Ultimate Comics Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

I read your post and I understood your post. You just said that you don't know who Rage is and I just posted a link to show you who that was. You know to help you know who Rage is. I'm not say it is Rage, I'm just pointing out that it looks like Rage, ok... :D

I said that Millar probably didn't know who Rage was, not me.

Unless you think I am Mark Millar... then this whole thing makes perfect sense.

I said that Millar probably didn't know who Rage was, not me.

Unless you think I am Mark Millar... then this whole thing makes perfect sense.

:oops:

... Ok, it looks like I skipped that part. But in my defence I was in a hurry. I had to go work with my dad for an hour for a little extra cash. And I was running a little late.

Can i ask a question?

I won't be able to get this issue for ages.

So what's going on with new Wasp/Swarm. I thought New Wasp was going to be Jocasta, that's what was hinted in Ultimatum. Also i thought Swarm dies. So what is actually going on?

I doubt Millar knows who Rage is.

Another Yu page, this time showing Ultimate Ghost Rider:

get-attachment-3.jpg

Beautiful.

So, Gregory Stark feels like Millar trying to write an Ellis character.

He's not very good at it.

The new Wasp as a living bullet is a cool idea though.

Last edited:

I think the euphoria of Millar writing Ultimates again has worn off. I really didn't like this last issue. It felt vey Loeb-ish to me.

I think I'm done with it.

I think the euphoria of Millar writing Ultimates again has worn off.

I can agree with that.

I really didn't like this last issue. It felt vey Loeb-ish to me.

But right here is where you lost me. Loeb-ish? Seriously? Saying Millar's writing are anything like Loeb's is giving Loeb far too much credit.

I think the euphoria of Millar writing Ultimates again has worn off. I really didn't like this last issue. It felt vey Loeb-ish to me.

I think I'm done with it.

Really? I thought this was the best issue yet. It still wasn't great, but it was better than the first two by a long shot.

I also agree with the feeling above - This comic is good so far, but not great. I can't describe the anticipation I felt waiting for an issue of Ultimates vol 1 or 2 to come out. I certainly don't feel that for this comic. HOWEVER - for me personally, its at least closer to that end of the spectrum than being Loeb-esque.

'When the world hands you lemons, make lemonade'

Millar's at LEAST making lemonade, and Loeb handed him feces.

Can i ask a question?

I won't be able to get this issue for ages.

So what's going on with new Wasp/Swarm. I thought New Wasp was going to be Jocasta, that's what was hinted in Ultimatum. Also i thought Swarm dies. So what is actually going on?

Swarm (who, for whatever reason, calls herself The Insect Queen...did they ever call her Swarm back in Ultimates 2?) got "put back together" after Grand Theft America. That's literally how it's worded in the issue and is also, I assume, why she wears such a stupid-looking costume. She must need it to live.

Lol I really don't know how she could've been put back together seeing as how she was flattened like a pancake by Wasp.

Why not just take Jan and put her "back together"? If Swarm could survive being flattened by a pancake then I'm sure Jan could somehow get pieced back together....

Swarm (who, for whatever reason, calls herself The Insect Queen...did they ever call her Swarm back in Ultimates 2?) got "put back together" after Grand Theft America. That's literally how it's worded in the issue and is also, I assume, why she wears such a stupid-looking costume. She must need it to live.

The costume is an homage to Wasp's original costume, I think.

Lol I really don't know how she could've been put back together seeing as how she was flattened like a pancake by Wasp.

Or how Tony Stark has a smarter, less moral, older brother who has never been mentioned before. Seriously, all that hassle Fury went to in order to get Stark Tech, and here was a more 'evil', sober, Stark. The idea a player of that caliber hasn't been mentioned before is ludicrous.

This is kinda my problem with this whole issue - it's one thing to add to and develop the backstory to characters in the series, it's another to just add things that simply don't make sense. What's worse is that the reason for them is so annoyingly shallow. Why is Gregory Stark there? If Millar want's Tony, why not use Tony? If he doesn't want Tony, why have a character whose entire identity is, "Tony's Brother". If he needs a financier for the team, why not have Helmut Zemo? Have this guy help fund the Ultimates and as the arc continues, he tries to sieze it.

But here's another problem - one of the things that made the Ultimates work was that the Ultimates, firstly, were RARE. There was maybe a dozen supeheroes of their caliber on the planet. That's why they let a total drunk with no military training be Iron Man. Why Hank Pym was Giant-Man. When the Reserves got made, it created a supherhuman arms race, and all the Reserves were copies of those same heroes. The arms race then resulted in a huge war.

So it stretches the credibility of the team - a bloated, military industrial complex - if they can keep finding new copies of the same superheroes, the superheroes become less special, less amazing, and the repeatable nature of the team makes it feel like cookie-cutter stories.

Yes, War Machine being a transformer is cool, but I just am disappointed because this is just a rehash of what we've seen. None of the characters are interesting because they're just repeats of previous characters taken to a shallow extreme. And what's happening right now? Captain America is on the run. This is like... his fourth time. I'm sick and tired of Captain America "going rogue" and underground.

Blech. Its' not bad. It's not as rubbish as Grand Theft America, but it's just... it's just so bland. I don't care about the characters, it doesn't seem to fit with what we've already established, and it's just a pale shadow of what it was.

Dammit. :(

There is no gregory stark. It is a Kang manipulation of the time stream as Loki manipulated reality off camera.

My theory...

I do like the theory that Gregory Stark is actually Kang and think that it is probably true.

Last edited:

I can agree with that.

But right here is where you lost me. Loeb-ish? Seriously? Saying Millar's writing are anything like Loeb's is giving Loeb far too much credit.

Ok, so maybe "Loeb-ish" is a little harsh. This is better. Just not up to par with Millars previous work on Ultimates. I guess what I meant, and this is hard to explain, this title feels like it is within the framework that Loeb created with Ultimatum and is trying to un-do what was done and get back to some sort of status quo. Which is fine in and of itself. What I didn't like is how Millar is choosing to do that. Clone Hulk (Clulk?) Odd Spiderman guy? New Black Widow and new Wasp. Why do we need new characters representing other well known characters? If the team needs a new strong guy why can't another character be ultimized? Why does it need to be a clone of Hulk? Or if we want a size changer why does it have to be a new wasp? Why do we need a "mystery" Spiderman? That all just seems kind of lazy to me. (I'm not sure lazy is the right word but it'll have to do)

Latest posts

Back