Ultimate Comics Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

Re: Ultimate Avengers (Discussion & Spoilers)

This series is exactly what I was worried it would be: Millar writing at his Ultimate X-Men level.

This series is exactly what I was worried it would be: Millar writing at his Ultimate X-Men level.

I loved Millar's Ultimate X-Men.

I loved Millar's Ultimate X-Men.
And I as well.

I'm enjoying the series so far. I didn't really expect anything Ultimates-esque because really, it's not. It's Ultimate Avengers. Something different and so it'll have a different feeling.

Millar's X-Men was the ****. Easily tied for second best with Ellis's FF and Bendis's Spider-Man.

I agree. His Ultimate X-Men had its moments but overall was weak and easy. This is much the same.

Why does he have to be a pre-existing character?

Because the Ultimate titles, unfortunately, are built on "who are we going to reimagine NOW?!" Which is tragic since, originally, it was meant to be a new starting point, and all it does is regurgitate older Marvel stories.

It's so ingrained into the imprint that if someone isn't a redo, he's not 'real' or important. Which is kinda fair since the 'new' characters have all been atrocious: Geldoff, Syndicate, Magician... the only good 'new' characters I can think of are Kleiser and Kong.

I don't think it's even that good. THE TOMORROW PEOPLE was so very exciting.

THE TOMORROW PEOPLE was so very exciting.

The way you worded that makes me think you're being sarcastic. But I can't tell b/c you're from the UK and British people actually use phrases like "so very exciting"

I'm ever so confused

cheerio

I WAS NOT BEING SARCASTIC.

And to think of all the times I've defended your weak, Canadian blood!

I thought Millar's UXM run sucked...
In fact the only arc from his whole run I enjoyed was his last (Return of the King I think) :(
It wasn't interesting enough for me, I couldn't get myself to like any of the characters at all, and the plots were pretty meh IMO. Also, for some reason it didn't feel X-Men for me.
It still boggles my mind that it was the same person writing a title as good as the Ultimates :?

I WAS NOT BEING SARCASTIC.

And to think of all the times I've defended your weak, Canadian blood!

when have you defended me?

to be honest, I love the way British people talk. And not in a condescending North American "the rest of the world is quaint but they should be more like us" way, in a "I lived in Britain as a kid and think their accents and phrases are awesome" way.

Doesn't mean I won't poke fun at it from time to time.

Anyway, I should FINALLY be picking up issue #3 tomorrow.

I thought Millar's UXM run sucked...
In fact the only arc from his whole run I enjoyed was his last (Return of the King I think) :(
It wasn't interesting enough for me, I couldn't get myself to like any of the characters at all, and the plots were pretty meh IMO. Also, for some reason it didn't feel X-Men for me.
It still boggles my mind that it was the same person writing a title as good as the Ultimates :?

I agree with pretty much all of this. I don't understand what people see in Millar's run. All I saw were a ton of wasted Ultimizations and it wasn't until BKV took over that they started to get them right.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I don't understand what people see in Millar's run. All I saw were a ton of wasted Ultimizations and it wasn't until BKV took over that they started to get them right.

Yeah, I don't know how much of Millar's run I've read but the first volume was incredible over the top and ridiculous for the Ultimate Universe. Great ideas and set up, but just way too much.

Oh, all the time. Not necessarily on the board or anywhere you could've heard it. But... at least, I know I did with my inside voice.

:)

[inside voice]what a jolly good friend you are

I'm ever so ashamed of myself! [/inside voice]

I got Issue three today. Did anyone else notice the hat Cap was wearing when the team was staking him out? He was wearing a Toronto Blue Jays cap (with the logo used from 97-02)

I just found that funny.

I actually quite liked the bits that Bendis did. Were those before or after BKV? Anyways, his bit with Spidey and Wolverine was delightful. Way better than he handled the same teamup later on in USM.

Yeah, I don't know how much of Millar's run I've read but the first volume was incredible over the top and ridiculous for the Ultimate Universe. Great ideas and set up, but just way too much.

Right - that's the key. Everything else is a lot less comic book-y in the UU and this just didn't follow it. There was nothing unique about it. One thing in particular that I remember having a problem with was the Sentinels and the general acceptance of them among regular people. Who would just accept giant robots flying around? Why would giant robots even be flying around? Compare that to how, later, BKV handled Mojo and Longshot.

I actually quite liked the bits that Bendis did. Were those before or after BKV? Anyways, his bit with Spidey and Wolverine was delightful. Way better than he handled the same teamup later on in USM.

Bendis was just before BKV. I didn't think there was anything special about his run but it wasn't bad. The one where Wolverine had to kill the kid was one of Bendis's best individual issues he's ever written.

Bendis was just before BKV. I didn't think there was anything special about his run but it wasn't bad. The one where Wolverine had to kill the kid was one of Bendis's best individual issues he's ever written.

That issue was freakin' great. I think it's the second best issue I've ever read, after that one with Spidey called "The Kid That Collected Spider-Man" or something like that...
Mojo's arc was pretty good too, it's a shame his arc with Deadpool on USM was so ****ty :?

Latest posts

Back