Ultimate Extinction #1 Discussion (Spoilers)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
:sure: What the **** is going on!?

Ok, we get the detailed description of what Gah Lak Tus does. It's Reed, Sue, Sam, Carol, and Nick in the room as seen in the previews. Basicly Galactus sends a pyschic pre-attack scaring inhabitants so that they can't prep a proper counter attack. Then he sends his bullets down who send out a virus that wipes out humanity by burning their flesh. The bullets then drill into the Earth and absorb it's energies leaving no chance for a planet to repopulate.

Cut to Misty Knight. She's a P.I. who is asked to find some millionaires wife. That's basicly it. So she finds the cult this guys wife has joined and waits across the street covertly taking pictures. She then waits for the leader to come out. Here's the weird-interesting part the leader is covered in a yellow robe and he throws off his robe and.... bam! Ultimate Silver Surfer. The Cult then gets shot at from another location by A bald chick (Ultimate Moon Dragon?) Misty chases her and gets attacked. Misty's arm gets cut and is revealed to be metallic? Misty Knight's a robot too (?)

A lot of questions that need answering. It was all right, not great but will probably get much better. I also didn't like Misty talking to herself so much.

3/5

It's funny because I think he is a form of herald here too. I think the cult is some form of salvation from the coming threat.
are there any hints to it? maybe he's gonna be the one to save earth in the end :wink:

Most Important Question of the Day:

Does it say whether it comes before or after Ultimates 2?

TheManWithoutFear said:
No. I thought we already established it was before.

It probably is, it just would have made more sense if it was after. Oh well.

3.5. Decent. Started off extremely strong but like MwoF by the end of the book I was saying, "Whaaaaa???"

Gah Lak Tus is just awesome. Psychic attacks, flesh eating virus - cool.

The real question of the day is - what is Gah lak Tus? Because if I'm reading and understanding right, it's NOT the swarm of robots that look like 616 Galactus's head. Those are the "bullets" as Reed called him. They do all the dirty work. They crack the earth open and beam the power they get from draining the core back to Gah Lak Tus.

And oh yeah - Surfer as a cult leader - awesome. I agree that this group is part of Earth's salvation - this isnt' Jim Jones we're seeing.

UltimateE said:
3.5. Decent. Started off extremely strong but like MwoF by the end of the book I was saying, "Whaaaaa???"

Gah Lak Tus is just awesome. Psychic attacks, flesh eating virus - cool.

The real question of the day is - what is Gah lak Tus? Because if I'm reading and understanding right, it's NOT the swarm of robots that look like 616 Galactus's head. Those are the "bullets" as Reed called him. They do all the dirty work. They crack the earth open and beam the power they get from draining the core back to Gah Lak Tus.

And oh yeah - Surfer as a cult leader - awesome. I agree that this group is part of Earth's salvation - this isnt' Jim Jones we're seeing.
Totally agree on everything. The ending made me go, "Wait, this is how the issue ends?!" But overall, it was cool, and the art seems better than it was in UXM.

That's what I thought when Ultimate Secret Issue 1 ended too. Just an explosion, remember??

i'm so pissed...i went to my comic book store today to pick this up, and the trucks from diamond broke down so ALL of the new comics coming to oklahoma are delayed till tomorrow...boooo

TheManWithoutFear said:
Misty's arm gets cut and is revealed to be metallic? Misty Knight's a robot too (?)

No, its mentioned in the issue Misty was in an accident or something and her arm was obviously severly injured enough to the point it had to be amputated, or already was. She got a cybernetic replacement arm based off of Tony Stark's Irontech technology. This also might be a precursor to post-Ultimates 2 Nick Fury.

Random said:
Surfer a cult leader, interesting

I agree.

Lynx said:
Most Important Question of the Day:

Does it say whether it comes before or after Ultimates 2?

It occurs before Ultimates 2. This is evident by the fact that the Triskelion is shown in Ultimate Extinction (completely intact, pre-Ultimates 2 #9), and Nick Fury is sporting both arms.

Anyway, I wasn't blown away by this issue either. I agree with some others that the Misty Knight intro just felt wrong. Mainly because it was far too drawn out. At the least it did lead into an important plot point involving Silver Surfer, and did raise many questions. Whats Surfer's deal? Why is Moondragon trying to kill him and his acolytes? Where does Moondragon get her hair done?

Anyway, this one gets a 3/5.

I liked everything about Gah Lak Tus. I'm worried this side story with misty knight is going to be nothing, but crap yet be vitle to defeating Gah Lak Tus. On a side note, I'm glad it almost shipped on time.

I just thought up a crazy theory for how Silver Surfer will save Ultimate Earth. In my theory his power is to drain energy from living beings and redirect it for multiple purposes. As a cult leader, he uses this energy to heal people at the expense of the dead. In extinction, he drains power from Gah Lak Tus to bring back those who have died as a result of his arrival and rebuild what he destroyed. There by returning the world to it's normal state.

My boring idea is Jean turns into the Phoenix and hurts Gah Lak Tus causing him to flee. This would mean everything that's happening with Silver Surfer goes nowhere.

4/5

Last edited:
I like the Surfer. Reed's exposition was boring though.

I really really liked the first couple lines from Sam, kinda set the tone for the whole book.

Art's nice too. Yeah.

Slow start.....although I'm surprised they introduced Silver Sufer so quickly.....and then followed it with a weak chase scenario.

If anything I would've left out the whole assassin part and had Silver Surver's decloaking and exposing his (horrible) wings be the full page splash cliffhanger.

I did like Reeds briefing. Even though we know that the heros will save the day and everyone lives....it made it seem as if Earth was S.O.L!!!!

2/5

Latest posts

Back