Ultimate Handbook 2005 USM & UFF [editor notes begin on pg. 7]

notTHATtodd said:
You are right. I've never noticed that tiny little paragraph in the corner before (I've never even seen the trades for UMTU). They spent more time on the Black Widow and Iron Man origins in UMTU and those two have been - apparently - jettisoned.

How was the Black Widow one ignored? And the Iron Man one, I just write that off (the speech Peter gave about Tony's early life) as a false story Tony cooked up to both **** with the press and keep his early life secret.

I guess it is curious to note what was kept from UMTU and what wasn't. As I mentioned earlier, it seems to depend entirely on whether or not there was a reference to it elsewhere (there sort of was a reference to the Man-Thing issue in USM, Doc Connor specifically) or if there has been some other source that says something different. This, of course, means that UMTU is left both in and out of continuity, depending on the characters involved and whether or not a different source has been published.

UMTU is still in continuity with the exception of the minor Tony origin hiccups with the UIM mini. And if you use my explanation, it still works.

DIrishB said:
How was the Black Widow one ignored? And the Iron Man one, I just write that off (the speech Peter gave about Tony's early life) as a false story Tony cooked up to both **** with the press and keep his early life secret.

I missed a section in the Spiderman entry. The UMTU stuff is there *grumble grumble*

TheManWithoutFear said:
Nothing on how he got the powers
The less said on that aspect of Ultimate Daredevil, the better. That way, the character is less set in stone when and if they decide to Ultimatize the character.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Nothing on how he got the powers

He got his power first by appearing in a cheesy and harmless teen film directed by Kevin Smith, but lost his sight when he performed in an abortion of a war film about a bunch of ships and this half crazed cook and a big muckin' gun. This lead directly to further embaressment involving a dancing monkey...and Cartman.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I know but that's pretty general. A "Childhood" accident. Not "The" childhook accident. Still room for ultimizing which is what OurChair is saying. Don't worry. I appreciate you too, Ice.
No, no, it looks like THE accident.

I should've explained earlier. This is what DD narrates himself:

A childhood accident took my sight. This is what I see when I open my eyes. Don't pity me though. I hate that. See, the same accident that took my sight, enhanced my other senses to amazing levels.

etc.

See? It's THE accident alright.

icemastertron said:
No, no, it looks like THE accident.

I should've explained earlier. This is what DD narrates himself:

A childhood accident took my sight. This is what I see when I open my eyes. Don't pity me though. I hate that. See, the same accident that took my sight, enhanced my other senses to amazing levels.

etc.

See? It's THE accident alright.

I agree that it's probably THE accident but there's a lot of fans out there that want a complete reboot on the character and would like anything about "THE" accident to different just to be ultimate.

If we do get a reboot of his origin, than there would be more continuity problems because Bendis already established how he became who he is. It's not a possibility, it IS.

icemastertron said:
If we do get a reboot of his origin, than there would be more continuity problems because Bendis already established how he became who he is. It's not a possibility, it IS.

I disagree. The way he got his powers was left very vague and generalized, basically all we know is he had an accident as a child. There's plenty of room for a new take on him gaining his powers without causing further continuity problems.

DIrishB said:
I disagree. The way he got his powers was left very vague and generalized, basically all we know is he had an accident as a child. There's plenty of room for a new take on him gaining his powers without causing further continuity problems.
That's not what I meant, though I do know what you mean.

DIrishB said:
Were you referring to the childhood accident being similar to the 616 origin?
No. The way the post read to me, was that people wanted a different [all together] origin. If that's not what was meant, than sorry. It's just the way it read to me.

icemastertron said:
No. The way the post read to me, was that people wanted a different [all together] origin. If that's not what was meant, than sorry. It's just the way it read to me.

Oh ok...I really don't care either way, I'd just like to see more of Daredevil's origin and past explored more, and maybe some more stories set in the present (whether its another DD mini or guest appearances in USM).

I was a little disappointed. I know the continuity-free approach of the UU means we will never get really comprehensive back stories for these characters (or will have to assume they're similar to 616 until otherwise noted), but the handbook would be a great place to unload content that never made it to the printed page regarding the pasts of these people.

Latest posts

Back