Ultimate Extinction #5 of 5 (SPOILERS!!!!!)

It was kind of a weak ending, but I expected as much when I read the last issue. How else could he have finished it? My favorite line was when Fury said "Human beings can kick the hell out of anything." Military man through and through.

I couldn't help, but wonder about the intelligence of sending the designs for such a powerful weapon to random planets. Also, I know they said Galactus wasn't that smart, but shouldn't it be able to adapt reasonably to a weapon that's already attacked it.

Issue: 2.5/5
Mini:3.5/5

Last edited:
Ultimate Houde said:
There could have been another civilization out there that did it.

I have a feeling it was left open ended with a purpose, for a future storyline when G comes a calling once again. Ellis probably was told to keep it open ended for that reason.

Good point.

And I am a scientist. I have trouble in believing a man can survive a 88 story building fall and land, able to kick butt. Oh, and the pyshic thing

Yeah, that too, another good point.

Nevermind the whole hive mind...wait a sec. It killed 20 percent of Galactus. So, theoritically, it destroyed numerous bug things. Maybe it felt that pain at once, not simply one bug thing dying, but 20% of it's hive dying at the same time. That's quite alot for a hive mind to harness at once.

I suppose, I guess the human equivalent would be like losing an arm or leg ang some torso...that is pretty major.

That could be it you know. Or maybe a past icvilization did defeat it, and the pain was a remembrance of that.

I think we simply do not have enough information presented to us to make a logical conclusion to what actually caused the entity to fly away in another direction.

I can live with that.

Thanks, Houde, you've put my mind at ease. Now will you get started on these stressed shoulder muscles? I'm all tensed up.

Victor Von Doom said:
Its not mandatory....just really appreciated when you're the first to make a thread about a certain issue. Some people don't make it to the store and get their issues thru subscriptions and sometime have to wait almost a week to get an issue but still would like to chime in with their thoughts. So yeah...not mandatory.....just appreciated.

I still stand by my anticlimatic post. The whole thing just ended so quickly and seemed like such a copout......especially with all the hype around it. Ellis has done better. Oh well.....at least there's Nextwave.

I must say, after reading the issue, it was a bit less cop-out-ish (not a word, I know) than the impression given by the summary. Still a cop-out, but not bad.

innocentboy said:
not i know ... but in all honestly, guess not everybody feels this way, but i AVOID spoilers with a passion on books i know i'm gonna get. for those that read summary's before reading the book, you never feel like the experience of reading that book was ruined?

Not personally. I enjoy spoilers.

I give this issue a 3/5, the mini a 4/5, and the entire trilogy a 4/5.

I'm still trying to make my mind up on this.

My biggest complaint is that there was only one panel that really helped convey how huge Gah lak Tus is and what a threat he is, and that was the full page spread where it's getting blasted (beautiful page too). I just think this series should have had more full pages or something to really nail home how big it is.

This issue felt rushed. There was so much going on and it just kindof ended quickly. No closure on the silver men or the clones, not enough buildup to Reed's weapon, and not enough focus on what Professor and Jean were doing - that was the biggest part of the story.

That part - channeling the human experience and hitting Gah Lak Tus with it was very Global Frequency. I liked it.

I also liked Reed's weapon. Cool idea to force-start a Big Bang.

I was also expecting some kind of closure for Captain America but we got nothing...he was dealing with this huge theological struggle in light of Gah lak Tus's existance and it didn't go anywhere. That scene last issue (I think) were he was talking to Fury about God was very powerful...but it was just kind of left hanging.

Ehhh, lukewarm (at best) to the ending. It had some nice character moments, but after all the build-up of how much of a threat Galactus was, the final confrontation seemed like an anti-climax.

Nice Nick Fury moments at the end. Ellis remembers how to write Jackson King, methinks...

DIrishB said:
I must say, after reading the issue, it was a bit less cop-out-ish (not a word, I know) than the impression given by the summary. Still a cop-out, but not bad.

