Ultimate Fantastic Four #29 (Spoilers)

MaxwellSmart said:
Was I the only one thinking what happens when the Human meet the skrull again. I was expecting a warning from Ben after he went back in time to fix the accident. I just assumed they would tie up the loose end of the inevitable future encounter with the skrull.

Why? When that can leave open a possible story for the future...

Anyway, I just picked up this issue. I liked it. I'll give it a 4/5. I liked how it tied everything together, and the Ben as Super-skrull was a pretty big shocker.

One more thing...anyone notice on the last page, in Doom's little lair of horrors the woman standing next to him? Anyone want to bet thats Johnny and Sue's mom? Just a theory, but I'm sticking to it.

Surprised no one mentioned that before.

MaxwellSmart said:
Was I the only one thinking what happens when the Human meet the skrull again. I was expecting a warning from Ben after he went back in time to fix the accident. I just assumed they would tie up the loose end of the inevitable future encounter with the skrull.

I was pretty much thinking that Ben didn't have time to warn anyone about anything other than the immediate danger he intended to warn them about. That'sall.

DIRISHB said:
One more thing...anyone notice on the last page, in Doom's little lair of horrors the woman standing next to him? Anyone want to bet thats Johnny and Sue's mom? Just a theory, but I'm sticking to it.

Surprised no one mentioned that before.
Theory? More like fact if you ask me. I just thought it was obvious.

iceman said:
am i the only person to think this arc/run totally kicks ***? millar is writing UFF like stan lee wrote FF: he is making them go on EXTREMELY ridiculous missions to other universes and timelines, but the journeys stem out of the four's personality! they aren't random, they have reason. YET THEY ARE THE MOST OVER THE TOP THINGS EVER!

I friggin love it! The characterization has been good, the art has been sexy (and I'm not the hugest Land fan), it really seems like Millar knows how to do this book. such focus, yet such whimsy!

I loved Ellis' run. A lot. Among the best dialogue I've ever read, but this arc is just something else.

Agreed. Millar said he'd love an extra year on this if he wasn't busy with other projects.

liked the issue, i agree that the ending was rushed. nice twist with ben being super skrull. i'm really liking zombie reed and his constant menacing. even locked up he seems really sinister, more than the the rest of the zombies in the marvel zombies mini.

iceman said:
am i the only person to think this arc/run totally kicks ***? millar is writing UFF like stan lee wrote FF: he is making them go on EXTREMELY ridiculous missions to other universes and timelines, but the journeys stem out of the four's personality! they aren't random, they have reason. YET THEY ARE THE MOST OVER THE TOP THINGS EVER!

I friggin love it! The characterization has been good, the art has been sexy (and I'm not the hugest Land fan), it really seems like Millar knows how to do this book. such focus, yet such whimsy!

I loved Ellis' run. A lot. Among the best dialogue I've ever read, but this arc is just something else.

I still found Ellis/Immonen's run of UFF to be my fav. But I love the over-the-topness of Millar's run. It's a shame he's leaving....but I'm hoping the next person decides to have his arcs longer than 3 issues.

this is my favorite arc so far, second being the firt doom arc. i'm really enjoying the frightful four subplot, it just builds and builds. throughout millars run thats been the ongoing story. good read

Last edited:
Victor Von Doom said:
Right. No official super Skrull.....just one suit.

For me, the Skrull Mr. Burns is the Super Skrull, since he is the only one who wears that suit. Take note they called it an anti-assassination suit, so its doubtful that any of the grunts wore this.

It was a nice conclusion and totally unexpected. My only problem was they called this arc "President Thor", and Thor really doesn't do anything but die in this issue. At least Reed and Johnny, heck even that Jasmine chick had some lines before they bit it.

Last edited:
cmdrjanjalani said:
My only problem was they called this arc "President Thor", and Thor really doesn't do anything but die in this issue.

You know...I kept meaning to talk about this. Why DID they call it President Thor?

Victor Von Doom said:
You know...I kept meaning to talk about this. Why DID they call it President Thor?
To sell it to us.
Millar knows how much everyone loves Ultimate Thor, so he just slapped Thor's name on it so he could ensure we got at least the first two parts of the story.

