Ultimate Conspiracy, Galactus, and the Origin of Mutanity

Bass

Nexus of the World
I noticed something, and I think I'll try to make sense of it.

I was reading Millar's last run on Ultimate X-Men, and I think, because of all the Ultimate Thor/ Galactus thinking I've been doing, and because I might be going mad, I saw the design of the universe - and it wasn't a snowflake.

There are, in the Ultimate universe, an almost uncountable amount of references of superhumans as weapons.

They are called "Persons of Mass Destruction", the Ultimates are a military installation led by a super Soldier, Iron Man's armour is a prototype military vehicle, mutants were kept as weapons in the Weapon X facility, Magneto's first foray into terrorism involved using a mutant called Detonator as a human bomb, the Fantastic Four are a military think tank, Pym, Wasp and Banner work for SHIELD, so will Spider-Man when he comes of age, Green Goblin was created during military research for SHIELD, the Hulk is a weapon of last resort, and on and on.

And we know Galactus is coming, and in Ultimate Secret, Mahr Vehl (or whoever is in charge of him) is trying to keep Earth from visiting other worlds (obviously in an attempt to prevent Galactus from discovering Earth - which makes me wonder where Uatu fits in all this - perhaps he's at the bottom of Nightmare?).

The super soldier serum was first made successful during WW2; which is when the first major open strike by an alien race, the Chitauri, was made. It's not inconceivable, that with this proof, and the 1904 Tunguska blast, that real-life aliens, and their plans for Earth, were made known to very high levels.

Remember, Banner once said everything's connected. And Kong once mentioned that all the superheroes are showing up because something bad is on the horizon (using the Ghostbusters as a reference).

This danger would be Galactus.

What if all the superheroes, the mutants and the freaks, have been created as weapons to use against Galactus?

In the final part of "Return of the King", Magneto points out Xavier has human paymasters. But the Hellfire club is gone. And that Magneto seems to know Xavier has a much further-reaching agenda than training young mutants.

Are mutants the most successful, but most unstable and uncontrollable variant of the super soldier serum? Or maybe, mutant dna was used to synthesise the serum as Pym used Wasp to create Ant-Man and Giant-Man. The former seems likely, and Xavier and Magneto are very aware of their role and origins, but its possible that they don't neccessarily know about Galactus, or perhaps they don't believe in him. (Which would explain Xavier's total refusal to accept the Phoenix - he's heard crazier tales of Galactus, and he doesn't believe them to be true either.)

If you look back at all of Bendis' and Millar's Ultimates works with the thought that superheroes have been created and harnessed as weapons to be fought in a war against Galactus, certain things really jump out at you.

It would seem this revelation, and the indisputable appearance of Galactus, is what has been building in the Ultimate line for years, and what will shape it.

PS: If this has been mentioned earlier, I apologise. I only joined yesterday and haven't read many posts on this forum.

PPS: The last time my mind went on a bender to discover a series mysteries were Babylon 5 and Crusade. Sniff. I never did find out where the cure to the plague would come from... but I was right about Techno-mages. :D

Last edited:
Very interesting theory. But if the development of supersoldiers and mutants was connected to the arrival of galactus, I would think that this would be a crossover on the scale of onslaught, rather than a mini.
However, that's not to say that there is a connection between the mutants and supersoldiers, and extraterrestrial intervention. It is indeed certainly very possible that what landed in russia did set the ball rolling for the mutations to occur, and who is to say that what is in that bunker isn't already known by someone over fury's head, and has actually been utilised in the past by the US.

but, I don't think it's a watcher. To introduce galactus, mahr vehl, and another extraterrestrial would perhaps be too much. And a watcher would (I feel) need a bit more than a few pages to explain it.

Wow - tying EVERYthing together as Bendis hinted (not just Cap, Spidey, Green Goblin, etc.). I really like the idea, and no, I don't believe it has ever been mentioned in that way on this site.