Oh, so I'm giving out cop-out-ish impression, am I?

:furious:

Last edited:
OK my oppinion of it : good story after all but it left me with ONE big question:
where are Sam Wilson and Mahr Vell during Ultimates 2 ?

Hellharlequin said:
OK my oppinion of it : good story after all but it left me with ONE big question:
where are Sam Wilson and Mahr Vell during Ultimates 2 ?

Good question. . .

Seeing as Sam and Phil were the biggest (And best, in my opinion) additions to the Ultimate U we've seen in awhile, it is a little dissapointing that we don't see them in Ultimates 2, unless they show up in issue 12.

Also, Sam is going to co-star in the Ultimates Annual 2, so we know they haven't dissapeared.

Maybe the two of them have been working on top-secret S.H.I.E.L.D. projects?

It was a fun read, but fully agree that the Galactus arc was a bit underwhelming because you do not feel the epic nature of it unlike how it was built up by Nightmare and Secret.

I felt that Misty Knight was just tacked on and the only purpose why the Moondragons are there was that the Ultimates and X-Men had something to fight aside from the Silver Surfers.

I liked Reed's weapon, it really shows how clever Ellis is. Gah Lak Tus pussing out felt like a cop-out but I understand the logic of the thing. It's not that Gah Lak Tus thinks it's no match. It's just inconvenient. Like why would a hawk try to eat a skunk when rats would be easier to fight and they don't spew stinky liquids. This also opens up the possibility of Gah Lak Tus and Silver Surfer's return in the future. Who knows, now that Gah Lak Tus realizes that its primitive psychology is its main weakness, it might try to "evolve" into a more intelligent entity.

MaxwellSmart said:
My favorite line was when Fury said "Human beings can kick the hell out of anything." Military man through and through.

Great line. Actually made me laugh a bit.
Otherwise, though, this book was a total downer, and finally took the final shine off of Ultimate Nightmare, which was so good it carried me through Ultimate Fillibuster* and most of Ultimate Letdown.
For a story full of good ideas and good art, where did it go wrong? Primarily characters. I just didn't give a damn whether anybody lived or died in this book. The dialogue was wooden, the attitudes were forced ... eh, you get the point. Add to this a bit of force-fitting to get the plot wrapped up, and you have what we've got here.
The Extinction series gets a 1.5 of 5, including a full half-point reduction for the inexplicable "Captain Whitey" exchange.
On the up-side, I'm liking the UFF book these days. Go zombies!

*A series most notable for filling an ENTIRE PAGE with a shot of THE WALL of a SHIELD facility. It is the page opposite the almost-as-boring rocket launch, if you care to find it. Open the book, fold the rocket page over, and look ... a wall. In light of that (and all the other pointless two-page splashes) can anybody tell me with a straight face the series wasn't a deliberate time-waster?

plungingforward said:
Great line. Actually made me laugh a bit.
Otherwise, though, this book was a total downer, and finally took the final shine off of Ultimate Nightmare, which was so good it carried me through Ultimate Fillibuster* and most of Ultimate Letdown.
For a story full of good ideas and good art, where did it go wrong? Primarily characters. I just didn't give a damn whether anybody lived or died in this book. The dialogue was wooden, the attitudes were forced ... eh, you get the point. Add to this a bit of force-fitting to get the plot wrapped up, and you have what we've got here.
The Extinction series gets a 1.5 of 5, including a full half-point reduction for the inexplicable "Captain Whitey" exchange.
On the up-side, I'm liking the UFF book these days. Go zombies!

*A series most notable for filling an ENTIRE PAGE with a shot of THE WALL of a SHIELD facility. It is the page opposite the almost-as-boring rocket launch, if you care to find it. Open the book, fold the rocket page over, and look ... a wall. In light of that (and all the other pointless two-page splashes) can anybody tell me with a straight face the series wasn't a deliberate time-waster?

Awesome post. These points bring it all back to my other thread on this train of thought.

