Ultimate Central TPB

Chapter 73 (Pluto or Bust)

A darkened room, the Red Moon's light reflecting off of a mirror.

A shadowy figure, putting on a costume.

A stretch of a wire, the sound of whining forms of electricity.

The figure, stands in front of the mirror, his reflection shadowed.

Blue electricity runs wild over his glove gauntlets, an invention of his own to channel electricity. His Mohawk is visible in these flashes of light, along with his face. The man smiles, wolflike.

Man: Let's do this.

Suddenly, the gloves short circuit, sending electricity flying wildly across the room, and causing the mirror to shatter.

Man: AW MAN!
Man's Mother: DAMMIT MOLE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP THERE!
Man: MOM! I PAY RENT! LEAVE ME ALONE!
Man's Mother: DINNER IS ON IN FIVE! DON'T MISS IT!
Man: BUT MOM!
Man's Mother: NO BUT'S MISTER!
Man: FINE, BUT I'M WEARING MY COSTUME!
Man's Mother: NO!
Man: AW MOM!

The man left the room, discarding his glove gauntlets. In the shards of the broken mirror, a hand reaches out, and grabs the gauntlets.

Person: Well, he's in, though I don't know why we need him.

A Pause.

Person: Oh, well, if it's those two then he would be perfect, wouldn't he?

The person adjusts his tophat, tosses the gauntlet to the floor, and then jumps out the second story window into the clear night.

Later & Elsewhere

TGO: Darn it to heck! Listen, I told you to go and blow up the vault, why didn't you listen to me?
Curly:Cause I'm too big for the vault?
TGO: We need money, and for that, we need to rob the vault!
Curly: I forgot why we needed money.
TGO: Curly, for someone who is entirely made up of gold, you are stupid.
Curly: Yeah, well, so's your face.
TGO: Whatever. We need to the money to make a spaceship, to get to Bass Lak Tus' corpse, to revive his ***.
Curly: Oh….did you already answer the question to why we don't steal our own spaceship?
TGO: Cause that's tacky. NOW! TIME TO…

Before TGO could finish his proclamation, he got punched in the face.

Plutoorbust73.jpg

~ NURHACHI & DR. STRANGEFATE PRESENT ~
ULTIMATE CENTRAL
THE FANFIC

Pluto or Bust!

Volume 10, Issue 73, By Ultimate Houde

TGO: Who dares punch the greatest face in the universe?

Two people stood in front of the bank. One of them was wearing a red shirt, jeans shorts, and a straw hat. He had a huge smile on his face. The other was a figure, tall, muscular, and have a scarred face. The one in the straw hat talked first.

Lynx: The name is Lynx, and my friend here is Method, and we don't like unregistered losers like yourselves roaming the planet of the Emperor.
TGO: Tell the Emperor the Thee Great One is going to kick his ***.
Lynx: Like he gives two ****s about you.
Curly: Um, are they part of our plan?
Lynx: Oh, the stupid one speaks?
Curly: I'm not stupid.
Lynx: Sure your not. And my friend here isn't stronger than you. Not like I would need him to take you out though. Should have stuck working in that Hawaiian restaurant. At least you wouldn't have gotten your golden shiny *** handed to you.
TGO Curly, show these new freaks some manners.

Curly charged the two E-men. Lynx threw his fist backwards, and it stretched to incredible proportions, and then came flying towards Curly at high speeds. It impacted with Curly's punch, the two of them cancelling each other out. Curly then got hit backwards as Method flew up and punch him in the face. Curly fell, landing on top of TGO.

Method: Don't worry populace, these two fools are prisoners of us, and they will be imprisoned.

The gathering crowd cheered the E-Men.

Another voice rang out from the crowd.

Man: Really? I don't think you are the good guys here.
Method: Oh, and you may be?

The man jumped out of the crowd. Well, he more stumbled out, and fell backwards as his trench coat got caught. He fell on his ***, and his costume revealed. He was covered head to toe in Spandex, he had gauntlets on, and somehow, his eyes were squinting in his mask which covered his face, but not his awesome Mohawk.

Random Onlooker: That guy has an AWESOME Mohawk!
Mole: The name is Mole, and I'm going to defeat the two of you!

The two E-Men looked at him, and started to laugh.

Mole: What's so funny? I got this awesome electrical suit and stuff!

They continued to laugh.

Mole: That's it, I'm taking you two down!

His suit began to emit a yellow glow, expanding outwards in a circle. At the same time, from beneath Curly, TGO also began to glow in preparation to explode. The two energies mixed, the electrical powers combining with the explosion powers. The circle expanded further, blocking the view from outside to what was happening inside.

Method: This could be serious.
Lynx: I'll go check it out.
Method: According to my analysis, there is a high amount of electrical powers being tossed around inside that thing.
Lynx: I'm rubber, I don't care about that.

Lynx then jumped into the circle fearlessly.

The moment he entered, the circle imploded with a popping sound.

The dust settled in seconds, and Method frowned. Lynx wasn't in there at all.

Method: This is unfortunate. I must go talk to Professor Houdenmeyer about this.

Elsewhere

Somewhere

Hopefully not over a rainbow, cause that's stupid

And probably copyrighted by Disney. Asshats. Anyways…..

Elsewhere.

A small rocky ice dwarf planet floating through the solar system, which use to be known as Pluto, didn't have much in the way of scenery. The former planet was nothing but ice, rock, and now had a population of five.

Yes, five.

The fifth person will be revealed.

Anyways, a bright light appeared on the surface of Pluto, and probably would cause astronomers to ***** about what it meant for several decades, until finally they have a convention, and the ones that care vote, and huzzah, more *****ing.

See the parallel?

Anyways, the dwarf planet's surface.

Bright light, and several beings fall out.

TGO: What happened?
Mole: Oh man! This is not going well!
Lynx: Where the hell did you take me?
Mole: I don't know! Our energy must have been crossed.
Curly: I don't think the beams are suppose to be crossed…..
Mole: And somehow, we ended up here.
Lynx: And where is here, exactly?

A voice spoke up from nearby.

Voice: Pluto. Now do you mind, I hate when people show up here uninvited, and then try to sell me ****. I just want to read my comics, and be alone. And talk to myself about comics and all that.
TGO: WHOA! There's someone else here on Pluto. I figured out we are on Pluto, because I'm the smartness.
Curly: He is.
Voice: For UC sake! You two are here? Man, you end up on the most unforsaken place in the universe, this floating piece of rock…
Lynx: Actually Pluto is a planet.
Voice: No it isn't. They had a vote or something, didn't they?
Lynx: THAT WAS NOT THE MAJORITY!
Voice: Whatever newb, I'm going to go over to the other side of this planet. You jokes go fight yourselves and whatever.
TGO: That voice knew of me? Maybe I had sex with it? I should probably go tell it about my crab infestation.
Lynx: Whatever, HOW DID WE END UP HERE!
Mole: I think I have an explanation.
Curly: Can I suggest something other than spandex for your next costume, seriously, your current costume may be too much.
Mole: Ah, well, anyways, I think my electrical powers, which are AWESOME!!!!, mixed with TGO's explosive powers, resulting in the spatial disturbance we find ourselves in.
Lynx: Fine, you two bring us back, and I'll arrest the lot of you.
TGO: Hmmm, I like this new cat …
Mole: Mole
Curly: Wombat.
TGO: Duck
Mole: No, my name is Mole.
Lynx: This lunacy needs to stop! I want to get off this planet!
Voice: DWARF PLANET!
Lynx: SHUTTUP! I THOUGHT YOU WENT TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET!
Voice: DWARF PLANET! AND I DID, STUPID SUPERPOWERS! GET OFF MY LAWN YOU ****ING NEWBS!
TGO: I concur, Kangaroo, welcome to the Interweb Vikings. Shall we return?

Mole, reaching into his suit, pulled out a device, and tossed it behind him.

Mole: Just the regulator, alright, let's power up guys!

Mole charged up his suit, and TGO went to explode. The energies touched….

BOING

Lynx looked at the street he was on, which was devoid of the Interweb Vikings. Method landed next to him.

Method: What happened?
Lynx: We were teleported onto the planet Pluto, and they teleported us back, but I have no idea where they are now….
Method: Wait, I thought Pluto wasn't a planet anymore.
Lynx: SHUT YOUR FACE!

Elsewhere.

Not Pluto

In case you were wondering.

Mole, TGO and Curly sat on a beach, soaking up the sun, laughing.

Mole: You guys are awesome!
TGO: Of course we are.
Curly: So guys, what are we going to do tonight?
TGO: What we do every night……TRY TO WAKE UP BASS!

A pause.

Mole: Why are you trying to wake up fish?

Epilogue

The device on Pluto blinked a few times, before coming on.

Person: Hello? Hello?

The owner of the strange voice walked over. He was wearing red clothes, torn up, and a cloth blindfold that flapped in unseen wind. He bent over, and picked up the device.

Voice: Well well, I guess this means the vacation is over soon, huh Old Man.
Person: We are working on it.
Voice: So that guy was yours huh?
Person: Oh yes, it was one organization we didn't have someone in, and now we do. Funny, we even called him Mole.

The two people laughed.

Chapter 74 (The Divine Comedy Part 1: Inferno)

The Castle

It was time. The spells were cracking and Goodwill could feel it in his bones. He threw himself against the bars of his cell and passed through them with little resistance. The castle walls shook and he felt that it was plummeting. The sensation was paralyzing. He gripped the wall and began to pray

DR. STRANGEFATE: Well, that certainly won't help you here.

The voice was in his head, but there was no sign of the "Good" Doctor.

GOODWILL: Get out of my—

DR. STRANGEFATE: Brace yourself.

The Castle hit the ground. Burning dust swirled in the air like hot ash, and the walls began to crumble around Goodwill. He felt his right arm bend and snap where there were no joints. He screamed as he has screamed so many times before in this horrible place, and came to realize that somehow everything had just become so much worse. A hole in the walls of the tower looked down upon a giant red desert under hopelessly grey skies. In the distance there were fires that looked the size of forests. Something had gone wrong. He knew this. Hell was real, and the Dark Doctor had brought him there.

The pain in his arm was overwhelming. He felt the embrace of cold shadow before passing out.

Dr.Strangefate has spent his life seeking ultimate power. He rose from the ranks of a third-rate team of supervillains to take charge and lead them to a new tomorrow. He stole the reality altering powers of the divine entity Lil Kis, and drank the blood of the angel Caduceus to secure his position as the most powerful being in the universe. His goals are clear. He will not rest until he is seated on the Throne of Heaven as Lord of the Cosmos.

Several months ago, an unknown entity within the organization known as 616 Central unleashed a nigh-omnipotent Doomwurm to dispose of the Divinely Damned Doctor Strangefate. Losing the battle, Strangefate had no choice but to pull the creature, his castle, and all inside into the eternal pits of Hell.

UC74.jpg

Cover Art by Skotti. Original Art Here.

~ NURHACHI & DR.STRANGEFATE PRESENT ~
ULTIMATE CENTRAL
THE FANFIC

Inferno

Volume 10, Issue 74,
By Dr.Strangefate

The Desert of the Damned

To describe walking through the endless red sand deserts of Hell, one would be hard pressed not to draw comparisons to the act of walking across burning coals. One who walks in the desolate darkness can feel the skin boiling off his feet, stripped naked by the torrential winds that offer no sweet relief to the damned. These dark souls are eternally exhausted, but cannot stop walking, because to stop and sit is to irrevocably scar your torso with the deadly sands.

One man, newly damned to wander the darkness, had already gone mad with the utter silence of this realm. His throat was numbed by the harsh air, and he gasped violently to breathe. He had spent a week screaming, once, just to see whether anything, man or demon, would come to see his pain. No one had. He barely remembered his life before, his sins long forgotten. All he knew was pain. Pain and silence. It was a shock then, to hear a shuffling coming behind the ridge of the nearest sand dune. The man paused a moment, mid-step. A poor decision, the increased weight on his foot buried it in the sand, and he did what he could to stifle his screams. Sure enough, there was someone beyond the ridge, he could swear that he heard mumbling. He tried to run, but his foot caught, and he fell face first onto the desert floor. He hadn't time to scream, as his throat burned through, and every struggle intensified the pain until the man passed out entirely.

A small creature wandered towards the charred corpse, seemingly unaware of the deadly sand beneath his feet. His fur was red, and tiny horns made him look a mockery of the Halloween version of the devil. He laughed and mumbled to himself constantly, and sniffed at the remains of the damned human.

Hellsbuttmonkey: Looks like it's dinnertime!

It was a good meal, if not a little unsatisfying. The malnourishment of the dead led to some pretty nasty tasting meat, but when there's nothing else around, a demon has to take what he can get.

Suddenly, the sky lit up with beams of energy, and Hellsbuttmonkey stared, awestruck. This was Angel Magic, and he hadn't seen that sort of power since he had been forcibly removed from the courts of the Inner Circle. A castle fell from the reddened sky, and crashed into the sand. A large snake-like creature thrashed and screamed in the sand, and a distant figure pushed it further and further from the castle with beams of untold power. The creature did not like the sand, it writhed in its death throws, and began to curl into a withering, smoking ball. The figure floated back towards the castle and the smoke hit Hellbuttmonkey's ridge. It smelled exquisite. He had just eaten, but he was always open to having some fresh meat. His stomach grumbled, and he nodded his head. It would be a good hour's walk in this new form, but it would be worth it.

The Castle

Strangefate's wounds slowly clotted and healed as he chanted in arcane tones. The poison of the Doomwurm was only active as long as the beast lived, and the deadly desert had seen to the creature's demise. Strangefate shook with fury. How many years would this set him back? How much longer would he have to wait to reach his final goals? His loyal servant, Shade stared blankly at the desert surrounding the castle. He could feel the soul tattering winds and knew where his master had taken him.