Your theory reminds me of Earth X in many ways, which, of course, is the most brilliantly planned and executed story tying EVERYTHING together ever written. The thought of an entire universe following this example rather than just an alternate reality warms my heart. :D

That said, pretty much the only thing I would change about your theory would be to make this much more evolutionary - not having Magneto or Xavier, for example, know anything about it. It could just be natural evolution, or this could all be Uatu's (or someone like him) doing. It makes more sense in the same way that Earth X worked so well.

Stuff like this is exactly why I created this site. Bravo. :D

UltimateE said:
That said, pretty much the only thing I would change about your theory would be to make this much more evolutionary - not having Magneto or Xavier, for example, know anything about it. It could just be natural evolution, or this could all be Uatu's (or someone like him) doing. It makes more sense in the same way that Earth X worked so well.

Just to steal and expand upon this idea, I think it would be better if Uatu (If he does appear) has been guiding the evolution of humanity but is not an active participant. Thats not the role of the Watcher.

Actually Ultimate E, I was logging on to post an amendment to my theory, but I'm glad I've given your forum (and by extension, you) purpose. :wink: Seriously, thanks for starting these forums, I spent ages looking for a place like these. Now I can voice my insanity.

Also, I loved Earth X. I had all those Marvel Universe character files, all 30+ volumes, and I read them all. I mean, I'd never read a comic including them, but I knew who the Celestials, Elders, and Eternals were, I knew about He Who Remained, I knew about all the Marvel mysteries. And my god, Earth X made PERFECT sense. I think it's a bit wordy, but it really is top-notch stuff. But I honestly wasn't thinking of Earth X when I posted my theory - but I think the Celestials don't play a part in the Ultimate universe, or the Elders, but we'll see.

But onto the amendment:

Mutanity is the next step in evolution - but someone has purposely jump started it.

Magneto and Xavier, the original mutants, discover that they are proper evolutionary paragons, but that this evolution has been advanced. Magneto decides that since mutants are supposed to replace humanity, let's do it know, while Xavier wants the exact same thing, but will do it through methods which won't result in bloodshed. Both neither aware (or believing in) Galactus.

Which made me think: who would jump start evolution, and if they could do it once, why create a super soldier serum?

I can't answer the question, and while the Tunguska blast might be responsible for mutants popping up (and therefore the super soldier serum is a more controlled version) in order to prepare the armies of man for Galactus I'll know tomorrow when I pick up Ultimate Nightmare #5 (weather permitting) since I live in the UK and we get our deliveries on Thursday.

I got a slight chill later though, while walking in the snow. What if there are two factions: one is trying to prevent Galactus' awareness of Earth, since there is no escape from Galactus. This faction, it appears, is in Ultimate Secret. But what if the other faction is purposely trying to make Earth a target for Galactus? That there is another faction desperately trying to kill Galactus and they're going to use Earth and its man-weapons to take him down.

But then, I think I'm over-thinking things, since these factions have not been seen yet - these are just assumptions. We'll see.

Anyone anxious to see the Ultimate Ultimate Nullifier?

Last edited:
"The duration is a going to be longer than the war." - Some famous person, probably a writer or military leader, I forget.

But after Galactus, the revelations of his arrival and the build up to it would form a basis for the next 2 years - and after that, we've got the universe to explore. Do you think that once the Ultimate Universe has a taste of Galactus, its not going to go out further to see more? Plus, if Galactus truly is defeated - this is will be the FIRST time Galactus has ever been appeased, turning Earth into some kind of safe haven or religious site, where the Devil of the universe was actually defeated.

I mean, after Earth X, we got Universe X, then Paradise X. If it takes 5 years to do Earth X in the Ultimate universe (well, kinda), then that's 15 years before anyone at Marvel has to think of something new. :wink:

But I'm sure that Galactus' aftermath is as well planned as its build-up, although it will be different. Change can be very, very good.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You think they're willing to bring in all the space garbage so that the whole realistic feel to it will get thrown right out the window... hmmmm... I dunno about that.
But as E said, it's still comics. You can try to take something out of a comic, but no matter what, a comic is a comic.

