Ultimate Fantastic 4 #27 discussion [spoilers]

TheManWithoutFear said:
The movie... was "The Sound of Thunder" wasn't it a book first? And the movie never made it out. Where the **** is that movie?! I keep waiting and waiting for it. I think Edward Burns is in it.

Yeah, it was a short story about a company allowing time travel, so long as you don't influence anything in the past. On one journey, a guy freaks out and leaves the designated trail, accidently killing a Butterfly (Taken directly from the Butterfly Effect Theory). When he goes back, EVERYTHING is different.

So, let's say I kill an ant or something... Does that mean that the President will be assassinated eventually? I don't think so. The Butterfly Effect was probably derived from some crackpot science fiction author. Or Mark Millar.

Goodwill said:
So, let's say I kill an ant or something... Does that mean that the President will be assassinated eventually? I don't think so. The Butterfly Effect was probably derived from some crackpot science fiction author. Or Mark Millar.

Drugs are bad.

Go Goodwill, finally someone that isn't blinded by fandom and "but that is what FF was always about!"-ishness.

Goodwill said:

The point of the Butterfly Effect is that is causes a chain reaction. Let's say you decided to become a psychologist instead of an archeologist (All hypothetical, of course, since I don't know you personally). The people you affect in either of those branching careers could have profound effects on other's lives. Just because you went one way or another, you change how people act, or how people live.

For someone as important as Reed Richards, not having the accident could have profound implications on the world. And so it does.

Last edited:
Lynx said:
The point of the Butterfly Effect is that is causes a chain reaction. Let's say you decided to become a psychologist instead of an archeologist (All hypothetical, of course, since I don't know you personally). The people you affect in either of those branching careers could have profound effects on other's lives. Just because you went one way or another, you change how people act, or how people live.

For someone as important as Reed Richards, not having the accident could have profound implications on the world. And so it does.
BIIIIIINGO!!!

Originally Posted by Lynx

Yeah, he could have never created a time machine.......

Ultxon said:
Yeah, he could have never created a time machine.......

True, but who's to say he didn't? Or who's to say the Victor in this alternate timeline did or didn't? There's a lot of "ifs".

Originally Posted by Lynx
True, but who's to say he didn't? Or who's to say the Victor in this alternate timeline did or didn't? There's a lot of "ifs".

Yeah, see that, ice. I didn't kill the thread!

actualy I wanted to ask if in Ultimate it has been stated that time travel only creates new realities like 616.

And not one of you think that this butterfly effect is a cheap way of remaking a universe? Because I do.

I prefer the 'elastic history' theory of some other fiction work involving time travel.

In that kind of time travel story, only personal lives can easily be dramatically altered by time travelling. The large picture tend to spring back into place.

For example, you go back to kill Hitler as a baby, and return to the present to find out a guy named Muller did pretty much the same thing. You'd have to somehow alter all of the politico-socio-economic context of 30s Germany to avoid the War. Killing one man isn't nearly enough in that vision.

It's less wacky than the butterfly effect at work here, IMO. Of course, it's less colorful and therefore less FF.

Still, the problem with Butterfly effect, somewhat demonstrated in the movie of the same name, is that it's virtually impossible to go back to the Statu Quo. And we know Millar has to go back to the statu quo. He can't permanently change the UU in that one 3 part arc. But I anticipate that to return things to the statu quo, we'll have to suspend disbelief a bit harder than we're used to.

"The Butterfly Theory" comes from a short story (whose name I forget, I think it had "Thunder" in the title, but I could be remarkably mistaken).

In it, there are time travel safari expeditions to prehistoric time where you can hunt dinosaurs. How cool is that? Anyhow, on these expeditions there is a marked path that you are absolutely not allowed off. You must stay on the path. Also, the animals you can kill are specifically marked.

Now, before the expedition, the country just had a government election, in which one candidate won.

They go back in time and the guy who has gone for a safari jaunt accidentally steps off the path, slips, and steps on a butterfly.

When they return to the present, the other candidate won the election.

That's where it comes from.

Korinthian said:
And not one of you think that this butterfly effect is a cheap way of remaking a universe? Because I do.
It's not a cheap way of anything. It just the term used for the actions that happened. You do something in the past, it WILL affect the future.

Well, in the Feng-Shui roleplaying game, (Which use an elastic history paradigm), the only way to change the future is to go in the past and control the major feng shui site. Because he who controls the chi flows controls the world.

:D

You gotta admit it is an amusing concept. Cheap, but amusing.

icemasterron said:
It's not a cheap way of anything. It just the term used for the actions that happened.

It is cheap because the explaination is too simple, it takes shortcuts.

icemasterron said:
You do something in the past, it WILL affect the future.

How do you know? Because it worked like that in Terminator?

Please.

evil said:
More to the point, what is the non-cheap way to remake a universe?

I have yet to see one. Personally I don't think it shows any respect for the reader to do something like that, any way you do it, it will sound stupid (to me and most probably to the majority of people out there).

This is your (you know who) cue to tell me that it's just a comic book, btw.

Terminator has nothing to do with this. It's just how it all works. Nothing cheap.

If you kill someone in the past, you don't think it will affect the future? :roll:

Last edited:
ice: It's all fiction, and you talk about time-travelling like you had done it yourself.

But to not answer your question: I don't think you could kill someone in the past.

Latest posts

Back