DR. STRANGEFATE: ******* ****ing Doomwurm… I spent years ensuring there was no one who could stand in my way, no one who could summon something like this. When I get my hands on who… Well, time is of the essence. We must return to the world above at once.

He turned to Shade with determination. His eyes burned the deepest crimson, and his angelic wings stretched with impatience.

DR. STRANGEFATE: See to the prisoners. I want to insure that they have not sustained any major injuries, but mostly, it must be certain that they hadn't the chance to escape while we were under siege. I need to make sure the Portrait Gallery is intact. The damage seems to be centered primarily in the east wing of the castle, which means the transdimensional gate has almost certainly been destroyed…. The walls and rooms can heal themselves, what I am concerned about are my belongings.

The Good Doctor surveyed the damage as he walked the treacherous halls towards the Portrait Gallery. His life's work hung on those walls, the gathered souls of loyal sorcerors, lesser in power to him, but when pulled together they offered his greatest chance to storm the gates of Heaven. His own unholy army.

The room was large and imposing, a ballroom containing a seventy-foot dining table where the Doctor has taken his meals before the Angel's blood had removed from him the need for sustenance. The elaborately painted ceiling was rubble now, strewn across the now broken table. One-third of the east wall had fallen and broken canvasses littered the ground. Even more paintings were forever lost between the worlds. The opposite wall had maintained. Most of the portraits were safe. The "Good" Doctor breathed a sigh of relief, and composed himself.

DR. STRANGEFATE: Gentlemen, I apologize for the inconvenience of our displacement. This, of course, will delay your release from your current states. The plans continue however, do not dispair.

There were murmurs of dissent. Of anger. Strangefate breathed angrily, closing his eyes.

DR. STRANGEFATE: We are in Hell. Would you prefer I release you here?

Silence.

DR. STRANGEFATE: I thought not.

Shade appeared then, materializing in a corner. He gestured to his master in an effort to explain himself.

DR. STRANGEFATE: For god's sake! Speak! I have no patience for your little games today.

Shade's voice was like a whisper heard across the hall. Unsubstantial, with little confidence. He spoke rarely, and only ever in the presence of the Doctor.

SHADE: the prisoner, goodwill, has been moved to a more stable chamber while the magic binding the castle heals itself. his arm is broken, but i left him with the injury, as i assumed you would prefer. the angel is pained by our presence in this realm, but the cross is intact. he is bound.

DR. STRANGEFATE: Good. Good… Take me to the balcony.

SHADE: yes, master.

The Good Doctor looked out upon the sands of Hell, and the distant cities to the North. His usual methods of traveling beteen the realms had been eradicated by the Doomwurm's attack. He would need to travel towards the center of Hell. He would need to make a deal.

SHADE: sir?

DR. STRANGEFATE: Yes, Shade?

SHADE: where is the doomwurm? all i can see is a small… is that a monkey?

Strangefate took wing and descended towards the creature.

DR. STRANGEFATE: What is this?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Oh, sorry. Was it yours?

Strangefate stared at the creature, revolted and confused. It burped. Loudly.

DR. STRANGEFATE: A Doomwurm? Why would I keep a Doomwurm?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I've seen weirder. Tasted weirder, even…

DR. STRANGEFATE: You ate it?!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: What the hell else was I supposed to do with it? Play dress up?

DR. STRANGEFATE: It was almost a mile long! You're about four feet tall!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: That is a matter of perspective, my friend.

DR. STRANGEFATE: Who are you? Name yourself, Demon.

The tiny red ape puffed up his chest, and spoke in the deepest voice he could manage.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I am Lord Glyndwr the Wicked. Baron of Botulism. Duke of Discordia. One of the Nine High Kings of Hell

The Good Doctor smirked, and his eyes flashed red.

DR. STRANGEFATE: What is a high king doing all the way out here in the endless desert?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: That's none of your business, you big fluffy poof.

DR. STRANGEFATE: I'm guessing that's not your true form. Not many of the Lords of Hell look like a little girl's plush doll.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: This little plush doll can still kick your poncy ***!

Strangefate chuckled to himself.

DR. STRANGEFATE: Is that so?

The demon pounced, producing a pitchfork from the ether and swinging it at Strangefate. The doctor blocked the strike with a fist and shot a beam of purple-pink energy at the creature. It shrieked at him, bounding from the beam's trajectory, hurling a handful of burning sand in the eyes of the doctor. The sand did not seem to affect him, and Strangefate laughed a full-throated laugh at the demon's folly. He grabbed it by the tail and flew skyward. The monkey breathed fire, doing nothing but singe the doctor's eyebrows. Strangefate swung the creature against the highest tower of the castle with all his unholy strength. And again. And again. The creature fell limp.

LATER

DR. STRANGEFATE: EKAW PU

They were in the library now, and the walls had almost completely reconstituted themselves. The creature that had called itself Glyndwr rubbed its eyes and realized it was laying on a red satin couch. It coughed a moment, and sat up to look the room around. Shelves upon shelves of arcane texts, but there were many noticeable holes in what had apparently been a complete collection. Shade glowered in the corners of the room, disappearing from one to another as his master paced.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Okay, boss, you win. It's… been a while since I faced that kind of action. What kind of man are you anyways?

DR. STRANGEFATE: No kind of man.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Fine, be cryptic if that's how you get your kicks. I can tell you one thing, though. I know you don't want to be here. You're trying to leave. Am I right?

DR. STRANGEFATE: You would be making a fair assumption.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I'll tell you what I know. My story, tell you what I know about the hierarchy down here.

DR. STRANGEFATE: I know plenty.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: You think you know plenty. I bet you none of your texts on Hell are under one hundred and fifty years old. This place has changed! Television, Movies, The Internet! It's not like we're out of the loop down here. You don't know squat. I do. I tell you what the what is, and then, when you… IF you manage to find your way out, you take me with you.

Strangefate mocked surprise.

DR. STRANGEFATE: What? A demon wants to get out of Hell?

The monkey stewed for a moment in silence.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I have a second condition. If I tell you what I know, you will refer to me henceforth by my proper name. Do we have a deal?

The monkey held out its malformed hand. After a moment of consideration, Strangefate took it in his own.

DR. STRANGEFATE: I suppose we do.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Well, then I guess you're going to need a little backstory… See… The big guy down here, The Prince of Darkness himself, has picked up a bizarre warm spot for artists from the world above. It's been growing for centuries, and truth be told, he envies these people… They can create entire worlds with their minds, in a way, it's kind of like… well… playing God. And since he thought of playing God first, he figures that he is the first and greatest artist.

DR. STRANGEFATE: I see… So Lucifer fancies himself an artist these days?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Well, he's still not so good with the ideas… And that's where the trouble all started. He realized that he could possess the writers he considers great, and write his own material by their hands. He started doing this… what? Two hundred? Three hundred years ago? Anyways, he's been at it for a while, but he used to hold off for a while between goes at it… He might write a little play through James Joyce, and then wait a few decades before hopping into F. Scott Fitzgerald. The books would come out, and we would all oooh and ahhh, and tell him how flipping amazing his work was. We all knew it was garbage, but we could flatter him every now and then just to avoid getting ourselves tossed into eternal torment with the rest of the damned.

The former high-king poured himself some tea from a kettle that had been set up near Strangefate's desk. He pondered a moment on how to continue. The Doctor stared on, more than a little perplexed.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I think we all just gave him too much support in those early days. He would go off for months at a time to work on something, and we were living the high-life. We barely noticed that something that had happened every couple of decades was now happening every year, then every couple of months… Nowadays it's the internet. He's always trying to create the new fad, and jumping onto others… We're all a part of the play now, constantly. There was a month where all of demonkind wore the skins of cats and had to speak to each other like retarded children. It's gotten out of control. He's more obsessed with the immediate artforms… things you don't have to wait months to see. And that's when he hopped into the minds of comic book writers.

DR. STRANGEFATE: Wait a second. The Devil writes comic books? You're not kidding with me?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Oh, I wish I were…. At least seven or eight of his books come out every single week, and the legions of the damned are required to read and love each and every single story. We have to regale him with praise for his talent. And the only time this crap's any good, is when the original writer's slip back into control for a second! I was dealing with it, competently, I thought… Until His Lord High Worship decided to take one-third of MY kingdom and turn it into a premium comic book shop which only sells the worst of the worst. This store goes on for miles and miles, even contains a decent movie theater in the back, to show his rare forays into film these days (there was one with a creature the humans call The Beniffer which I found particularly revolting). And so I got angry…

DR. STRANGEFATE: Understandably so.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: One thing you folks don't understand about the Internet is that it's as much of a cosmic force as anything. There is only one internet, and we use it as much down here as you use it up there… So I figured, hey, I'm peeved at the big guy, and I want to get even, but I can't ACTUALLY get even, so I figure that I'll just ***** about him on the internet! So I find this message board—

DR. STRANGEFATE: Wait… What was the name of the board?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Small comic book board that used to be focused specifically on the sort of comics Lucifer was writing at the time. You've never heard of it, I'm sure… Ultimate Central.

Strangefate's grin was almost imperceptible, but nevertheless present. He knew what would happen next in the demon's story.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: So one night, I'm tearing apart this whole story-arc apart where he somehow managed to turn the love interest of the series into a male wolf creature… I know, it's pretty ****ed up, right? And a beam of light shoots out of the computer, filling the whole room. I knew it was over, then… The energy had wiped out the internet throughout the realm, and the Roflcopters descended on my Castle instantaneously…

DR. STRANGEFATE: The what now??

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Roflcopters… Flying manned police units powered by the laughter of the criminally insane. 'snot really important. Anyways. They got me, and Lucifer saw what I was planning to write about him. He had to go off into his side quarters for a while, and I swear that I heard him crying in there… But that's besides the point. He stripped me of my title, of my name, of my land, and of my true nature. He declared to all of demonkind that I was Hell's Buttmonkey, and that I would be sent to wander the eternal deserts for all of time and think of what I have done.

DR. STRANGEFATE: Heh… All for hurting his pride?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Well, think who we're talking about here…

DR. STRANGEFATE: This is going to be even easier than I thought it would be. I shall read some of the Dark Lord's comic books, and present myself in his court as a fan. All I'll need to do is flatter him, and we'll be home free. You have saved the day, it seems, Hellsbuttmonkey.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I thought we had agreed…

DR. STRANGEFATE: That I would call you by your proper name. You were given the first by Lucifer, and it was taken away. He has given you a new name, and that is the proper one. You'd best get used to it.

Hellsbuttmonkey grumbled to himself.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: …thought I was the demon…

Ignoring his companion entirely, Strangefate looked to one of the dark corners of his study.

DR. STRANGEFATE: To me, my servant… You have work to do.

The City of Dis

Roflcopters swarmed the air around the grungy streets of Dis, the most populous city in all of Hell. This is where the demons lived, where they came home after a long day's work of torturing the poor souls who found themselves dragged into the pit by their own indiscretions. It was nothing personal, it was just their job. Some of them enjoyed it more than others, just like it is elsewhere in the world.

Shade, the man of shadows, lurked down the streets of this dark city. If his body still contained a heart, it would have been racing. The city was as if they had sewn together every rotten corner of every metropolitan city in the world. Gangs roamed the streets, beating each other to death "for the lulz," as they would say. Everything to amuse their lord and master. He heard the howling of terrible beasts, trained to massacre those dressed in a certain manner they had deemed ridiculous. Some men carried sonic rifles, programmed to decimate one's ears with a particular 1980's song that had inexplicably become popular as a means of torture and dismay. They called the process "rickrolling".

The Comic Shop was harder to find than Shade had anticipated. The streets changed often, to leave its inhabitants lost in corners they had never tried to reach. But upon the third time passing the same office block, the store was there, and Shade moved quickly, as to prevent it from disappearing yet again.

The store smelled of dead cats and feces, but Shade had long sense lost the senses of smell and taste, so it did him no harm. He approached the counter where a tremendously obese demon with a goatee and ponytail sat, scratching himself in the most unflattering way.

SHADE: i am looking for...

He searched his memory for the proper term

SHADE: …ultimate comics?

COMIC BOOK GUY: Ah, yes. The Ultimate Marvel series, excellent work there from our dark lord and master in recent weeks, don't you think? Cap had been Black Panther all along! Genius work, so much better than that horrible Millar fellow. Don't you agree?

SHADE:

COMIC BOOK GUY:: Haven't read the other stuff? Well good for you. Worst. Comic. Ever. I cannot stress that enough. We've got a box right here of the good stuff. Would that be all?

Shade nodded, producing a large quantity of gold coins across the counter.

COMIC BOOK GUY:: What in Hell do you think this is? We don't accept gold here! This is a soul business!

SHADE: i… i haven't got a soul.

COMIC BOOK GUY:: Then get out! Out with you! Or I'll call the Roflcopters on you to take you off!

Shade didn't need to be told twice. He skulked out and thought for a good long time about the prospects of stealing the comics. He was fairly sure he could get away with it, but he didn't know the magical prowess of these individual demons. Could they grab hold of a shadow itself? Possibly not, but why risk the consequences?

A voice called out from a nearby alley.

VOICE: Hey! You! Lookin' to get your hands on the big guy's comics?

SHADE: yes.

VOICE: I've got the full set, right here.

Shade could see nobody, but the box sat there, as plain as day. He paused a moment, considering.

SHADE: what's the catch?

The voice chuckled nervously.

VOICE: No catch… No catch… Just be quick.

