Ultimate Extinction #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

Victor Von Doom said:
I did like Reeds briefing. Even though we know that the heros will save the day and everyone lives....it made it seem as if Earth was S.O.L!!!!

Me too.

RUFUS! said:
i really need to get this issue, was the silver surfer reveal a double page spread?

Full page.

Hang on just a minute.

I had assumed that the tatoo on the bald chicks upper arm was an indication that she was Moon Dragon but......... this is so obvious I can't believe I didn't pick up on it, especially after the recent UFF issue.

The tatoo is a green dragon.

Victor Von Doom said:
While it's still too early to speculate...I don't think Dr Doom has anything to do with the Gah Lak Tus storyline.

He could easily be a main player, reluctantly teaming with Reed to save the world and his people. I mean, Ellis did write the Doom arc too, and the dragon tatoo was so unique and suggestive. There are a load more ways to introduce Moon Dragon other than showing a tatoo on her, it can't just be coincidence can it?

All the stuff pertaining to Gah Lak Tus was in the preview. The rest is just Misty Knight and her crime adventures.

Whatever.

I'm sure it'll pick up, but it won't get started until #3. Seriously. We have to go through the whole, telling Misty Knight about Gah Lak Tus part of the story and the "who is the angel man" part of the story. Ugh. It's a little late in the trilogy to introduce new 'players', I think.

I'm sure it'll have a corking last two issues, but so far, I don't care. The desperate atmosphere of trying to find a way to survive Gah Lak Tus is undercut by Wilma Smith and her I, Robot bull****.

Bass said:
by Wilma Smith and her I, Robot bull****.
:lol: :lol:

Interesting thoughts...

Fuzz Birds said:
He could easily be a main player, reluctantly teaming with Reed to save the world and his people. I mean, Ellis did write the Doom arc too, and the dragon tatoo was so unique and suggestive. There are a load more ways to introduce Moon Dragon other than showing a tatoo on her, it can't just be coincidence can it?

Another small hint of Dr. Doom in titles outside of UFF? You know I'm all for it. I would think if that's the case he'd send Moondragon to stop Surfer so that Earth would fail.

Misty Knight. Cybernetic Arm? Got it, thanks. About her being "useless" If after she uncovers Silver Surfer she falls off the pages into limbo, I really wouldn't mind. How else should Surfer be discovered? Captain America stumbles on to him? You know how I feel about things being too coincidental. Misty was just an innocent "special" person who came across Surfer. I doubt she'll disappear but she'll probably end up like Sam, Danvers, and get sucked into this little adventure. Silver Surfer is the key to Earth's salvation and right now Misty Knight is the only one who has scratched that surface while Nick Fury & Co. are running in circles scratching their heads.

E, I agree about "Who/What is Gah Lak Tus?" It hasn't been answered yet and I believe we're going to see more behind these "bullets" Gah Lak Tus will be a single entity behind all of this.

At the risk of going off topic...

Now that we have some idea about Knight's role in the larger storyline, does anybody else suspect that Ellis wanted to use Monica Rambeau in Misty Knight's role, but the editors didn't want him to Ultimize her, for whatever reason?

It would make sense for it to be Rambeau, since, just like Mahr-Vell and Danvers, her 616 counterpart used the word 'Marvel' in her code-name.

compound said:
At the risk of going off topic...

Now that we have some idea about Knight's role in the larger storyline, does anybody else suspect that Ellis wanted to use Monica Rambeau in Misty Knight's role, but the editors didn't want him to Ultimize her, for whatever reason?

It would make sense for it to be Rambeau, since, just like Mahr-Vell and Danvers, her 616 counterpart used the word 'Marvel' in her code-name.
I dunno. It's an interesting point but I think they really wanted Misty in the role. There's no reason to have a P.I. and not look through characters and not taking Misty.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I dunno. It's an interesting point but I think they really wanted Misty in the role. There's no reason to have a P.I. and not look through characters and not taking Misty.
Well, not exactly... It just feels like a stretch for Knight to be involved in a cosmic-level story, because she's (at best) a C-lister in 616, who has always existed within the more ground-level areas of the Marvel Universe.

