Ultimate Extinction #2 (SPOILERS)

Goodwill said:
We'll see about the Silver Surfer... I hadn't figured it like E did, so, since he's up for interpretation, how this all ends up will be very interesting. Personally, I'd really like him to become a villain in the series.

I'm certainly not saying you're wrong...you could very wwell be right. I'm just saying that wasn't my impression.

I liked the issue, favorite Ultimate book this week (versus UXM #67 and Marvel Zombies #3). The fact that Captain DeWolfe from USM showed up was cool, and I really liked how Silver Surfer came across. I didn't get as much out of the Cap scene as some of the rest of you, as I took that as a bit hokey, instead of the hundred thousand mile long alien robots or whatever...thats pretty scary to me, not hokey, though I see what you mean. Anyway, good stuff, I'm just wondering if this will be six issues instead of five...the way the pacing of the story is going 6 issues makes sense at this point. After all, we're 2 issues in and Gah Lak Tus is still a week away from Earth. And seeing as how I'm hoping the battle lasts longer than an issue, I'd say a six issue mini makes sense.

One question...considering this is the biggest threat the Ultimate universe has faced so far, will anyone die? Unlikely, given it occurs before Ultimates 2 and the gang's all there. Oh well...some of the characters should've died.

Well, it definitely added to the last issue.

Silver Surfer is one of the coolest characters ever. Too bad I'm making that judgement without knowing anything about him.

The whole in continuity thing is just bugging the hell out of me. Seeing Fury and Xavier and Fury talking to Cap like that and knowing that this takes place before Magnetic North and Ultimates 2 is just annoying.

The issue was good though. Can't wait to see the fight next issue.

I don't care about art unless it's terrible but DeWolff looked like an old woman.

3.5/5

Last edited:
yeah, i thought the same about DeWolffe.

also, i figured it out. how they beat Galactus.

Ultimate Sentry! to make him Ultimate, the Void can be Black! And a woman!

i'm loving what we've seen of ss so far. i am of the thinking that he's gathering survivors or something, but that in the end, he is one of the good guys. what will follow is a battle between him and cap and falcon (love that pairing) and it will all be a misunderstanding, and he'll help them out in the end. it happens in comics all the time, but that doesn't mean that it's not still cool.

I'm fascinated that the telescope is named Sentry and hoping there's something more there. Maybe the thing has artificial intelligence and it becomes conscious (is that the right word here?) and somehow helps mankind.

vintsukka said:
I'm fascinated that the telescope is named Sentry and hoping there's something more there. Maybe the thing has artificial intelligence and it becomes conscious (is that the right word here?) and somehow helps mankind.

Starting up an Ultimate Sentry story right now would be a disaster. Do we need to just throw him in the mix too? I would hope Ultimate Sentry would be handled more carefully.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Starting up an Ultimate Sentry story right now would be a disaster. Do we need to just throw him in the mix too? I would hope Ultimate Sentry would be handled more carefully.

I agree. Ellis just needed a clever name.

I think you guys are reading too much into the name "Sentry". I'd be surprised if it was related in any way shape or form.

Don't forget there was a Sentry of sorts before that yellow clad buffoon. The Kree Sentry, the artificial life form sent down to Earth milennia ago for some reason I've since forgotten.

I doubt the telescope is a Kree robot though.

Good issue though... Particularly Cap and Falcon.

I am very concerned with the influence Gah Lak Tus might have on the mind of Professor Xavier - or Jean Grey. Something about world-destroyers and Jean doesn't sit right with me.

Ultimate Iron Moose! said:
I am very concerned with the influence Gah Lak Tus might have on the mind of Professor Xavier - or Jean Grey. Something about world-destroyers and Jean doesn't sit right with me.

Welcome to the UC!!

That's a pretty logical concern, but I doubt Ellis would be responsible for any major tinkerings or revelations in the Phoenix story. Those things should, and hopefully will, only happen within Ultimate X Men. It looks like Kirkman is responsible for setting it up there, for Singer to finish eventually.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Definately nothing like the Sentry we know from 616, but I was thinking there might be something behind that name. Lord knows what.

Sentry is gonna turn into a solar powered giant fighting robot!

ROBOT WARS IN SPACE! MOTHER-****IN GUNDAM STYLE!

First of all, the cover was horrible, and why the heck was that sorry-looking excuse for a picture of Thing on it?

Too much misty sitting by some computer showing off her arm, talking about stuff we already know.

Goodwill said:
Captain America gave us an Academy Award-winning performance this time around.

Not that I think much of the Academy Awards, but I really think you over-rated this "profound" talk about God and belief, which has been done so many times in so many places by every even remotely 'tragic' hero out there. It didn't suck, but please.

Although, he made a point of that the more education people get, the less they believe in some religion.

the watcher (regarding the cover): could we keep the spoilers to THIS issue only, please?

I liked how Reed dissed Fury, but that tough guy image only lasted til he wanted to borrow the Sentry.

Gah Lak Tus as a swarm is a very nice change from the old purple guy that shuts up a lot. Something travelling from planet to planet, devouring, makes a lot of more sense if it's a swarm.

I'm looking forward to seeing cap getting his red, white and blue behind handed to him in the next issue (or the issue after that if the writer keeps Misty in the picture).

Art was so-so (once you got past the cover)

This whole issue was making very little progress and the goodness of the whole issue lies in the anticipation it creates instead of it being particularly good in itself.

3 / 5

Latest posts

Back