SHADE: you don't want these comics?

VOICE: I love his work!

The voice shouted to no one and to everyone. The timbre of the voice told Shade exactly how terrifed the demon was of getting rid of these wretched works

VOICE: Look, do you want them? Because I do, I LOVE THESE COMICS. I don't even want to give them away! I just want to… Eh… Want to help you get started on your connection.

SHADE: would you like gold?

VOICE: JUST TAKE THEM ALREADY!!! And be quick about it! The Roflcopters will be flying by any second… And well… Just go!

And he did.

Later, in the Castle of Dr. Strangefate

DR. STRANGEFATE: This… is… terrible!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: See? What'd I tell ya?

DR. STRANGEFATE: It's just… every one of these stories ends with the same Deus Ex Machina! Either this government group shows up to save the day, or this other group of heroes… How can he actually develop Spider-Man as a character without letting him fight his own battles?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: It's pretty awful stuff.

DR. STRANGEFATE: I just… How do I convince Lucifer that I actually enjoy reading this nonsense? I have absolutely no idea what to say to him!

The air shifted suddenly in the library, blowing out the candles, which could not be blown out by any natural wind. In the darkness he felt a presence collecting itself. Deep in the dungeons of the basement, Strangefate thought he could hear Caduceus screaming louder than he ever had before.

LUCIFER: Well, Well, Well… If it isn't Hell's very own Buttmonkey.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Up yours, Lucy.

LUCIFER: And you've brought a guest to help sully my name, have you? Trying to turn all of your brethren against me? Is that it!?

DR. STRANGEFATE: No, sir, Not at all! I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed—

LUCIFER: Silence!! Your magic is nothing in my realm, Strangefate, I've been keeping an eye on you, and I heard what you had to say about my comics!

DR. STRANGEFATE: I'm sorry, I just thought—

LUCIFER: I don't care what you thought! Clearly you are trying to start some sort of rebellion here! Well I won't have it! Get out of Hell, and take your stupid monkey!

The ground began to shake, the castle lifting itself from the desert floor.

LUCIFER: And once you've left, you'll never come back! Hell's gates are closed to both of you! For eternity!!

The walls vibrated and the castle spun, faster and faster. Lucifer vanished into nothingness, and Strangefate noticed something remarkable. He smelled ocean air. He heard birds in the distance.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Did we make it?

DR. STRANGEFATE: That was almost stupidly easy… Come now, demon. We have work to do…

Hellsbuttmonkey looked out the window onto a Caribbean coastline. Never in his centuries of existence had he seen such vibrant colors… Such life. As he backed away from the wall, he turned inward, still mystified at the new possibilities his life now contained.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Sure… Sure thing, boss.

He followed the doctor out of the library, and into a brand new world.

EPILOGUE

A tall man with short dark hair wandered past long and winding bookcases towards a back room, a secret room. The treasures of his library, stolen arcane texts from the world's most powerful magician. This world's, anyways… He hung his black cloak on the wall and ran his fingers along the bindings of dozens upon dozens of ancient tomes containing secret knowledge. Each book in Strangefate's library had been unique. He had long since hunted down and destroyed other copies, ensuring that no young man or woman could study towards becoming his equal. No man on this world could ever be his equal. One would have to show himself in from elsewhere.

The man pulled one of the texts off the shelf and walked to a large, comfortable sitting chair, flipping to a yellowed page depicting a large indestructible snake-like creature, coiled around the top of a mountain. The language wasn't English, but the word was the same. Doomwurm.

A Voice Says: What is the Good Doctor doing up so late?

He Replies: It wasn't enough. We should have taken him out of the picture when The Emperor first came to this Earth. Our work here is important, Skott, and my double has the power to destroy everything we have worked for. Why doesn't the council understand?

SKOTT-KUN: You need sleep. You have an appointment with the Emperor first thing tomorrow morning. Stop worrying about Dr. Strangefate…

Skott wrapped his arms around the neck of Dr. Doomsday, and rested his head upon his shoulder. Doomsday was silent, deep in thought.

SKOTT-KUN: Houdenmeyer says my double's a girl. Said something crazy about wanting to do a few experiments on her. Really creeped me out. Why do they even let him up here anymore?

DR. DOOMSDAY: He serves a purpose, like the rest of us. It isn't our place to question the Emperor.

SKOTT-KUN: Well, I'm going to sleep. You coming?

DR. DOOMSDAY: In a moment.

He watched Skott leave the library, and pondered their futures. He loved Skott dearly, that was certain. It grounded him and gave him power, love being the cornerstone of the white magicks to which he was bound. Skott was strong, his powers were growing day by day in the training barracks of 616 Central. But they were nothing compared to his own, and even he couldn't defeat his dark duplicate one on one under current circumstances. What would be the cost of battling Dr. Strangefate?

He wondered. And in the dark, he waited.

Chapter 75 (The Divine Comedy Part Two: Purgatorio)

Milwaukee, WI – Out in the Suburbs

Our story begins in a quiet house in suburban Milwaukee. The house was small, painted white with a red brick chimney. It was pleasant and sunny looking. The sort of place you'd want to grow old in. The neighbors smiled and waved as they walked by. Spring made these walks pleasant, and you could see Lake Michigan when you made your way across the bridge at the end of the small lane.

A Lincoln Town Car pulled into the driveway of the little house and a tall man with jet black hair stepped out into the morning air. He lit a cigarette and paused to look down the road. A Frisbee came out of the field next door and he plucked it from its trajectory.

A young boy ran out and paused before approaching the man. There was something in the man's smile that made his skin curl. The man handed the boy his Frisbee and ruffled his brown hair, a sensation that filled the child with sudden terror.

He took his toy and ran back towards his house. The man's smile would come to him in nightmares for years to come. There was something inhuman and terrible about it he could not shake.

The man chuckled to himself a moment, and walked through his front door, dropping the cigarette on the asphalt driveway. The façade dissipated around him to reveal a pair of fluffy white angel wings.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Honey, I'm home!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I'll alert the media…

DR.STRANGEFATE: What's your progress?

The demon chimp was situated at a large computer with many windows open to numerous internet message boards and community websites. There were a few windows open of a less savory nature, but what can you expect from a demon?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: There's a kid in Toronto who's setting off all the right signals.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Excellent. Why don't we see how things are going downstairs?

They walked through the cozy home. The walls were crammed with strange artwork and artifacts while books lay around the floor, as if the house had once somehow been larger and able to accommodate these features.

The stairs towards the basement lasted longer than it should have, and gave way to an immense ballroom that had no right to be sitting under such a small home. The Angel, Caduceus had been lain on top of a large, sturdy table, still tethered to the cross he had worn these last few years. Tubes carrying golden blood made their way from his body and into the various portraits that covered the walls. Occasionally the Angel would moan.

Shade carried an empty bucket to a small cage at the edge of the ballroom in which a dirty, crusty Goodwill had remained unconscious for the last several days. Strangefate smiled, gleefully.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Soon enough my army will have the strength to take on the forces of Heaven, that day draws nearer and nearer still. I think it's time to collect our guardian, and my lieutenants.

He signaled Shade to his side.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Shade. I want you to hunt down Ultimate Quicksilver. Bring him here immediately. Hell's Buttmonkey, I want you to find the man named Ourchair. I'll take care of this young man in Toronto.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Using magic will alert your counterpart to your presence here…

DR.STRANGEFATE: That is precisely what I am counting on.

Shade vanished into the walls, and the demon in a puff of smoke. The Good Doctor thought back to the old magicks, the ones he had studied for years before taking the Angel's blood into his body. He took a deep breath.

DR.STRANGEFATE: TROPELET!!!

616 Central

Dr. Doomsday met with the Emperor every Tuesday and Wednesday for meetings that had always been called strategic, but were generally more concerned with the Emperor's well-being and self-image. Doomsday had studied psychotherapy in his school days, and found use for those skills after joining the Moderating Council of 616 Central. He also knew the simple enchantments to induce a calmness in the mind and soul. White Magic came hand in hand with the psychiatric arts, and he was happy to do what he could to assist his leader. Dr. Doomsday was proud of the work they were doing, bringing order to a chaotic world.

He exited the throne room and ran into his fellow moderator, Ice, the second in command in their great mission. He nodded at his colleague in recognition, a slight bow. He had been meaning to confront Ice after that morning's council session.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Are you feeling well, Ice?

ICE: Why do you ask, Doomsday?

DR.DOOMSDAY: You've seemed a bit off since our arrival here

ICE: I'm… I'm doing fine. We've suffered great losses to achieve our goals.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I didn't mean to sound accusatory. I just want to offer my services should you ever need to talk.

Doomsday lied then. He had been in suspicion of Ice for months. His very personality seemed to have shifted in the wake of the Red Star War, false hardness having taken him entirely.

ICE: Don't concern yourself with my business. Keep to your own work. Whatever problems I have will work themselves out.

Doomsday began to respond, but clutched to his chest, suddenly and without warning, slowly falling to his knees. As his eyes opened, they glowed a bright green. He forced them shut again with great effort. The pain was over.

Slowly, he rose.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I need to see the Emperor immediately… And call an emergency session of the Moderating council.

ICE: You just spoke with him! What's going on here, Doomsday?

DR.DOOMSDAY: Dr. Strangefate has returned.

UC75.jpg

Cover by Dr.Strangefate. Captain Planet stolen from Here.

ULTIMATE CENTRAL
THE FANFIC

Purgatorio

Volume 10, Issue 75,
By Dr.Strangefate

ACT ONE

Strangefate's Cottage

Goodwill listened to the Doctor and his cohorts as they made their plans. The past few weeks he had waited for an empty house. He suspected that Strangefate's magicks would be at their weakest in his absence. The house had changed in the jump from hell. The towers were gone. He remembered the odd sensation of being carried by shadows down a long staircase into this stuffy ballroom

He had watched as Strangefate brought the Angel into the hall. The being was tremendously beautiful and seemed to glow in spite of the darkness. Goodwill had spent many hours watching it writhe in pain. At times, he spoke to the Angel, but there had never been an answer. Strangefate had wired the Angel into the paintings surrounding the hall, and Goodwill noticed that the men in the paintings, with the pentagrams etched on their naked chests, had begun to sprout wings. Something was happening. Something profane.

CADUCEUS: Help me…

GOODWILL: Who's there?

He had been sure he was alone, but his eyes turned towards the crucified Angel, whose fingers twitched in an attempted wave.

CADUCEUS: We have only minutes to escape…

GOODWILL: What can we do?

CADUCEUS: Listen Carefully.

A Bedroom in Toronto

Parker had situated himself at the computer, and tried to pull up Ultimate Central, but nothing would load. It seemed strange to him that the Emperor would personally disable a comic book message board, of all things, but it was futile to question the New World Order. He spoke to his Irish friend, Rob, through a video conference.

PARKER: It's bizarre that it's gone.

ROB: What's bizarre is that we're living under control of Supervillains! The news is afraid to call them that, but that is exactly what they are! Where are the heroes? Where are the Avatars?

PARKER: We shouldn't be talking about this here.. You know they monitor the internet for things like this.

ROB: I've heard rumors of an Underground… People trying to fight this. Some people say they are what became of the Avatars after the invasion.

PARKER: And what? We should join them?

ROB: That's exactly what we should do, Parker.

PARKER: It's not like we have powers. This is ridiculous!

There was a laugh behind him, a laugh that chilled him to the bone. The screen of the computer flickered and turned black. Parker turned to find himself face to face with a purple-cloaked Angel with Jet-black hair.

DR.STRANGEFATE: So you want powers, do you?

PARKER: Who are you?

DR.STRANGEFATE: They call me the Good Doctor. I help people like you find their potential.

PARKER: Look, man… I don't want your help.

DR.STRANGEFATE: That, my friend, is not entirely up to you, I'm afraid.

With a flick of the Doctor's wrist, chains appeared out of the ether and coiled around the young man like snakes. A moment later, purple-pink energy filled the room, and they were gone. The computer screen flickered back on.

ROB: Parker? You there? Parker? Parker?!

A Bar in Middle America

Ultimate Quicksilver did five shots in half a second. He was fighting against his quickened metabolism, hoping for a moment of intoxication. He had been running for months, searching for clues, for answers. He'd re-explore the Canadian wilderness tomorrow.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: Another five!

BARTENDER: You scare me, man.

As he poured them out, a shape flickered in the Bartender's shadow. One hand pointing back towards the bathroom. Ultimate Quicksilver blinked, rubbed his eyes, and re-examined the floor. The shadow hand gestured only more dramatically.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: Hold onto those a moment…

He wandered hesitantly towards the back. Something insubstantial slipped under the door of the Men's room. Ultimate Quicksilver smiled as he entered.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: He's back, isn't he?

SHADE: yes.

Ultimate Quicksilver felt shadow engulf him for the first time in ages.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: It's about time.

Location Unknown

Ourchair knew he was being followed as he approached the designated meeting place. As they had all practiced, he calmly led his stalker away from the others. By no means could he allow his peers to be revealed. They were Hidden, and needed to be so. He grasped at metal piping with his mind, ready to strike the man behind him. He walked into a dead-end alleyway.

OURCHAIR: Reveal yourself!

With a wave of magnetic energy, he wrapped the stalker in pipes and windowsills ripped from the window around him.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Man, what's your problem. Jesus…

He vomited lava, easily pushing aside the softened metal.

OURCHAIR: What… are you?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: What do I look like, an Emu? I'm a demon. Strangefate sent me.

OURCHAIR: Strangefate has returned?!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: No, I was only joking… Jeeze, nobody takes a demon seriously anymore.

OURCHAIR: Take me to him.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: That was the general idea.