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5402

The ending did seem rushed and anticlimactic, but that's how it was gonna be from the start. It was pretty clear G wouldn't land but they would find a way to "scare" it away. I'm actually kinda liking it, it made sense in a way and the door was left open for G to return some day.

I liked that fact that Reed's plan was to harness the young universe's big bang, and not send G to the universe as most here (including me) were expecting.

Victor Von Doom said:
I still stand by my anticlimatic post.
You're right, your post was anticlimactic. It lacked drama.

Victor Von Doom said:
Haha...word play...brilliant.

It wasn't a wordplay. It's the litteral interpretation of what you wrote. And yes, it's funny. See : :lol:

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Oh, so I'm giving out cop-out-ish impression, am I?

:furious:

Not at all. Your summary was superb and inclusive of the entire story. Its just a summary, however, and only meant to be a short breakdown of the issue itself. Once I read the actual issue I agreed the story was rushed, which is the original impression I had from your summary. It was just padded being the issue itself. Therefore, not as rushed.

;)

Lynx said:
Good question. . .

Seeing as Sam and Phil were the biggest (And best, in my opinion) additions to the Ultimate U we've seen in awhile, it is a little dissapointing that we don't see them in Ultimates 2, unless they show up in issue 12.

Also, Sam is going to co-star in the Ultimates Annual 2, so we know they haven't dissapeared.

Maybe the two of them have been working on top-secret S.H.I.E.L.D. projects?

Probably. We'll probably get at least a little backstory info on what Wilson has been up to since the events of Ultimate Extinction in the Annual, but probably no more than an off hand comment, etc. As for Mahr-vel, I'm sure we'll see him in the future, its just a matter of when and in what title or mini.

cmdrjanjalani said:
It was a fun read, but fully agree that the Galactus arc was a bit underwhelming because you do not feel the epic nature of it unlike how it was built up by Nightmare and Secret.

I felt that Misty Knight was just tacked on and the only purpose why the Moondragons are there was that the Ultimates and X-Men had something to fight aside from the Silver Surfers.

I liked Reed's weapon, it really shows how clever Ellis is. Gah Lak Tus pussing out felt like a cop-out but I understand the logic of the thing. It's not that Gah Lak Tus thinks it's no match. It's just inconvenient. Like why would a hawk try to eat a skunk when rats would be easier to fight and they don't spew stinky liquids. This also opens up the possibility of Gah Lak Tus and Silver Surfer's return in the future. Who knows, now that Gah Lak Tus realizes that its primitive psychology is its main weakness, it might try to "evolve" into a more intelligent entity.

Good thoughts.

i was also thinking tha gah lak tus has never been imjured before, like vison said out of all the times a race has not even been able to slow it down, but they actually destroyed part of it so it probably ran off because 1) it was in shoch and 2) for all it knew they could have had more guns

Spade said:
i was also thinking tha gah lak tus has never been imjured before, like vison said out of all the times a race has not even been able to slow it down, but they actually destroyed part of it so it probably ran off because 1) it was in shoch and 2) for all it knew they could have had more guns
Good point. I support your reasoning, but still think it need more action. It was a lot of holding your breath and then bang it was over. Now I'm thinking the only reason for the clone people was to let the other character do something.

Am I the only one who thinks it's the single most moronic ****ing idea Fury has ever had to send plans for a super-WMD capable of blowing up to species he has no idea about? What if the Skrull's or the Kree get a hold of it and use it to destroy the civilizations that Earth was trying to save or the Earth itself?

Hyperstorm said:
Am I the only one who thinks it's the single most moronic ****ing idea Fury has ever had to send plans for a super-WMD capable of blowing up to species he has no idea about? What if the Skrull's or the Kree get a hold of it and use it to destroy the civilizations that Earth was trying to save or the Earth itself?

Well, it was a cool trick for Ellis to throw that out there for other writers to pick up on.

But yes, it was really stupid (And somehwat out-of-character) of Fury to do that.

Latest posts

Back