Ultimate Extinction #2 (SPOILERS)

Goodwill

Man, what a great issue...

The interaction between the characters is what I liked best, though. The conflict between Reed and Fury was great and Captain America gave us an Academy Award-winning performance this time around... Best Cap characterization I've seen, I think. I can't say enough about Misty Knight, either. She's a good addition to the cast of the trilogy and I hope she sticks around after all is said and done.

What's cool about this issue? How Galactus/Silver Surfer is shaping up. Without a doubt, Silver Surfer is trying to see to it that Earth meets its unfortunate fate... I really like that about him. Also, while the "mind" of Galactus may be odd, it's simply different, which is enjoyable to read.

8/10

Ya, it was a great issue. I loved the big fight between SS and Misty knights, and I can't wait to see the fight between SS, Cap, & Falcon in the next issue.

Last edited:
Seriously... The whole "It'll take 3 minutes" thing was a great set-up for the Captain America/Falcon Vs. Silver Surfer for the next issue. I'm anticipating that a lot. :)

One thing I'm wondering, though... Where's Vision in all of this? I thought she was supposed to be a part of this. I guess we'll see soon enough. Perhaps she's got some sort of connection to Moon Dragon.

Goodwill said:
One thing I'm wondering, though... Where's Vision in all of this?

Well she is on the cover of issue #4

ULTEXT004_cov.jpg

Good looking cover. They must be hooking up Cerebro.

I noticed the "six", too. I really hope that this is a six issue piece, too... I think it would round it all up and it would seem more epic. Five issues isn't enough for an attempt at taking out the whole planet.

Last edited:
Great issue. Loved the nods to 616. The 'Sentry' version of the Hubble Space, Captain America and Falcon teaming up...it's all done great. Favorite part is when Nick tells Charles to "Hop to it", and then there's the panel of Charles in the wheel chair, followed by, "Or something." :lol:

The begging was done awesomely. Nick "vs" Reed like that, it was done great. And the Misty Knight fight with Silver Surfer, coolness. I'm sure betting Extinction WILL be the best part of the trilogy, MORE than I expected it to be.

Art was great again. Brandon is doing great stuff with these issues.

4/5

crap! i knew i forgot something. someone gimme a spoiler.

yeah, i was gonna say coming into this thread just now (and thinking you posted one), that it took freaking forever. thanks for nothing, jerks!

yeah, i went with the shop with my friend today (got him into comics, woo!), and i rushed to get out of there (as i'm ususally in there for an hour and a half talking to the two guys who work it), and i forgot it.

Goodwill said:
Without a doubt, Silver Surfer is trying to see to it that Earth meets its unfortunate fate... I really like that about him.

Really? I'm not so sure...

But yes, GREAT issue. Cap's monologue about believing in God was so well done, I was feeling sorry for the guy. Awesome scene.

I'm a little disappointment that Gah lak Tus seems to be a wave of robots...if that is indeed the case. It seems a little hokey.

and then someone has the audacity to post a comment on the issue without telling me what happens!

go back to the jerk-town that you're jerk-mayor of, jerk-face!

iceman said:
yeah, i was gonna say coming into this thread just now (and thinking you posted one), that it took freaking forever. thanks for nothing, jerks!

yeah, i went with the shop with my friend today (got him into comics, woo!), and i rushed to get out of there (as i'm ususally in there for an hour and a half talking to the two guys who work it), and i forgot it.

Ok, I'll be the nice guy. Here's a recap. It starts with a meeting at the Triskelion. With Nick Fury, Reed Richards, Sam Willson, and I think Tony Stark. Their arguing about how Fury need Reed to work with Sam, Marvel, & Tony at the Triskelion. Reed says he works better alone. They argue some more. When Fury gets a call to see som imagery from the Telescope called The Sentry. The run there to see a bunch of robots about a hundred Thousand miles long, and about seven days away for earth.

Then we see Fury and Steve Rogers talking about God, and Steve saying now with this on the way. How useless he feels compared to this thing.

Then we see Misty at the police station. To find out who are bold woman is. She talks to Captain DeWolfe, and The find out her name is Heather Douglas a.k.a. Heather Moon. But she's been dead for twenty-two years.

Fury then has a meeting with Xavier about tring to make contact with Gah Lak Tus. Xavier says no mutant he knows could make that kind of connection that far, even with Cerebro. Fury then says that he will give them a Bottomiess budget to make it happen. They agree and Fury says Hop to it.... or something.

We then go back to Misty. Who is coming into her office. Only to find a stranger there. He says I wasn't ready to be seen by outsiders yet. it's not time. Misty slowly pulls a gun out of her desk. the guy says There is a timetable to these things. An eternal schedule. She tells him I don't understand. Just go. I'll forget you were ever here. She then see a little of his skin and see it's Silver Surfer. He tells her, you must leave earlier than the others. points his finger, and then bam. he blasted outs the whole end of the room.

Back at the Triskelion. Fury, Steve, & Sam are just sitting and talking when Fury gets a call that there's been a distubence in the city. Steve and Sam hop to it.

Back at Misty's office Silver is still tring to hit Misty. She get out a round. Only to have the bullet to hit an invisible sheld around SS. Misty then dives for the fire extinguisher. Blast the him with it, and then hits him with it. Sending him fly out the window. He hits the ground. She drops the the extinguisher, and fires another round at it. Just as it hits SS. SS gets up and fires a blast at Misty and then To Be Continued.

thank you! jeez.

it seems good, if not as absurdly good as everyone is talkin' bout. willis.

E, I think what Silver Surfer said was enough to determine his motives. "You weren't supposed to see me yet" and "You will leave sooner than the others" tells me that 1.) He's going to eventually appear to the world - AND - 2.) He knows information enough about Galactus and how "it" functions - to kill a planet and obliterate all life - and he's tell Misty that he's going to pick her off before that happens... By attacking her, we know that he's not trying to prevent Galactus from coming. How do you figure?

Goodwill said:
E, I think what Silver Surfer said was enough to determine his motives. "You weren't supposed to see me yet" and "You will leave sooner than the others" tells me that 1.) He's going to eventually appear to the world - AND - 2.) He knows information enough about Galactus and how "it" functions - to kill a planet and obliterate all life - and he's tell Misty that he's going to pick her off before that happens... By attacking her, we know that he's not trying to prevent Galactus from coming. How do you figure?

My first thought was that he was transporting people, or building some kind of army. I think the "attack" may have been misread on her part. Both the quotes you pointed out could point toward him saving people (or the world) when the time is right.

Either that, or he is indeed some type of herald who will eventually turn on Gah Lak Tus.

Either way, I don't think he's killing people or trying to kill Misty.

Right - so this issue was very good indeed.

However, not only was the cliffhanger indecipherable (I ASSUME Surfer is shooting at Misty), but afterwards I thought - "and the point of #1 was?"

#1 was just Misty Knight. The Gah Lak Tus thing is still where it was in #1.

I dunno, I think #1 was a bit of a waste.

But #2 was very good indeed. Gah Lak Tus is really feeling like an imminent doom, Cap is wonderfully portrayed... it's going well so far. And I like the Silver Surfer. The way he just takes that fall - that was extremely well delivered by both Peterson and Ellis.

Nice job.

We'll see about the Silver Surfer... I hadn't figured it like E did, so, since he's up for interpretation, how this all ends up will be very interesting. Personally, I'd really like him to become a villain in the series.

Latest posts

Back