Cold fire surrounded the two, and they were gone.

The Moderating Council of 616 Central

DR.DOOMSDAY: He is a threat to everything we have secured, and everything we have planned over the next few years. Strangefate's power at present rivals that of our Emperor, and if his current plans succeed, he will be unstoppable.

Doomsday stood before the Moderating Council, with an image of Dr. Strangefate, his dark double, projected onto the wall behind him. The room was silent.

ICE: What do you sugg—

HOUDENMEYER: Wait, wait, wait… Doomsday, we all know how you like to stroke your ego, but why the hell should we believe Strangefate is this all powerful being when we know you're nowhere near that power level.

DR.DOOMSDAY: If we were dealing with him in the early stages of our invasion, as I originally suggested to this council, I would have been able to defeat my double without question... But due to certain lapses of judgment, we have waited for Strangefate to increase his power in triplicate. We needed to secure Caduceus, but he slipped through our fingers. He has accessed the Angel's power, not to mention the power of the paradoxical entity known as "Lil Kis".

HOUDENMEYER: Oh please, I don't want to hear any more of this metaphysical bull****.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Why they even let you attend these meeting after your consistent failure as a component to our plans is beyond me.

ICE: Settle down. This isn't going to devolve into a debate on whether magic does or does not exist. I'd like to mention that the Emperor believes in the abilities of both our Doctor and his duplicate.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Thank you.

LUNAR LORD: But Houdenmeyer brings up a good point. Why can't you get to the same power level as your double… At some base level, you're the same person.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I am a disciple of Order. White magic… I follow the rules of magic, Strangefate breaks them. Chaos is dangerous in magic, and it takes extraordinary ego to let yourself do that much damage to your soul. Strangefate wants immortality in this life. I want Immortality in the next. In most cases we wouldn't even be equals, the powers of the White are much more powerful than the black. Angelic power, however, is unspeakable. And this "Kis" being gave him reality warping powers. Even if my magic beats his, he could still easily destroy my body.

ICE: You make it sound like its hopeless.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I have a plan that would effectively disable him, not just displace him as we did last time.

ICE: What do you need?

DR.DOOMSDAY: Full access to our resources. And I will require one of Houdenmeyer's transdimensional gates.

HOUDENMEYER: Absolutely not.

ICE: Overruled.

DR.DOOMSDAY: We should also ready the foot-soldiers. I sincerely doubt Strangefate will be waging his war on his own. He has past associates within this group of unaccounted super-humans who have been causing so much trouble for us. We cannot allow ourselves to underestimate Dr. Strangefate.

ICE: Well, I think our course is clear. Any questions?

HOUDENMEYER: I Just—

ICE: Meeting adjourned.

Houdenmeyer stormed out of the room, muttering profanities at Dr. Doomsday. The others followed quietly, leaving the Doctor alone, staring at the projection on the wall. There was a blinking, popping noise, and her knew he was no longer alone.

DR.DOOMSDAY: You shouldn't be in here, Skott. Top ranking persons only.

SKOTT: I was waiting outside, but somebody wanted to sulk in here a while, so I figured I'd come stop you.

DR.DOOMSDAY: How considerate.

Skott placed his hands on Doomsday's shoulders, massaging them gently.

SKOTT: You'll stop him. I know you can do it.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I wish I had your confidence…

Strangefate's Cottage

The bars of Goodwill's cell became more insubstantial as the Angel sang, just as he said they would. Pushing against them with all his bodyweight it didn't take long for him to make his way through.

GOODWILL: I'm out!

CADUCEUS: I need you to pull these stakes out of my hands and feet…

Goodwill eyed the staircase, then the Angel on the cross. He knew Strangefate would not be long. Every moment spent trying to save another was a moment wasted. He had spent what must have been years in the custody of the Devil Doctor.

CADUCEUS: If you get out of here on foot, they will catch you in a matter of minutes. If we get out of here together, I can assure they will not follow us. Now, hurry! They'll be back in moments.

With a quick movement of his arm, he knocked the tubes from the Angel's chest. Golden blood ran down its chest and splattered on the ground. It gave off a rosy, pleasant smell that disturbed Goodwill. It took every ounce of strength to remove the stakes, and every slight creak from above sent shivers down his spine. Time was running out.

CADUCEUS: Oh Lord, that feels good…

The angel climbed off the cross and stood on his own for the first time in months. His glow brightened and it seemed to Goodwill that he could hear choirs singing in the distance. The wounds healed almost instantly.

GOODWILL: We need to get out of here.

CADUCEUS: Hold onto me.

Goodwill did as commanded, and felt the angel's wings beat heavily. He expected a crash as they hit the ceiling, but none came. They passed through several feet of cement and found theirselves in a pleasant foyer, face to face with shadow. If one could read Shade's face at that moment, they would have seen panic in the servant's demeanor.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: Is that an angel?!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Don't let it escape!

Jets of fire bellowed from the demon's breath towards the Angel and Goodwill. A blast of golden energy from Caduceus' fist kept the flames at bay. Another knocked open the front door to the house.

GOODWILL: Get us out of here!

The Angel flew out the doorway into open air and sunlight. A lamppost sprang to life in an attempt to tie Caduceus down, but missed entirely. As Caduceus picked up speed, he began to laugh. Goodwill caught on too, nearly crying with joy.

Back in the Cottage, Strangefate emerged in a flash of Purple-Pink energy with a gagged Parker thrashing in his arms. Shade appeared at his side at once to take the boy, and the Good Doctor stood to examine his surroundings.

DR.STRANGEFATE: What did I miss…

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: The ****ing Angel escaped with your little pet nemesis.

Strangefate's eyes flashed red as he scowled out the front door. With a wave of his hand, it shut. Loudly.

OURCHAIR: What's going on here, Sir?

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: Should we go after them?

DR.STRANGEFATE: It's certainly a setback, but nothing insurmountable. I'll explain everything over some dinner.

Shaking the negativity out of his mind, Strangefate smiled an evil smile.

DR.STRANGEFATE: And then I think we have some real work to do.

The Quarters of Dr. Doomsday

Skott-Kun watched Dr. Doomsday pace back and forth through their living area, determined to design the plan that would put an end to his duplicate.

DR.DOOMSDAY: It has to be perfect…

SKOTT: You're worrying yourself to death over this.

DR.DOOMSDAY: If I don't, then it will be my death.

Skott sighed and allowed himself to fall back onto the bed. He didn't like it when the Doctor got like this, caught up in worlds Skott would never truly understand. He didn't understand the difference between the light and dark magicks, it was all the same to him. He just didn't want anybody to get hurt. This instinct, more than anything else, put him on edge against The Emperor's plans. A perfect ordered world sounded great, but there was already so much death, and who knows how many more would die before it was over. And then what? Another world?

DR.DOOMSDAY: He wants to become God… And we need to be there before he can even reach the gates. Before that, though… Hmm…

SKOTT: What is it?

DR.DOOMSDAY: I think its about time I talked strategy with the guy upstairs…

SKOTT: I thought you already had the Emperor's approval.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Heh… I wasn't talking about the Emperor.

An Open Field, Midnight

Dr. Strangefate wore his purple cloak hood up, his wings outstretched reverently as he paced around the stone circle his men had constructed over the last few hours. At the center was a large, flat, circular stone, serving as an altar to their dark cause. On the rock sat a large black cauldron, in which sat Parker, shivering and afraid.

PARKER: What are you doing?! What do you people want from me?!!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: For the moment, mostly, we just want you to shut the **** up.

The demon stuffed a sock in Parkers mouth, mumbling to himself about the cost of dragging elementals into all of this. Ourchair and Quicksilver had little concept of what was going on tonight. They stood in robes matching Strangefate's, waiting solemnly from outside the stone ring.

DR.STRANGEFATE: From the ground beneath me, I call on the powers of EARTH!

The Doctor flung a fistful of dirt at Parker, now crying in the ceremonial cauldron.

DR.STRANGEFATE: From the passion within me, I call on the powers of FIRE!

The Doctor waved his hand, and flames sprouted beneath the cauldron.

DR.STRANGEFATE: From the breaths of every living being, I call on the powers of WIND!

The Doctor flapped his wings, and a gust surrounded Parker, circling around him like a whirlwind.

DR.STRANGEFATE: From the tears of Gaeia, our Mother Earth, I call on the powers of WATER!

With another hand gesture, the cauldron filled with water. It began to boil instantly.

DR.STRANGEFATE: From the breast of the innocent, I call on the powers of HEART!

Without warning, the Good Doctor shoved his hand inexplicably into Parker's chest, a moment later it re-emerged with the young man's still-beating heart. Parker stared at it in horror as his consciousness fled. He dropped it into the boiling water, which began to glow in a number of colors. Orange. Red. White. Blue. Pink. Over and over, in rapid succession.

DR.STRANGEFATE: By these powers combined, I call on the elemental force. I call on PLANET-MAN!

The ground shook, and green light shone brightly across the open field. The cauldron had simply vanished. Where Parker had died, stood a new being. His hair had turned green, his skin turquoise. It was a bizarre sight. The sheer power of it proved too much for him, and Planet-Man fainted on the stone dais.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: What has he done? What just happened?

The Good Doctor laughed and the redness of his eyes seemed to glow bright enough to light the scene in front of them.

DR.STRANGEFATE: I just picked up my ticket to heaven. Now we can begin.

ACT TWO

A Park, Many Miles from Strangefate's Cottage

GOODWILL: I've seen him building the army, but I never expected… He's going to try to take over Heaven? That's insane!

CADUCEUS: It won't be the first time someone's tried, but few have ever reached the sheer power of Strangefate. Without me, I'm not sure how he'll get into heaven…

GOODWILL: I'm still reeling from the fact that you're Caduceus… Who would've thought you were an Angel?

CADUCEUS: Fallen Angel.

GOODWILL: Still!

CADUCEUS: We need to find out what Strangefate is planning. We know the goals, but not the method… He needs to be stopped.

GOODWILL: Well, yes, he does…

CADUCEUS: We've each been in his grasp for too long. You must want to see him fail, crush his dreams once and for all.

GOODWILL: Alright… Alright, already, you've sold me.

CADUCEUS: I can follow his energy trail to his last stop. From there we should be able to figure out where to go next.

Strangefate's Cottage

The Good Doctor led his entourage into the ballroom beneath his humble abode. Golden blood lay in puddles on the floor, and the portraits on the wall who had not yet grown their wings looked sadly down upon the men.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Looks like a solid quarter of them didn't get a chance to finish the transformation.

OURCHAIR: This is incredible… Each of those portraits contains a living being?

DR.STRANGEFATE: They certainly do. My army… My longest and greatest achievement. Virtually every sorcerer and magic user on the planet grace these walls. Some of them I trained myself, others I merely collected. They are essential in the next stage of my plan.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: What is it exactly that you plan to do?

DR.STRANGEFATE: It's quite simple, I plan to become God.

PLANET-MAN: What?!

Planet-man had been moved to Goodwill's cage upon their return to Strangefate's home. He paced within the bars, incredulous to what he was hearing.

PLANET-MAN: That's insane!

DR.STRANGEFATE: Just because a man has a little ambition, he's called insane… Such a strange world it is.

He laughed, still examining the broken tubes and wires that had once hooked up to the Angel Caduceus.

OURCHAIR: I don't mean to subvert your… grand schemes, but now that you're back, why don't you first focus on taking down the Empire.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Politics don't interest me… There are factions within their ranks who will be addressed in the coming days, but once I achieve my goal, The Emperor will mean nothing to me. I will not only crush him under my foot, but send him to the fiery nowhere.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: The Fiery Nowhere's overrated. I'd take the Desert of the Damned, or the Labyrinth of Terror over the Fiery Nowhere any day of the week.

OURCHAIR: Sir, I just think—

DR.STRANGEFATE: You have your own Hidden agendas now, my disciple. Don't think I'm not aware. Keep at it, do what you feel you must. I shall assist the faithful from my new seat of power.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Alright, Doc, but let's be clear here… We're down by ¼ of your army at the moment. Caduceus really ****ed things up.

DR.STRANGEFATE: No, it just leads to the other obvious solution to the problem. We shall hook me up to finish the process.

PLANET-MAN: I think I've gone insane…

DR.STRANGEFATE: Not yet, my friend. Certainly not yet.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: And what do we do about this cross?

Strangefate's eyes burned red.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Chop it up for firewood.

As Shade attached the tubes with Hellsbuttmonkey, Strangefate couldn't help but laugh. He felt it. It was coming. So close now, he could almost feel it.

A Bedroom in Toronto

CADUCEUS: Can you find anything?

The Angel stood with Goodwill in the fairly ordinary bedroom of a college-aged kid. There was nothing to indicate why Strangefate would have come here. Why he would have chosen some random person named Parker.

CADUCEUS: Check the computer.

GOODWILL: Ten steps ahead of you…. It looks like he was talking to someone named Rob. It looks like he's from Dublin.

CADUCEUS: Sounds like a good place to start.

Professor Houdenmeyer's Sub-Base

Hundreds of soldiers poured out of the series of jets landing continuously in Houdenmeyer's backyard. He had initially set off his defense modules to keep the men from entering his compound, but The Emperor must have overridden the codes himself. From one of the planes, following the soldiers, Dr.Doomsday arrived, with Skott-Kun at his side.

Houdenmeyer ran up as if to greet him. His scowl told Doomsday everything he needed to hear.

HOUDENMEYER: I resent you for this, Doomsday. This is my work. My lab. You have no right to be here.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I have every right to be here. This lab belongs to the Empire, and we are fighting to preserve it. Put your petty differences aside, and fall in line.