It's the same reason he told us there would be a "Storm family secret" in Tomb of Namor or that Ben would get laid in "President Thor".
Millar knows how to sell comics. And, from what I've seen, he's taught Grant Morrison how to overhype as well. When Millar's whole run is over I'm gonna do a post based on everything he said in that very first newsarama.com interview where he hyped up his UFF run in advance...and I'll see what he's delivered by the end of it.

And, to quote Wolverine on this, folks, "We got schooled."

I look forward to that post, Nas-T. (Worth pointing out that the cover shows Thor fighting said Super-Skrull, when the Super-Skrull isn't even a villain. It's also worth pointing out that Millar's entire run so far has been playing with the concept of hyping us to believe some 616 convention, only to flip it in the Ultimate universe - 616/UU crossover, Namor as king, Super-Skrull as villain - yet such twists would be lost on the target audience of the UU: people who have no clue about the Fantastic Four. It appeals to fanboys. So I find this entire charade rather dubious. That and Millar says he hopes to add to the titles he's writing in a similar, but more humble, extent what Lee & Kirby added to theirs - hard to do if you don't invent anything new, save parallel zombie versions of the main team, instead just revamping Lee & Kirby inventions.)

I didn't pick this up, because Millar's run has been so unbelievably tired... well, I just can't believe it. So I read the synopsis.

The first thing I thought was that the Super-Skrull was Ben. What I thought was going to happen was that Ben would, in order to save the world in some roundabout way, take a half a dozen of the superhuman pills (hence why he would have so many powers) so that he could travel into the past with the ability to prevent that future from happening.

Regardless, the story of "President Thor" is - feeling bad about a past event, the F4 travel back in time to fix said event which totally and utterly changes the present - for the better. However, it turns out it's not really that much better and in fact, it's really much worse, and so they travel back in time to stop them fixing time and their hearts burst from the irony.

I remember Millar saying how the F4 should be "fantastic" and "crowded with crazy ideas", that "nothing is too much" for them.

I've seen this storyline played out in every single incarnation of Star Trek. It is not a crazy idea. It's a cliche. Like this entire run.

I mean, it seems Millar has one really small good idea in each story, and that's it. (The spiders, Namor being a prisoner, Superman punching into the zombieverse - although, it didn't happen that way, still...) Sadly, those ideas aren't the backbone of his story, but an add-on.

Bleh.

Millar can be a really good writer when he writes somewhat simplistic action adventure stories. He can be really amazing. But I don't think he's any good when he tries to "go really far" or any such nonsense. Too often, Millar's downfall is he seems to get more interested in hyping his work than actually writing it. I think UF4 is one of those titles.

Last edited:
Super Skrull was neither super nor a Skrull.

Discuss

</Linda Richman>

Victor Von Doom said:
One thing I noticed....and I might be wrong....but does anyone notice how it looked like they changed artist on the last 2-3 pages? It doesn't look like Land's work. The coloring is the same.....just not the look.
The credits say:
Greg Land - pencils
Matt Ryan - inks
Mitch Breitweiser - art (pages 21-24)

So the fact that it doesn't look like Land's might be because it isn't.

Any idea why this was done? Was Land behind the schedule and needed outside help? And who is Mitch Breitweiser anyway?

E said:
Super Skrull was neither super nor a Skrull.

Discuss

</Linda Richman>

When Ben escapes into the Baxter Building, a Skrull soldier tells to his comrade that 'Super Skrull' (meaning shriveled old Skrull geezer) told them that Ben was going to the time machine. I actually found that a little weird. I would have expected them to refer to Super Skrull using his title and real name.

vintsukka said:
The credits say:
Greg Land - pencils
Matt Ryan - inks
Mitch Breitweiser - art (pages 21-24)

So the fact that it doesn't look like Land's might be because it isn't.

Any idea why this was done? Was Land behind the schedule and needed outside help? And who is Mitch Breitweiser anyway?

He could have been behind schedule as the next issue is delayed as well.

Just got this issue yesterday and the best thing about it was the letters page.

Anyone notice Nur's letter being printed :)

:rockon:

Last edited:
Nurhachi said:
Just got this issue yesterday and the best thing about it was the letters page.

Anyone notice Nur's letter being printed :)

Latest posts

Back