By comparison, Rambeau's essential gimmick is that she's an ordinary citizen (a lieutenant in the New Orleans harbor patrol) who is fated to become involved with forces much greater than herself. Which is precisely the role Ultimate Misty Knight finds herself in, right now.

(Ellis is obviously aware of Rambeau's character history in 616, because he apparently plans to use it to define her personality in Nextwave.)

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
E, I agree about "Who/What is Gah Lak Tus?" It hasn't been answered yet and I believe we're going to see more behind these "bullets" Gah Lak Tus will be a single entity behind all of this.

Thank you - I can't believe after all the speculation we had based on those Peterson drawings that were released that no one else is talking about this.

I really dug this issue.

It was typical that it was an issue that followed what we had heard over the time the title was delayed, but it was still reasonably enjoyable.

For one thing, I really enjoyed Misty Knight's character. Warren Ellis would do well writing for Lost or something - he introduces the character but gives subtle hints to the character's past to flesh out the character with an extroadinary pace. Already, I think Knight fits into the Ultimate Universe like a glove and she's only had half of an issue.

Also, the suspicious cult that Silver Surfer belongs to also has me scratching my head. This is a good thing. I suppose the cult is either trying to preserve Earth or to ensure Galactus is going to destroy the Earth. In my opinion, the Silver Surfer is the mastermind behind the entire extinction... A lot of you are speculating that there is a character or thing acting alone responsible... The Silver Surfer is my guess. I think that would be a cool ultimization.

I don't like Silver Surfer's wings, though.

Not too much else to say... Moon Dragon was interesting, although I'd really love to know what she knows about the Silver Surfer that we don't. Hopefully, there'll be some answers next issue.

I'm wondering...is Silver Surfer a mutant? An alien? Possibly even some type of robot?

And as for Gah Lak Tus...I'm thinking we just might see a giant, man-like creature/alien as the actual Big G. Who just happens to control swarms of giant bug-like planet-core suckers...like a cosmic mosquito or something.

DIrishB said:
I'm wondering...is Silver Surfer a mutant? An alien? Possibly even some type of robot?

And as for Gah Lak Tus...I'm thinking we just might see a giant, man-like creature/alien as the actual Big G. Who just happens to control swarms of giant bug-like planet-core suckers...like a cosmic mosquito or something.

The Ultimates: Oh my God! There's a person amongst the bugs! Its...

BENDIS!

Don't scare me like that. Ellis is crazy enough to write that into Extinction and the Marvel editting staff would do a better job while they're sleeping, so... Don't joke!

Also, did everyone's issue come in a different kind of material?

Goodwill said:
Don't scare me like that. Ellis is crazy enough to write that into Extinction and the Marvel editting staff would do a better job while they're sleeping, so... Don't joke!

Also, did everyone's issue come in a different kind of material?

I think you're like the only one on the site who has subscriptions...maybe a few others. I keep meaning to sign up for subscriptions, but I always put it off.

DIrishB said:
I think you're like the only one on the site who has subscriptions...maybe a few others. I keep meaning to sign up for subscriptions, but I always put it off.

I picked Ultimate Extinction up and it the cover was made in a different material than the other Ultimate titles. I was just wondering if that happened to the rest of you... I don't want to have a faulty issue.

Goodwill said:
I picked Ultimate Extinction up and it the cover was made in a different material than the other Ultimate titles. I was just wondering if that happened to the rest of you... I don't want to have a faulty issue.

Oh, duhhh...my bad. I'm sure yours is the same as everyone else's. Its unlikely they altered the type of paper in the middle of a printing, but its possible. Either way, I wouldn't call it "faulty". You got your story, no pages missing, no dialogue cut off, etc, so whats the problem?

Latest posts

Back