HOUDENMEYER: Don't you tell me what to do! This is my post!

DR.DOOMSDAY: I have been put in control for the time being. Provisional command of this base until the crisis is over. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the Empire.

HOUDENMEYER: Oh, I certainly will.

The crooked scientist scrambled off to his telecommunications center. Skott winced with exaggeration once he had turned his back. Doomsday stifled a laugh.

SKOTT: He creeps me right the **** out.

DR.DOOMSDAY: You and me both, babe.

Dublin, Ireland

He had been trying to tell Parker. Trying to tell him for months. All those hints at joining the resistance, all those direct mentions of becoming better than who they had ever been before. Rob started training the day the Red Star came. He pushed his mind, He pushed his body, He pushed everything he had within him, and had become something greater. Something more than himself.

He called himself Gothamite.

A scream one rooftop and an alley away from where he was standing. He ran. He jumped. A grappling hook took him all the way to where he needed to go.

MUGGER: What the...

Gothamite slammed his fist into the mugger's face, knocking him over onto his back. He turned to hand the young woman her purse.

WOMAN: Who are you?

GOTHAMITE: I am Gothamite, the Night Spirit of Dublin.

With another shot of his grappling hook, he found himself back on the rooftops. This time he wasn't alone. Rob wasn't excessively religious, but he could not help but sign the cross with an Angel standing just a few feet away from him.

GOODWILL: We're looking for a kid named Parker.

GOTHAMITE: Planet-man? Parker from Canada? What are you looking here for, I talked to him earlier today.

CADUCEUS: What did you call him?

GOTHAMITE: Planet-Man, its his online tag… On Message Boards and whatnot.

CADUCEUS: Of course…

GOODWILL: What is it?

CADUCEUS: Names have power. If you name yourself something artificial, you are choosing the power that comes with that name. Strangefate is going to turn this kid into Planetary Elemental.

GOODWILL: So what?

CADUCEUS: With that, he'll be able to break back into limbo and march into the gates of Heaven. He's going to create a Transdimensional Gate.

GOTHAMITE: Am I getting this straight? Parker's been captured?

CADUCEUS: Yes, and if you'll excuse us, we need to find our own gate before we run out of time.

GOTHAMITE: Take me with you.

Caduceus looked at Goodwill and shrugged, Goodwill looked at Caduceus and shrugged. The Angel wrapped his wings around the three of them. They disappeared with a flash of light.

Strangefate's Cottage

Planet-Man could feel the water moving deep beneath the ballroom in which he was locked. He had begun to realize that he could vaguely control the temperature around him. He wondered how many more tricks he had up his sleeve, and whether he'd get the chance to use them. The future looked increasingly grim, especially as this Dark Angel bestowed his blood to the final paintings.

DR.STRANGEFATE: I had almost forgot what pain felt like

The Doctor winced as the blood pumped out of his body through the various arcane tunnels bestowing his angelic gift to his children, his army. The others were on guard and tense. A weakened Strangefate could do very little to help their cause.

Planet-man saw his chance to act. He pulled up the forces of the earth in a vile rush. Water and rock made for an impressive Golem. The rock-creature made its way towards Strangefate, smashing the hardwood floors beneath it with every step.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Keep it away from me! We can't allow him to stop the blood transfer!

Water was gushing out onto the floor, coming alive at points in an attempt to drown Hellsbuttmonkey and Ourchair. Ultimate Quicksilver ran around the room, creating a whirlwind of water, desperate to save his teammates. Planet-man took control of the whirlwind, turning it inwards on the speedster. The sudden rush of water knocked him unconscious. The Golem continued to advance.

With a wave of Strangefate's hand Five Finished Portraits leapt to life, diving on the Golem, using their magicks to return it to a pile of rubble. Strangefate followed this up with a purple pink blast of energy at Planet-man, knocking him out cold.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: That was close.

The Demon spat dirty water onto the floor, still shaken. Ourchair did his best to resuscitate Ultimate Quicksilver. The former portraits flew in circles around the ceiling, rejoicing in their newfound freedom.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Bind him tighter, I'll weave my spells to keep his powers ineffectual. We can't afford any more mishaps. We have a war to win.

Heaven

The Archangel, Michael looked down upon the real world. Things were happening, and quickly.

MICHAEL: It's really quite amazing. Both sides have pulled together entire leagues of extraordinary gentlemen. Strangefate's array in particular is worrisome. He represents beings from Earth, from Hell, and from Heaven. How can you stop the Man who has everything?

The heavenly creature knew not to expect a reply. The throne was often quiet these days, but he knew that it was watching these men closely. The rumbling voice was a surprise then, adding only gravity and fear to this unusual occasion.

A VOICE OF FIRE: So it begins…

TO BE CONTINUED​

Chapter 76 (The Divine Comedy Part Three: Paradiso)

Outside One of Professor Houdenmeyer's Bases

The sun was setting fast as Caduceus, Gothamite, and Goodwill hid in the thick forests surrounding the secret Imperial Base. Goodwill was checking to make sure each of the seven guns he had "borrowed" earlier that day was loaded and accessible. Gothamite paced impatiently in his black leather and Kevlar. Caduceus was standing perfectly still, non-existent gusts of wind blowing his dark hair this way and that.

He thought of the ruby that had once sat on his forehead. He knew that returning it to its place would once again remove his angelic powers. He had carried it since escaping Strangefate's, still mystified at how the dark doctor had removed the gemstone, the mark of God himself. Caduceus knew that he hadn't the power to overcome this Sorceror Supreme, but he could not just sit idly by and wait for the End of Days. God might not have been a fair or just deity, thought Caduceus, but the very idea of Strangefate at the seat of creation made him shiver down to the tips of his wings.

GOODWILL: This is suicide, you know.

CADUCEUS: It very well may be, but the alternatives are so much worse.

GOTHAMITE: When do we strike?

GOODWILL: Maybe once you wisen up and take one or two of these.

Goodwill shook one of the handguns aimlessly in the air.

GOTHAMITE: I don't do guns.

GOODWILL: And I thought WE were suicidal.

CADUCEUS: Silence… It is time.

The guards were changing as they had three hours prior, and three hours before that. The side door closest to the interplanetary gate would be free for the taking for the next minute. Once the guards had rounded the corners, they charged. Goodwill and Gothamite each held firmly onto each of Caduceus' arms, so that they might phase through together. It worked. The three of them had found themselves in an empty corridor. They moved slowly through the halls, each silently hoping they would find little trouble.

CADUCEUS: This is the door. There's something strange about it…

It was sealed with every lock and device imaginable. Caduceus went intangible, and began to push his fingers through the doorway hesitantly.

SPEAKERS: Alert! Alert! Intruders in Corridor X. Proceed with Extreme Caution.

GOODWILL: ****!

GOTHAMITE: Finally… I was starting to worry there wouldn't be a fight.

GOODWILL: God! Why do I surround myself with complete lunatics?!

The hallway filled with guards too quickly to count them. Gothamite instantly dropped a smoke bomb, clouding the hallway as he made his attack. Gunshots went off and Goodwill heard the noise of a rifle butt making contact with a hard helmet, and then a drop to the floor.

GOTHAMITE: Don't just stand there! Fight!

Goodwill closed his eyes and shot blindly into the massing troops moving forward on him. Caduceus knocked one man out with every punch.

DR.DOOMSDAY: EZEERF!

The three of them could no longer move or even breathe. A dark haired figure approached, a cloak trailing from his shoulders. Caduceus' heart broke, Strangefate had beat them there. He had won.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Who are you people? What do you want…

HOUDENMEYER: Don't let them speak, you idiot! Kill them! They're locals, they shouldn't be here!

Doomsday was hardly paying attention. All he could see was the Angel standing in front of him. His eyes glowed bright green. He waved his hand, allowing Caduceus to speak.

CADUCEUS: You aren't Strangefate?

DR.DOOMSDAY: Hah! No. Quite the opposite, actually. Why are you here?

CADUCEUS: I am here to stop Strangefate… We need the gate…

Doomsday thought a moment, and then the three were released from their hold. They stood, looking cautiously at the men holding guns in their faces.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I think we can be of some help to each other.

As they Doctor smiled, his eyes glowed bright green once more.

UC76.jpg

Cover by Dr.Strangefate

ULTIMATE CENTRAL
THE FANFIC

Paradisio

Volume 10, Issue 76,
By Dr.Strangefate

Strangefate's Cottage

PLANET-MAN: So, where's the bastard and that horrible monkey?

Ourchair and Ultimate Quicksilver sat playing cards on the table that had held the Angel Caduceus, under the lights of the power dampener Strangefate had conjured after his bloodletting. Newly angelic figures were thrusting themselves at their frames, eager to break free and taste this new power. Ominous helmets were scattered across the floor, having been pulled from Strangefate's mind before his most recent excursion. The inhuman manservant Shade held one of the helmets awkwardly in his hands, looking around at the now winged and imposing portraits that hung on the walls around them.

OURCHAIR: They've got a package to pick up.

PLANET-MAN: So he's out ruining lives again.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: Listen, kid, you should be grateful for the power you've just received. You're stronger than you would have ever been without The Good Doctor.

PLANET-MAN: Hey! I didn't ask for this. I was fine being a happy, average, ordinary kid. He didn't have to—

OURCHAIR: Just shut the hell up. We're trying to enjoy ourselves over here. Quick, I'll raise you fifty.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: I'll match that and raise another fifty.

Planet-Man could see Ultimate Quicksilver's hand from where he sat in the cage.

PLANET-MAN: He's bluffing.

Ourchair threw his cards violently down at the table.

OURCHAIR: How do you think the boss would feel about us roughing up this blue little *******?

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: A few bruises couldn't hurt.

OURCHAIR: My friend, a few bruises can hurt ever so much.

They laughed and approached Planet-Man's cage. Ourchair fumbled for the key in his pocket.

PLANET-MAN: Oh, ****.

Limbo

The mechanical gateway hummed loudly all the hundreds of feet back he had left it. Dr.Doomsday levitated, cross-legged, wrapped in his pink-purple glow, meditating in the hopes of contact with the beings he wanted so desperately to protect. He could feel the presence of heaven little more than a sliver of reality away from him. He gathered his energy to send out a message.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Please, Speak to me!

He felt a rumbling in the very firmament of reality. The nothingness in front of him ripped open revealing a pearly gate with stairs leading up to it. On the stairs stood what seemed to be three men. Each man wore human clothes, but had three sets of ethereal wings protruding from their backs.

THE BEARDED ONE: Oh bloody hell, it's the double.

THE BALD ONE: We don't have time for this. Only one gate to heaven may open at a time. We must keep every corner of the silver city fortified at all moments for the impending battle.

THE DARK HAIRED ONE: I'm sorry, you are going to have to leave.

The three Seraphim were imposing and seemed to be generating light from their very essences. The Bearded One had clothed himself in a leather jacket over a Union Jack shirt, and wore strange glasses; one lens rectangular, one circular. The Bald One wore an all white suit over an insanely pink shirt, and large ovular sunglasses. The Dark-Haired One's hair was long and black, and his skin was pale white. From certain angles, Doomsday wasn't certain he had eyes.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Wait! I'm here to help!

THE BEARDED ONE: And how the **** are you going to help us?

DR.DOOMSDAY: I know the same magick that keeps me from seeing what he is doing is blocking your vision. I've come into some information you need. He has used Angelic Blood to build an army of Angels that rivals your own!

THE DARK-HAIRED ONE: And how did you learn this?

DR.DOOMSDAY: The Angel Caduceus has come to help stop my double.

THE BALD ONE: His true name is not Caduceus. And he is an Angel no longer.

DR.DOOMSDAY: The information is good, I swear to that. And with the power of Lil Kis, Strangefate has the upper hand! You NEED our help!

THE BEARDED ONE: Do not presume to know what we need, human.

THE DARK-HAIRED ONE: The man, Doomsday makes a fair point. And I believe he has a plan…

DR.DOOMSDAY: I do. You yourself said there can only be one entrance to your city, why not establish it here? If you don't do this you risk Strangefate on every side. This way we can all make a stand here, together. Force Strangefate to come to us rather than waiting blindly for his attack. If you build a massive plain here, I can start sending in my troops immediately.

Suddenly a trumpet blared from behind the gate behind the Angels. They nodded silently, hearing things no other creature could possibly comprehend.

THE BALD ONE: He has spoken. We shall do it your way.

Just Outside Earth's Atmosphere

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: He's dead.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Bass-Lak-Tus is a being of infinite power and energy. He cannot die… He has simply been disabled, turned off, if you will.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Well, I don't see any reset button…

The Angelic Doctor Strangefate stood on the chest of the enormous dormant body of the being known as Bass-Lak-Tus, as it orbited the planet gently and silently. The Good Doctor was scowling. They had been up there for hours.

DR.STRANGEFATE: I don't understand… I can sense the power within him.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Maybe it's too little power to run such a big body??

DR.STRANGEFATE: That's ridiculous, and a overly simplistic approach to an extremely complex problem.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Hey, I don't see you coming up with any bright ideas.

Strangefate sighed.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Well, its not like I'd be able to deal with a hundred foot tall demigod in the first place. KNIRHS OT EZIS FO NAM!

The being Bass-Lak-Tus shrank to the point where he was even a bit shorter than the Good Doctor himself.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Now, wake up!

He placed his energy charged hands onto the chest of the formerly all-powerful being, and let it shoot directly into its body. There was no change. Bass-Lak-Tus was still, lifeless.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Well, so much for that…

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Wait, look!

The man sized god was yawning. It stretched its arms out and shook its head awake.

