Called Life and a well-intentioned drug addict who doesn't know how to properly care for his mother in Requiem for a Dream gives him the soul necessary to play Thor at a point when the Norse God's dignity is at its lowest. And as a macho nihilist pretty boy from Fight Club, he is capable of summoning the intensity required to channel the rage of a thunder god at the height of his moral outrage.

Interestingly enough, many of Leto's roles feature some form of disfigurement. In Requiem For a Dream, his arm becomes infected and is amputated, his face is beaten beyond recognition in Fight Club and in Panic Room he is badly burned. As Thor, Leto could add having his hair burned off to his resume of cinematic disfigurement.

compound said:
Color me stupid, but Sossamon has the perfect to pull off the fragile vulnerability required to make her a convincing draw for Steve Rogers AND fits the visual expectations of someone who suffers and tolerates physical abuse. Hell, she's even thin enough to look like she went through a self-loathing anorexic phase in her youth.

compound said:
Monica Bellucci is what I call sexually appealing European exoticism at a budget price. She may not be Russian, but then again in Hollywood, it hardly matters.

compound said:
Clint Barton is an interesting mix of down-to-earth American charm and soft-spoken cunning, and Tate Donovan has the likeable aw-shucks charisma and intelligent looks to pull that off.

compound said:
Asia Argento is a perfect choice. I haven't seen XXX, but if I haven't heard wrong she's not half bad at being a convincing black ops-level badass either. Argento's self-marketed persona also has a certain Ellis-girl vibe going that makes the mix of European snobbery and incestuous hijinks in the character entirely plausible for her.

compound said:
I suspect that compound is basing this choice on Djimon's role in The Island. Can't say I'm totally for it, but I wouldn't complain if Hounsou were indeed cast as SHIELD's director. His only hurdle is that he doesn't really speak with an American accent, but like THAT's a problem.

Don't forget Hounsou has the marketable glamour of being an Academy Award nominee. Academy Award nominees look best when they show up at the end of the credits list of a trailer: "Starring Billy Crudup, Justin Theroux AND Academy Award-nominee Djimon Hounsou as General Fury"

Also, Hounsou seems comfortable enough working in big budget action pieces whether they involve sword-swinging savagery like in Gladiator or modern day gun-toting ballistic ballets like Tomb Raider.

compound said:
At first glance, I too thought this was a silly choice, but Carpenter has proven that her generic good looks and FHM sex appeal tend to obscure the peculiarites of the characters she plays: skeezy opportunists who aren't above manipulating people, but at the same time reveal moments of vulnerability and humanity (which Joss Whedon exploited fully in his Buffyverse).

compound said:
Broadbent has cornered the market on fidgety and flamboyent British men with a huffy temper in films like Moulin Rouge. He's a logical if somewhat typecaste choice.

Latest posts

Back