Know what I mean?

The galactus arc is a mini, a trilogy of minis. It won't be the be all and end all.
I like that everything is interlinked, honestly, given the realism of the UU, mutants are a little "out there" (eye beams indeed - pffft), but we accept them because we know them, and there is no real well developed explanation. these are just the dynamics of the world we're dealing with (comics are comics).
But 'gah lak tus' won't win, he cannot eat the earth, too much is at stake, not least of all... the readership.
But I am certainly a fan of Xavier and Magneto not accepting the reason that you have given, it makes sense to me, it makes sense from a human point of view. And certainly given the arrogance of both of them. (gotta love the manipulative Xavier)
As far as I can see, the only way to resolve this arc is for a compromise to be made... but a compromise with whom? Two things out there that want to destroy us.
But everything could be a construct of a watcher, but I think that will have to come after this arc. This arc will leave all of the rest as they are, apart from the ultimates. But they will go through constant change anyway.

I was thinking - anyone remember Grant Morrison's fantabulous run on New X-Men? He came up with an extremely clever twist on Weapon X, by saying that the "X" was the Roman numeral "X", thus 10. Wolverine was Weapon 10, and, it's discovered, Captain America was Weapon 1.

Now, if we look at the Ultimate Universe, it seems calling Captain America Weapon 1 makes a LOT of sense, as everyone has been trying to recreate, improve, and stockpile on Captain Americas. Maybe, mutants are all Weapon Xs, the 10th step in superpower generations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bendis and Millar and Ellis used, in some fashion, Morrison's take on the Weapon X institution. Morrison had a bloody good idea there...

Bass said:
I was thinking - anyone remember Grant Morrison's fantabulous run on New X-Men? He came up with an extremely clever twist on Weapon X, by saying that the "X" was the Roman numeral "X", thus 10. Wolverine was Weapon 10, and, it's discovered, Captain America was Weapon 1.

Now, if we look at the Ultimate Universe, it seems calling Captain America Weapon 1 makes a LOT of sense, as everyone has been trying to recreate, improve, and stockpile on Captain Americas. Maybe, mutants are all Weapon Xs, the 10th step in superpower generations.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bendis and Millar and Ellis used, in some fashion, Morrison's take on the Weapon X institution. Morrison had a bloody good idea there...

Niiice thought :twisted:

You know a while back I had a idea about something like this, keep in mind I thought of this before The Tempest arc in UXM, but it was Apocalypse that was behind the super-soldier formulas and the weapon x program. The only reason he was doing all this was to have his survival of the fittest thing. I like the idea that everything that as happened as been building up to Galactus even better. Do you think we will see Ultimate Sliver Surfer or The Greatest Comic Character Ever Ego, The Living Planet. I just kidding about the greatest character thing because I don't want to get yelled at.

thee great one said:
I just kidding about the greatest character thing because I don't want to get yelled at.

:lol: Sheesh are we really that bad?

We're an internet chat page. We must be.

That said, Apocalypse is, in 616, the first mutant. If someone has been purposely jumpstarting mutants for their own purposes, it could be Apocalypse's DNA that is responsible for Magneto, Xavier, and the others in the same way Vision was responsible for the nightmares.

Bass said:
We're an internet chat page. We must be.

That said, Apocalypse is, in 616, the first mutant. If someone has been purposely jumpstarting mutants for their own purposes, it could be Apocalypse's DNA that is responsible for Magneto, Xavier, and the others in the same way Vision was responsible for the nightmares.
Eh? :?

Bass said:
When you said:

Bass said:

And I said, "Eh?", I meant why would that happen? I seriously doubt it.

Oh, I'm just ruminating that mutanity may have been jumpstarted (if you check my thread "Origin of Mutanity") and that Apocalypse might be involved in that way, based on what was said in this forum about Apocalypse possibly being behind the super soldier serum.

's all.

Latest posts

Back