BASS-LAK-TUS: Man, do you have a Snickers bar? I am hell of craving a Snickers…

Houdenmeyer's Base

Skott-Kun walked through the barracks, eying each of the guards, happy in the knowledge that they couldn't say anything terrible to him now that he was with Dr.Doomsday. He had joined the Empire back in its early days on their home world as a tracker for the advancing army as they moved from the Americas into Europe and beyond. The Emperor had recruited his brother, the almost universally reviled Lord JTG, as his Deputy General in charge of America, and now the entire world. Things were better here.

He hadn't known anybody really on the old world, not until Dr. Doomsday agreed to join their cause. Skott had liked him instantly, and the way he had punished the foot soldiers who had once coughed "***got" at him under their breaths. Once he had been their peer, a simple teleporter within their ranks, now he was a member of the ruling class. An untouchable. He couldn't deny there was a simple pleasure to be had in that kind of power.

As he was so deep in thought walking through the barracks, Skott was taken aback by an accidental bump into Gothamite. He fell to the floor with a loud thump.

GOTHAMITE: Um… Sorry.

SKOTT-KUN: It's alright, cutie… you gonna help me up?

GOTHAMITE: Oh! Sorry, sure.

Skott made him work at getting him off the floor. The kid in the mask looked cute, as far as he could see anyways. Irish accent, too. That was a plus.

SKOTT-KUN: You got a name under all that leather?

GOTHAMITE: I'm the Gothamite.

SKOTT-KUN: Let's try again.

GOTHAMITE: Oh… My name is Rob.

SKOTT-KUN: Nice to meet you, Rob. My name is Skott.

GOTHAMITE: It's nice to meet you too.

There was an awkward pause. Gothamite blushed nervously. Skott smiled, amused at the boy's embarrassment.

SKOTT-KUN: I'll see you around, kiddo. I've got places to be!

GOTHAMITE: Um… See you!

Gothamite watched Skott make his way out of the barracks before turning to Goodwill, who had been reading a magazine. He was still confused.

GOTHAMITE: Man, I think that pink guy was hitting on me!

GOODWILL: No ****, Sherlock.

As Skott walked back into the corridor he thought of Doomsday, and reminded himself he was in a committed relationship. On the other hand, he thought, doesn't mean I can't look, now, does it?

Elsewhere in the Compound

DR.DOOMSDAY: You should see the battleground, Caduceus, it is perhaps the most beautiful place I have ever laid my eyes on. The grass is shining silver with golden lakes under a lavender sky… Takes my breath away just thinking about it.

CADUCEUS: It's been a while since I've been home, but that's been the preferred aesthetic for the past few centuries. I for one preferred the ivory parks they had before then…

DR.DOOMSDAY: The very concept of a changing heaven is fascinating. I had always imagined heaven to be a static place.

CADUCEUS: Angels are beings of pure creativity, it is the very nature of creativity to be constantly in flux. That's why we love you people so much. We've had a hand in the evolution of every major art form. I suspect, based on what you've told me, that comics are in vogue now. It makes sense. At the advent of the true Superhero, comics are suddenly important… but I've been out of the loop for a generation.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Can I ask you why you left?

CADUCEUS: I was banished in the early 1940s… I had seen the Almighty turn his eyes away from tragedies in the past, but the Holocaust was something much more organized… Much crueler. I confronted him. Told him to intervene, but he insisted that you folks would work it all out yourselves. I fought harder, and I was thrown from heaven, my powers suppressed by this little power-stone.

Caduceus pulled the ruby from his pocket, handing it to Doomsday.

DR.DOOMSDAY: This is immensely powerful.

CADUCEUS: I thought the magick was more powerful than anything… Then Strangefate managed to pluck it out as if it were nothing but a sliver. That's when I remembered who I was, why I had fallen… I don't like the thought of fighting for Heaven again, but the alternatives are so much worse.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I can certainly relate to that… It took a long time to convince me to work for the Emperor. I hated his wars on my homeworld, entire cities were burned for weeks. I fought against him for years. What finally turned me was seeing how he handled Africa. It took just a week to depose the corrupt leaders and bring the others in line. Then he used his team of superhumans and built the entire continent an infrastructure. Roads, Police Stations, plumbing, modern houses with modern amenities… The compounds in the Emperor's veins solved the AIDS crisis overnight. Through his telepaths he taught everyone on the continent English, Spanish, and Japanese. From a third world cesspit to a first world society, and all in less than a month. It was remarkable… I offered my help in the final stages of the Empire's expansion in our world, and joined the Moderating Council for the Invasion of this Earth.

CADUCEUS: So why hasn't any of that started here?

DR.DOOMSDAY: Many of us died fighting against the Avatars… That set us back. And he has been hesitant about calling in too many of the superhumans from our world, in the fear of a true uprising. But I'll admit, I've been very frustrated at how little we've done here so far.

HOUDENMEYER: Is that treason I hear, Doomsday?

DR.DOOMSDAY: The Emperor is very much aware of my frustration. What are you working on?

HOUDENMEYER: It's that damned robot from the old Ultimate Central mansion. I've had to load it with viruses to try to eat away at the old programming…

DR.DOOMSDAY: So Project: Mavericker isn't turning out so well?

HOUDENMEYER: Artificial Intelligence is a myth! I refuse to believe this hunk of metal used to be sentient. The closest I can get is this semi-conscious virus with a penchant for religious extremism. Here… See what happens when I turn it on.

Professor Houdenmeyer flipped a switch at the back of the robot's head… The lights behind its triangular eyes turned on. Slowly, with audible whirring, the robot sat forward and looked at both men and the Angel in turn. It focused back on Doomsday, the light behind its eyes turning red.

MAVERICKER: Leviticus, Chapter 18, Verse 22… Thou shalt not lie with mankind—

Houdenmeyer turned the robot back off, ignoring the disturbed look on Doomsday's face.

HOUDENMEYER: And sometimes it gives me inane ideas for new superhumans based on the wikipedia entries on various animals. It is infuriating! No more intelligent than a google bar giving you search suggestions!

CADUCEUS: If I may… I think I see the problem. There's nothing artificial about this being's core intelligence. There's a human soul in there…

Caduceus leaned forward and kissed the robot on the forehead.

CADUCEUS: Turn it on again.

Houdenmeyer flipped the switch. The eyes only lit up partially, giving the image of a half-sleeping man.

ULTXON: Man… How long was I out for? Wait, who are you guys?!

HOUDENMEYER: Incredible… Name your program, Robot!

ULTXON: Um… My name is Ultxon.

Houdenmeyer turned the robot back off before it could say anything else.

HOUDENMEYER: I will have to investigate this further. You two! Out of my lab!

He slammed the door behind them.

CADUCEUS: Someone's a grouchy bastard…

DR.DOOMSDAY: Tell me about it… Heh. Speaking of little bastards, did you tell me earlier this Goodwill fellow has power over Dragons?

Dr. Strangefate's Backyard

BASS-LAK-TUS: So if I sit in this chair, you will get me my Snickers?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: For the hundred-thousandth time, yes!

BASS-LAK-TUS: Could I also please have a cherry cola and some cheesey Doritos! Oh lordy, I am hungry.

OURCHAIR: If you listen to the monkey, you can have whatever you want.

BASS-LAK-TUS: Oh goody! You little humans amuse me so very much. And you! A talking monkey! How very clever.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Well, this clever little monkey is going to **** on your candy bars if a certain transdimensional cosmic deity doesn't SHUT THE **** UP!

Bass-Lak-Tus sat, dejected in the stone chair behind Strangefate's suburban home. Metal straps bound him in place according to Ourchair's will. Bass-Lak-Tus seemed unaware of them and began humming to himself as he tapped a rhythm on his armrests. Soon afterwards, Strangefate appeared with Ultimate Quicksilver, and the bound and gagged body of Planet-Man dangling between them. Shade followed the men closely. They sat him in another stone chair, a good hundred and fifty feet away from Bass-Lak-Tus.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Quickly! We must create a circle of ash around each of them before Planet-man wakes up and unleashes his powers upon us.

Storm clouds gathered overhead.

Limbo

The Imperial foot soldiers had started moving out three hours prior. Near the Heavenly Gates a lonely tower had been constructed from Ivory at the request of Dr.Doomsday. The Dark Doctor looked over the battlefield and smiled.

BLINK

SKOTT: Hey stranger.

DR.DOOMSDAY: What are you doing here??

SKOTT: I wanted to be with you…

Skott tried to wrap his arms around Doomsday, but he was simply pushed away.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I told you to wait at the base.

SKOTT: I wanted to be here with you…

DR.DOOMSDAY: Things are going to get dangerous soon!

SKOTT: I can take care of myself! I've been fighting in wars since I was sixteen years old!

DR.DOOMSDAY: Not wars like this! Nothing Like this! Jesus… you've never been like this with me before… What has gotten into you?!

SKOTT: Maybe I'm just afraid to see you die. Maybe I hate the idea that I might never see you again.

There was silence then.

SKOTT: I'll always love you, you know that, right?

DR.DOOMSDAY: Skott…

BLINK

Doomsday turned his back on the troops below him, collapsing against the wall of the tower's balcony.

DR.DOOMSDAY: *******it…

Dr. Strangefate's Cottage

Hellsbuttmonkey and Shade had been left to guard the two powerful beings sitting in the backyard while Strangefate called his troops together. Ourchair and Ultimate Quicksilver had been told why they were needed, and they followed The Good Doctor back down the stairs into the portrait gallery. The inhabitants of the hundreds of paintings that adorned every wall around them were rowdier than ever. They craved to use their newly gifted powers.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Gentlemen, are you ready?

They both answered in the affirmative.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Then let's get this party started.

Strangefate stretched out both his arms and his wings, energy gathering to him from the ether.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Men behind the masterpieces! I relieve you!

Hundreds of winged men were hurled from every corner of the room, landing in uncomfortable heaps as they tried to remember how to move their muscles. The room seemed bigger than it ever had before Ourchair could have sworn there couldn't be more than two-hundred paintings, but it seemed now upwards of two-thousand… The portraits had been left blank, the room having transformed into a surrealist's wet dream. The tallest and strongest built of the men flapped his wings, departing the writhing mass of flesh and feathers.

ADONIS: You expect us to serve you after you used us and threw us away?

Another Angel took to the air.

NATHANIEL: We loved you!

And another.

MARCUS: And you betrayed us!

ADONIS: You shouldn't have given us this power, James. You'll never defeat all of us together.

The Good Doctor's eyes turned solid, luminescent red, seemingly drawing power away from the lamps above them. Nothing in the room was brighter, save the pink-purple energy surging from his fingertips.

DR.STRANGEFATE: MY NAME IS DOCTOR STRANGEFATE!!!

He blasted Adonis out of the air, the other Angels stared horrified at his now-headless corpse. The Good Doctor pulled himself back together, relishing the fear he inspired in his army.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Now would be the appropriate time to strike.

Ourchair lifted a dozen helmets from the floor with his magnetic prowess, locking them on a dozen heads in mere moments before repeating the process all over again. Ultimate Quicksilver took them one by one. They had finished within a minute. Strangefate laughed as the Angels took to their feet, standing in perfect lines, ready for war. He handed his lieutenants two helmets, each marked with a glowing purple Ankh, his symbol.

DR.STRANGEFATE: In the battle to come, these helmets will give you each the ability to control half my army. It might sound difficult, but the helmet will expand your mind as necessary. You shall adorn them shortly.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: Excellent

OURCHAIR: Now what are we going to do?

DR.STRANGEFATE: The same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to kill God and recreate the universe in my image.

The Good Doctor laughed as they marched back up towards the backyard. The time had come. The trumpets of war had sounded. It was time to march.

Limbo

The troops were growing anxious. Every step they took on the silver grass felt like a heresy. They looked uneasily over the Pearly Gates and at the beings that flew above them. It seemed as though it was getting darker, and they were told this simply meant the battle was approaching. It made no sense to them but who were they to judge. The darker it got above, the clearer it became that the land and the gates were giving off their own eerie light.

FOOT SOLDIER 21: So, do you think that's really heaven?

FOOT SOLDIER 24: I don't know, maybe?

FOOT SOLDIER 21: Now that it's getting dark, you can finally see them guarding the gates… Like some kind of night watchmen. They don't even seem to care about what happens out here.

FOOT SOLDIER 24: I'm sure they care.

FOOT SOLDIER 21: So does this mean there is a God?

FOOT SOLDIER 24: I don't know.

FOOT SOLDIER 21: But then who's watching these watchmen?

There was a pensive silence. 24 weighed carefully what he ought to say next.

FOOT SOLDIER 24: Dude, I don't even read comics, and I know how lame that was.

Heaven

The Throne Room was almost purely white light. The Lord of Creation stroked his ragged beard, careful not to let it catch on one of his elaborate rings. He could see everything, and watched intently. He might have smiled then, or he might not have. It depends what you choose to believe.

Strangefate's Cottage

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: It's about time you got back up here. The long haired idiot god started speaking in a language that made me vomit chocolate! I didn't even know that was possible!

OURCHAIR: It shouldn't be…

DR.STRANGEFATE: Silence. Quicksilver, hand me my knife.

In a split second the knife was in Strangefate's hand. He approached Bass-Lak-Tus and he made a clean slice down his chest. Alien blood drenched his shirt.

BASS-LAK-TUS: Hehe… Tickles.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Lords of the Cosmos, I have taken one of your own! Grant me passage!

Thunder rumbled above. Strangefate walked to Planet-Man, gagged and crying, and made an identical slice down his chest, revealing thick red blood.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Lords of the Earth, I have taken one of your own! Grant me passage!

More thunder. Strangefate walked halfway back then shouted at the Thunder clouds above him.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Lords of Limbo, I abide your rules and honor your traditions! You WILL grant me passage!

Twin lightning bolts struck Planet-Man and Bass-Lak-Tus respectively, sending them into panicked fits of agony. Purple bolts shot from Bass-Lak-Tus, and green bolts from Planet-man. Suddenly, opposing beams met, creating a small window into nothingness. The window acted as a magnet, drawing more and more energy from the elemental forces, growing larger and larger. All the men cowered, Shade going so far as to retreat into the shadows of the forest behind the home. Only Strangefate stood his ground.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Monkey! Shade! Stay with them! In the unlikely event of my failure, I need this door open. Don't you dare let anything happen to them.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Sure thing, boss.

SHADE: we will not fail you, master.

The land around the cottage twisted and turned at Strangefate's command, forcing Hell's Buttmonkey to leap out of its way. The house suddenly jerked upwards hundreds of feet skyward, revealing an inverted castle, the original castle he had disguised all those long months ago. It was a strange sight to see, an adorable cottage on a patch of grass and soil, topping an upside-down castle straight out of a fairy tale. The castle moved forward, passing through the portal and straight back to the limbo it hadn't seen since its encounter with the Doomwurm.

A young boy watched it go, disappearing into the giant portal in space and time, his mouth gaping wide open. After it had fully vanished all the boy could see were two brightly covered men shooting colored lightning into the portal, something strange moving in and out of shadows, and a little red monkey with a pitchfork. He waved at the monkey. The monkey pointed his pitchfork at the boy and waved back pleasantly. The boy had barely begun to smile back as he noticed the smell of burning flesh. Then he began to scream.

Hell's Buttmonkey wondered whether the neighbors had any good books for him to read as he guarded the elemental beings. He decided to wander in and see. As he walked he accidentally knocked some of the ash free from its circle around Planet-Man.

Limbo

The castle was coming. They could see it advancing slowly in the distance. Caduceus landed on top of Doomsday's ivory tower.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Is Goodwill…

CADUCEUS: Everything is ready.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Should we not live to see tomorrow, I am glad to have met you, my friend.

Caduceus patted the Doctor on the back and was struck, not for the first time, how the same basic mold of a person could turn out so differently just one world away.

CADUCEUS: I am glad to have met you as well.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Come on, come on, Mirror-Brother. Let's finish this once and for all…

Houdenmeyer's Base

Skott found himself wandering once again through the now empty compound. He had seen Houdenmeyer gather his most important equipment into a truck and driven off with it all. He had even offered Skott a ride, which had surprised Skott, as the Professor was not a kind man, and rarely thought of anyone save himself.

He thought of his love, the Good Doctor Doomsday, one of the Empire's greatest and most powerful enemies before he fell for the cause. Skott was glad he had come over, but the very things that had convinced him of the Emperor's altruism had merely shown Skott his overwhelming need for total control. Where would it end? Were they really stopping Strangefate because it was the right thing to do, or could the Emperor simply be incapable of dealing with another man finding himself with more power than himself? These questions scared Skott, but he didn't want to stir things up. Certainly, he could take a stronger role within the Empire, his experience on the ground in the old world had brought up to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. But to be in a position to contradict authority would mean he would speak up if he disagreed, and men who came against the establishment would be discarded, and quickly. Would Dr. Doomsday stand up for him then? Would he even still be around to stand up for him.

SKOTT: I wonder if the battle's started…

GOTHAMITE: It'll be soon now.

Skott jumped. He had thought himself to be entirely alone in the compound. Clearly, this was not the case.

SKOTT: Jesus… I thought I was alone in here.

GOTHAMITE: I refused to take a weapon, and so they left me here. And somewhere out there, my friend is in danger, possibly even dying. And I'm powerless to help.

An awkward silence.

SKOTT: I wish I knew what to tell you.

GOTHAMITE: I know… It's just, I'm distracted, alright?

SKOTT: Yeah…

Another awkward silence.

GOTHAMITE: So, you're one of the Imperial drones, now, aren't you?

SKOTT: I am in the service of the Emperor, yes. I wouldn't call myself a drone.

GOTHAMITE: Sorry… I'm just not a big fan of dictators.

SKOTT: To be fair, neither am I, and I think I'm going to leave it at that…

A voice came from the corner. It sounded like a distorted

ULTXON: Dictators? What is going on here?

The robot stood, motors whirring quietly from within his titanium shell.

ULTXON: First I come to and there's some weird-*** scientist hovering over me, and now there's a dictator? How long have I been out? What's happened to this world

SKOTT: Who are you?

GOTHAMITE: What are you?

ULTXON: I'm one of the Avatars… My name's Ultxon… What's going on.

Skott looked at Gothamite and shrugged with a half-smile.

GOTHAMITE: Here, I'll tell you.

Limbo

The Battle had begun in earnest. Ourchair and Ultimate Quicksilver were sitting on the back porch of Strangefate's cottage, wearing their helmets as they sipped on mimosas, watching the damage they were doing from afar. Angelic soldiers dropped on Doomsday's men, killing them en masse. The shining fields were already drenched with blood.

A fleet of helmeted Angels flew low, beams of magic decapitating several soldiers out of the fleet near the castle's base.

FOOT SOLDIER 21: Oh Jesus!

FOOT SOLDIER 24: **** this man! I can see the gateway! Let's run for it!

As the cowards fled the battlefield, the true army of heaven flew forward, clashing against the atrocities that bore their form. The Archangel Michael, still wearing his bearded form, pointed his fiery sword towards the oncoming hordes and shouted in the glee of battle.

The Good Doctor Strangefate hovered in the air, high above the battle, taking in everything. He saw the true angels clashing with his own men, and smiled. The Doctor had planned things well, and he knew what must happen next. His heightened eyesight sought a man very much like himself, leading the other side of the battle. When he saw Dr.Doomsday, he was taken aback, as one might expect a man to be when he sees himself. The similarities would have been remarkable, had Strangefate not taken the blood of the Angel Caduceus. Still, the man standing before him was the very image he still expected to see when he looked in the mirror. Nonetheless, he dove at him, hands charged with purple-pink energy.

CADUCEUS: No!

The Angel Caduceus countered The Good Doctor's plummet and the two angelic beings crashed to the ground beneath him.

DR.STRANGEFATE: I would have thought you would have had the sense to keep far away from this battleground. You know that you want change in heaven more than any other being here.

Caduceus struck the Doctor in the face, but it was as if he had only lightly slapped the man. The recovery was instant. He saw Strangefate's eyes pulse bright red.

CADUCEUS: Don't you even dare pretend to be doing this for some benevolent purpose. You only want power!

DR.STRANGEFATE: I cannot lie, it is power I seek…

His hands glowed with energy once more.

DR.STRANGEFATE: And I'll take it as easily as I took your power before…

He placed them on Caduceus' wings.

DR.STRANGEFATE
: And as easily as I take them now!

He ripped the wings off messily, golden blood spattering back onto him as the Angel Caduceus screamed in horror. The purple-pink energy of Strangefate's power consumed the wings like a fire, tearing them apart atom by atom, with no hope of regeneration. The fallen Angel wept and held the burning fragments of himself to his chest, despite the immediate scarring.

The Good Doctor kicked him hard in the back and Caduceus stopped moving, letting the blood run down and over him, soaking his still body.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Now, back to the business at hand…

Houdenmeyer's Base

ULTXON: This is all too much to believe.

GOTHAMITE: Tell me about it…

The two men and the robot stood in Houdenmeyer's Laboratory now. They could hear distant chaos through the still-open dimensional gateway.

GOTHAMITE: And now, apparently, my best friend is being used to tear open a hole in time and space, and the process will probably kill him

ULTXON: Hm… Maybe if I hook myself up to the computers here, I'll be able to find it. It has to be a giant spike of energy, and it'll come up on one sensor or another.

SKOTT: Yes! I know we monitor all superhuman activity. Here, let me boot it up.

Skott set up at the keyboards of one of the Supercomputers and entered Doomsday's password. The satellite superhuman energy locator was difficult to find at first, but Skott had long been accustomed to browsing the confidential files of Dr.Doomsday.

GOTHAMITE: So… You and this Doomsday guy…

SKOTT: Yeah. Me and that Doomsday guy.

GOTHAMITE: Right. Gotcha.

SKOTT: Here, it's up. You figure out how to work it.

ULTXON: I'm on it!

Skott leaned back against a wall. Gothamite looked uncomfortable.

SKOTT: You got a problem with me?

GOTHAMITE: No, no! Not at all. I just… I guess I don't really know many gay people.

SKOTT: Heh… The guy decked out in skintight leather doesn't know any homosexuals. That's a laugh.

GOTHAMITE: Hey! This is to make me look intimidating.

SKOTT: You keep telling yourself that, dear.

ULTXON: Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

SKOTT: What about it?

ULTXON: This is definitely the spot…

GOTHAMITE: Now do you think this Mad Scientist has a supersonic jet laying around here?

SKOTT: Hey, kiddos. You're all going to fly first class on Skott Airlines. Grab hold of me.

GOTHAMITE: Wait… What?

SKOTT: I'm a teleporter.

ULTXON: Well, that's certainly convenient.

BLINK

Limbo

Dr.Doomsday saw his double flying at him once more and grinned. Above him, half of Strangefate's army had pushed the Army of Heaven back behind the gates. The other half was busy slaughtering the soldiers on the ground. It was time to bring in the big guns. He pulled out his radio.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Goodwill, are you in position?

GOODWILL: You betcha!

DR.DOOMSDAY: You ready to strike?

GOODWILL: You have no idea how ready I am.

DR.DOOMSDAY
: Strike when ready!

Strangefate landed on the edge of the tower.

DR.STRANGEFATE: So, finally, we meet face to face…

DR.DOOMSDAY: I have a feeling you're going to have a problem you'll want to take care of any second now.

There was a roaring in the distance. Strangefate's eyes narrowed.

DR.STRANGEFATE: What is this…

A horde of Dragons appeared from beneath the artificial battlefield. Scores and Scores of them. On the largest and most impressive figure in the lot sat Goodwill, embracing the return of his true power.

DR.STRANGEFATE: ****.

The Good Doctor flew towards the horde, but he wasn't fast enough. Dozens had fallen on his army, and The Heavenly Host pushed forward in unison. Goodwill's Dragon had its target set elsewhere, slightly off the battlefield.

Ourchair and Ultimate Quicksilver barely had time to react. Wearing the helmets they could not see Goodwill's Dragon approaching, nor the first jet of flame that set the cottage behind them ablaze. A second jet caught Ultimate Quicksilver directly in its path.

ULTIMATE QUICKSILVER: ****! ****! I'M BURNING! AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!

OURCHAIR: No!!!

But it was too late. Ultimate Quicksilver ran screaming off the edge of the castle walls and fell into the abyss screaming. Ourchair knew he had died as he saw half of Strangefate's army fall deathly still to the ground. The Heavenly Host moved in on the rest of the army instantly. With Ourchair's attention focused on staying alive, his fraction of the army fighting clumsily against the increased strength of the opposing might.

GOODWILL: Hey Magnet-boy, remember me?

OURCHAIR: You ****er! You killed my friend.

Ourchair pulled all the metal within his psychic grasp and pulled it towards him as a giant spear, which ripped easily through the scales of Goodwill's dragon and shishkabobbed a dozen more before crashing into the ground. He pulled enough metal back to create a small disc, which he rode towards the nearby enemy gate.

OURCHAIR: I'm sorry, Strangefate, but I think this is my cue to leave!

He pulled the helmet from his head, and the rest of the army fell motionless to the ground. Ourchair ducked into the energy field and made his way out. Goodwill crawled, dazed from the dragon-ka-bob attack, towards the gate himself. He knew he could make it as long as he avoided the one man he hated most of all. Strangefate single-handedly held off hundreds of Angels with his powerful blasts of energy, but he knew there was only one course of action left.

DR.STRANGEFATE
: DOOMSDAY!

The Crater of Castle Strangefate

Hellsbuttmonkey was not entirely impressed with the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly. He eyed the two gents still shotting energy into the giant portal in the sky and wondered pretty half-heartedly whether the police would notice something as strange as that. He guessed it was true that nobody really looks up anymore.

He hardly noticed when weeds grew quickly from the ground and wrapped around his legs. When they pulled him from his chair, he started to get angry.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: What the devil…

PLANET-MAN: Take this, you disgusting little creature!

The weeds wrapped around the entirety of his body and began to change. A tree took his place for a moment and started to bloom bright green healthy leaves, but molten lava poured from a hole and the monkey climbed free.

BLINK

PLANET-MAN: Rob?

GOTHAMITE: Parker! Quick, Look out!

Shade emerged from the forest and cast the entire world in shadow. Nobody could see their hands let alone each other. Skott felt something topple him over onto the ground.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Who the hell are you people?!

SKOTT: Get off of me!

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Hey, buddy, I've got my pitchfork right here, and I swear to the unholy beast that I'll gouge your eyes out if you don't give me some answers.

Gothamite pulled a flashlight out of his jacket and shined it the monkey's way. The creature seemed dazed. He knocked it hard with the flashlight.

GOTHAMITE: Quick, Ultxon! Untie them!

Ultxon maneuvered well in the darkness. He quickly untied Bass, and used his conveniently designed legs to bolt over and untie Planet-man. The portal above them closed with an audible pop.

Skott had barely gotten to his feet when the monkey was upon him again. He felt the creatures burning fingers reaching into his eye socket and ripping his left eye out. He began to scream.

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: What did I tell you?

Ultxon turned on the floodlight in his chest and they could all see again. Skott had doubled over, writhing in pain on the ground while the others surrounded the monkey. Planet-man had hatred in his eyes. He raised one hand and storm clouds gathered. A bolt of lightning struck the simian, before water engulfed him, shooting out of the ground like a fire hose. Hellsbuttmonkey hated water. Before he could do anything, another bolt of lightning struck him from the heavens above.

PLANET-MAN: I swear I'll kill you for what you've done…

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Shade! Get me out of here!

Shadow engulfed the monkey, and as the light returned, they could see both of the henchmen were gone.

Limbo

The first blow knocked out four of Dr.Doomsday's teeth. The second broke his ribs.

DR.STRANGEFATE: How can you be so pathetically weak?

DR.DOOMSDAY: How can you be so completely heartless?

Strangefate and Doomsday sparred with beams of energy, their eyes growing red and green, respectively. Strangefate seemed stronger than ever, fueled by his rage. He hit Doomsday again.

DR.STRANGEFATE: I can feel within me your need for the same power I seek! Come with me, let us truly be brothers…

DR.DOOMSDAY: We are NOT brothers, Strangefate! You are the man I would have become if I had no willpower, no sense of right and wrong… You are a devil in man's… Well… An Angel's clothing. We are truly opposites. You sicken me!

DR.STRANGEFATE
: I sicken YOU?! You are the one who has clearly never taken the risks you need to take to become great. To become powerful! How could you just sit around with the basic magic of a man, when you know damn well how to become something truly great?!

A final blow from Strangefate knocked his double unconscious. He threw the limp body over his shoulder and marched towards the gates of Heaven.

DR.STRANGEFATE: I think it's about time to take this to the top.

In the shadows lurked the injured Angel Caduceus, who followed these two versions of one man into the very Heaven from which he was banished seventy years ago.

The Crater of Castle Strangefate

Skott held his bleeding, empty eye-socket with one hand and did his best to keep from screaming. His entire world was pain.

SKOTT: I need to go back… You have what you need. I need to get out of here before I pass out completely…

GOTHAMITE: Thank you, for everything.

SKOTT: Don't mention it. If you see that demon monkey, be sure to tell him that I'm going to find him, and when I do I am going to rip him limb from monkey limb.

ULTXON: Wait… What about us?

Skott sighed, woozy from the pain.

SKOTT: If I take you back, you're all going to be enlisted. Stay here. Find "The Project".

PLANET-MAN: What's The Project?

SKOTT: …Jesus, they're gonna kill me for this… Okay. So The Avatars aren't entirely gone, really… They've just changed a bit. The Project is the resistance. I'll… I'll help you find them.

GOTHAMITE: Wait… What?

SKOTT: Not from here… But I'll help you guys.

GOTHAMITE: You could get killed.

SKOTT: Maybe I don't want to live in a world where I can get killed for speaking my mind.

PLANET-MAN: Maybe you shouldn't have helped them take over, then.

SKOTT: Don't be such an ***, I lost an eye to save your blue ***. Look, I can't promise anything, but I've got to get out of here… I think I'm about to--

BLINK

BASS-LAK-TUS: What's going on here? Why don't I have any powers? Blue Human! Tell me what you have done with the mighty strength of the cosmic lord, Bass-Lak-Tus!

PLANET-MAN: Strangefate must have drained it all from you. Guess you're not a cosmic lord anymore!

GOTHAMITE: Now you can be a regular Joe like the rest of us.

BASS-LAK-TUS: I am no Joe! I am Bass-Lak-Tus! I destroy worlds!

ULTXON: Look, guy, I don't think anyone here wants to deal with your bull**** right now.

PLANET-MAN: Seriously.

GOTHAMITE: I guess you're just Bass, now.

BASS: Bass?! You dare call me by a common human name?!

PLANET-MAN: I think it's more of a fish name, than a human name…

BASS: You dare call me by a common fish name?!

ULTXON: Oh, God…

Heaven

The doors to the holiest throne, the very seat of creation glowed purple and pink for the briefest of moments before shooting inward to the infinite room, crashing into nearby black marble pillars that stretched eternally into the cosmic diorama above them. Dr.Strangefate threw the battered limp body of his double onto the ground in front of him.

DR.STRANGEFATE: Not even a variation of myself could defeat me… I have your power, you wretched oaf, and now it's time to hand things over to me.

God stood, then, golden light radiating from his skin. Through his thick and tangled brown beard he muttered to himself in some british dialect before he started laughing. The noise, rather than coming from the figure standing by the throne, seemed to come from everywhere, from Strangefate's very soul.

GOD: You are truly one of the strangest of my children. But you all serve your purpose in the end…

DR.STRANGEFATE: I don't think you understand. It's about time you learned your place beneath the Good Doctor Strangefate!

GOD: No… I think it's about time YOU learned your place.

With a flick of his wrist, Strangefate's wings and golden skin were gone, and he once again bore the pasty flesh of a human being. Another flick and the man was carried high into the cosmos above him. The lord of all creation followed, amused.

GOD: You think you know power?

A miniature Supernova was nearly blinding, but then the universe surrounding them began to move quickly. Suns crashed into suns. Entire Galaxies grew and died. The Universe aged in an instant. And suddenly a light came from the distance. The room shifted and zoomed into the planet Earth. God held it in his hand, and grinned widely at the Good Doctor.

GOD: You are nothing but a fragment of a fragment within the very existence to which I wrote the rules, and you think that picking up a mere aspect of my presence would be enough to prove anything close to a threat? You are truly insane.

DR.STRANGEFATE: But…

GOD: I only let you come so far, because to retrieve that aspect of power myself would be far too bothersome. You were content to come here, to confront me, and now that you're here, I can deal with the matter personally.

The Alpha and The Omega reached into the chest of the great Doctor Strangefate, and pulled out a white, glowing ball of energy. The entity that had called itself Lil Kis was free once again.

GOD: I won't lie to you… I admire your strength, and your thirst for power. You are the first of my creatures in eons that has even dared to cross me. I allowed him his existence too, as pitiful as it may be down in that wretched infernal pit, but I can see you've already crossed the path of the Angel Lucifer… First you will fall as he fell, and it will be terrible indeed. But you have your life ahead of you, not to mention the powerful magic you still carry within you. Consider it a gift.

The Good Doctor tried to move, tried to do anything. He was truly and utterly powerless then. His eyes radiated red power, but it was no more irritating to the Lord as sunbeam on a cloudy day.

GOD: I promise you this, Strangefate, you will never see me again. You shall never set foot in Heaven again, so take it in during these final moments.

DR.STRANGEFATE: This isn't over.

GOD: Oh, I assure you… It is.

A blast of white energy tore a hole through realities and Strangefate fell through it, flailing, with no wings to guide him in these final moments where his lifelong goal had been so thoroughly crushed. He disappeared from sight and the hole healed itself rather nicely. This War on Heaven was over.

CADUCEUS: You are as despicable as ever. All those people out there died because you were to lazy to clean up your own mess.

GOD: My wayward son… It is good to see you alive. I had felt your pain in my heart and merely assumed you to be dead.

CADUCEUS: You just sent one of the most powerful beings in creation back to the one place he can hurt the most innocent people, because you respect him?

GOD: My patience has already worn thin. I trust you are here to reclaim your rightful name and position as the Archangel Raguel.

CADUCEUS: I am Caduceus, and I will never serve you again.

He grabbed the still limp body of Dr.Doomsday and carried it out of the Throne Room, taking a moment to spit his own golden blood on the impeccably cleaned floors. He left, making his way back to the gate, and to the salvation of his friend. God let them go, and gladly. They were both important to what would happen next.

Undisturbed, as if today had been any ordinary day, the Lord of Creation sat in his throne and looked down at his children of the Earth, and smiled. The great drama continued, and though he knew the paths of the great and terrible men beneath him, he longed to see them play their parts.

EPILOGUE

Somewhere

The parking lot was abandoned, save for one pay phone. The master of magnetism sat cautiously aware of the people.

OURCHAIR: I'm telling you, he's out there somewhere, and we're going to need him.

A Hidden voice replied.

VOICE: He's failed once before.

OURCHAIR: This guy just took on God and lived to tell the tale! Even if he only had one-tenth of the power he had before, he'd still be more powerful than any of The Moderators.

VOICE: You say he lived, but how can you know?

OURCHAIR: Just trust me on this one.

VOICE: Very well. Find him, then, and bring him in. We've waited too long already to make a move.

OURCHAIR: I've got my best men on the job.

Somewhere Else

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: I haven't the faintest idea how we're going to find the old bastard.

SHADE: don't you have some sort of magic?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: As far as I can tell, he hasn't used any yet. Once he does, we're set. Until then… What does this Ourchair fella think I'm going to do? Check under every rock I see?

SHADE: what do you suggest?

HELLSBUTTMONKEY: Wanna catch a movie? My treat.

If Shade could have sighed, he would have.

SHADE: i don't see why not…

616 Central

Skott's new eye-patch was a dark green, complimenting the slightly lighter shaded, but still rather dark green suit he had taken to wearing around the headquarters. For the first time, he wore his military metals on his person, and asked the men beneath him to speak to him by his proper ranking, Lt. Colonel of the Collected Imperial Armed Forces. He tried to feel the pride the medals should have elicited within him, but he couldn't shake his doubts.

NURSE: Can I help you with something?

SKOTT: I'm only here to see Dr. Doomsday, he needs to be relieved for the next meeting of the Council.

The nurse tutted Skott as if he had any power over the Doctor's stay in the infirmary. A few moments later Doomsday appeared, walking with a cane, occasionally clutching at his broken ribs. He smiled at Skott from afar and ruffled his hair with his free hand once he got close enough.

SKOTT: They shouldn't be letting you go.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I've set this whole damn thing up, there's no way in hell I'm going to miss this session.

There was a transport waiting outside of the infirmary. A nameless soldier of the empire drove the car through long and winding corridors. Slowly, Dr.Doomsday's hand found Skott's and they exchanged a smile.

DR.DOOMSDAY: How are you?

SKOTT: I've been… Well, I've been better. But I think I'm going to be all right.

DR.DOOMSDAY: Have I told you that you look dashing in your eye-patch.

SKOTT: Heh…

DR.DOOMSDAY: I'm serious. You look like a classy pirate from ye olden days.

SKOTT: You're a cutie.

They kissed, briefly. Skott rested his head on Doomsday's shoulders.

DR.DOOMSDAY: I'm thinking we should take a little vacation soon, someplace warm where we can wind down from all of this. What do you think?

SKOTT: That sounds absolutely wonderful.

FOOT SOLDIER 85: We're here sir.

Doomsday stood uneasily from the cart, steadying himself with the cane by his side.

DR.DOOMSDAY: How do I look?

SKOTT: Handsome as always.

He smiled broadly before placing his hand on the scanner. The doors to the Council Room opened wide, and he stepped in slowly before all of the familiar faces.

ICE: Glad to have you back, Doctor. The Emperor sends you wishes of a speedy recovery. Shall we begin?

DR.DOOMSDAY: Indeed.

The Dark Doctor took his seat at the table, still wary of the process of sitting.

DR.DOOMSDAY: While we certainly took a toll one month ago today, my counterpart, Dr.Strangefate, was successfully prevented from reaching his goals. Having been rather painfully incapacitated in the process, I unfortunately do not have the full story of his defeat. So this seems as good a time as any to formally introduce you all to the newest member of The Moderating Council, The Angel Caduceus.

CADUCEUS: Thank you, Doctor. I left my post in heaven to make this world a better place, and I believe now more than ever that this is the proper arena in which to do that. I pledge allegiance wholeheartedly to The Emperor and to all of you. Now to the matter at hand…

Meanwhile, Skott had situated himself in front of his lover's computer. He quickly downloaded all the information regarding The Project and its location from the database and sent it in an encrypted email to Ultxon, as he had promised. As he hit the send button, he held his breath in fear of the consequences. More than anything he wanted to be sure that when he defected, he knew where to go.

The Project would be waiting for him.

An Internet Café in Chicago, IL

ULTXON: I've got the files…

He unplugged himself from the terminal and looked around.

BASS: Why do these frail humans spend their money to come to a place where they can use a communications device rather than just go outside and speak to one another without paying money?

GOTHAMITE: Will you just shut it already? We're getting enough looks with the Robot in the hooded sweatshirt over here, not to mention a blue guy.

PLANET-MAN: Plus, you're starting to sound like my mom.

ULTXON: Quiet all of you. Let's get back to the hotel… Hopefully this will give us enough to hunt down The Project and join the resistance properly.

They left quickly, doing their best not to draw anyone's attention.

The screen on the computer Ultxon had been used flickered on and off. A blue screen appeared, with white text reading: PROJECT: MAVERICKER INITIATED. NOW ONLINE.

Deep in the Forests of Russia

The crater smoked as it had the day previous, and the day before that. The shape within it shuddered and woke with a start. Every bone in his body seemed to be broken. He could barely move, breathing even seemed a chore. He knew he would not die. He had been given the wretched gift of life, and now he was doomed never to see either Heaven nor Hell again as long as he existed.

Dr.Strangefate remembered what it meant to be weak, what it meant to be human once more, but he further remembered that even at his most human, he had one ability that set him apart from the rest. He screamed as he allowed his flesh to take its form as organic steel. But finally, he found the strength to move. He felt no cold here, and his broken bones conformed to the hard exoskeleton that now held him together.

Charred remains of campers caught within his wake as he plummeted to Earth from the far corners of the cosmos decorated the edge of the crater. He found a dark green picnic blanket and wrapped it around himself.

The Good Doctor Strangefate wandered, broken and lonely, into the landscape around him.

THE END

Latest posts

Back